61 Posts
24 Users
28 Reactions
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5201
Post on old board: 10695

My only thought is that nobody bid for Detroit again?  As to DC, I kind of like that pick.  It will have been 18 years since it was last held there.  While I was wildly un-impressed with them as a tournament host, it's DC, there was so much to do that I didn't get around to, I like the idea of heading back.

I'll be interested to see what happens in the next round of bids.  Will it only be 2 new sites again?  Or 4 like in the past?  I'd suspect that Boston/Tampa/St Paul show back up before too terribly long, but coming off those three just now, not at all surprised none of them are in again before 2029.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13439
Post on old board: 9626

Posted by: @steve-mn

My only thought is that nobody bid for Detroit again?  As to DC, I kind of like that pick.  It will have been 18 years since it was last held there.  While I was wildly un-impressed with them as a tournament host, it's DC, there was so much to do that I didn't get around to, I like the idea of heading back.

I'll be interested to see what happens in the next round of bids.  Will it only be 2 new sites again?  Or 4 like in the past?  I'd suspect that Boston/Tampa/St Paul show back up before too terribly long, but coming off those three just now, not at all surprised none of them are in again before 2029.

We did most of the touristy stuff last go around. IIRC, it was also one of the most expensive FF's for us. Maybe it was because we stayed longer than our normal FF trips or because it was just a few years into our FF streak. We are much better now at planning our flights and hotels. 

As for Chicago, it is drivable, so money saved for not having a flight. For us, we like to have a ton of bars around or walkable to the arena. IIRC, there are not very many within a few blocks. I know there is a ton to do in Chicago, but I'm just not a fan. 

If I ranked the 20+ FF locations we have been to, these two would be in the bottom 5 for us. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

For me DC as a host was the worst, as a city that I still enjoyed the trip, its up toward the top, simply because there is so much of the touristy/history stuff to do.

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 447

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Posted by: @steve-mn

We did most of the touristy stuff last go around. IIRC, it was also one of the most expensive FF's for us. Maybe it was because we stayed longer than our normal FF trips or because it was just a few years into our FF streak. We are much better now at planning our flights and hotels. 

As for Chicago, it is drivable, so money saved for not having a flight. For us, we like to have a ton of bars around or walkable to the arena. IIRC, there are not very many within a few blocks. I know there is a ton to do in Chicago, but I'm just not a fan. 

If I ranked the 20+ FF locations we have been to, these two would be in the bottom 5 for us. 

This sounds interesting...whatcha got?

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11469
Post on old board: 21741

I have only been to DC and Boston non St. Paul FFs but really enjoyed DC.  It's compact, walkable, great public transport, and a ton to do and see.  April is a fun time to be in DC but it can be expensive/crowded due to the Cherry Blossoms blooming.

Personally I'd go to DC two dozen times before I'd even consider going to Vegas once.  But to each their own....

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jupiter ♃ reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Personally I'd go to DC two dozen times before I'd even consider going to Vegas once.  But to each their own....

I love both locations on their own merits, completely unrelated to hockey.  But, as you said, to each their own Smile

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

@gopherpete 

My Top 3 sites--

Tampa ( 3 times )

Boston ( 2 times ) 

St Paul ( 4 times )

My bottom 4--

Pittsburgh (2013) We skipped the covid one in 2021.

Chicago

Columbus

DC

The other 8 are pretty equal and I would gladly go back to any of those. 

I think St Louis will be ok. I missed the 2007 St Louis one.  Vegas will be interesting on how well the city promotes it. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

GopherPete reacted
ReplyQuote

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 349

I am pretty happy that DC is getting another FF.  It's a great city with many incredible restaurants and certainly a lot to do.  Also happy about Chicago.  It was a great tourney last time and the city is really good at managing sports events.  As far as my favorite cities for the FF (Been to all but 5 since 1989), I would probably put it like this (not including St. Paul for obvious reasons):

1. Boston
  2. Tampa
  3. Providence - it's really too bad their arena doesn't qualify for the tourney since the city is such a great host...
  4. DC
  5. Buffalo
  6. Denver - Never understood why they have never bid again
  7. Chicago
  8. Columbus - Would go back if it was at Nationwide.  The Schott is horrible.
  9. St. Louis
  10. Milwaukee
  11. Anaheim
  12. Pittsburgh
  13. Detroit
  14. Cincinnati 

Amonte_10 reacted
ReplyQuote
uofm86
(@uofm86)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 73

Would love to see them come back to Denver since I live out here, but it would great if Nashville were to bid. That would be a great location.

JoeGopher reacted
ReplyQuote
max27t
(@max27t)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 172

I think St Louis will be ok. I missed the 2007 St Louis one. 

Did you catch the one there in 1975? Holmgren made a brief appearance.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @max27t

I think St Louis will be ok. I missed the 2007 St Louis one. 

Did you catch the one there in 1975? Holmgren made a brief appearance.

Nope, that was before my time. I started going in the early 2000's

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2