37.2 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13211
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

Bartlett is certainly a familiar person to Gopher Hockey -- Logan Cooley and Brock Faber.

https://pickinsplinters.com/2024/04/01/wilkie-scarfone-leaving-rit-through-college-hockeys-transfer-portal/

“We thought maybe an NHL deal would be there so, rightly or wrongly, we’ll use a different platform to up his credibility,” said Steve Bartlett, Wilkie’s family advisor.

Bartlett said the difficult decision will be narrowing down “the 30 or so schools that have already shown interest.”

Interesting article. The RIT coach expected Wilkie to leave, but the goalie caught him off guard and did not seem happy about it. RIT or the coach has a rule that if you enter the portal, you can't change your mind. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13211
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Me refreshing X, Instagram and GPL to try to keep up with the portal news...

Internet Refresh GIF

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2494
Post on old board: 6782

Wilkie...don't think I'm related to him but who knows?

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2667
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

Bartlett is certainly a familiar person to Gopher Hockey -- Logan Cooley and Brock Faber.

https://pickinsplinters.com/2024/04/01/wilkie-scarfone-leaving-rit-through-college-hockeys-transfer-portal/

“We thought maybe an NHL deal would be there so, rightly or wrongly, we’ll use a different platform to up his credibility,” said Steve Bartlett, Wilkie’s family advisor.

Bartlett said the difficult decision will be narrowing down “the 30 or so schools that have already shown interest.”

Interesting article. The RIT coach expected Wilkie to leave, but the goalie caught him off guard and did not seem happy about it. RIT or the coach has a rule that if you enter the portal, you can't change your mind. 

The portal will be brutal for lower-tier programs and even teams like Mankato and others like them. If they get lucky with a recruit that blossoms unexpectedly, that player will start checking his options for a better team. Small schools like RIT or Northern Michigan could become intermediate feeder programs between the USHL and the top programs.

Good players from small schools will look to improve their status while players who ride the bench for the big schools will go in the other direction. Either way, the small school loses. This two-way turnstile might even present challenges for teams suffering through a year or two of losing. 

It makes one wonder what a player like Shayne Gostisbehere would have done if he had that option. 

ReplyQuote
Delafield Gopher
(@delafield-gopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 64

@streakygopher Agreed.....just like Gopher hoops.

ReplyQuote
Buster
(@buster)
Rep Pts: 3

@streakygopher 

It's probably fair to say the biggest losers have been/will continue to be the bottom-rung programs.

But the biggest winners really seem to be those midtier programs. Just as a quick example, it's hard to imagine Tech having the year they did last season without the portal. St Thomas has leveraged portal players to go from the basement to contenders in the CCHA. In the Big10 a downtrodden MSU was able to rebuild largely on the backs of portal players. WMU, UNO, and I'm sure a number of programs out east that I'm not as familiar with.

You look at UND, who have been very active, and it's hard to say they are better off for it (1 NCAA win in what, the last 6 years?)

Meanwhile, one of MN's biggest issues the past few years (4th line) can be directly traced to losses to the portal. Imagine if guys like Perbix and Sorenson had bought in as 4th line guys and stuck around last season, optioned their covid year for this season.

The common narrative is that the bluebloods are just poaching all the best players from smaller programs, but if you start looking at the the actual players and where they actually go, it's those on-the-cusp teams that are benefiting the most. 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2109

Buster stole my lines! The Gophers will probably never have a good 4th liner like Jon Waible again. Guys like that will transfer to a lower level school and get better roles. 

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

I think the whole thing is too new to draw any definitive conclusions, At this point though I'm unconvinced the bluebloods will succeed at the expense of others anymore than they already did.

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 388

Posted by: @streakygopher

Begley and Rud come to mind. 

I would rather have Carl Fish back in 5th year as the 7th D than either of them.   

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5506

It isn’t always players “not buying in.”  Sometimes they’re quite literally pushed aside. Jonny Sorensen being the example that immediately comes to mind. 

But your point overall stands. There are definitely going to be guys that don’t want fourth line minutes and will look for greener pastures. Maybe this is actually why Bob plays the fourth line so much? 😂 

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @norm

Buster stole my lines! The Gophers will probably never have a good 4th liner like Jon Waible again. Guys like that will transfer to a lower level school and get better roles. 

And I keep saying this:  why does Bob continuously play them regular shifts then?  Look at the BU game.  We stuck the 4th line out there, and BU put Lane Hutson out on defense.  Did they do this because they feared our offense from our 4th line?  lol....  instead, this put an elite college hockey player on the ice with our 4th line, not elite college hockey players.  Hutson spun Mittelstadt around like a top and created a BU goal.  

At least Bob did not play the 4th line outside of Clark the entire 3rd period.

Our opponents do not regularly play 4th lines and get their top players out against our 4th line. This gives them the play advantage.

YOu only really need 3 lines plus a center and a forward.  Rotate the 4th line in with one of your top 6 from time to time, here and there to cover unexpected ice problems like penalties and injuries.  If I remember the Fleming/Waibel 4th line, they mostly had Vanek as a winger.  

