2024 Icebreaker - O...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


[Closed] 2024 Icebreaker - Omaha Postgame

14 Posts
10 Users
3 Reactions
1,600 Views
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
Topic starter
 
[#343]

Didn’t see any thread for the Omaha game.  Team played great, Omaha goalie stood on his head.

 


 
Posted : Sun. Oct 13, 2024 8:35 am
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
Topic starter
 

-Is Ziemer hurt?  Saw Pahlsson out with Snuggy and Moore at the end.

 

 


 
Posted : Sun. Oct 13, 2024 8:38 am
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4395
Rep Pts: 12998
 

No, Pahlsson was just playing really well and winning a lot of draws so he slid him in the middle and bumped Ollie to wing for the final five minutes. Ziemer was out in the last shift of regulation.


 
Posted : Sun. Oct 13, 2024 9:15 am
TheAura
(@theaura)
Lucia Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 45
Rep Pts: 190
 

Disappointing game to lose but hard to fault the Gophers. They dominated play for most of the game but came up against a hot goalie. Really the only breakdown was one bad play on the PP that led to a shorthanded goal. Overall the Gophers look much stronger early in the season compared to this time last season. They are deeper, have more chemistry, and are working harder. 


 
Posted : Sun. Oct 13, 2024 9:54 am
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2044
Rep Pts: 6154
Post on old board: 15139
 

Yeah that game pretty much came down to one goalie standing on his head and the other being ok. I do think the gophers ideally need to figure out ways to manufacture more chances down low and fire from the point less but they had plenty of chances that were better than the two Omaha scored. Duluth typically plays a similar style as Omaha so next week will be a good test to see if they learned anything from this. 


 
Posted : Sun. Oct 13, 2024 2:55 pm
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 160
Rep Pts: 488
 

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 9:20 am
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Bonin Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 641
Rep Pts: 1314
Post on old board: 5335
 

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!

 

That's not a Bob problem.  We did this under Lucia all the damn time against teams like AA and Mankato.  But yes, Gopher teams have struggled to break through and play a grittier game against these types of teams over the recent 20+ year stretch.  

 


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 12:00 pm
streaky gopher
(@streakygopher)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1524
Rep Pts: 4704
Post on old board: 15478
 

Posted by: @gopherguy05
↑

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!

 

That's not a Bob problem.  We did this under Lucia all the damn time against teams like AA and Mankato.  But yes, Gopher teams have struggled to break through and play a grittier game against these types of teams over the recent 20+ year stretch.  

 

This isn't even a Gopher problem. Somebody figured out a long time ago that team defense wins games--and championships. It ain't sexy, but Hastings' hockey works. If I were the head coach of a team like Mankato, I'd do the same thing. It's boring but effective.

In 2023, Quinnipiac, bereft of NHL talent, shut down Michigan and Minnesota, despite the massive talent gap. 

Last season, Denver did the same thing to BC. (Denver had a killer mix of talent and defensive stinginess, but BC had the young-gun headliners.)

One would hope Minnesota could flip a switch and play that way if they had to, but they haven't proven they can. Paul Martin said as much. 😌 

 


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 12:27 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @gopherguy05
↑

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!

 

That's not a Bob problem.  We did this under Lucia all the damn time against teams like AA and Mankato.  But yes, Gopher teams have struggled to break through and play a grittier game against these types of teams over the recent 20+ year stretch.  

 

This isn't even a Gopher problem. Somebody figured out a long time ago that team defense wins games--and championships. It ain't sexy, but Hastings' hockey works. If I were the head coach of a team like Mankato, I'd do the same thing. It's boring but effective.

In 2023, Quinnipiac, bereft of NHL talent, shut down Michigan and Minnesota, despite the massive talent gap. 

Last season, Denver did the same thing to BC. (Denver had a killer mix of talent and defensive stinginess, but BC had the young-gun headliners.)

One would hope Minnesota could flip a switch and play that way if they had to, but they haven't proven they can. Paul Martin said as much. 😌 

 

What you’re describing is loosely true...it wins games…but Hastings teams never won a championship. Boring but effective isn’t enough, it’s takes more than that. 

 


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 12:46 pm
streaky gopher
(@streakygopher)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1524
Rep Pts: 4704
Post on old board: 15478
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @gopherguy05
↑

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!

 

That's not a Bob problem.  We did this under Lucia all the damn time against teams like AA and Mankato.  But yes, Gopher teams have struggled to break through and play a grittier game against these types of teams over the recent 20+ year stretch.  

 

This isn't even a Gopher problem. Somebody figured out a long time ago that team defense wins games--and championships. It ain't sexy, but Hastings' hockey works. If I were the head coach of a team like Mankato, I'd do the same thing. It's boring but effective.

In 2023, Quinnipiac, bereft of NHL talent, shut down Michigan and Minnesota, despite the massive talent gap. 

Last season, Denver did the same thing to BC. (Denver had a killer mix of talent and defensive stinginess, but BC had the young-gun headliners.)

One would hope Minnesota could flip a switch and play that way if they had to, but they haven't proven they can. Paul Martin said as much. 😌 

 

What you’re describing is loosely true..but Hastings teams never won a championship. Boring but effective isn’t enough. 

 

He didn't, but others of the same ilk have. Hastings didn't have the luxury of recruits beating on his door in his Mankato days. He rounded up older players with no NHL futures and turned them loose on high-flying hot shots 3 or 4 years their junior. 

