Youth Hockey
 
Notifications
Clear all

Youth Hockey

165 Posts
35 Users
4 Likes
2,578 Views
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

Spectators will be allowed at high school and youth sports events (up to 150 people). Thank you Jesus!


   
Quote
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 195
Rep Pts: 512
 

Bertogliat wrote:

Spectators will be allowed at high school and youth sports events (up to 150 people). Thank you Jesus!

For ease of crowd management, I would expect both the MSHSL and Minnesota Hockey soon to limit spectators to two per participant.

Otherwise, you are asking for trouble at the youth level and requiring already overburdened activities offices to add a ticket office capability (since they would need to do the same for all winter sports, home and away).


   
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 3393
Rep Pts: 6335
Post on old board: 18942
 

Do squirt games get more than 150 people?


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

Maybe you all should just be happy that you get to play...


   
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

Slap Shot wrote:

Do squirt games get more than 150 people?

Why would they?

Most youth hockey teams are 15 kids per team. So even with 2 parents per kid you have at most 60 parents.

Considering several parents are coaches and most kids have siblings that need to be supervised I am guessing you’ll have 45 or so parents in the stands for most games. That isn’t a lot and the risk is low when everyone is wearing masks and spreading out.


   
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 3393
Rep Pts: 6335
Post on old board: 18942
 

Bertogliat wrote:

Slap Shot wrote:

Do squirt games get more than 150 people?

Why would they?

Most youth hockey teams are 15 kids per team. So even with 2 parents per kid you have at most 60 parents.

Considering several parents are coaches and most kids have siblings that need to be supervised I am guessing you’ll have 45 or so parents in the stands for most games. That isn’t a lot and the risk is low when everyone is wearing masks and spreading out.

I wasn't the one that suggested a limit of 150 might be too low. Ski might not have either if I misread his post.


   
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 2815
Rep Pts: 6525
Post on old board: 10120
 

MNGophers29 wrote:

Maybe you all should just be happy that you get to play...

It’s not enough, now they don’t want to have to wear masks.


   
ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

Slap Shot wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

Slap Shot wrote:

Do squirt games get more than 150 people?

Why would they?

Most youth hockey teams are 15 kids per team. So even with 2 parents per kid you have at most 60 parents.

Considering several parents are coaches and most kids have siblings that need to be supervised I am guessing you’ll have 45 or so parents in the stands for most games. That isn’t a lot and the risk is low when everyone is wearing masks and spreading out.

I wasn't the one that suggested a limit of 150 might be too low. Ski might not have either if I misread his post.

Nobody is saying it isn't enough. In fact SkiUMah Law was just stating that MN Hockey may self regulate further to limit to 2 spectator (parents) per player, which is what most rinks have been allowing since the initial shut down.

I think most people are just happy to be able to watch their kids play. I was surprised they were allowing 150. I hoped for 2 or even 1 spectator per player. And I have 2 LiveRink subscriptions to let me watch on my phone, if needed.


   
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

Cowgirl wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

Maybe you all should just be happy that you get to play...

It’s not enough, now they don’t want to have to wear masks.

Who? Don't doubt wearing a mask during vigorous exercise in tough. But I don't think the kids are complaining too much.

My biggest concern is reduced vision. I could see wearing masks during play lead to some neck injuries as kids are bent over further to see the puck near their feet. I am watching my kids practice on LiveBarn just to make sure I can correct them if I see them bending over too much.


   
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 2815
Rep Pts: 6525
Post on old board: 10120
 

Bertogliat wrote:

Cowgirl wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

Maybe you all should just be happy that you get to play...

It’s not enough, now they don’t want to have to wear masks.

Who? Don't doubt wearing a mask during vigorous exercise in tough. But I don't think the kids are complaining too much.

