2025/26 NCAA hockey
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


2025/26 NCAA hockey

1,100 Posts
71 Users
569 Reactions
48.6 K Views
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

I was texting with my bosses during the game.  They commented how familiar the game seemed at the beginning of the third period.  

They didn’t want Hastings to win with two former Mavericks on his team.  

I just didn’t want the red menace to win no matter what.  If that damn meteor would have done its damn job on Thursday. 


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 7:26 pm
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 282
Rep Pts: 1114
 

@greyeagle I said the same thing. 

 

Results were the same.

 

I can't bring myself to say "poor Badgers" so I'll say "poor B1G".


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 7:42 pm
Greyeagle and Steve MN reacted
Jûpe ♃
(@jupiter)
Mariucci Level Admin
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 2100
Rep Pts: 7801
Post on old board: 15786
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

@frozen4champs Wasn’t aware of that, but can’t say I’m surprised. lol

It’s what happens when you get personal with the site owner and make fun of him getting divorce on Twitter. He went from barely tolerable asshole to piece of shit real quick. 

 


Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃

 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:07 pm
Boats
(@boats)
Broten Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 822
Rep Pts: 3378
 

Posted by: @sunbone
↑

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Denver and David Carle certainly don’t mind the one and done format.  Unreal run for them and Carle.

I do get a little tired of Gopher fans using the one and done format as an excuse. Obviously it isn’t ideal but Denver has figured out a formula that works. 

 

 

Yea the formula is boring hockey, clog up everything and wait for the other team to make a mistake. I might be coping, but I would still much rather have a fun season from start to finish.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:25 pm
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 7627
Rep Pts: 12594
Post on old board: 35040
 

Posted by: @sunbone
↑

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Denver and David Carle certainly don’t mind the one and done format.  Unreal run for them and Carle.

I do get a little tired of Gopher fans using the one and done format as an excuse. Obviously it isn’t ideal but Denver has figured out a formula that works. 

 

I can't explain it, but yes, DU just somehow wins these one and dones, no snark. They crunch numbers, analyze film, consult a Ouija Board, I dunno. They simply make it happen and win. 

 


When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:34 pm
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

Posted by: @the-rube
↑

Posted by: @sunbone
↑

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Denver and David Carle certainly don’t mind the one and done format.  Unreal run for them and Carle.

I do get a little tired of Gopher fans using the one and done format as an excuse. Obviously it isn’t ideal but Denver has figured out a formula that works. 

 

I can't explain it, but yes, DU just somehow wins these one and dones, no snark. They crunch numbers, analyze film, consult a Ouija Board, I dunno. They simply make it happen and win. 

 

Honestly we should just hire away their goalie coach. They always seem to stand on their head in the tournament. Team in front of them don’t play too bad either, but the goalie bails them out when needed. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:40 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @boats
↑

Posted by: @sunbone
↑

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Denver and David Carle certainly don’t mind the one and done format.  Unreal run for them and Carle.

I do get a little tired of Gopher fans using the one and done format as an excuse. Obviously it isn’t ideal but Denver has figured out a formula that works. 

 

 

Yea the formula is boring hockey, clog up everything and wait for the other team to make a mistake. I might be coping, but I would still much rather have a fun season from start to finish.

 

the stranger thing to me is how they usually do play a run-and-gun style for 36 games, then they lock tf in for playoffs. Literal switch flip every time

Anyways my general opinion of Denver is that they’re just who the NCAA hockey gods fall back on if no “real” team (ie one with more than 200 fans) is suitably deserving to win it all in a given season


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:46 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @trixr4kids
↑

Denver once again proving how important it is to have an elite goalie. 

That was the Justen Close narrative with a different result.

 

Close almost stole the Q game but ultimately didn’t, some of his other big game performances were pretty meh (especially that loss to BU). Pretty sure Hicks was their third string goalie to start the year which speaks more to their depth and ability to find good goalies. The dude who stole that game vs the Mavs back in 2022 comes to mind as well. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:49 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @trixr4kids
↑

The dude who stole that game vs the Mavs back in 2022 comes to mind as well. 