UMD is another example of this style but with a few higher-pedigree players. They play a yawning brand of hockey that wins games. 

 


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 12:53 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4548
Rep Pts: 11442
Post on old board: 18942
 

The Gophers solved Q for 30 minutes or so until they took their foot off the pedal. It's not voodoo it just takes a game plan and sticking to it.  


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 2:13 pm
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 789
Rep Pts: 1749
Post on old board: 8686
 

If the Friday opportunity was face offs, the Saturday was the PP.  This is the 2nd year in a row we’ve allowed a SHG before we’ve scored a PP goal.  That may come down to discipline a little, which is what I think did us in in OT as well.  Overall a good weekend of hockey, but Saturday got away from us and shouldn’t have.

 


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 4:12 pm



bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @gopherguy05
↑

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!

 

That's not a Bob problem.  We did this under Lucia all the damn time against teams like AA and Mankato.  But yes, Gopher teams have struggled to break through and play a grittier game against these types of teams over the recent 20+ year stretch.  

 

This isn't even a Gopher problem. Somebody figured out a long time ago that team defense wins games--and championships. It ain't sexy, but Hastings' hockey works. If I were the head coach of a team like Mankato, I'd do the same thing. It's boring but effective.

In 2023, Quinnipiac, bereft of NHL talent, shut down Michigan and Minnesota, despite the massive talent gap. 

Last season, Denver did the same thing to BC. (Denver had a killer mix of talent and defensive stinginess, but BC had the young-gun headliners.)

One would hope Minnesota could flip a switch and play that way if they had to, but they haven't proven they can. Paul Martin said as much. 😌 

 

What you’re describing is loosely true..but Hastings teams never won a championship. Boring but effective isn’t enough. 

 

He didn't, but others of the same ilk have. Hastings didn't have the luxury of recruits beating on his door in his Mankato days. He rounded up older players with no NHL futures and turned them loose on high-flying hot shots 3 or 4 years their junior. 

UMD is another example of this style but with a few higher-pedigree players. They play a yawning brand of hockey that wins games. 

 

When UMD was at their best 2017-2020…  I think the style they played was quite similar to the style Denver has played since 2021. Neither played a run & gun style, both were structured defensively, both had a really strong blue line (featuring a Hobey contender), strong goaltending & a few forwards who could bury the puck when it really mattered. Accordingly, I expect Denver to be a tough out this season. UMD…just trying to re-gain a foothold after 2 sub-par seasons…to which College Hockey Addict has (or will) provide plenty of detail. Looking forward to puck drop Friday.  


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 5:03 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4395
Rep Pts: 12998
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @gopherguy05
↑

Posted by: @joegopher
↑

I have a slightly different take on this game...  

I was in the arena (that's a different topic all together) and it looked like the same Gopher problem of not being able to break away from a team that plays structured defense and pushes the puck to the boards.  This has been a common challenge with tBob from my perspective, and is a bit of an achilles heel.

As for the shots, about 95% of them were right in the gut, or off a leg pad.  Don't get me wrong, I love a great 50+ shot game, but the selection was not great.

Also, don't take this as I am saying the sky is falling, quite the opposite.  I really liked the look of the team and the new guys were impressive across the board.  Feeling good about this season!

 

That's not a Bob problem.  We did this under Lucia all the damn time against teams like AA and Mankato.  But yes, Gopher teams have struggled to break through and play a grittier game against these types of teams over the recent 20+ year stretch.  

 

This isn't even a Gopher problem. Somebody figured out a long time ago that team defense wins games--and championships. It ain't sexy, but Hastings' hockey works. If I were the head coach of a team like Mankato, I'd do the same thing. It's boring but effective.

In 2023, Quinnipiac, bereft of NHL talent, shut down Michigan and Minnesota, despite the massive talent gap. 

Last season, Denver did the same thing to BC. (Denver had a killer mix of talent and defensive stinginess, but BC had the young-gun headliners.)

One would hope Minnesota could flip a switch and play that way if they had to, but they haven't proven they can. Paul Martin said as much. 😌 

 

What you’re describing is loosely true..but Hastings teams never won a championship. Boring but effective isn’t enough. 

 

He didn't, but others of the same ilk have. Hastings didn't have the luxury of recruits beating on his door in his Mankato days. He rounded up older players with no NHL futures and turned them loose on high-flying hot shots 3 or 4 years their junior. 

UMD is another example of this style but with a few higher-pedigree players. They play a yawning brand of hockey that wins games. 

 

When UMD was at their best 2017-2020…  I think the style they played was quite similar to the style Denver has played since 2021. Neither played a run & gun style, both were structured defensively, both had a really strong blue line (featuring a Hobey contender), strong goaltending & a few forwards who could bury the puck when it really mattered. Accordingly, I expect Denver to be a tough out this season. UMD…just trying to re-gain a foothold after 2 sub-par seasons…to which College Hockey Addict has (or will) provide plenty of detail. Looking forward to puck drop Friday.  

Yeah, I’m not sure I agree. Those UMD teams couldn’t hold a candle to the Denver teams of late when it comes to offensive production. Obviously they were still wagon teams but their bread and butter was defensive suffocation/boring games. No reason to deflect from it, own it! It hung banners! If the Gophers yawn their way to a natty this year no one will be complaining except maybe Bonin.

 


 
Posted : Mon. Oct 14, 2024 5:31 pm

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad