165 Posts
26 Users
64 Likes
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7746
Post on old board: 35040

Let's look at the bright side! Women's BB is big enough to now becoming fixed in gambling circles! They made the big time! Whoopee! 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4068
Post on old board: 9428
Topic starter  

Posted by: @karlsson

I know very little about basketball, and haven’t watched it in earnest in probably a decade. This matchup got me interested enough to poke my head in near the end when I saw it was close. 

I’m a little glad that I’m seeing the reactions I am.  All I could think after seeing that last minute was “People like this? For games to end this way?”

Even though I am still sure the sport isn’t for me, it helps knowing I witnessed a particularly egregious officiating display. 

If you didn’t watch sports where bad calls ruin games you would watch no sports maybe try Ping Pong?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5214

Posted by: @bigbeer

I know very little about basketball, and haven’t watched it in earnest in probably a decade. This matchup got me interested enough to poke my head in near the end when I saw it was close. 

I’m a little glad that I’m seeing the reactions I am.  All I could think after seeing that last minute was “People like this? For games to end this way?”

Even though I am still sure the sport isn’t for me, it helps knowing I witnessed a particularly egregious officiating display. 

If you didn’t watch sports where bad calls ruin games you would watch no sports 

You’ve missed the point. I dislike basketball for reasons other than officiating. My post was basically a long-winded way of saying “I know nothing about this game and even I can tell UConn was robbed.”

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I will vouch for Karlsson. Honestly, the only reason *I* watched this bouncyball game was for the local girl vs the GOAT factor, overall. Yeah, I root for UConn, but as previously mentioned, casual fan. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

If you didn’t watch sports where bad calls ruin games you would watch no sports maybe try Ping Pong?

😂

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @the-rube

I will vouch for Karlsson. Honestly, the only reason *I* watched this bouncyball game was for the local girl vs the GOAT factor, overall. Yeah, I root for UConn, but as previously mentioned, casual fan. 

Yeah, figured I’d check out the St. Louis Park girl vs the one people are calling the greatest. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

CC is the greatest. I can't argue that one. Paige good, though. 

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @upnorthkid

UConn got absolutely fucked there. Shocking that would happen given there’s absolutely no incentive to have Clark advance

I don’t even understand how you look at that and see anything. She wasn’t moving and didn’t stick out her elbow to create contact.

She both moved and stuck out an arm although just barely on the latter. 

The problem from the tweet is the angles showing the play.  You can clearly see her move to her left between 4-5 seconds.  The 2nd two angles basically start after she's moved so you don't see it as easily, but on the 1st angle you can easily see her move.

Maybe they shouldn't have called it in such a critical situation of the game, but she 100% moved.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I don't think it was a good call, and in the bigger picture, if one thinks it was a good call, that was the tickiest of tackiest of calls, so where was that the rest of the game? 

In the end, the refs ruined what was a tremendous game. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Why wasn't it a good call? I'm trying to understand when you see how much she moved. It wasn't a slight move or even a slight lean. Her body ends up in a completely different position than where she started and it was clearly with the intent to block the Iowa player.

And how many times have we as fans argued how frustrating it is to see refs "swallow their whistles" yet now we want it? I'd argue (without watching the game) the officiating was suss beforehand in seeing that total fouls for the game were 18-9.  But sorry she moved, she moved a lot and it was an easy call to make as much as it sucks.

MNNavy and bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1251
Post on old board: 6912

I don't think it was a good call, and in the bigger picture, if one thinks it was a good call, that was the tickiest of tackiest of calls, so where was that the rest of the game? 

In the end, the refs ruined what was a tremendous game. 

I don’t know much about 🏀…but one thing I do know, is that it’s illegal to set a moving screen, which if you watch the replay video, is what the UConn player did. Tough call with less than 5 seconds remaining no doubt, but technically the correct call. 

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2222
Post on old board: 6782

I didn't watch a single second of the game so I have NO idea how the rest of the game was called.  But seriously...take off your maroon colored glasses and agree that was an illegal screen.  The screener was NOT set, nevermind her elbow.  Doesn't matter if this happens at 3.9 seconds left or 6 minutes left...it was an illegal moving screen.

Two things are true...it WAS an invalid fair catch signal and that was an illegal moving screen.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 585

It matters how the game was called before that play. For what it’s worth imo if the ref doesn’t call that all game you shouldn’t call it then either. Looks like “by the book” it’s a legit foul, but unless you’re into the entire game it’s almost an unfair question to ask if it’s the right call. The main problem I have with officiating, (no offense to any) is calling something at a crucial game changing moment when it’s let go up until.  Contact with db’s on wr’s, the strike zone, etc.. if officiating is consistent to the call or no call it shouldn’t create controversy or maybe as much but easier said than done. You don’t think an official gets caught up in the heat of the moment and wants to be perfect at a critical time and forgets everything that’s happened prior to that? I wouldn’t want that job.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Posted by: @g-manpuck

I didn't watch a single second of the game so I have NO idea how the rest of the game was called.  But seriously...take off your maroon colored glasses and agree that was an illegal screen.  The screener was NOT set, nevermind her elbow.  Doesn't matter if this happens at 3.9 seconds left or 6 minutes left...it was an illegal moving screen.

Two things are true...it WAS an invalid fair catch signal and that was an illegal moving screen.

Agree with a lot of what Camo Coat Guy says above.  By the book it could be called a foul, but you could call a foul on almost every series if you went by the book.  I played competitive basketball for over 30 years (and did a little bit of reffing)...that was not foul to be called in that moment.  I can think of a couple of much more egregious fouls committed by Iowa that weren't called.  

I get it...NCAA women's basketball is at an all-time ratings high. They had to guarantee CC was in the final and the refs made sure it would happen with the ticky-tack fouls they called on UConn.  UConn was robbed.

ReplyQuote

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @idontknow

Agree with a lot of what Camo Coat Guy says above.  By the book it could be called a foul, but you could call a foul on almost every series if you went by the book.  I played competitive basketball for over 30 years (and did a little bit of reffing)...that was not foul to be called in that moment.  I can think of a couple of much more egregious fouls committed by Iowa that weren't called.  

I get it...NCAA women's basketball is at an all-time ratings high. They had to guarantee CC was in the final and the refs made sure it would happen with the ticky-tack fouls they called on UConn.  UConn was robbed.

These guys all wanna look smart by being contrarian but of course ALL the analysts saying that’s a bad call iare wrong and these dudes who hate basketball are right. Some people are just desperate for attention. 

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

These guys all wanna look smart by being contrarian but of course ALL the analysts saying that’s a bad call iare wrong and these dudes who hate basketball are right. Some people are just desperate for attention. 

Basketball and hockey have a lot in common in regards to how refs have to make judgment calls many times a game (even more often in basketball).  When I played competitive basketball I almost always thought the calls were better in pickup games where players called their own fouls.  Very rarely did players get things wrong.  Then I would go to my refereed games and be super frustrated by all the missed calls. You just hope that the refs are consistent and fair.

I thought last night that Iowa was definitely the beneficiary of the borderline calls all night long (I actually had a bigger problem with the whole of the game than the final call). UConn had a perfect game plan to stop Clark and it almost worked, but the early ticky-tack fouls caused them to have to back off on their defending which allowed Clark to get some momentum in the 2nd half.  The final call was one that could go either way, but I think with how the game was being played and Marshall selling it a little bit, that's a call you just don't make in that moment.  Add to it the obvious incentive the NCAA has to have CC in the final and it all is very intriguing (CC playing in the final has to be worth multi-millions of dollars to the network/NCAA). 

Now that Auriema has shown how to stop CC, I think a team like South Carolina which doesn't have the depth issues that UConn had (along with a lot of great defenders) should have no problem beating Iowa.  Will make for good viewing at least.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Clark is without a doubt selling the game. I was at a pub (rare these days) in an afternoon when gopher hockey was on sometime in January? Anyway the next thing I know I’m looking up at Iowa basketball and I over hear something about this Clark and a points record. I had absolutely no clue on who she is or anything but it’s getting the casual fans out there to flip channels. I personally had no interest in following that game over hockey but I understand the hype and excitement over watching history in the making. 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2005

It was the right call. She clearly stuck her elbow out. People don't want refs to decide the game by calling fouls at the end. But if they don't call it they're also deciding the game.

gator and g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @norm

It was the right call. She clearly stuck her elbow out. People don't want refs to decide the game by calling fouls at the end. But if they don't call it they're also deciding the game.

You're just looking for attention. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @slap-shot

The generally used term for that is troll 

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2222
Post on old board: 6782

I understand the viewpoint that you need to call the fouls throughout the game and not just at the deciding point at the end of the game.  I DO NOT believe for one moment that the foul was called to get CC to the final game.  A blind person could even see that. Laugh  

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote

Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 526

I didnt watch the game, so i have no idea how it was being called throughout,  but moving/illegal screens was a point of emphasis this season, so it's not surprising. I only watched the highlight to see what all the hubbub was.  That was an extremely easy call to make. it was pretty much the definition of a moving screen. 

g-manpuck and gator reacted
ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 95

While that may have been a foul by definition, this game had a lot of fouls that were not called. And that is why I believe the ref should've been swallowing the whistle on that particular foul at this point in the game.

Full disclosure: Against my better judgement, I was rooting for Iowa this game. But I didn't like how it ended in that manner. And I will be uncharacteristically for myself, rooting for an undefeated team to win the title. Because I CANNOT root for Iowa to win any championships.

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

I have never understood people wanting to have refs not call penalties because it is the end of the game.

I am also not buying it when people say they weren't calling it on Iowa all game long. Has anyone seen anyone post examples? Should be easy if it as bad as they are saying.

Good luck tomorrow Iowa.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2262

To those saying it’s a foul, particularly those who didn’t watch the game, as others have pointed out, they didn’t call it all game and then decided to in the biggest moment. It’s the same as an ump deciding on strike 3 in the bottom of the 9th that he’s going to give the guy the corner he hasn’t all game. Consistency is key. Oddly enough, Iowa who is the heaviest screening team in the league (to get Clark open) had none called and they allowed both teams to play very physically on the pick and roll all game. There’s a reason all the fans of basketball and particularly the players are not happy with the call. It’s not a “situational” reason to me (the same as I agree in hockey if it’s a penalty in the first, it’s a penalty in the 5th OT), it’s that you changed how you called it, the exact same as swallowing the whistle at the end. Just be consistent as best as you can from start to finish. This crew had a rough night with varying ticky tack crap and letting them be physical and it was amplified further with that junk at the end. 

as someone who only officiated hockey for a couple years, isn’t it standard you kind of talk to your co-officials ahead of the game (as well as try get yourselves synchronous through the game) in how you’re calling it? There will be contact and judgement things, but I remember talking about things like body contact, accidental tripping when someone falls down, etc so we were on the same page. Unsure if that’s standard but feels like something that may help with the variation that’s notorious in CBB

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

I don’t follow hoops like I used to but isn’t this the first deep run NC State has made in the dance since the late jimmy v’s team that took down Houston back in was it the late 80’s? Love valvano for everything he did for cancer research and if anyone hasn’t seen “the speech” that espn did about his story it’s a must watch.

ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level

On another note, I'm pretty angry to just find out that I need to subscribe to another platform to legally stream the men's Final Four. I already have Prime, ESPN+, Hulu, Disney+, Peacock, Paramount+ and Showtime. I specifically have Showtime, because I had to subscribe to Paramount+ to get the first rounds of March Madness. But then when I subscribed, they forced me to upgrade to the Showtime package to get the games. The old bait and switch! Now I also have to get Max to get the Final Four? Screw that! I'll do without. 2024 is the year of the women's Final Four.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

1983 I had to look

ReplyQuote

JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level

@camo-coat-guy And to think that both NC State mens and womens teams made it at the same time. Pretty cool.

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 574

Posted by: @upnorthkid

To those saying it’s a foul, particularly those who didn’t watch the game, as others have pointed out, they didn’t call it all game and then decided to in the biggest moment. 

I have not been able to find people posting examples of all the other missed calls "all game". Do you have examples? I would expect to see all the examples going both ways.

I watched the game but am not a huge BB fan. I didn't see a huge imbalance in the refs through the game. I could be wrong but I didn't see it.

ReplyQuote
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 262

They had to guarantee CC was in the final and the refs made sure it would happen with the ticky-tack fouls they called on UConn.  UConn was robbed.

It's so obvious.

Can't stand the faker, could never cheer for her or Iowa.

I do think that the U Conn coach is very good and should be coach of the year for getting that group to the final four and a 33-6 record.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Topic starter  

I’m loving the Ian Eagle Mark Sears references:

”This Sears is open for business and delivers”

”Sears is showing off the whole catalog”

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5715
Post on old board: 16243

The call last night in the UConn/Iowa was 110% the correct call. Too many people watch games and make comments through shaded glasses.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

They were letting them play the whole game, and decided, "Oh, we'll call THIS one." That's what bothers me. It was inconsistent of the reffing style beforehand. 

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

CC is the greatest. I can't argue that one. Paige good, though. 

CC stayed home and went to Iowa to be someone. Paige took the easy road and went to UConn. I like CC for so many reasons and I’ll leave it at that. Go Iowa and I’m one of the biggest Iowa haters around… ask @g-manpuck 

g-manpuck and JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

If CC was the "only" star, of course her stats are inflated compared to a complete team like UCONN (I say this in general, hold your horses). She's STILL the GOAT. And Paige, being on UCONN!!!!! , which is a deeper team, still is putting up great numbers. UCONN isn't *as* dominant as back in the Lobo days, the rest of that world is catching up to the SCs, TNs, LSUs, etc. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

They were letting them play the whole game, and decided, "Oh, we'll call THIS one." That's what bothers me. It was inconsistent of the reffing style beforehand. 

And I would agree to a point. There were calls missed and phantom calls. Even the tv commentators made comments. Though that was 110% a foul and should be called all the time. If they allowed offensive moving screens all night, than UConn has a complaint. Though I didn’t see them allowing it. 
And for everyone saying let them play. And use hockey as an excuse. Most stripes try not to make a call late or OT. Only if it involves a scoring play. Well it was a legit foul on a scoring play.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Be consistent. And last night, that call wasn't consistent. *shrug*

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@the-rube 

i’m not disagreeing… Though should the stripes let a legit call go because they’re having a shitty night and they’ve missed some calls.

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Again, they were letting them play until that moment. We've both said our pieces, so this will be the last of it from me. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@the-rube 

I guess we watched two different games when it comes to “letting them play”.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Didn’t Clark want to go to UConn, but they didn’t recruit her?

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

The generally used term for that is troll 

Noting it was a blatant foul equals trolling now.  Oh the ironing [sic].

To those arguing calls shouldn't decide games - how about the reverse? If they don't call that OBVIOUS moving block and elbow and UCONN is able to take the lead and win, doesn't a no-call in turn decide the game?

As for how the game was called up to that point, I believe there were 26 fouls or so between the teams up until that point.  That's not a 0 penalty hockey game with 1 penalty called in the final minutes of the 3rd period.  How many of you objected to the penalty to Maine in OT in 2002?

gator and Norm reacted
ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

Didn’t Clark want to go to UConn, but they didn’t recruit her?

I believe you are correct.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

SC starting to pull away, 2 pts here, 3 pts there. Caitlyn needs to get back in the zone, as she was in the first quarter. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

The lack of defensive rebounds for Iowa and the second chance points for South Carolina is the biggest difference in the game. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Bench points is a huge factor. Last I saw it was 32-0 for SC. 😯 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

South Carolina just too big and physical play along with bench play. Iowa had their chances but just came up short.

gopherguy06 reacted
ReplyQuote
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Bench points is a huge factor. Last I saw it was 32-0 for SC. 😯 

up to 37-0 now. 

ReplyQuote

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

USC will win it. Their size was dominate inside and the lack of help off the bench. Clarke had a great first quarter and finishes with 30 but then held in check mostly. 

USC remains undefeated and beats Iowa 87-75

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4