1,300 Posts
87 Users
684 Likes
51.6 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7393

Ok I’m done talking about this WE HAVE A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TO WIN TOMORROW LETS GOOOOO

HandyNotDan reacted
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 361

@maroon_and_gold 

Again, the people who follow Big Ten hockey the most picked Kneiss as the league MVP over Fantilli and Cooley.  IT only changes when you add in national voters who do not follow Big Ten hockey as closeyl.

The best player of the best team is Kneis, not Fantilli.

The Hobey Baker voters counterfeit the Big Ten voters because they have limited knowledge and east coast bias.   

If Fantilli was the Big Ten Player of the Year, then I would have not wasted my time arguing.  But the opposite was true.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Both are terrific players. Only one has a chance to win a championship tomorrow night. Let’s celebrate that. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3957
Post on old board: 9428

Knies is so due for a big game that I don’t see how a Hobey “snub” could make him any more motivated than he already is. I expect him to look like he’s shot out of a cannon at puck drop Sat night. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @mlhouse

@maroon_and_gold 

Bullshit.  The voters that know all three Hobey finalists the best picked Kneis as the Big Ten Player of the year.  And for good reason.   He was the MVP of the best team in the Conference and Nation.  THey could have picked Fantili but they passed.  

Bullshit choice that was influenced by the East coast media who worships Michigan sports.  WHy do you think Michigan played in the prime time spot last night instead of the #1 ranked team in the nation?

Wow...do you believe in Bigfoot too?

BTW Bob was happy to have the early game but I guess he must have a Michigan bias too.

Good lord...now there is an East Coast Bias for a midwestern team and that is why a player that plenty of people thought was the best in the country was voted best in the country?  Are you friggin serious?

I wanted Knies to win, but it is not some great miscarriage of justice that Fantilli did and to pretend otherwise is just maroon and gold glasses doused in sour grapes.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Heard Potulny on the radio this past week and he said Johnny Pohl not getting the Hobey really motivated the team in 2002.  Hopefully similar results this year.

Why would Pohl not getting the Hobey motivate the team when Leopold did win the Hobey the same year?  Johnny wasn't even in the final 3 and honestly shouldn't have been.

Sorry I don't buy it one bit.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

@maroon_and_gold 

Bullshit.  The voters that know all three Hobey finalists the best picked Kneis as the Big Ten Player of the year.  And for good reason.   He was the MVP of the best team in the Conference and Nation.  THey could have picked Fantili but they passed.  

Bullshit choice that was influenced by the East coast media who worships Michigan sports.  WHy do you think Michigan played in the prime time spot last night instead of the #1 ranked team in the nation?

Knies and Cooley are PHENOMENAL players but was Fantilli not the favorite to win it? People are acting like our guys got robbed. They didn’t. All 3 are great players and it went to the player with the best individual season. News flash that’s how the Hobey works. 

Also I don’t get people that say they know enough about a man’s character based on limited television viewings to say they aren’t deserving of the Hobey. I think Fantilli is a total douche but I’m not ready to disqualify him over it. If I were on the committee I would begrudgingly vote for Fantilli. 

If Fantilli wore maroon and gold I think we’d all have a different tune. 

And how are we to know that Cooley and Knies aren't just as douchey?  Not saying they are but we pretend we know all about these kids cause we see them on TV a lot...we know nothing.

And 100% if Fantilli was a Gopher no one would be whining about his character if he won the Hobey.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @handyman

Heard Potulny on the radio this past week and he said Johnny Pohl not getting the Hobey really motivated the team in 2002.  Hopefully similar results this year.

Why would Pohl not getting the Hobey motivate the team when Leopold did win the Hobey the same year?  Johnny wasn't even in the final 3 and honestly shouldn't have been.

Sorry I don't buy it one bit

Well since Leo did win it that year I'm thinking...

I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

@maroon_and_gold 

Again, the people who follow Big Ten hockey the most picked Kneiss as the league MVP over Fantilli and Cooley.  IT only changes when you add in national voters who do not follow Big Ten hockey as closeyl.

The best player of the best team is Kneis, not Fantilli.

The Hobey Baker voters counterfeit the Big Ten voters because they have limited knowledge and east coast bias.   

If Fantilli was the Big Ten Player of the Year, then I would have not wasted my time arguing.  But the opposite was true.

You understand the difference between the Big Ten Player of the Year and the Hobey Baker right?  Knies was the best player in Big Ten play, the national voters thought Fantilli was the best player in ALL games.  This isnt rocket science.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

But that is what I said.  If Potulny was making a joke idontknow doesn't seem to be hinting at it since he said "hopefully similar results this year".  Reads to me like it was a sincere quote which makes zero sense.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Both are terrific players. Only one has a chance to win a championship tomorrow night. Let’s celebrate that. 

Seriously.  You would think the Hobey Baker Committee just kicked all their dogs and then revoked our title chances the way people are upset.  Let Fantilli have his award...last I checked he is sitting at home while Cooley and Knies have a shot to get #6.  Who do you think is probably in a better mood?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

But that is what I said.  If Potulny was making a joke idontknow doesn't seem to be hinting at it since he said "hopefully similar results this year".  Reads to me like it was a sincere quote which makes zero sense.

Why I think it's hilarious, these guys still giving each other the needle after 20 years.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 361

@handyman 

LOL!   The national media voted on statistics and their east coast bias. 

I will repeat, why do you think Michigan played in the prime time game over Minnesota, the #1 ranked team in the nation?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@maroon_and_gold 

Knies and Cooley are PHENOMENAL players but was Fantilli not the favorite to win it? People are acting like our guys got robbed. They didn’t. All 3 are great players and it went to the player with the best individual season. News flash that’s how the Hobey works. 

Also I don’t get people that say they know enough about a man’s character based on limited television viewings to say they aren’t deserving of the Hobey. I think Fantilli is a total douche but I’m not ready to disqualify him over it. If I were on the committee I would begrudgingly vote for Fantilli. 

And how are we to know that Cooley and Knies aren't just as douchey?  Not saying they are but we pretend we know all about these kids cause we see them on TV a lot...we know nothing.

And 100% if Fantilli was a Gopher no one would be whining about his character if he won the Hobey.

Exactly my point

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Seriously.  You would think the Hobey Baker Committee just kicked all their dogs and then revoked our title chances the way people are upset.  Let Fantilli have his award...last I checked he is sitting at home while Cooley and Knies have a shot to get #6.  Who do you think is probably in a better mood?

Dude are you reading the conversation at all I’m the guy defending Fantilli… never mind. 

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1165

If Potulny was joking it was the most deadpan delivery ever.  But yeah it doesn't really make sense if Leo won it. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7652
Post on old board: 35040

@handyman 

I will repeat, why do you think Michigan played in the prime time game over Minnesota, the #1 ranked team in the nation?

Extra rest for the top ranked team. I know it doesn't make sense, it's 3 hours or so but that is the reason. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 241

So the Hobey & all the BS about sportsmanship, yada, yada, yada has very little to do with the award. If your are a forward points seems to be the only factor. Then let’s stop the Hobey BS presentation about the man 100 years ago since it has nothing to do with who gets it today. Clearly, the committee doesn’t look past stats since that is the easy thing to see. Digging into the extra things a player may do on the ice that isn’t kept as a stat is too much work for the committee to get a feel for. (Races to pucks, back checking, stealing pucks from other players & various things to set up scoring) is not considered. Knies IS the complete player. If Fantelli had a huge lead in points, fine.  He didn’t so lets stop the charade about everything except points when looking at a forward player. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

It's the Hobey. Let's win the award that people remember. 😉

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

This team has already clinched a 2 banner season. Now to make sure it’s a gold one. 

HandyNotDan reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @wincav

So the Hobey & all the BS about sportsmanship, yada, yada, yada has very little to do with the award. If your are a forward points seems to be the only factor. Then let’s stop the Hobey BS presentation about the man 100 years ago since it has nothing to do with who gets it today. Clearly, the committee doesn’t look past stats since that is the easy thing to see. Digging into the extra things a player may do on the ice that isn’t kept as a stat is too much work for the committee to get a feel for. (Races to pucks, back checking, stealing pucks from other players & various things to set up scoring) is not considered. Knies IS the complete player. If Fantelli had a huge lead in points, fine.  He didn’t so lets stop the charade about everything except points when looking at a forward player. 

