streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

gator wrote...

That was a horsepucky call…

Karlsson wrote...

That is not what I’d consider a distinct kicking motion.

I don't know what the rulebook states, but it went to the war room for the call. They even overturned the call on the ice. Gotta accept it.

I will say that the player clearly crossed over his left skate into the goal mouth to make contact with the puck. If there was no puck there, his left skate would have stayed left through his stop. I guess putting his skate there was his intent to "kick" it in.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Lol they called a shot that was already going in a “kick” because the guy who was clearly off balance and trying to brace himself stuck his leg out slightly. They should honestly just allow kicking to keep it consistent, changing the rule to that couldn’t possibly have any less downside than how it’s currently enforced.

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1237
Post on old board: 5215

Even though it went just five games, that was an incredibly fun series to watch. I vote to have the "Battle of Alberta" every year in the playoffs! 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5715
Post on old board: 16243

trixR4kids wrote...

Lol they called a shot that was already going in a “kick” because the guy who was clearly off balance and trying to brace himself stuck his leg out slightly. They should honestly just allow kicking to keep it consistent, changing the rule to that couldn’t possibly have any less downside than how it’s currently enforced.

A couple of these controversial calls the need to be cut and dry. Either allow "kicking" the puck or if the puck goes of the blade regardless, it's no goal. Stop allowing officials and the war room to play the game of 'in the eyes of the beholder'.

Keep your stick on the ice...

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1251
Post on old board: 6912

Based on how amazing McDavid is and Leon D. is, this has been a long time coming. And when you lose 3 games in row (like the Wild did) or 4 in a row (like the Flames did)…while lyou can complain about calls by the officials (the Coleman call could have went differently) but that’s not why you lost the series…the other team simply took it from U!

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

gator wrote...
trixR4kids wrote…

A couple of these controversial calls the need to be cut and dry. Either allow “kicking” the puck or if the puck goes of the blade regardless, it’s no goal. Stop allowing officials and the war room to play the game of ‘in the eyes of the beholder’.

The problem with allowing kicking a puck and - I'm spit balling here - high sticking a puck, is that it would allow a dangerous maneuver or even encourage it. I don't think the NHL wants players kicking their razor-sharp blades at the puck while the goalie or other players are lying on the ice in a vulnerable position, just as they don't favor swinging stick blades at head height.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Brock Boeser’s dad (Duke) passed away today at 61.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2639
Post on old board: 7833

gator wrote...

Brock Boeser’s dad (Duke) passed away today at 61.

Not to be confused with Jeff (also nicknamed Duke) Boeser who was the men’s coach at St. Thomas before the move to D-1.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

streakygopher wrote...
gator wrote…
trixR4kids wrote…

A couple of these controversial calls the need to be cut and dry. Either allow “kicking” the puck or if the puck goes of the blade regardless, it’s no goal. Stop allowing officials and the war room to play the game of ‘in the eyes of the beholder’.

The problem with allowing kicking a puck and – I’m spit balling here – high sticking a puck, is that it would allow a dangerous maneuver or even encourage it. I don’t think the NHL wants players kicking their razor-sharp blades at the puck while the goalie or other players are lying on the ice in a vulnerable position, just as they don’t favor swinging stick blades at head height.

I get that’s probably the logic but for the most part players aren’t going to be doing that kind of (football/soccer) kicking motion. If they did kick the puck it’s far more likely they’d be close to the net and using the side of their skate to kick it. Players are obviously going to use their sticks 99% of the time anyhow. If someone connected a kick to an opposing player even by accident that’d automatically result in 5 and a game, kicking another player doesn’t even has the option for 2 minutes.

I think that’d be the easiest way to clear things up but it’s not the only way, you could maybe just change the rule to disallowing kicks on stationary/neutral pucks or something like that, rather than ones that already have forward momentum and are intentionally being redirected. But as it currently stands the rule isn’t helping and refs are determining outcomes arbitrarily.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Oilers vs Avs!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7320
Post on old board: 10120

bearpaw28 wrote...

Oilers vs Avs!

Go Canada.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Cowgirl wrote...
bearpaw28 wrote…

Oilers vs Avs!

