50 Users
119 Reactions
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7719
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @frozen4champs

The passing on the Gophers need to be sharper and the offense needs to create shots that will produce rebounds.

still too many times they should have taken the shot instead of giving up a picked off pass.  

third period is ours.  Let’s go boys! Retro Goldy  

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @cowgirl

The passing on the Gophers need to be sharper and the offense needs to create shots that will produce rebounds.

still too many times they should have taken the shot instead of giving up a picked off pass.  

third period is ours.  Let’s go boys! Retro Goldy  

I agree. Too many drop passes and soft passes.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

So far this game is less about what St Cloud is doing and more about what the Gophers are not doing. They haven't been sharp and haven't gotten shots through. Good goal tending has snuffed out the few good chances they've had.

They look a little out of sync tonight and the Cooley line hasn't dominated at all...probably needs some rest. St Cloud has done a nice job shutting down zone entries, but the Gophers need to figure out how to beat teams like this. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Tonight’s system appears to be stop, drop, and turnover.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

They've had no continuity or flow for the majority of the game. Discombobulated.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

They've had no continuity or flow for the majority of the game. Discombobulated.

that was the word I was going to use!  Half asleep they seem.  Someone needs to rifle one in and fire the M up! 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

St cloud 4 guys on the blue line all night. Reminds me of UMD or Bemidji. Such a boring game, and gophers haven't figured it out yet.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Kupka 2-0, ENG.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

We better see a very big response tomorrow.  This was pathetic.  

gopherfun83 reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @streakygopher

St cloud 4 guys on the blue line all night. Reminds me of UMD or Bemidji. Such a boring game, and gophers haven't figured it out yet.

Yeah there were maybe a few minutes at most combined in this game that qualified as entertaining hockey. The rest was a boring slogfest against a boring team.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Cruikshank 3-0.

Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Why didn’t Bob call timeout and rest our best players?

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Game over, SCSU wins 3-0.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Just glad we don't have to listen to the Whioux announcer again this year.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8301
Post on old board: 35040

I mentioned it in chat. 4-1 we win tomorrow. That ain't no guess. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gopherfun83 reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Pretty disappointed in that effort tonight. Hope Minnesota learned they can't wait until the last 5 minutes of the game to pit the foot on the gas. 

I would have liked to see Faber and Lacombe play a little offense with more time on the clock.

Zero goals?!

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

It’s frustrating for sure but it’s one game against an elite defensive team and the gophers best players aren’t on their usual rest/practice schedule. I’d be more concerned if this game happened before the long break. That said hopefully they can rebound tomorrow, I think they’re more than capable of it.

gopherfun83, MikeEruzione11, Rau4SkiUMah and 2 people reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Posted by: @streakygopher

Zero goals!?

I think Nevers might’ve tied the game if that dude didn’t pull his stick out of his hands on a rebound chance which… somehow went uncalled lol. But yeah they didn’t have many chances.

gopherfun83 reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Nevers had a tap in earlier in the game but was a half step slow to the net

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The Gophers had their chances, although only a few of them. Snuggy's breakaway, the Farm kid had a couple of good chances as well, and Nevers. Like I said earlier, their globetrotter like passes may work against the BADgers, but they need to clean that stuff up. This game could have gone either way, and I expect a little more fire tomorrow at Mariucci from our squad. 

#Fire Motzko ? 

gopherfun83 reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Just finished up watching a delayed stream and agree with many of y’all. Frustrating game. Too many soft plays and their goalie answered when he needed to. Won’t be surprised if we see they again in the NCAA. Though if we play like this, doubt we’ll get out of the first weekend. Need to get their shit together tomorrow and jump on them. Don’t think this STC team can chase us and this was how they had to win

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2406

I am never buying Daisy cottage cheese.

But what will you dip your tortilla chips into?  That was disgusting.  ?

Seriously, man up dude in the commercial. 

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4200
Post on old board: 9428

I am never buying Daisy cottage cheese.

That jingle is “cars for kids” level effective

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Goalie made a great save on Snuggeurd’s mini breakaway early. He was rock solid all game.  Gophers didn’t play great but I thought they skated hard. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

They controlled the game, but need to shoot more. They could have easily had 30+ shots tonight. Well after a good night's rest they will whoop them tomorrow! Go Gophers!