My biggest concern is reduced vision. I could see wearing masks during play lead to some neck injuries as kids are bent over further to see the puck near their feet. I am watching my kids practice on LiveBarn just to make sure I can correct them if I see them bending over too much.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kare11.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/lawsuit-to-challenge-minnesota-sports-mask-mandate/89-c7128797-4795-427e-8ea4-b56683cf1dfc

I played hockey in a mask before the shut down. I won’t lie, it sucked ass, but I survived!


   
ReplyQuote
Anonymous
(@Anonymous)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Rep Pts: 0
 

Cowgirl wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

Cowgirl wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

Maybe you all should just be happy that you get to play...

It’s not enough, now they don’t want to have to wear masks.

Who? Don't doubt wearing a mask during vigorous exercise in tough. But I don't think the kids are complaining too much.

My biggest concern is reduced vision. I could see wearing masks during play lead to some neck injuries as kids are bent over further to see the puck near their feet. I am watching my kids practice on LiveBarn just to make sure I can correct them if I see them bending over too much.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kare11.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/lawsuit-to-challenge-minnesota-sports-mask-mandate/89-c7128797-4795-427e-8ea4-b56683cf1dfc

I played hockey in a mask before the shut down. I won’t lie, it sucked ass, but I survived!

Wearing a cloth face covering while playing a sport, breathing hard and thinking it offers any sort of protection against a virus is about as absurd as it gets.


   
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 3393
Rep Pts: 6335
Post on old board: 18942
 

I thought I saw masks will not be requires now while playing?


   
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 2815
Rep Pts: 6525
Post on old board: 10120
 

Masks are safe for sports in healthy people: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33153145/

They work (no not 100% but every little bit helps):

And hockey is unique in it’s ability to help spread covid more than other sports: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/04/hockey-covid-transmission-outbreaks/%3foutputType=amp

Masks will need to be changed as they work better when dry, but because hockey is a sport where social distancing isn’t possible and exhaling more forcefully spreads MORE respiratory droplets, it seems logical to wear a mask. It’s not fun, it’s an inconvenience, but it’s better than getting sick and dying.

I worry that in a few weeks we’ll just be right back to a need for restrictions anyways after dining and sports are in full swing again, so enjoy it while it lasts.


   
ReplyQuote
Thomps
(@thomps)
Member Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 13
Rep Pts: 13
 

Cowgirl wrote:

They work (no not 100% but every little bit helps):

I would love to see how the testing was performed and the particle counts. If they put the sensor directly in front of the source, then I can see why they numbers for filtration are high. They should be testing above on the sides, above and below as well. With no seals on masks,the physics says the particles will take the path of least resistance, which is out the sides/top/bottom.


   
ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

Some particles do go around, but not all. That’s why the mask will get wet it you wear it a long time. It offers some protection.

If parents can stay away from congregating at the pool and bar at tournaments and before and after games it’ll go a long way.


   
ReplyQuote
Vegoe
(@vegoe)
Lucia Level
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 181
Rep Pts: 183
 

Thomps wrote:

Cowgirl wrote:

They work (no not 100% but every little bit helps):

I would love to see how the testing was performed and the particle counts. If they put the sensor directly in front of the source, then I can see why they numbers for filtration are high. They should be testing above on the sides, above and below as well. With no seals on masks,the physics says the particles will take the path of least resistance, which is out the sides/top/bottom.

br>

[mention]Thomps[/mention] I know you're trying to be helpful here... but this isn't trying to provide a solution for a BSL 3 facility. This is a best effort to do something to mitigate the risk and allow some benefits. I think the case that Dr. Bill Morice first referenced that masks can be helpful was about the hair salon where their mitigation efforts maybe have an impact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/health/coronavirus-hair-salon-masks.html

Here is more from him:

https://twitter.com/moricemdphd/status/1283428406131142659

I don't think there are going to be many prospective studies approved that expose people to covid under different conditions, so all we're left with is retrospective analaysis.