Chrona? I think he might’ve been a Richter finalist that year.

Also Close in 2022 blanking WMU who had the country’s leading goal scorer and led the NCAA in team scoring offense, to go to the Frozen Four, stands out as a huge playoff steal that kinda gets lost in the shuffle of that era


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:51 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @boats
↑

Posted by: @sunbone
↑

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Denver and David Carle certainly don’t mind the one and done format.  Unreal run for them and Carle.

I do get a little tired of Gopher fans using the one and done format as an excuse. Obviously it isn’t ideal but Denver has figured out a formula that works. 

 

 

Yea the formula is boring hockey, clog up everything and wait for the other team to make a mistake. I might be coping, but I would still much rather have a fun season from start to finish.

 

the stranger thing to me is how they usually do play a run-and-gun style for 36 games, then they lock tf in for playoffs. Literal switch flip every time

Anyways my general opinion of Denver is that they’re just who the NCAA hockey gods fall back on if no “real” team (ie one with more than 200 fans) is suitably deserving to win it all in a given season

It’s hard to say for sure what Denver would’ve looked like today if they didn’t play the late window 3 OT game 3 days back and then an early one today. They looked completely gassed for most the game . Against Michigan I can’t really disagree with you though that’s probably more due to Michigan being the faster team and Denver needing to play that style to maximize their chances. Against western they seems to be running and gunning more, probably did similar vs Cornell too though I didn’t watch that one. 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

Posted by: @trixr4kids
↑

The dude who stole that game vs the Mavs back in 2022 comes to mind as well. 

Chrona? I think he might’ve been a Richter finalist that year.

Sounds right I honestly don’t remember. Wouldn’t shock me if he was, he outplayed Dryden who was a hobey candidate.

 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 8:59 pm
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
 

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Denver and David Carle certainly don’t mind the one and done format.  Unreal run for them and Carle.

Since 2013-2014:

Denver - 4 Nat'l Champs

NCHC - 4 Nat'l Champs (UMD 2, UND & Western Mich)

Hockey East - 2 Nat'l Champs (Providence & UMass)

ECAC - 2 Nat'l Champs (Union & Quinnipiac

 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 9:03 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @gator
↑

ECAC - 2 Nat'l Champs (Union & Quinnipiac

Man that stings. They owe us for keeping their rinky dink conference relevant nationally 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 9:07 pm



Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4566
Rep Pts: 11540
Post on old board: 18942
 

DU is boring to watch for my $$, but you cannot argue with the results.  


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 9:14 pm
The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 7627
Rep Pts: 12594
Post on old board: 35040
 

I'll deal with boring hockey if it brings my team some 'ships. 


When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 9:18 pm
Boats
(@boats)
Broten Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 822
Rep Pts: 3378
 

Posted by: @the-rube
↑

I'll deal with boring hockey if it brings my team some 'ships. 

 

I 100% understand that, and again I may be coping, but I REALLY think i would rather have the whole season of good hockey that I enjoy

 


 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 9:24 pm
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 7627
Rep Pts: 12594
Post on old board: 35040
 

Posted by: @boats
↑

Posted by: @the-rube
↑

I'll deal with boring hockey if it brings my team some 'ships. 

 

I 100% understand that, and again I may be coping, but I REALLY think i would rather have the whole season of good hockey that I enjoy

 

This might be a whoosh, but I was a NJ Devils fan until Marty B retired. They were the kings of zone trap boring hockey. 😉 

 


When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 9:25 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3795
Rep Pts: 11908
Post on old board: 10120
 

I feel validated by the hockey universe for a short bit, we ended up at a bar that has a badger pelt on the wall.  

image

 
Posted : Sat. Apr 11, 2026 11:22 pm
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
Topic starter
 

So Johnny Hicks comes in as a replacement goalie for a injured teammate and goes undefeated all season as a freshman


Aloha!

 
Posted : Sun. Apr 12, 2026 6:09 am
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
Topic starter
 

Denver was outshot something like 89-46 in the Frozen 4 this year and still gets the championship 🤎


Aloha!

