Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.9 K Views
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3977
Post on old board: 9428

Holy crap what a meltdown by WIS O 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840

WE GOT THE AXE!

Cowgirl and The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7686
Post on old board: 35040

Where's the Goldy/Bucky smiley? 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1208

Posted by: @beauner

WE GOT KEEP THE AXE!

FYP

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

3 of the last 4 WIS passes were uncatchable balls out of the back of the end zone. Why?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7544

That's two wins in a row over the BADgers and the all time series record is now tied 62-62-8

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Posted by: @bigbeer

3 of the last 4 WIS passes were uncatchable balls out of the back of the end zone. Why?

They were fishing for PI calls and that was a backup QB who hadn't thrown a pass before today.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4619
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @chill-kessel

They were fishing for PI calls and that was a backup QB who hadn't thrown a pass before today.

I wonder what gave them the idea that they might get favorable calls that go against reality...

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7264
Post on old board: 10120

who cares!  Worked out well for us. 😉

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7686
Post on old board: 35040

In WIS, so...

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 28736

Well once they got penalties they had no real choice.  The Gophers were basically lining up on the end line (even before the last play) so it either had to be a perfect throw or they needed a miracle.

The thing is though, the clock should have run out before all of that...when they got an injury the clock should have started as soon as the ball was placed (happened after they got a first down) and it never happened.  PJ was ticked.  They got a gift free TO because of that. (it would have run off a few seconds so it wouldnt have ended on that play or anything)  Then again if they had the pro ules the game would have ended after the 3rd penalty on WI at the end. (10 second run off each penalty)

The Walley PI was a PI but they had been letting stuff like that go all game.  In real time though it looks way worse than it is so I can't really fault the ref from throwing the flag cause from his angle it looks like Walley is climbing his back to make the play.

Greyeagle reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

The thing is though, the clock should have run out before all of that...when they got an injury the clock should have started as soon as the ball was placed (happened after they got a first down) and it never happened.  PJ was ticked.  They got a gift free TO because of that. 

That's what I thought too. Since the clock stopped for the first down they don't do the runoff but the clock starts as soon as they spot it.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

The thing is though, the clock should have run out before all of that...when they got an injury the clock should have started as soon as the ball was placed (happened after they got a first down) and it never happened.  PJ was ticked.  They got a gift free TO because of that. 

That's what I thought too. Since the clock stopped for the first down they don't do the runoff but the clock starts as soon as they spot it.

The clock had already stopped when the injured WIS player was down because I believe they ruled an incomplete pass and not a fumble but the ref didn’t explain. It looked like it might have been a fumble but his arm was moving forward so I think they ruled it an incomplete pass even tho the lineman picked it up and ran with it. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

A lot less likely to get a PI call when the ball isn’t catchable. I would bet the backup QB was pretty amped up but also gunshy about throwing an INT when he really should have been much more willing to take chances with the game on the line. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

The clock had already stopped when the injured WIS player was down because I believe they ruled an incomplete pass and not a fumble but the ref didn’t explain. It looked like it might have been a fumble but his arm was moving forward so I think they ruled it an incomplete pass even tho the lineman picked it up and ran with it. 

That isn't the play we are talking about.  This was a play where they got a first down and the RB got kneed in the head and stumbled and fell in the backfield as they got to the line.  As soon as they set the ball and both teams were set (after he left) the clock should have started going.  Next play was the pass that was another first down that they got out of bounds on I think.  Then came the PI, then the WI meltdown. (I can check the DVR but I believe that was the sequence)

It was when the ESPN announcers said "PJ is going nuts on the sideline!" they just didn't know why.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

That isn't the play we are talking about.  This was a play where they got a first down and the RB got kneed in the head and stumbled and fell in the backfield as they got to the line.  As soon as they set the ball and both teams were set (after he left) the clock should have started going.  Next play was the pass that was another first down that they got out of bounds on I think.  Then came the PI, then the WI meltdown. (I can check the DVR but I believe that was the sequence)

I think you’re right 

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Let’s goooooo!!!! That guy could have a nice career for us #0 Brockington

With Brockington, Hoskins, Jackson, CAB, Wright, MBS, and potentially BFS returning next year, if Kaliakmanis continues to develop and our WRs spend all summer working on catching balls that hit them in the chest they may have a pretty fun passing attack...if they choose to use it.

still need to try to get one or two in the TP

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

8-4 and a great way to end the season. The pig would have been nice but glad to see the win against Wisky

Greyeagle and gator reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Let’s goooooo!!!! That guy could have a nice career for us #0 Brockington

With Brockington, Hoskins, Jackson, CAB, Wright, MBS, and potentially BFS returning next year, if Kaliakmanis continues to develop and our WRs spend all summer working on catching balls that hit them in the chest they may have a pretty fun passing attack...if they choose to use it.