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

Was at the game. I don’t think they played bad. Thought St. Cloud was pretty ordinary and not really inspiring. Despite the result the Gophers are a better squad.

Different game if Snuggy buries that one 2 minutes into the game. Their goalie played great.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

I thought we controlled the puck way more and could have had a lot more chances had we not gone for the cute drop pass.  
Probably didn’t help their goalie had his lucky charms for breakfast.   It just felt as if that spark was missing.  Don’t know if it was post holiday, first time with full squad back, or the bright lights of the new scoreboards, but something was off. 
hope we sort it out for tomorrow and bring back that Mariucci magic! 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8301
Post on old board: 35040

St Cloud is a good team. That being said, tonight was indeed frustrating. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

Posted by: @wilson34

Was at the game. I don’t think they played bad. Thought St. Cloud was pretty ordinary and not really inspiring. Despite the result the Gophers are a better squad.

Different game if Snuggy buries that one 2 minutes into the game. Their goalie played great.

I agree. I was also at the game and thought the NCHC officials called some "ticky tack" penalties on the Gophers and swallowed their whistles when St Cloud did similar infractions. Lastly, the Gophers STILL need to shoot the puck more.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @magic

I agree. I was also at the game and thought the NCHC officials called some "ticky tack" penalties on the Gophers and swallowed their whistles when St Cloud did similar infractions. Lastly, the Gophers STILL need to shoot the puck more.

Agreed. Of course it sounds like sour grapes but the Refs swallowed their whistles in the last 7 minutes or so.

We were sitting down by where the Gophers shot in 1st and 3rd period, and there were several hooks/holds that weren’t called when we pinned them in their zone.

All that being said, our power play looked brutal tonight. Special teams needs to be ready to roll for the postseason. 

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

I thought we controlled the puck way more and could have had a lot more chances had we not gone for the cute drop pass.  
Probably didn’t help their goalie had his lucky charms for breakfast.   It just felt as if that spark was missing.  Don’t know if it was post holiday, first time with full squad back, or the bright lights of the new scoreboards, but something was off. 

I would think the trap would have something to do with it. Alive and well in the NCHC! The Gophers have gotten better against that system. 

On top of the cute drop passes the Gophers make, they miss the net far to much. They need to crash the net more and make the opposing team uncomfortable. 

Cowgirl reacted
Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

that was the word I was going to use!  Half asleep they seem.  Someone needs to rifle one in and fire the M up!

Yes—they need to recombobulate themselves today.

Cowgirl reacted
USHANABI
(@ushanabi)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 187

Posted by: @composer

Yes—they need to recombobulate themselves today.

Was taken away from the streaming audio shortly after the beginning of the 3rd period and was unable to return until after the game was over . . . and when I heard the score, the thing that came immediately to mind was this song at Woodstock ( Sunday, August 17, 1969 ) by Blood, Sweat, and Tears -

Go Gophers!

Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . .
Knowing what to do, they sometime don't do it . . .
The 26th year of the Gopher Men's Hockey Profile got to be too much for this ol' codger to handle . . . what with all of the possible activity on the transfer portal . . . . So, I'm closing it down at the 25th year . . .

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

I was at the game yesterday. I will echo what many people have already said. I don’t think the Gophers looked bad, just a little sluggish and out of sink. I also completely agree with whoever said that the loss had less to do with St Cloud being amazing and more with the Gophers being off their game. Not to discredit the Huskies, they’re certainly a good team, but definitely not some unbeatable juggernaut. If the Gophers clean up the cute little drop passes and just play sharp, simple hockey then I think we’ll be in good shape today. Also, of the WJC players I thought Chesley looked sharp and Mittlestadt was decent. Cooley and Snuggerud looked the most gassed of the four. Which makes sense when you think of the different amount of ice time and pressure each of those guys had on team USA. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

We’re allowed to lose a game. It had been since thanksgiving. Come back and win today and we’ll all be happy. 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1481
Post on old board: 6912

I would think the trap would have something to do with it. Alive and well in the NCHC! The Gophers have gotten better against that system. 

On top of the cute drop passes the Gophers make, they miss the net far to much. They need to crash the net more and make the opposing team uncomfortable. 

