911 Posts
71 Users
219 Reactions
28.8 K Views
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5305

Army bringing it to Penn State so far. Souliere will not get today off. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Penn State finally woke up. They were at one point losing 6-2, lead 7-6 now with nine minutes left in the third. 

Probably best for us that they avoid losing to #54.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4852
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @karlsson

Penn State finally woke up. They were at one point losing 6-2, lead 7-6 now with nine minutes left in the third. 

As painful as it can be, yes, we want B1G teams to win their Non-conference games.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10778
Post on old board: 21741

Except for the red team.  They can lose from no until the end of time.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertogliat reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7919
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @greyeagle

Naw, they can win, b/c I know we'll beat their arse when it counts. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

My ideal season for the Red Menace is like 8-26.  8-0 non-conference... 0-26 Big Ten Regular Season + Playoffs

Every

Single

Year

I hear people say that hockey is better when WisconSIN is good.  <CENSORED> that.  Every conference needs a doormat, and I nominate the BADgers.

HandyNotDan, SkiUMahLaw, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2342

The worst part about “the Red team” being good again is all of their “die hard” fans coming out of the woodwork and trumpeting about how great they are when half of those “fans” couldn’t tell you the difference between a blue line and a close line and they probably think an icing is some sort of frozen dessert. The same thing happened in the 2020-21 season when they won the league and Caufield won the Hobey. Yet, literally the next season when they weren’t good again the Kohl Center was a mausoleum and the Badger “faithful” went back to Camp Randall or only showed up to the Kohl Center when the ice was gone and the hardwood was on the floor. 

Man I hope Bob is right and the boys are all back to being healthy and good to go. I hope they’re firing on all cylinders going into the second half and when we go to Madison in about a month I hope we steamroll them. 

Amonte_10 and Steve MN reacted

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @karlsson

As painful as it can be, yes, we want B1G teams to win their Non-conference games.

I was concentrating more on not wanting a team you lost to in turn losing to #54 in the PWR, but yes that too. 

ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 202

Where we are sitting right now I think we would be better off having another bubble team lose to the 54th best team instead.  Guessing we will not be a bubble team for much longer so won't matter.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7399
Post on old board: 18942

Currently at 10 or 11 does not a bubble team make.

Karlsson reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @ddillon22

Where we are sitting right now I think we would be better off having another bubble team lose to the 54th best team instead.  Guessing we will not be a bubble team for much longer so won't matter.

Disagree. Reason being they are an in conference team, and one we’ve lost to. We could see the effect of North Dakota losing two in OT to CC on our PWR a month or two ago, and UND isn’t even a conference team. I don’t have a calculator up, but it wouldn’t surprise me if PSU losing to such a bad team would actually drop us closer into bubble territory.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4055
Post on old board: 12555

@slap-shot Gophers dropped to 12 in the PWR and a loss this weekend could put them solidly in bubble territory.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7399
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @bertogliat

@slap-shot Gophers dropped to 12 in the PWR and a loss this weekend could put them solidly in bubble territory.

USCHO must not be updated yet. It's weird they'd drop though given yesterday's results at least from a quick glance.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @bertogliat

USCHO must not be updated yet. It's weird they'd drop though given yesterday's results at least from a quick glance.

I was going off CHN app.  They're not the most accurate though.

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 599

Lets just win out and remove all doubt of the bubble 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Posted by: @gopheritall

Lets just win out and remove all doubt of the bubble 

Episode 1 GIF by The Simpsons

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7690

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12747
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

The Whioux better hope they stay healthy.

https://twitter.com/TBudgeMidco/status/1745552785435759049

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10778
Post on old board: 21741

Translation:  Holy crap Grand Forks  sucks and it’s even worse in the winter. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2028

What am I missing? Don't we have 14 forwards?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @norm

What am I missing? Don't we have 14 forwards?

I think most teams would like to carry 15. I know the Gophers are only carrying 14, and with the 14th being a D3 transfer, that was  a concern to many Gopher fans. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

North Dakota has now lost 5 straight OT games over their last 7 games overall. 4 of the 5 have been at home. One of them was to the under 18 team (exhibition).