Fantilli scored 50% more points than Knies. That's more than a huge lead

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 330

Knies, Cooley, Faber 1st team All-Americans

The only other time the Gophers had 3 in a single year was 1954, I recognize one of these names. 

1954 Ken Yackel, Sr. Defense
1954 Dick Dougherty Wing
1954 John Mayasich Center

Also In 1954, Michigan lost in the Semis, The Gophers beat a "Boston" in the semis....  But The Championship Game didn't go our way. 

Lets win 2023 for Mayasich! 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

@handyman 

And you are voting on your bias towards a kid on the home town team.  Keep pretending it is some conspiracy though...the truth is out there Scully!

But please enlighten us on how you know Fantilli is kicking puppies while Knies is walking little old ladies across the street!

And Rube answered your question.  And again Bob went out of his way to mention how much he liked playing the early game.  He must have an East Coast bias too. (Cause Michigan is definitely an East Coast team)

Riddle me this Scully...ESPN is in Connecticut.  Quinnipiac is located in *checks notes* Hamden, Connecticut.  Shouldn't ESPN (and all the so called East Coast Media) have been pulling for them and pimping them?  Follow up...was the media in the West that likely voted for Fantilli also biased and if so why?  

Just stop.  Unless you are Knies' or Cooley's dad you are way too emotional over this.  It's just a postseason award plenty of great players didn't win it.  I guarantee the players would rather win the banner over the Hobey...

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Dude are you reading the conversation at all I’m the guy defending Fantilli… never mind. 

Dude I was agreeing with you.  I was talking about the people upset not you.  Re-read it Smile

(I said "their" not "your" )

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

If Potulny was joking it was the most deadpan delivery ever.  But yeah it doesn't really make sense if Leo won it. 

To be fair he is pretty deadpan...they don't understand  humor in NoDak 😉

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 330

"Heard Potulny on the radio this past week and he said Johnny Pohl not getting the Hobey really motivated the team in 2002.  Hopefully similar results this year."

FYI I would assume Potulny was referring to Pohl not even getting in the final 10 of the Hobey with his comment.  See link below for the top ten in 2002. 

https://hobeybaker.com/past-hattrick/2002-winner/

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1165

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

"Heard Potulny on the radio this past week and he said Johnny Pohl not getting the Hobey really motivated the team in 2002.  Hopefully similar results this year."

FYI I would assume Potulny was referring to Pohl not even getting in the final 10 of the Hobey with his comment.  See link below for the top ten in 2002. 

https://hobeybaker.com/past-hattrick/2002-winner/

That would make more sense with the way he said it.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

We’re embarrassing ourselves here. The Hobey is the hockey Heisman, it goes to whoever has the best stats. Good for Fantilli but nobody cares about either trophy. Focus on Sat nights trophy. 

Greyeagle reacted

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3335
Post on old board: 30840

My guess is Knies and Cooley would rather win the trophy presented on Saturday night rather than Friday night. I can't say the same for Fantilli.

HandyNotDan reacted
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2532
Post on old board: 7833

The only other time the Gophers had 3 in a single year was 1954, I recognize one of these names. 

1954 Dick Dougherty Wing

Also In 1954, Michigan lost in the Semis, The Gophers beat a "Boston" in the semis....  But The Championship Game didn't go our way. 

1954, Geez that’s a long time ago. Someone that might be me was born that year.

Carl Fredricksen Disney GIF

EDIT: Yackel also lettered in baseball (three times) and football (twice) at Maroon M Small  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6972
Post on old board: 18942

I think Potulny was equal parts serious and not. Players on teams like that are fiercely loyal and Pohl not even making the Top 10 was a joke. I could see it being a motivating factor in that regard.

This year I honestly would have voted for Cooley but que sera sera.

The boys are going to be juiced and ready to make this season a complete one.  15 hours to go oh my.

Go Gophers!!