 
Posted : Sun. Apr 12, 2026 10:21 am
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 577
Rep Pts: 1548
 

Posted by: @gopher6
↑

Denver was outshot something like 89-46 in the Frozen 4 this year and still gets the championship 🤎

Remember back when college goalie save percentages were in the mid to low 80s and that was good enough? 🤣

 


 
Posted : Sun. Apr 12, 2026 12:26 pm
gopher6 reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
Topic starter
 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/04/12_Oliver-Officially-Named-Head.php


Aloha!

 
Posted : Mon. Apr 13, 2026 8:38 am
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

Posted by: @gopher6
↑

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/04/12_Oliver-Officially-Named-Head.php

Anybody have any idea why St Cloud can pay nearly $100k higher than Minnesota State?  I did the research and Larson was getting $460k and Strand at MSU is at $360k.  That was one of the rubs why Hastings left because he hit the ceiling at MSU.  The reason was that the MNSCU system had a ceiling of $360k.  Doesn't ring true if St Cloud pays that much more.  If I were Strand I would be pissed that a first year coach was getting paid more in the same college system.  Any ideas @eric-vegoe 

 


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Mon. Apr 13, 2026 8:49 am
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 339
Rep Pts: 405
Post on old board: 9527
 

Posted by: @greyeagle
↑

Congrats to Max, hell of a player. Always good to see a MN kid win it.

https://twitter.com/hobeybakeraward/status/2042768830796050578?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

 

Is that four Hobeys that Sandelin has coached at UMD?

 


 
Posted : Mon. Apr 13, 2026 9:13 am
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

You can really tell Wodon and CHN do not like the transfer portal. Only posts on X today have been saying that all portal entrants have let everyone know for weeks and deals were made via back channels along with another post about tampering with other players. 


 
Posted : Mon. Apr 13, 2026 1:07 pm



Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 3282
Rep Pts: 3934
Post on old board: 11850
 

See if you can find the error in this paragraph from today’s The Athletic morning newsletter 😀

IMG 7549

 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 6:25 am
camo coat guy, Cowgirl, trixR4kids and 3 people reacted
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1818
Rep Pts: 3583
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @boats
↑

Posted by: @the-rube
↑

I'll deal with boring hockey if it brings my team some 'ships. 

 

I 100% understand that, and again I may be coping, but I REALLY think i would rather have the whole season of good hockey that I enjoy

 

Dude…that’s doubling down on the coping! Future Gopher teams are capable on playing a FUN style for the most part during the regular season and still being capable of locking it down more defensively in the NCAA playoffs. That’s what won for UMD in 2011 & 2019 (I’ll stipulate…not so much in 2018) and for Denver in 2016, 2022, 2024 & 2026. Locking it down defensively & having strong goaltending with the ability to score some clutch goals is what wins.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 9:24 am
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 10:13 am
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1818
Rep Pts: 3583
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @g-manpuck
↑


This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

lol…😂…lol 👍

 


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 10:15 am
Boats
(@boats)
Broten Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 822
Rep Pts: 3378
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boats
↑

Posted by: @the-rube
↑

I'll deal with boring hockey if it brings my team some 'ships. 

 

I 100% understand that, and again I may be coping, but I REALLY think i would rather have the whole season of good hockey that I enjoy

 

Dude…that’s doubling down on the coping! Future Gopher teams are capable on playing a FUN style for the most part during the regular season and still being capable of locking it down more defensively in the NCAA playoffs. That’s what won for UMD in 2011 & 2019 (I’ll stipulate…not so much in 2018) and for Denver in 2016, 2022, 2024 & 2026. Locking it down defensively & having strong goaltending with the ability to score some clutch goals is what wins.

 

 

I agree, I am coping. BUT if those were the two options. If we aren't able to do the locking it down in playoffs, I think I would prefer the fun season.