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

I’m with you. It’s head scratching to me in a one and done scenario.

Pino’s brutal turnover led to Q’s first goal 2 years ago. 

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 236

I think you should definitely shorten the bench come tournament time with all the breaks but playing the 4th line during the regular season at least gave Clark a whole season of center experience, especially if he’s going to be the 3rd line center next year.  

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

I think you should definitely shorten the bench come tournament time with all the breaks but playing the 4th line during the regular season at least gave Clark a whole season of center experience, especially if he’s going to be the 3rd line center next year.  

As you saw in the last game, there are a lot of ways to get a forward like Jimmy Clark on the ice without putting him on a 4th line that cannot generate offense.

ReplyQuote

Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @mlhouse

As you saw in the last game, there are a lot of ways to get a forward like Jimmy Clark on the ice without putting him on a 4th line that cannot generate offense.

Mainly at LW not center though. Bob wouldn’t shift him up in place of Moore, Huglen or Nelson. Clark already came in earlier than they planned and needs to develop, more center time the better imo. Plus otherwise it would have just been Huglen and Moore with any real center experience heading into this up coming year and it’s not crazy for a first rounder or a married senior to sign and move on either. 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1044
Post on old board: 8405

I would rather have Carl Fish back in 5th year as the 7th D than either of them.   

So don't build them up and send them on there way?  

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

The 4th line is needed during the Big Ten games because there's only one timeout per period and the intermissions are shorter. Tourney is a different story.

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

Posted by: @norm

The 4th line is needed during the Big Ten games because there's only one timeout per period and the intermissions are shorter. Tourney is a different story.

The 4th line is meaningful during the regular season for a number of reasons.  The further you get into the playoffs, the less they should be used, most of the time.  I think there can be value in getting guys experience for the future who you know are going to be important for the program's success, but when you are throwing out the Pino's of the world to me that's pretty useless in a must win.  Having said that, I really don't think Bob putting the 4th line out is why we lost...We had one line playing at an elite level + Huglen.  The rest of the offense has been pretty mediocre since the PSU playoff series.

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7869

I think part of the reason the 4th line gets thrown out there in the playoffs is because during the regular season, they’re usually the line that gets them back on track when the 3 “skill lines” are turning pucks over and not getting pucks behind D. In hindsight it looks bad cause they got scored on but as someone else said that wasn’t our problem, or the reason we lost at least.

I think Clark was one of our best faceoff guys too.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1230

Nothing official, but a lot of momentum for Wood:

https://twitter.com/JamesMurrayECH/status/1774978973794971989?t=i9TU0JSnQzyigkMf55ah7w&s=19

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Right about now is when they announce they’re going somewhere else. 😆 

ReplyQuote

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

Posted by: @bert

Yes. Welcome to Division 1 athletics. It’s not show friends it’s show business. There’s a reason those two sat most of the second half of the season. Don’t even offer Fish the 5th year. Fish isn’t a regular at this level. Constantly exposed.

Despite the annoyance that was the forward group this season, the defense was seriously hindered all year. Some of that could’ve been mitigated in the portal last summer and wasn’t. We have free agency now. Let’s embrace it.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @wilson34

Yes. Welcome to Division 1 athletics. It’s not show friends it’s show business. There’s a reason those two sat most of the second half of the season. Don’t even offer Fish the 5th year. Fish isn’t a regular at this level. Constantly exposed.

Despite the annoyance that was the forward group this season, the defense was seriously hindered all year. Some of that could’ve been mitigated in the portal last summer and wasn’t. We have free agency now. Let’s embrace it.

I respectfully disagree. Take a hard line like this and you’ll start getting beat on the recruiting trail eventually. Kids like coming to Bob because he’ll give you a shot. 

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 535

Posted by: @bluebandit24

Nothing official, but a lot of momentum for Wood:

https://twitter.com/JamesMurrayECH/status/1774978973794971989?t=i9TU0JSnQzyigkMf55ah7w&s=19

I need some positive news, c’mon Bob.  Any idea when we will hear because I can’t keep checking my phone every 5 minutes?

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

Posted by: @karlsson

I respectfully disagree. Take a hard line like this and you’ll start getting beat on the recruiting trail eventually. Kids like coming to Bob because he’ll give you a shot. 

How would this hurt you on the recruiting trail? Fish, Rud, and Begley are not Gopher caliber players. Neither is Pino. With the transfer portal there are opportunities to improve your roster. I would assume the best players would want to be on the best team. 

Knies and Cooley consistently talked about how nice it was to practice against Faber, Lacombe, and Johnson.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2517

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

How would this hurt you on the recruiting trail? Fish, Rud, and Begley are not Gopher caliber players. Neither is Pino. With the transfer portal there are opportunities to improve your roster. I would assume the best players would want to be on the best team. 