Go Canada.

Go Alberta… Best Province!!!

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4068
Post on old board: 9428

Either of these teams will get swept by Tampa

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Thru 2 periods Shisterkin has 2 assists and a penalty

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Go Rangers!
but I’ll cheer for the winner of this series as they both have Gophers.

I won’t cheer for CO.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

5-2 Rangers with 11 minutes to go in 3rd. We gonna have a game 7 on Monday in Raleigh (it appears). Rangers have a good goalie, so they have a shot in game 7, although Canes haven’t lost at home in the playoffs to date!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

bearpaw28 wrote...

5-2 Rangers with 11 minutes to go in 3rd. We gonna have a game 7 on Monday in Raleigh (it appears). Rangers have a good goalie, so they have a shot in game 7, although Canes haven’t lost at home in the playoffs to date!

There’s a first time for everything.   Monday is a great day for red, white, and blue.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Reaves is at it again, what a turd

Laxref
(@laxref)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 137

This will be fun…

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buccigross/status/1530238195966914566?ref_src ="twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1530238195966914566%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barstoolsports.com%2Fblog%2F3418505%2Fthe-preview-for-this-red-wingsavalanche-documentary-on-espn-is-fucking-incredible"

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

If you don’t convert when on your own power plays, eventually you are not going to advance in the playoffs. And especially when your PK goes in the tank. Rangers lead game seven 2-0 after one period (after scoring 2 power play goals). And the Rangers goalie continues to stand tall, turning away numerous Canes chances.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Hope Lindgren is okay.  Didn’t look too good.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12653
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Laffer better get out of the press box because he is now the backup.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

What luck by the Rangers. They haven't played against a team's real starter except for 1 game in the playoffs and that guy might have still had a broken foot during the game.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1161
Post on old board: 6069

Chill Kessel wrote...

What luck by the Rangers. They haven’t played against a team’s real starter except for 1 game in the playoffs and that guy might have still had a broken foot during the game.

His foot was still broken. He could barely walk post game in that one. Rangers might be in for a rude awakening against Vasilevsky. Although with their luck, he will get hurt too.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Cowgirl wrote...

Hope Lindgren is okay.  Didn’t look too good.

3rd period underway, Lindgren is on the ice ?

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Snowcool08 wrote...
Chill Kessel wrote…

What luck by the Rangers. They haven’t played against a team’s real starter except for 1 game in the playoffs and that guy might have still had a broken foot during the game.

His foot was still broken. He could barely walk post game in that one. Rangers might be in for a rude awakening against Vasilevsky. Although with their luck, he will get hurt too.

Vasilevskiy might be a bit different challenge than Domingue

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Absolutely sick goal by Kreider.  Wow.
Great to see Lindy back too.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10656
Post on old board: 21741

Avs are playing at a different speed than other teams.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1996
Post on old board: 5631

Koharski with another rule that he doesn't undertstand

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

I learn something new every day.  You can push the puck across the blue line but if you haven’t touched it yet someone still has a chance to get back onside.

And getting back onside only involves touching the blue line and not crossing it completely?  Or did I mis-interpret?

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Cowgirl wrote...

I learn something new every day.  You can push the puck across the blue line but if you haven’t touched it yet someone still has a chance to get back onside.

And getting back onside only involves touching the blue line and not crossing it completely?  Or did I mis-interpret?

You have it right. The key to that play was that Makar kept his own skates onside and didn't touch the puck in the offensive zone until Nichuskin touched up. It's no different than dumping the puck in and waiting for everyone to get onside before going into the zone.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Cowgirl wrote...

Same here...

Cowgirl wrote...

Correct.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

J22 wrote...
Cowgirl wrote…

You have it right. The key to that play was that Makar kept his own skates onside and didn’t touch the puck in the offensive zone until Nichuskin touched up. It’s no different than dumping the puck in and waiting for everyone to get onside before going into the zone.

Good explanation of the play. .And Makar is something!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Agree... J22 explanation was very easy to understand.  I also find 'fightclub30' as another good source to explain the rules.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

In the matter of inches, it goes from 2-2 to 4-2.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Going into the Conference Finals to win the Cup...