 

Consider that a triple down on the cope.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 12:41 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

https://twitter.com/alexmicheletti/status/2044080516471697916?s=46&t=Eng8voSPBd8fS83D7FvpsQ

While I get the sentiment it seems in bad taste for Powers to blast out semi-publicly like that


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 2:22 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

https://twitter.com/alexmicheletti/status/2044080516471697916?s=46&t=Eng8voSPBd8fS83D7FvpsQ

While I get the sentiment it seems in bad taste for Powers to blast out semi-publicly like that

i mean who wouldn't want to play for the rich history that is ASU hockey?

 


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 2:42 pm
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 7627
Rep Pts: 12594
Post on old board: 35040
 

It's more the ASU campus, if you ask me. 😉 


When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 4:10 pm
Eric Vegoe reacted
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1818
Rep Pts: 3583
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @walker-barely-know-her
↑

https://twitter.com/alexmicheletti/status/2044080516471697916?s=46&t=Eng8voSPBd8fS83D7FvpsQ

While I get the sentiment it seems in bad taste for Powers to blast out semi-publicly like that

I’ve Never Understood why ASU isn’t better in 🏒 Greg Powers has been the HC for 16 years and he must be lame as hell. I mean, a DOG with a note pinned to his collar should be able to recruit effectively & win in 🏒 at ASU! Wearing flip flops to practice, great weather from October to April, can use the  🏈 team weight facilities if needed , new hockey arena on campus that seats 5k & Babes by the bushel at swimming pool. Ridiculous advantages! 

 


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 4:36 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4566
Rep Pts: 11540
Post on old board: 18942
 

I think a lot of players don't care about the warmer weather and the "amount of babes" is overrated.  One of my best friends from h.s. went to ASU and I visited him there twice in 4 years. Yes it's a nice campus and there are plenty of hotties, but it was barely more noticeable than anywhere but Michigan Tech.  


 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 11:28 pm
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 7627
Rep Pts: 12594
Post on old board: 35040
 

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

I think a lot of players don't care about the warmer weather and the "amount of babes" is overrated.  One of my best friends from h.s. went to ASU and I visited him there twice in 4 years. Yes it's a nice campus and there are plenty of hotties, but it was barely more noticeable than anywhere but Michigan Tech.  

I'd watch your words carefully. That's a bold statement. 

 


When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

 
Posted : Tue. Apr 14, 2026 11:50 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

One of my law school buddies was the 5th-string quarterback at ASU during his undergrad. When we first met at an orientation happy hour I remember him telling me about how all the hottest girls at ASU were Minnesotans 😆 


 
Posted : Wed. Apr 15, 2026 8:06 am



Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4566
Rep Pts: 11540
Post on old board: 18942
 

Posted by: @the-rube
↑

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

I think a lot of players don't care about the warmer weather and the "amount of babes" is overrated.  One of my best friends from h.s. went to ASU and I visited him there twice in 4 years. Yes it's a nice campus and there are plenty of hotties, but it was barely more noticeable than anywhere but Michigan Tech.  

I'd watch your words carefully. That's a bold statement. 

 

It's only bold because you added it.  🤣 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Apr 15, 2026 8:26 am
eHo reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
max27t
(@max27t)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 72
Rep Pts: 205
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/2051687520774341004


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Tue. May 5, 2026 6:16 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 356
Rep Pts: 410
 

@jupiter you should go on the golden bachelor I'd vote for you.


 
Posted : Wed. May 6, 2026 7:49 am
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

In regards to the 5 year eligibility rule, one of the reasons players are pushed to juniors for a few years is to be ready physically for playing college against 23-25 year olds. If those 23-25 year olds won’t exist because their clock has run out, it wouldn’t be completely necessary to have a 21 year old freshman who spent 3 years in juniors. Yes the on ice product would decline. I feel like that has been missed with a lot of the arguments against the proposed rule. 