Yeah Kaliakmanis has looked really good at times and is capable of throwing deep balls. Some of the guys you mention should improve and looked good today (other times sporadically) but also CAB coming back should help a lot. Will be interesting to see if Brockington gets a bigger role too.

Not exactly the season we hoped for but at least they won the axe and have a chance at a 9 win season, not bad by any means.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7007
Post on old board: 18942

Screenshot 20221127 163114 LINE

The eldest reported back on his trip to Madison for the game. They went Friday night and quite a bit of time on State Street etc.  Said it was fun, no issues, Gopher fans were plentiful but he said not as many as he would have thought. Said when they played Jump Around midway in the 4th the Sconnies hardly reacted.

Greyeagle reacted
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

Per ESPN's bowl projections, the Gophers are set to go back to the Music City Bowl on Dec 31 vs either Ole Miss or Kentucky.  It's a noon game and the only football game on the schedule that day, NFL or college, so it could be worse.

trixR4kids reacted

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Time to beat another SEC team in a bowl game. 

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

I don't think that is a terrible destination. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10550
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

Jerry Palm From CBS has Music City as Iowa v. U-Mississippi.  He has MN playing Florida State in the Duke's Mayo Bowl (Charlotte) on 12/30 at noon eastern.  I seem to recall he's considered fairly accurate among people who follow this way closer than I do.  Always interesting to see how it plays out each year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5650
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @greyeagle

Jerry Palm From CBS has Music City as Iowa v. U-Mississippi.  He has MN playing Florida State in the Duke's Mayo Bowl (Charlotte) on 12/30 at noon eastern.  I seem to recall he's considered fairly accurate among people who follow this way closer than I do.  Always interesting to see how it plays out each year.

Either Ole Miss or Florida St. are two respectable programs to play in a bowl game.  

Keep your stick on the ice...

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Interesting to see he has Notre Shame getting a BIG Bowl, playing Miss. St. in the Gator Bowl. 

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/1597282969357496320?s=20&t=dC4xHbUsHMhJ_4e-17QpiA

former 4 star so will be nice to get some depth and competition for the WR room

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

I think it will be the Pinstripe Bowl. You take where they should be then subtract 2. 

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 753

@jwg you forgot to add those two to Notre Dame

gator reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

I think it will be the Pinstripe Bowl. You take where they should be then subtract 2. 

If it is the Pinstripe it will only benevolent we haven't gone there and other schools have.  I still think we end up better though...

I'm not too worried about it though. 

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1597615382705369088?s=20&t=HoElOGi6KWuuNz1X1Yc4qQ

That's more than snubbed, that's flat out DISRESPECTED.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @gator

Interesting to see he has Notre Shame getting a BIG Bowl, playing Miss. St. in the Gator Bowl. 

The gator isn't a Big Ten bowl anymore.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Posted by: @gator

The gator isn't a Big Ten bowl anymore.

According to Jerry Palm from CBS, it's a BIG/SEC Bowl. So I looked it up and it does have an ACC tie in. Which is funny cause Notre Shame plays an ACC schedule but technically is still Independent.

Untitled

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Some bowls have weird factors attached or schedules that change year to year.  It's why projection can be weird and often make little sense.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

@gator Considering your handle, you really need to bone up on the Gatorbowl eligibility and projections.

gator reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12570
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1598007013228822529

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1598007013228822529

Mo. First team all B1G, and passed over by two other B1G RBs for Doak Wlaker finalist? I said it before, I'll say it again. That's not being snubbed, that being disrespected.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4619
Post on old board: 10695

Well, one of the two other B1G RBs finished on the all-conference first team with him, and got "RB of the year" ... But he did finish ahead of the Illinois RB that is a finalist.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/RJstrib/status/1598774470994497561

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

https://twitter.com/RJstrib/status/1598774470994497561

Huge for us to have that leadership and with Dixon and Smith showing promise will be nice to have some depth. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Yay!!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/TheDailyGopher/status/1599466723966857217

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10550
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

So tOSU moving into the playoffs should move all B1G teams up a slot, right?  I read on the CBS tracker that PSU is going to the Rose Bowl and thinking (hoping) this should help MN get a better bowl. 

Palm has MN heading to the Mayo (not clinic) bowl.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/TonyLiebert/status/1599506615925104640

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5168

Flipped us with Wisconsin again? Even though we beat them? Again?

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Well actually the Pinstripe Bowl selects even before the Mayo Bowl. (let alone Phoenix which is I think right before Detroit but I forget)  Nothing was going to stop this it seems because of who had already gone to the Pinstripe and where they selected.  Plus we played in Phoenix last year after we got jumped by teams that had no business jumping us...

Why this bowl exists no one seems to know.

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

https://twitter.com/TheDailyGopher/status/1599466723966857217

Interesting as he was likely the heir apparent to the other S spit from Nubin. Big loss in my opinion. 

Page 16 / 20