COL: +105

TB: +220

NYR: +550

EDM: +600

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12653
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

But Kuemper will keep the Oilers in the game.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

J22 wrote...
Cowgirl wrote…

You have it right. The key to that play was that Makar kept his own skates onside and didn’t touch the puck in the offensive zone until Nichuskin touched up. It’s no different than dumping the puck in and waiting for everyone to get onside before going into the zone.

I always thought everyone had to cross back completely across the blue line (which it looked like the guy did), not just simply touch the “goal side” of the line if you will…or does that vary between levels of play?

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Cowgirl wrote...
J22 wrote…
Cowgirl wrote…

I always thought everyone had to cross back completely across the blue line (which it looked like the guy did), not just simply touch the “goal side” of the line if you will…or does that vary between levels of play?

I have only ever known the rule as having to touch the blueline with at least one skate to be considered onside.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Pick a team.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5214

frozen4champs wrote...

But Kuemper will keep the Oilers in the game.

The actual reason he left. Self-awareness.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Barely a minute in and Vasilevskiy looks human.

I think Kreider realized he scored… his reaction time was really slow.

ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 200

Minimal crowd in NY beginning of third period. Or are they all in line for beer?

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

ex_goldy wrote...

Minimal crowd in NY beginning of third period. Or are they all in line for beer?

Can I borrow your time machine when you’re done with it?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5214

Didn't expect this from the Tampa Bay defense. Rangers forecheck has them hemmed in.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

The NYR are a likable team.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Karlsson wrote...

Didn’t expect this from the Tampa Bay defense. Rangers forecheck has them hemmed in.

Tampa had a 9 day break, they’re naturally rusty. The trick isn’t to beating Tampa once…it’s beating them 4 times. That said, because of NYR strong goaltending & ability to light the lamp, this should be fun series. NYR had to win tonight, as fatigue will set in for them later in the series…tonight they will!

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

bearpaw28 wrote...
Karlsson wrote…

Didn’t expect this from the Tampa Bay defense. Rangers forecheck has them hemmed in.

Tampa had a 9 day break, they’re naturally rusty. The trick isn’t to beating Tampa once…it’s beating them 4 times. That said, because of NYR strong goaltending & ability to light the lamp, this should be fun series. NYR had to win tonight, as fatigue will set in for them later in the series…tonight they will!

I don’t buy the “rusty from the break” excuse. This game was tied 2-2 halfway thru.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Cowgirl wrote...
J22 wrote…
Cowgirl wrote…

It's interesting discussion as the rules are not always consistent.  Per Hockey USA (which I acknowledge is not NHL).  "The blue line is part of the zone in which the puck is in."  By this on a delayed offside (offside player and puck in the offensive zone) you would expect the blue line to be part of the offensive zone and the skate to have to completely cross the blue line onto the white.

However the delayed offside rule states.

"(2) All attacking <label>player</label>s are simultaneously clear of the attacking zone by making skate contact with the blue line, at the same instant."

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084688-rule-630-off-sides

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Bertogliat wrote...
Cowgirl wrote…
J22 wrote…
Cowgirl wrote…

It’s interesting discussion as the rules are not always consistent.  Per Hockey USA (which I acknowledge is not NHL).  “The blue line is part of the zone in which the puck is in.”  By this on a delayed offside (offside player and puck in the offensive zone) you would expect the blue line to be part of the offensive zone and the skate to have to completely cross the blue line onto the white.

However the delayed offside rule states.

“(2) All attacking <label>player</label>s are simultaneously clear of the attacking zone by making skate contact with the blue line, at the same instant.”

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084688-rule-630-off-sides
/a>

What made it an issue is that most offside reviews do not involve a player already in the attack zone attempting to tag up. I thought Makar clearly had possession of the puck, even though he didn’t touch it during the split second it took for the player to tag up. so there was still judgement by the linesman involved in the call, but as others explained, since Makar wasn’t touching the puck & his skates hadn’t yet crossed the blue line, the refs called it correctly. Certainly a bad break for the Oilers & a tremendous play by Makar!

Page 16 / 21