 
Posted : Thu. May 7, 2026 10:11 am
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

Posted by: @snowcool08
↑

In regards to the 5 year eligibility rule, one of the reasons players are pushed to juniors for a few years is to be ready physically for playing college against 23-25 year olds. If those 23-25 year olds won’t exist because their clock has run out, it wouldn’t be completely necessary to have a 21 year old freshman who spent 3 years in juniors. Yes the on ice product would decline. I feel like that has been missed with a lot of the arguments against the proposed rule. 

it’s more the vast gulf between 18-20 in physical maturity (for the vast vast majority; if you’re landing high end guys, they can handle it better) and what is best for them developing to hit the next level (the young guys are going to get buried on depth charts and not play/develop). You’re going to push a lot of kids into jr earlier and to the echl when out of eligibility, which is going to hurt the product everywhere 

 


 
Posted : Thu. May 7, 2026 11:50 am
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

Harvard is looking for a new coach.

 

https://twitter.com/HarvardMHockey/status/2052463478263148791


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Thu. May 7, 2026 4:12 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

Harvard is looking for a new coach.

 

https://twitter.com/HarvardMHockey/status/2052463478263148791

the U never reached out to me about my application for the men’s hockey head coach job, but maybe Harvard will be a better fit for me. I mean, Yale did just hire a random youth hockey parent from the neighborhood…

 


 
Posted : Thu. May 7, 2026 5:30 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

This happened the night McKenna got into his fight.

https://twitter.com/DailyCollegian/status/2052907472818503716


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Mon. May 11, 2026 5:45 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

This is from the night McKenna got into his fight.

https://twitter.com/DailyCollegian/status/2052907472818503716

saw this story a few days ago, couple thoughts.

First, this kid is already a PR nightmare, and the Toronto media spotlight is gonna be especially brutal for him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up punching out a Leafs blogger or some Canadian paparazzi.

Anyways, Mom getting charged is a bizarre story for a number of reasons.

1. Gavin’s teammates who they were out and about with that night must be the minors in question. Why not just ask the >21y/o guys who played a few years in juniors buy the drinks?

2. Who did Ms. McKenna piss off badly enough to actually get in legal trouble for this?

As an attorney, while I know that state liquor laws can be weird (and esp. PA’s), it’s strange to see her get charged for this crime which is fairly difficult to prove. It’s difficult to prove because it allegedly took place in a crowded college bar; there might be 500+ other people in that bar who could’ve handed some booze to the minors. If the bar’s CCTV from that night has any gaps or blindspots, Ms. McKenna’s defense is going to hammer that. No matter what, the bar will have to explain why/how their staff allowed this to happen.

When a ton of Penn State guys jumped into the portal this year, I saw some insider rumors about team culture/locker room issues they had during this season that will no longer be issues anymore. If there’s any truth to those rumors, I would guess they’re probably related to this incident and whoever Gavin/Ms. McKenna didn’t get along with.

It could also just be some petty cops/the DA office settling a score bc the McKennas were a pain in the ass to deal with, but in my professional opinion I think prosecutors with a vindictive streak like that are actually pretty rare. Seems like a lot of unnecessary paperwork to be filing charges that won’t stick against people w/ means to contest them


 
Posted : Mon. May 11, 2026 6:10 pm
trixR4kids reacted
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

@walker-barely-know-her My bet is she will most likely pay a fine. If her son would not have gotten into the fight, this would not have even popped up. Bottom line, she broke the law. I know it happens all the time, but as a parent of a player on a college team, not a smart move to be doing this. Not sure if her being Canadian will make any difference in this case, as it is above my pay grade.


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Mon. May 11, 2026 6:43 pm



upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
 

Alcohol played a role in the fight

 they review the footage and she either bought the tab or brought it to the table

 would be nothing if there wasn’t a police case, but its not like you can ignore it when you’re reviewing for an alternative criminal case. 

This will be a nothing story and would say this is hyper common amongst the hockey and billet community, especially up in Canada where McKenna would’ve been legal at that time


 
Posted : Mon. May 11, 2026 8:06 pm
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2200
Rep Pts: 3160
Post on old board: 5547
Topic starter
 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/05/21_Rules-Committee-Approves-.php


Aloha!

 
Posted : Fri. May 22, 2026 2:36 pm
Page 22 / 22

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad