57 Users
236 Reactions
24.9 K Views
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4260
Post on old board: 12555

That is embarrassing.  Everyone on the defense but on the play fake and Northwestern, of all teams, makes it look easy.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10937
Post on old board: 21741

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5390

Hahahaha. Got what they deserve there. What an embarrassing game. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1798

Pathetic… on all fronts. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Blowing a lead like that against an actual big ten team wouldn’t be acceptable but doing it vs Northwestern… ? ? ? 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692

Beyond embarrassing. Beyond pathetic. Absolutely horrible. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1857
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

It was going to be a down year. It was a 6-7 win season based on schedule and talent losses. But tonight’s was bad. No excuse for giving up 31 to NU. Defense let the team down. Very unlike a Rossi D. 

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1292
Post on old board: 5215

What an astonishingly horrid, pathetic loss. I've been realistic in expectations about the Gophers for well over 50 years now, but this one is incredibly awful. Last week was bad, but I thought "Okay, win today and next week and at least you're 4-1 and 2-0 in the conference heading to the Michigan game, which will probably be heinous". Now, I wouldn't even put a dime on the Louisiana game. Ugh.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8117
Post on old board: 35040

It's not THAT they lost, in my eyes. It's HOW they lost. Pathetic. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

Screenshot 2023 09 23 11.08.04 PM

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

The 21-point deficit overcome by

tonight was the largest entering the 4th quarter in a win in school history. Record had been 20 pts, at Illinois in 1992.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7603
Post on old board: 10120

I’m going to the Vikes game tomorrow.  Should I get my hopes up to see at least one Minnesota sports team not go Minnesota sports on it? ?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

I’m going to the Vikes game tomorrow.  Should I get my hopes up to see at least one Minnesota sports team not go Minnesota sports on it? ?

If you are a true MN, you would not ask such a question. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 433
Post on old board: 9527

The lack of any other RB is astonishing. They can’t continue to run their freshman that many times. 

defense backs was supposed to be a strength this season and been a sieve. 

EMBARASSING loss to a terrible NU team! 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

In the 4th quarter, I thought I was watching a Glenn Mason defensive backfield…

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3520
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @gopherguy06

The lack of any other RB is astonishing. They can’t continue to run their freshman that many times. 

defense backs was supposed to be a strength this season and been a sieve. 

EMBARASSING loss to a terrible NU team! 

I have to assume Zach Evans is injured or something because it's astounding to me that he hasn't gotten a touch yet in the regular season.

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

"Parental Discretion IS Advised"  ?

F64VTA1aMAAm9v5

Greyeagle reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5834
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @chris83

"Parental Discretion IS Advised"  ?

F64VTA1aMAAm9v5

This game the Gophers will cover and have their chance to win, but choke it away in the closing seconds... similar to the Michigan/Gophers at TCF on Halloween night in 2015.

MARK MY WORDS...

Keep your stick on the ice...

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

You know what, crap happens.  I'm over the NU loss.  Was it bad? Yes.  Should it have happened? No.  But it was a bad (very bad) quarter of football to a desperate team.  Doesn't need to define a season that we knew would be a down season.

It's a really young secondary due to injuries, Autman-Ball hasn't taken more than 12 snaps in a game and isn't back to his normal self, we have a true freshman at running back, Spann-Ford is not playing nearly to his potential...  We're in a down cycle year which have been fewer and farther between with Fleck.  After back to back 9 win seasons and 9+ in 3 of 4 seasons, we were bound to have a setback year.

Let's just get after it!

Greyeagle reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

We're in a down cycle year which have been fewer and farther between with Fleck.  After back to back 9 win seasons and 9+ in 3 of 4 seasons, we were bound to have a setback year.

Let's just get after it!

I think this is the future of Gopher Football, with the expansion of the BIG, NIL deals and the transfer portal. Can Minnesota become an elite like WisconSIN and Iowa has become since the early 90s... Sure. Can they become like Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State... Probably not. With the way college football is trending, they are going to behind the 8 ball every year. 

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2446
Post on old board: 6782

Posted by: @gator

elite like...Iowa

Season 1 What GIF by Paramount+

Did you type that with a straight face?

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Greyeagle reacted

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@g-manpuck 

As much as I hate it. After Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. Iowa and wisconSIN are the next level of eliteness in the BIG. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Posted by: @gator

elite like...Iowa

Season 1 What GIF by Paramount+

Did you type that with a straight face?

This is almost an elite post. ? 

Well Done Thank You GIF by Spotify

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

g-manpuck reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2068

Gonna be weird when teams like Oregon and USC join. Even Ohio St will have a tough time winning the Big 10.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @norm

Gonna be weird when teams like Oregon and USC join. Even Ohio St will have a tough time winning the Big 10.

First Penn State & later Nebraska were going to "own" the B1G when they joined.  

USC, (the real) UW, Oregon, etc. may do very well and I'm certainly not suggesting they won't have success but I’ve seen this movie  

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1206
Post on old board: 6069

On his weekly radio show, Fleck opened a vein a little bit about the NIL.  Talking about Darius Taylor and how we have to pay him to keep him here.  Said there's one RB who we didn't pay and he left for money.  I'm assuming he's talking about Bucky Irving with Oregon.  It was a slight moment where he seemed really frustrated that he recruited a player and left in the portal.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7613
Post on old board: 18942

The U according to a previously shared stat is getting have the amount of NLI$ as Wisconsin. If that's accurate they have to close that gap or they're going to be hurting all over the board outside of perhaps hockey.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @snowcool08

On his weekly radio show, Fleck opened a vein a little bit about the NIL.  Talking about Darius Taylor and how we have to pay him to keep him here.  Said there's one RB who we didn't pay and he left for money.  I'm assuming he's talking about Bucky Irving with Oregon.  It was a slight moment where he seemed really frustrated that he recruited a player and left in the portal.  

Listened to this also. He literally said they will become a “AAA” ball club for other teams if they don’t get NIL money quickly. 

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1033
Post on old board: 8405

Said it from the start  NIL is not a good thing.     

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bert

It's going to be a pool of 20 schools that will be competitive because they have donors with big $.  The Gophers have always been a step behind in raising funds.  We fans don't support as much as other schools.  Maybe having sucked up so much money to build a stadium and an athlete's village, the donors feel like they've been sucked dry?  The recruits of late are a step below what PJ could get before NIL became a thing.

It may also be happening in hockey.  Lots of money in Boston.... and also lots of high end commitments lately.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 692

I don't disagree.

Unfortunately, it was inevitable.  The NCAA was acting monopolistic by imposing bans on earning income outside of your athletic endeavor. 

But as we all know it opens up the wild west for the SMUs of the world where well-heeled donors want to "buy" a team.  That is the new reality, like it or not.  Unfortunately, for UMN and others like it-- a dollar going to a NIL from a donor is NOT going to the university, so it will require the U to adjust as well.  It is going to hit your mid-majors really, really hard (most of those are already being subsidized by student fees, and as athletes continue to get segregated from the student body, the appetite to do that will decrease rapidly).

Next up will be actual compensation for athletes, and the B1G and $EC will jump on board with that, making it a true minor league for the NFL, which will all but kill the non-power 4 schools.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

I have a hunch the evolution of the NCAA and its inability to plan forward will become a case study in grad schools for years to come.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

I don't disagree.

Unfortunately, it was inevitable.  The NCAA was acting monopolistic by imposing bans on earning income outside of your athletic endeavor. 

But as we all know it opens up the wild west for the SMUs of the world where well-heeled donors want to "buy" a team.  That is the new reality, like it or not.  Unfortunately, for UMN and others like it-- a dollar going to a NIL from a donor is NOT going to the university, so it will require the U to adjust as well.  It is going to hit your mid-majors really, really hard (most of those are already being subsidized by student fees, and as athletes continue to get segregated from the student body, the appetite to do that will decrease rapidly).

Next up will be actual compensation for athletes, and the B1G and $EC will jump on board with that, making it a true minor league for the NFL, which will all but kill the non-power 4 schools.