   
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 923
Rep Pts: 2025
Post on old board: 6782
 

The youth/high school sports mask debate is complete bunk when you look at hockey and basketball have to wear a mask at all times but wrestling only when they walk in and out of the building for practice and while not on the mat competing at a dual meet. Why is that? Why the two rules? And the MDH "choking hazard" explanation doesn't count. Like my son told me, "there isn't a second go by in a wrestling match where someone isn't putting their hands in your face or sliding your face across the mat", so a mask wouldn't have a chance to stay in place during practice or a match.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!


   
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

g-manpuck wrote:

The youth/high school sports mask debate is complete bunk when you look at hockey and basketball have to wear a mask at all times but wrestling only when they walk in and out of the building for practice and while not on the mat competing at a dual meet. Why is that? Why the two rules? And the MDH "choking hazard" explanation doesn't count. Like my son told me, "there isn't a second go by in a wrestling match where someone isn't putting their hands in your face or sliding your face across the mat", so a mask wouldn't have a chance to stay in place during practice or a match.

It sounds like you answered your own question.


   
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 923
Rep Pts: 2025
Post on old board: 6782
 

Bertogliat wrote:

g-manpuck wrote:

The youth/high school sports mask debate is complete bunk when you look at hockey and basketball have to wear a mask at all times but wrestling only when they walk in and out of the building for practice and while not on the mat competing at a dual meet. Why is that? Why the two rules? And the MDH "choking hazard" explanation doesn't count. Like my son told me, "there isn't a second go by in a wrestling match where someone isn't putting their hands in your face or sliding your face across the mat", so a mask wouldn't have a chance to stay in place during practice or a match.

It sounds like you answered your own question.

Okay...didn't want to go here but your post makes it clear you missed the point. Since Covid is so bad that the other sports have to wear a mask at all times...why is wrestling allowed to happen without masks at all? Why the two rules? And to be 100% clear...I am not advocating that wrestling must happen at all costs.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

I am at the point with everything that we just really don't know what we don't know. Everyone has opinions and studies that will fit their narrative, its the beauty of the time we live in and the internet.

That being said, North Dakota has been back playing games since December 14th (practicing since 11/30) without masks on the ice. Coaches have been wearing them and honestly, I am impressed that every one I have seen is keeping them on. Cases have steadily declined in North Dakota, which at one time was the darling of the media and certain folks scoffing at our loosened restrictions. Parents are still congregating at hotels too and with each other. This winter the weather has been mild so there has been more "tailgating" than previous Januarys. Since then the positive rate for the 15-19 age group has been really low, but the 14 and under group it really drops off so I am not sure making them wear masks would prevent much anyway. Not sure what MN's #s look like, I am to lazy to look right now.

I think only time will tell which precautions worked and which ones didn't. I am good doing whatever needed so they can play. I did talk to a co-worker in Duluth and after the first practice of his kid's mask getting wet and giving that waterboarding sensation (to a small degree) he went and ordered one that fits over the mask and I have hear those work well.


   
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

g-manpuck wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

g-manpuck wrote:

The youth/high school sports mask debate is complete bunk when you look at hockey and basketball have to wear a mask at all times but wrestling only when they walk in and out of the building for practice and while not on the mat competing at a dual meet. Why is that? Why the two rules? And the MDH "choking hazard" explanation doesn't count. Like my son told me, "there isn't a second go by in a wrestling match where someone isn't putting their hands in your face or sliding your face across the mat", so a mask wouldn't have a chance to stay in place during practice or a match.

It sounds like you answered your own question.

Okay...didn't want to go here but your post makes it clear you missed the point. Since Covid is so bad that the other sports have to wear a mask at all times...why is wrestling allowed to happen without masks at all? Why the two rules? And to be 100% clear...I am not advocating that wrestling must happen at all costs.

I didn't miss the point. It's the same reason you don't have to wear a mask while eating at a restaurant. You can't eat with a mask on and you can't wrestle with a mask on. You don't NEED to wrestle, but you also don't NEED to eat at a restaurant. They're obviously allowing people to go in public without masks in certain situations to make life somewhat bearable.

I'll be happy to discuss further in IM, if you'd like.