Most good teams, and SCSU is one of them… when they have a lead going into the 3rd period, are going to be conservative with their forecheck & trap, it’s just logic, let the opponent chase the game & once under 5 minutes…play for an open net opportunity. Gophers didn’t lose because of inadequate “effort” the often cited losers lament…it was lack of execution. They’re on home ice today with ample motivation to get the split. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

It was obvious from the drop of the puck that SCSU was going to disrupt Minnesota's zone entries. They executed that plan to a T.

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Most good teams, and SCSU is one of them… when they have a lead going into the 3rd period, are going to be conservative with their forecheck & trap, it’s just logic, let the opponent chase the game & once under 5 minutes…play for an open net opportunity. Gophers didn’t lose because of inadequate “effort” the often cited losers lament…it was lack of execution. They’re on home ice today with ample motivation to get the split. 

It’s one thing to be conservative with a lead late, but it’s another thing to play a conservative trap system all game. And that’s what St. Cloud did last night. Boring but effective. St. Cloud offered not real threat offensively.

System is similar to soccer where a team puts all 11 players behind the ball because they know they don’t have the quality to compete. Wasn’t for a lack of effort though. The Gophers were skating.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

From the UMN write up - thought this was a fun stat:

“The announced attendance of 6,051 is more than 700 over the official capacity and the seventh different arena to have a sellout for a Gophers game this season.”

We can sell out everyone else’s arena - now let’s keep selling out our own!  

ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 201

I liked seeing them improve from the Bemidji game. They can slowly improve now through to the end of the season, get better each game. And win today of course.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

@wilson34 it’swhat they said they wanted to do going into the game and that they knew they didn’t want to trade chances with us. We’ll see if we can capitalize/break them down better today. Hope so

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bearpaw28

It’s one thing to be conservative with a lead late, but it’s another thing to play a conservative trap system all game. And that’s what St. Cloud did last night. Boring but effective. St. Cloud offered not real threat offensively.

System is similar to soccer where a team puts all 11 players behind the ball because they know they don’t have the quality to compete. Wasn’t for a lack of effort though. The Gophers were skating.

Mankato plays every game like this. It worked for them against Minnesota in last year's semi final and almost worked again a couple nights later, falling one period short.

St. Cloud can score goals. I think last night they realized who they were playing and realize a run-and-gun style would be suicide.

bearpaw28 reacted

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1612162305256525825?t=5AJ4RdEfo9raf1LxcELyBQ&s=19

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The B1G mistake people are at the bar I'm at. I may push them in a snowbank on my way to Mariucci.

suicide squad comics GIF

gator reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5062
Post on old board: 10695

The B1G mistake people are at the bar I'm at. I may push them in a snowbank on my way to Mariucci.

suicide squad comics GIF

They're pretty nice guys, really.  Unlike some alleged "fans" from back in the WCHA days, the B1G Mistake crew still show up to support the team.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @steve-mn

suicide squad comics GIF

They're pretty nice guys, really.  Unlike some alleged "fans" from back in the WCHA days, the B1G Mistake crew still show up to support the team.

I'm sure they are and I see they attend the games and sit near you guys. I'm just over the B1G bashing.

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

B1G Mistake crew are morons. Especially the couple that sit in sec. 1 in the first couple of rows

2022   (8 22 22) BIG MISTAKE JERSEY

Keep your stick on the ice...

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

suicide squad comics GIF

yes, very nice, and very dedicated Gopher Hockey fans.  Hung out with the Mr. and Mrs. before the game yesterday. 
Yeah you may not like the schtick, but at least they still go to games and support the team, unlike a lot who simply gave up after the transition.  So give them a break. Smile

Eric Vegoe reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

suicide squad comics GIF

yes, very nice, and very dedicated Gopher Hockey fans.  Hung out with the Mr. and Mrs. before the game yesterday. 
Yeah you may not like the schtick, but at least they still go to games and support the team, unlike a lot who simply gave up after the transition.  So give them a break. Smile

I'm sure they are nice people. You are correct, I don't like their schtick.  

Eric Vegoe reacted

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

Feels like I’m watching a similar game to last night. Gophers really need to get that PP clicking. 

Page 3 / 5