I think it'll eventually kill off half of the Power 4 schools as well.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

NIL would be fine if there was regulation over it.  Max amounts, parity ensured across schools (i.e. a salary cap equivalent), etc.  If a student could be capped at 125% of cost of school or 100% of a full scholarship, or some sort of protection from getting stupid "endorsement" money for eating a burrito it would be fine.  We went from 0 to 500 mph in a nanosecond and it's going to ruin college sports.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 692

NIL would be fine if there was regulation over it.  Max amounts, parity ensured across schools (i.e. a salary cap equivalent), etc.  If a student could be capped at 125% of cost of school or 100% of a full scholarship, or some sort of protection from getting stupid "endorsement" money for eating a burrito it would be fine.  We went from 0 to 500 mph in a nanosecond and it's going to ruin college sports.

For as annoying and brain-dead as the NCAA is, this really isn't their fault. 

Remember that the NCAA cannot put such a regulation in place.  Regulations limiting compensation of student-athletes  (especially outside of their athletic field) would be an antitrust violation, which the SCOTUS declined to grant an exemption to the NCAA in the Alston case a year or so ago. 

This whole time the NCAA really wanted to make some rules, but weren't able to. They went to Congress to ask for an exemption to do so.  Congress said no also.  What are they supposed to do?

Now, if student-athletes win the ability to collectively bargain, then there is the possibility of a CBA which could have those types of restrictions in place.  But that would mean we treat student-athletes as employees, which entails compensation, workers compensation, overtime, etc.  A brand new set of issues gets unveiled there.

Eric Vegoe reacted

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

For as annoying and brain-dead as the NCAA is, this really isn't their fault. 

Remember that the NCAA cannot put such a regulation in place.  Regulations limiting compensation of student-athletes  (especially outside of their athletic field) would be an antitrust violation, which the SCOTUS declined to grant an exemption to the NCAA in the Alston case a year or so ago. 

This whole time the NCAA really wanted to make some rules, but weren't able to. They went to Congress to ask for an exemption to do so.  Congress said no also.  What are they supposed to do?

Now, if student-athletes win the ability to collectively bargain, then there is the possibility of a CBA which could have those types of restrictions in place.  But that would mean we treat student-athletes as employees, which entails compensation, workers compensation, overtime, etc.  A brand new set of issues gets unveiled there.

Yea that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - but just at the idiocy that is all of those organizations who don't seem to think through decision making consequences (much further reaching than impact on college sports).

SkiUMahLaw reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Ruh row

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1708116048308756886?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I see what you did there.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

How is Rob Wenger still the special teams coach? What a total embarrassment 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

How is Rob Wenger still the special teams coach? What a total embarrassment 

The lad needs to understand where on the field he is.

This drive is looking better.  I've probably jinxed it....

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Evans looks good. Kind of irritates me that this is the first we’ve seen him. Is Taylor hurt if they rotate last week? Do they still lose that game?

Useless things to ask of course, but I’m human.

trixR4kids reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1279
Post on old board: 5547

I like the Gold helmet’s

Aloha!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

The stand up and get blocked pass rush is not cutting it.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

I wonder if Lindenberg will ever be back. Could really use that talent in the secondary. He’s been questionable all season. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Getting that sinking feeling.... 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @greyeagle

Getting that sinking feeling.... 

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Special Teams being special again. Luckily, Bryson managed to get the ball there. No clue how. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @karlsson

Special Teams being special again. Luckily, Bryson managed to get the ball there. No clue how. 

The onside should not have been a surprise.

But...the win is procured.

College Sports Cape GIF by Minnesota Gophers

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

@greyeagle 

It wasn’t a surprise, we had our hands team out there, we just couldn’t execute on special teams very well.  Surprising I know.

At the end of the day, we won what could have been a letdown game.  Our defense got back on track after that 1st quarter (Louisiana gained 131 of their 349 total yards in Q1) minus that would late TD run they gave up, and the offense seems to be at least progressing somewhat.

No expectations for next week.  Get at least 10 points and don’t allow more than 40?

Greyeagle reacted

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1279
Post on old board: 5547

It was hot and humid today at the Gopher game why was Fleck wearing a sweater for the complete game?

Aloha!

Page 6 / 20