Tonight they were up 3-1 after one period, Omaha out scored them 3-1 in the second period, and then scored in OT to win 5-4.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7461
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

North Dakota has now lost 5 straight OT games over their last 7 games overall. 4 of the 5 have been at home. One of them was to the under 18 team (exhibition).

Tonight they were up 3-1 after one period, Omaha out scored them 3-1 in the second period, and then scored in OT to win 5-4.

Awesome Chris Farley GIF

Slap Shot reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I am in no way cheering for Wisconsin, but them losing to #60 wouldn’t be great for us. 😆 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Ends up being a tie between #2 and #60. 

Badgers win meaningless shootout. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Badgers season is over. If you can't beat Linwood (especially at home) how can you expect to win a National Championship? 😉 

The Big Ten non conference season is over

The Big Ten went 51-15-6 (.750).

This is considerably better than the NCHC and Hockey East.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/standings-interconf.php

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1192
Post on old board: 6069

The 4-6 record against Hockey East is going to hurt for tournament seeding. Big Ten may only get 3 teams in and Hockey East could get 6. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Hockey East currently has 6 teams in the top 14 but I will be surprised with so many conference games left that one or two of them don't drop out.

Obviously how the Gophers and Michigan do the rest of the way will have a big impact on how many teams the Big Ten gets.

I like the Gophers and Michigan's chances more than New Hampshire and U Mass.

Last year New Hampshire was #50, U Mass was #29, Providence was #24, and Maine was #30. They are playing well so far but often times the cream rises to the top in the second half of the season.

Maine this weekend was shut out in 5 of the 6 periods against #27 U Conn but they did score 5 goals in the 3rd period yesterday so the series ended in a split.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2338

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Hockey East currently has 6 teams in the top 14 but I will be surprised with so many conference games left that one or two of them don't drop out.

Obviously how the Gophers and Michigan do the rest of the way will have a big impact on how many teams the Big Ten gets.

I like the Gophers and Michigan's chances more than New Hampshire and U Mass.

Last year New Hampshire was #50, U Mass was #29, Providence was #24, and Maine was #30. They are playing well so far but often times the cream rises to the top in the second half of the season.

Maine this weekend was shut out in 5 of the 6 periods against #27 U Conn but they did score 5 goals in the 3rd period yesterday so the series ended in a split.

will be a very telling weekend coming up in both the B10 and HE. 

Mich needs some sort of result vs Mich St, Gophers probably need at least 4 (6 massively preferred) points, PSU and ND have to decide if one of them is going to attempt to contend for postseason play.

Maine should get to beat up on a mediocre UML team, UNH goes on the road against middle of the pack Uconn, and Vermont and Merrimack get their shots at BC and BU. There's only going to be so many spots for them hovering right around the bubble, same as the B10 last year. Would envision it's closer to 4 for each league than the current 6-3. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1746947149823152147

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4611

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1747309208570089520

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Great article

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/why-its-time-to-move-ncaa-mens-hockey-regionals-to-home-sites

I appreciate there are some coaches who are putting their name out there to support. Good job David Carle. Now we need to know the names of those against it. A little peer pressure never hurt anyone. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I guarantee that Mike Schafer at Cornell is one of them.  He was whining about how unfair it was to have to play at a home rink (against the #1 seed, mind you) in 2005.

I have zero issue with playing against home-ice advantage vs a team with a better seed.  Where I see problems are instances that Brad mentioned in the article, where #1 seeds have to go on the road to places like New Hampshire and Princeton to play against what are, effectively home crowds.  Yeah, it's at a neutral site technically, but, it's across town from the school's home rink.  And, with the way he proposes setting it up, that simply cannot happen.

Not sure how WisconSIN has been on this.  As I recall, they have the high-school hoops tournament in Kohl center that weekend every year.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1777

I think it is fairly well known its the small eastern schools that are gutless about this whole regional site thing, because three of them are generally close to home. I mean its ridiculous that the 'Midwest Regional' has been in Allentown PA.. which is just north of Philly...