   
ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

MNGophers29 wrote:

I am at the point with everything that we just really don't know what we don't know. Everyone has opinions and studies that will fit their narrative, its the beauty of the time we live in and the internet.

That being said, North Dakota has been back playing games since December 14th (practicing since 11/30) without masks on the ice. Coaches have been wearing them and honestly, I am impressed that every one I have seen is keeping them on. Cases have steadily declined in North Dakota, which at one time was the darling of the media and certain folks scoffing at our loosened restrictions. Parents are still congregating at hotels too and with each other. This winter the weather has been mild so there has been more "tailgating" than previous Januarys. Since then the positive rate for the 15-19 age group has been really low, but the 14 and under group it really drops off so I am not sure making them wear masks would prevent much anyway. Not sure what MN's #s look like, I am to lazy to look right now.

I think only time will tell which precautions worked and which ones didn't. I am good doing whatever needed so they can play. I did talk to a co-worker in Duluth and after the first practice of his kid's mask getting wet and giving that waterboarding sensation (to a small degree) he went and ordered one that fits over the mask and I have hear those work well.

In MN the 15-19 age group has similar number of total cases to the age groups above them all the way to the 60-64 year olds.

The 10-14 age group is half the total number and the younger kids have less. But this is likely due to the fact that young kids barely show symptoms so most don't get tested. My kids had only minor symptoms for 2 days. My neighbors across the street tested their family because they played outside with my kids. Two of their five kids tested positive and both were asymptomatic.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#ageb1


   
ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 273
Rep Pts: 698
 

So how bout them Twins? :)


   
ReplyQuote
Tiggsy
(@tiggsy)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 49
Rep Pts: 49
 

So let's get back to a less controversial topic. :)

I have probably asked this before to the group but it's getting more real now so thought I'd throw it out one more time. Jr. is in his last year of bantams. What are some good off season options to get him ready for high school tryouts? His high school does have a program in July that lasts a few weeks but to me that doesn't seem like enough. He's going into a pretty competitive class A school and wants to be as ready as possible without bankrupting us. I think he has set a reasonable goal of getting a JV spot next year with a chance to suit up for varsity occasionally.

AAA is around but it seems way to expensive and travel heavy for what you get from what I can see. What else is out there?


   
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mariucci Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 3571
Rep Pts: 9209
Post on old board: 21741
 

Tiggsy wrote:

So let's get back to a less controversial topic. :)

I have probably asked this before to the group but it's getting more real now so thought I'd throw it out one more time. Jr. is in his last year of bantams. What are some good off season options to get him ready for high school tryouts? His high school does have a program in July that lasts a few weeks but to me that doesn't seem like enough. He's going into a pretty competitive class A school and wants to be as ready as possible without bankrupting us. I think he has set a reasonable goal of getting a JV spot next year with a chance to suit up for varsity occasionally.

AAA is around but it seems way to expensive and travel heavy for what you get from what I can see. What else is out there?

There used to be some open ice options around the area but it's been a while since I've looked for anything like this. There could also be some summer leagues that are not AAA expensive as options, too. Maybe someone in a HS program or someone who's played in a Jr. Gold program has some ideas you could look into?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   
ReplyQuote
ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 108
Rep Pts: 153
 

I think 3 on 3 leagues are still forming, good for small games, passing, stick handling. Lightly refereed. There are teams at that level. We used to play Mash which was a summer league but one team ruined it by gooning it up. They didn’t like us (not Edina).

Summer camps, AAA, leagues are for profit. Good, varies with who is coaching and only for a week so not usually worth it. If you get other interest you can just buy ice time. I have seen this done and the cost shared with the teams just takes some work to coordinate.


   
ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 273
Rep Pts: 698
 

Don't overlook general sports conditioning programs. If there is something interesting that focuses on strength, speed, and agility off ice it can help more than just skating with AAA teams.


   
ReplyQuote
Vegoe
(@vegoe)
Lucia Level
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 181
Rep Pts: 183
 

Tiggsy wrote:

So let's get back to a less controversial topic. :)

I have probably asked this before to the group but it's getting more real now so thought I'd throw it out one more time. Jr. is in his last year of bantams. What are some good off season options to get him ready for high school tryouts? His high school does have a program in July that lasts a few weeks but to me that doesn't seem like enough. He's going into a pretty competitive class A school and wants to be as ready as possible without bankrupting us. I think he has set a reasonable goal of getting a JV spot next year with a chance to suit up for varsity occasionally.

AAA is around but it seems way to expensive and travel heavy for what you get from what I can see. What else is out there?

If he's really serious, then an offseason leg strength and speed program is the best thing that can be done in an offseaon... but that won't work unless they are self motivated.

SSM Off-season -- pretty easy to pickup and go with this one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_gVEruSP6Curaos2ZQEXXo1v17vyzuku/view?usp=sharing

Cal Dietz Off-season -- much more scientific than most, but Cal focuses on phases of training with method—"learning how to eccentrically and isometrically absorb energy before applying it in explosive dynamic movements. Athletes aren’t powerlifters. They must be strong, but only to the extent that it can benefit them in their sport."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hGBSVCphHdgZcPX2GbzDmGvfVVBkFywR/view?usp=sharing

Someline like Project Hockey offers more custom and motivating things for the modern kid: https://www.projecthockey.com/

I'd do what the school offers for the offseason if possible, keeps the kid on the radar. I think just getting some time on the ice with some small area games and getting a feel for skates/pucks ahead of tryouts helps. I used to help run an eight session pre-season clinic for kids that basically covered the ice time cost $140 and $60/night for three coaches to be out there, so like $1600/30 kids -- we'd do a 10-min warmup, then two 15-min games at each end and finish with a escalating condition drill over the month to build up the legs.


   
ReplyQuote

Tiggsy
(@tiggsy)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 49
Rep Pts: 49
 

I keep getting emails for Jr. to attend "exposure" camps. Are these a scam? I don't know they just sound fishy. Maybe a way for junior programs to find kids? I don't know. Any experience? Some sound like they might be fun showcases just to play some games, but being billed as exposure seems a little misleading.

Not doing any this summer as Jr. will be a sophomore and moving into high school hockey next year and is going to his school's summer program.


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

Tiggsy wrote:

I keep getting emails for Jr. to attend "exposure" camps. Are these a scam? I don't know they just sound fishy. Maybe a way for junior programs to find kids? I don't know. Any experience? Some sound like they might be fun showcases just to play some games, but being billed as exposure seems a little misleading.

Not doing any this summer as Jr. will be a sophomore and moving into high school hockey next year and is going to his school's summer program.

I don’t think they are a scam, but I think some of these places got their hands on email address ago local organizations this past year. My kid was a 08 PWAA Goalie this past year and I have gotten emails for USHL Futures Camps from 2-3 different teams, stuff from other academies that I have never reached out to or would have any reason to have my email address. Obviously their camps are being run and kids get ice time, but if someone really wants to see my kid somewhere, I assume they will give me a call or send a personal email, because I am not gonna drive my kid to Sioux City Iowa for a 5 day camp.


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

Funny, I typed in Sue the old way.


   
ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 273
Rep Pts: 698
 

My kid has been on the bottom of C teams all his life. He gets these same emails if that tells you anything.


   
ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 396
Rep Pts: 948
 

It is a fundraiser for the teams, plain and simple. Get as many people to pay the fee as possible.


   
ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 2291
Rep Pts: 3213
Post on old board: 30840
 

Tiggsy wrote:

I keep getting emails for Jr. to attend "exposure" camps. Are these a scam? I don't know they just sound fishy. Maybe a way for junior programs to find kids? I don't know. Any experience? Some sound like they might be fun showcases just to play some games, but being billed as exposure seems a little misleading.

Not doing any this summer as Jr. will be a sophomore and moving into high school hockey next year and is going to his school's summer program.

I can't speak to the hockey version of these camps but the baseball ones are usually a decent way to get exposure if they're being run by an actual organization. Lots of area scouts attend camps run by colleges and club teams for baseball.


   
ReplyQuote
Vegoe
(@vegoe)
Lucia Level
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 181
Rep Pts: 183
 

Beauner wrote:

Tiggsy wrote:

I keep getting emails for Jr. to attend "exposure" camps. Are these a scam? I don't know they just sound fishy. Maybe a way for junior programs to find kids? I don't know. Any experience? Some sound like they might be fun showcases just to play some games, but being billed as exposure seems a little misleading.

Not doing any this summer as Jr. will be a sophomore and moving into high school hockey next year and is going to his school's summer program.

I can't speak to the hockey version of these camps but the baseball ones are usually a decent way to get exposure if they're being run by an actual organization. Lots of area scouts attend camps run by colleges and club teams for baseball.

The USHL camps are scouted by college coaches, but they cast the net pretty big in order to get enough kids to fill up the rosters and make the event worthwhile for the staff. These things are focused on their 'drafted' players and evaluating where they could fit. If a kid isn't one of those drafted players, then they're probably better of sticking to their school's summer program. If they really wanted to make a leap, then exploring like MAP Hockey, Fortis Hockey, MEGA Goaltending or 1st Athlete depending on fit are probably better than the experience of one of these exposure camps.

https://ushl1draft.rinknet.com/

Always interesting to see the USHL perspective on 150 15-year-olds and also see who the WHL thinks they can land.

https://whl.ca/article/western-hockey-league-completes-2020-whl-u-s-prospects-draft


   
ReplyQuote

MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

My kid is doing the YHH NOW Combine at the U of M this week. I dropped him off at Mariucci this morning where he has a full week of activities, including a campus tour, Gopher player interviews, scavenger hunt at Ridder, dodgeball at TCF Bank and a myriad of other things that should be a lifelong experience. Phones are not allowed which I love but I want to see some pictures, I am VERY a jealous of this opportunity for him!


   
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

MNGophers29 wrote:

My kid is doing the YHH NOW Combine at the U of M this week. I dropped him off at Mariucci this morning where he has a full week of activities, including a campus tour, Gopher player interviews, scavenger hunt at Ridder, dodgeball at TCF Bank and a myriad of other things that should be a lifelong experience. Phones are not allowed which I love but I want to see some pictures, I am VERY a jealous of this opportunity for him!

YHH is certainly tweeting out a bunch of photos for your viewing pleasure.


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

Bertogliat wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

My kid is doing the YHH NOW Combine at the U of M this week. I dropped him off at Mariucci this morning where he has a full week of activities, including a campus tour, Gopher player interviews, scavenger hunt at Ridder, dodgeball at TCF Bank and a myriad of other things that should be a lifelong experience. Phones are not allowed which I love but I want to see some pictures, I am VERY a jealous of this opportunity for him!

YHH is certainly tweeting out a bunch of photos for your viewing pleasure.

Yeah I have seen them. Not quite the same as they are just teasers. My kid is in one of them watching Andy Brink talk though.


   
ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 154
Rep Pts: 364
 

MNGophers29 wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

My kid is doing the YHH NOW Combine at the U of M this week. I dropped him off at Mariucci this morning where he has a full week of activities, including a campus tour, Gopher player interviews, scavenger hunt at Ridder, dodgeball at TCF Bank and a myriad of other things that should be a lifelong experience. Phones are not allowed which I love but I want to see some pictures, I am VERY a jealous of this opportunity for him!

YHH is certainly tweeting out a bunch of photos for your viewing pleasure.

Yeah I have seen them. Not quite the same as they are just teasers. My kid is in one of them watching Andy Brink talk though.

Did he mention anything about Bobby entering the transfer portal? :M2: :M2:


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

GopherPete wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

Bertogliat wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

My kid is doing the YHH NOW Combine at the U of M this week. I dropped him off at Mariucci this morning where he has a full week of activities, including a campus tour, Gopher player interviews, scavenger hunt at Ridder, dodgeball at TCF Bank and a myriad of other things that should be a lifelong experience. Phones are not allowed which I love but I want to see some pictures, I am VERY a jealous of this opportunity for him!

YHH is certainly tweeting out a bunch of photos for your viewing pleasure.

Yeah I have seen them. Not quite the same as they are just teasers. My kid is in one of them watching Andy Brink talk though.

Did he mention anything about Bobby entering the transfer portal? :M2: :M2:

Lol, not that he recalls! He did speak about controlling what you can control though.


   
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mariucci Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 3571
Rep Pts: 9209
Post on old board: 21741
 

GopherPete wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:
Yeah I have seen them. Not quite the same as they are just teasers. My kid is in one of them watching Andy Brink talk though.

Did he mention anything about Bobby entering the transfer portal? :M2: :M2:

Don't get [mention]Davey J.[/mention] all excited! LoL

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

[attachment=0]884377EC-BF48-4E6E-907F-2A71FFE87781.jpeg[/attachment]
I really like these gray jerseys!


   
ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2171
Rep Pts: 3735
Post on old board: 12555
Topic starter  

I was looking at the meeting minutes for our youth hockey program and specifically looking at the charitable gambling income.

I was shocked to see MN has 2 taxes for “Lawful gambling” (36% + 8.5%).

Our local government charges a 10% tax.

So our net receipts are taxed 54.5%. After you subtract cost of tickets, booth rental, paying for pull tab employees your net income is less than 20%! LoL

I am not intending this to be political. I just thought it was interesting how little money actually makes it to the intended charity.


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

Bertogliat wrote:

I was looking at the meeting minutes for our youth hockey program and specifically looking at the charitable gambling income.

I was shocked to see MN has 2 taxes for “Lawful gambling” (36% + 8.5%).

Our local government charges a 10% tax.

So our net receipts are taxed 54.5%. After you subtract cost of tickets, booth rental, paying for pull tab employees your net income is less than 20%! LoL

I am not intending this to be political. I just thought it was interesting how little money actually makes it to the intended charity.

Interesting. I just looked up North Dakota’s as our association is going to be getting into it finally. Looks like if proceeds are over $50k the tax is 12% to the State and 1% to the local government.


   
ReplyQuote
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 143
Rep Pts: 218
 

MNGophers29 wrote:

our association is going to be getting into it finally.

Just getting into it? Many small Minnesota associations wouldn't be sustainable without it.


   
ReplyQuote
HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 232
Rep Pts: 487
 

Today is my annual "Why the hell did I ever allow my kid to play hockey?" day, as I register her for the 21-22 season and send the payment.


   
ReplyQuote
D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 455
Rep Pts: 476
 

HockeyBum wrote:

Today is my annual "Why the hell did I ever allow my kid to play hockey?" day, as I register her for the 21-22 season and send the payment.

Years from now you will look back and treasure the memories. It will all definitely be worth it.


   
ReplyQuote
MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

midevil bowievil wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

our association is going to be getting into it finally.

Just getting into it? Many small Minnesota associations wouldn't be sustainable without it.

I am in North Dakota.


   
ReplyQuote
Bladepuller
(@bladepuller)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 374
Rep Pts: 374
 

MNGophers29 wrote:

midevil bowievil wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

our association is going to be getting into it finally.

Just getting into it? Many small Minnesota associations wouldn't be sustainable without it.

I am in North Dakota.

You have my deepest and most heart felt condolences.?


   
ReplyQuote

MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
Rep Pts: 514
Post on old board: 7714
 

Bladepuller wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

midevil bowievil wrote:

MNGophers29 wrote:

our association is going to be getting into it finally.

Just getting into it? Many small Minnesota associations wouldn't be sustainable without it.

I am in North Dakota.

You have my deepest and most heart felt condolences.?

Because I don’t pay ridiculous prices and politics aren’t an issue? Gotcha.


   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4