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

Posted by: @the-rube

@handyman  

Extra rest for the top ranked team. I know it doesn't make sense, it's 3 hours or so but that is the reason. 

I think it is the rest thing. Did everyone forget we were the late game in Boston and Michigan was early? Don’t think it has anything to do with bias. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @bigbeer

We’re embarrassing ourselves here. The Hobey is the hockey Heisman, it goes to whoever has the best stats. Good for Fantilli but nobody cares about either trophy. Focus on Sat nights trophy. 

The first criteria is “strength of character on and off the ice.”

https://hobeybaker.com/criteria/

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5288
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @cowgirl

Anthracite jersey? No no no no no no no no no NO!!

Yep…

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

wincav reacted
coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 163

@gopherhockeyfan7 Agree with rest and also there is no waiting for game to end. Waiting in locker room for an overtime (or double or triple overtime) game to end must be torture for the players, and trying to keep the players fired up without emotionally exhausting them must be a challenge for the coaches and captains.

wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 241

Posted by: @j22

I get it. Then let’s stop the “sportsmanship, etc.” and just make it a points total. 

Steve MN reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @j22

I get it. Then let’s stop the “sportsmanship, etc.” and just make it a points total. 

they stopped caring about class, character,  and sportsmanship a long time ago. 

Cooley is the better college hockey player, but there's no reason to pretend that Fantilli didn't deserve to be right there with him.  

HandyNotDan reacted
Golden FE Ranger
(@golden-fe-ranger)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 454

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @cowgirl

Anthracite jersey? No no no no no no no no no NO!!

Yep…

Not a huge fan of the idea but if they do it the color should be taconite. 

At least that way the jersey could pay tribute to the U of M and Dr. Davis’ contribution to the development of iron ore beneficiation and the billions of dollars it has added to the MN economy. 

max27t and Steve MN reacted
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @bigbeer

The first criteria is “strength of character on and off the ice.”

https://hobeybaker.com/criteria/

They obviously quit reading those years ago. When is the last time a player without the most points at his position won it?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7473

Posted by: @iceburg

1954 Dick Dougherty Wing

1954, Geez that’s a long time ago. Someone that might be me was born that year.

Carl Fredricksen Disney GIF

EDIT: Yackel also lettered in baseball (three times) and football (twice) at Maroon M Small  

That means you turned/turning 69 this year. ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Nice............ (Obligatory)

Bigbeer reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

Good GIF

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

My obligatory no matter what happens post…

This season has been amazing. We got to watch the best line in college hockey every weekend. We got to watch a back to back conference championship. We got to watch our team win EVERY season series. Only one team was able to beat us twice and it took them a 5th game. 

We rocked a (mostly) full Mariucci Arena again. We are playing in the LAST GAME OF THE SEASON!!

That said, let’s finish this thing!! But awesome season no matter what. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Rod Brindamour named his kid Skyler….wtf is that?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Breaking Bad fan? 😉 

Bigbeer reacted
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 558

@maroon_and_gold 

But being a Wolverine is a character flaw and being a Gopher is a positive character trait.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopheritall

@maroon_and_gold 

But being a Wolverine is a character flaw and being a Gopher is a positive character trait.

I can't argue against this! ? 

theskillz
(@theskillz)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 212

I would like to say a big thank you to those who will be leaving. It has been an absolute pleasure watching you play.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @theskillz

I would like to say a big thank you to those who will be leaving. It has been an absolute pleasure watching you play.

I said this on Thursday morning, no matter what happened this weekend this has been a fun season.  The buzz was back in Mairucci and it was fun again to be there.  Losing stinks but....the sun might come up tomorrow.

Golden FE Ranger
(@golden-fe-ranger)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 454

This season was a lot of fun. With three hockey players and a figure skater/basketball player I don’t get the time to follow my favorite team as I once did but what I did see is the energy that I experienced back in the “good old days.”  I got to bring my sons to their first game at Mariucci and it was packed. At the end of the day it is good to be a Gopher fan and I will try to not break any rules on this site but tomorrow I get to celebrate a big victory ✌️.  

coondog and HandyNotDan reacted
Page 25 / 26