Miami (OH) having the 1 seed in 2015 and having to go to Providence to play.. #4 seed Providence was a complete miscarriage of justice. 

Mike Schafer would whine about anything....

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Steve MN reacted

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @youngeagle

Mike Schafer would whine about anything....

ironman youre not wrong

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

1. Just imagine if Schlossman was the beat writer for the Gophers. The amount of great stories from him would keep the loyal Gopher fan base happy instead of what we have now.

2. I would like them to get back to campus sites, but would prefer that it would be played in 1 weekend. Unfortunately, that could cause a problem, as Brad said, with the potential of the host team losing in game 1 and the second games being played in empty buildings.  ( like the non Gopher Mariucci Classic games or B1G played at the X minus the Gophers ) So, I guess if I had to choose, I would go with Brad's plan of 2 weekends.

My concern as a fan, would be if the Gophers were not a top 8 seed, that the Gophers fans would have to travel 2 weekends in a row instead of 1 trip. Throw in the Frozen Four, that would be a lot of travel for some of the fans and I would suspect that it would lower the amount of fans who would make both pre FF weekends.  

So, there is not a perfect solution, but the campus sites would be the best option.  

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Chances are pretty good that tickets would be really hard to get for Gophers fans at a road NCAA game.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @steve-mn

Chances are pretty good that tickets would be really hard to get for Gophers fans at a road NCAA game.

As former WWE wrestler, The Million Dollar Man would say--- Everyone has a price 😀 

bob barry jr april GIF

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7585

Posted by: @frozen4champs

1. Just imagine if Schlossman was the beat writer for the Gophers. The amount of great stories from him would keep the loyal Gopher fan base happy instead of what we have now.

2. I would like them to get back to campus sites, but would prefer that it would be played in 1 weekend. Unfortunately, that could cause a problem, as Brad said, with the potential of the host team losing in game 1 and the second games being played in empty buildings.  ( like the non Gopher Mariucci Classic games or B1G played at the X minus the Gophers ) So, I guess if I had to choose, I would go with Brad's plan of 2 weekends.

My concern as a fan, would be if the Gophers were not a top 8 seed, that the Gophers fans would have to travel 2 weekends in a row instead of 1 trip. Throw in the Frozen Four, that would be a lot of travel for some of the fans and I would suspect that it would lower the amount of fans who would make both pre FF weekends.  

So, there is not a perfect solution, but the campus sites would be the best option.  

Agree the regionals need to be one weekend. The end of the season would kind of drag on if they made the NCAA tournament one more weekend. The conference tournament is already 3 weekends, with single games the last two weekends. Now you have to play 2 games in two weeks on top of that. That’s like 4 games in a month span, and that’s if you make your conference championship game, it could get worse. Plus regional weekend is the best weekend of the year.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Quinnipiac who was #4 going into the game loses 2-1 to Colgate who was #41 going into the game.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Jeebus, MI-MSU:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEQGkzeWkAAEZBg?format=jpg&name=large

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gopheritall reacted

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 599

Posted by: @the-rube

Jeebus, MI-MSU:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEQGkzeWkAAEZBg?format=jpg&name=large

whoa! That is funny.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I need to see what happened 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

@bertogliat It starts at the 8:30 mark (right after Sparty scores their only goal of the game) of this highlight video. 

gopheritall reacted
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

Honestly wasn’t that bad. Players need to drop their sticks if they’re going to tussle. 

gator reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @snowcool08

Honestly wasn’t that bad. Players need to drop their sticks if they’re going to tussle. 

That was an NBA fight. Chin-waggin' and false punches. Total "bro-fight"

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Yeah guys didn't want to get kick out for tomorrow's rematch.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5791
Post on old board: 16243

@the-rube 

The NBA of today, yes. The NBA prior to the 2000s had fights. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7461
Post on old board: 10120

That was lame.  It looked way better on paper.  😆

gator reacted
Page 5 / 19