Knies and Cooley consistently talked about how nice it was to practice against Faber, Lacombe, and Johnson.

agree with this fully. If Bob wasn’t telling them that this was the deal coming in, then that’s silly of him. There is no reason Rud or Begley should be rostered unless it’s as a non scholly, practice player. They can then decide if that’s what they want (to my understanding, there’s no limit to rostered players, but is a scholarship limit). That isn’t running someone off, that’s just letting them decide what they want to do 

The high end kids aren’t going to care about this one bit as long as you’re honest when you’re signing the players. And I would favor Bob has been real honest all the way

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1044
Post on old board: 8405

I would rather have taken my lumps with Rub or Begley get them the experience than Fish out there knowing he will be done after this season.   

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level

The 7th and 8th defensemen are getting little to no scholarship allotment and would be replaced by other similar caliber players. They didn’t even play the end of the year. Same with the 13/14th forwards. Only one I think should be gone is Pino because he’s probably getting more scholarship than the others and probably why Bob played him so much. 

ReplyQuote

stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

I would rather have taken my lumps with Rub or Begley get them the experience than Fish out there knowing he will be done after this season.   

Seems to me they decided to take one last swing with the core group and probably figured fish was a better option than the young guys with what they saw at the start of the season.  I thought it was the wrong move at the start of the year, but they managed to be one bad period from getting back to the FF in St. Paul which history would say is more than favorable for us in that situation.  I think going forward there has to be a move towards growing the younger players now and letting the 5th year D's go.  Reset and start the build process again.  The portal may help us accelerate the process, but this team is not 1 year away anymore.   

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

There haven't been many years where there wasn't 1 or 2 guys on a roster with remaining eligibility that were considered expendable. I'm all for replacing that type of player but the odds that every roster spot will be filled with "Gopher caliber talent" isn't all the realistic imho. 

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

Seems to me they decided to take one last swing with the core group and probably figured fish was a better option than the young guys with what they saw at the start of the season.  I thought it was the wrong move at the start of the year, but they managed to be one bad period from getting back to the FF in St. Paul which history would say is more than favorable for us in that situation.  I think going forward there has to be a move towards growing the younger players now and letting the 5th year D's go.  Reset and start the build process again.  The portal may help us accelerate the process, but this team is not 1 year away anymore.   

the joy of the portal is yes it certainly is unless you think the only way now is to have a (or multiple) top 5 draft pick on the team. This team will be veteran laden again, more on the backend now. Zero reason they can’t find some additional scoring and/or a goalie for next year to go with Airey. Missing out on eiserman next year hurts, but I think the negativity on next years outlook is overstated

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 877
Post on old board: 5335

From reading various people who have a lot more inside info that I do I do think the longer we don't have any news on Snuggy signing with STL, the higher the chance is he comes back next year.  Sounds like his dad really wants him to come back.  

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

There haven't been many years where there wasn't 1 or 2 guys on a roster with remaining eligibility that were considered expendable. I'm all for replacing that type of player but the odds that every roster spot will be filled with "Gopher caliber talent" isn't all the realistic imho. 

historical outlooks aren’t super helpful now though in the portal era. There’s already 225 guys in the portal. Wilkie, Wood, Fontaine, and Tellier all would fit being the talent level people are looking at just at first glance. We will have top 9 time to offer as well as possible PP time. 

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2147
Post on old board: 15139

I’d be happy to have him back, especially with Moore having gained some experience and both will have an extra year in the weight room. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @gopherguy05

From reading various people who have a lot more inside info that I do I do think the longer we don't have any news on Snuggy signing with STL, the higher the chance is he comes back next year.  Sounds like his dad really wants him to come back.  

what’s the reason on the comments on his dad? Would envision if so that’s going to be a very difficult thing for him to say no to

ReplyQuote

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

Are we in the business of winning National Championships or worrying about feelings? Big time programs with big time coaches go heavy in the portal in football and basketball every year. Just ask Ryan Day. Players will always want to go there. Gopher hockey is no different.

Even if we do land Wood and get Snuggy to return, will a RIT’s Wilkie, or a Tech’s Mosley, or a Fairbanks Israels make the team better than say Connor Kurth? Are they better with Airey and a portal add or Airey and Barto? That’s the questions Bob should be asking looking at the roster.

ReplyQuote
wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 245

Carl's Mom told me a few weeks back that Motzko was not going to bring Carl back and that he would most likely go into the portal.

Things may have changed. Carl has gotten a lot better throughout the year and I would like to see him return if it makes sense with the commits, etc..

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Fish, Rud, and Begley are not Gopher caliber players. Neither is Pino. 

I don't think Bob agrees with you on that last one.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Dcboe, trixR4kids, Boats and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 768

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11260
Post on old board: 21741

https://twitter.com/gopherhockey/status/1775225348462186605?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1851

That’s awesome! Hopefully he heals up nice for next year and pots 40. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote

Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 768

If he Cooley's us, I am going to throw up

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1865
Post on old board: 8686

Cooley has jaded me... I'm cautiously optimistic.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @boats

If he Cooley's us, I am going to throw up

Of course we were all stung by Cooley (I hold no ill will though), but with the familial connections (and rumored push from dad to return) plus presumably some NIL cash, more difficult to see with Snuggy. *Knocks on wood

Boats reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Can’t see any way Snuggy would betray us with his dad being who he is

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1851

I also think this adds some clarity. I have a hard time seeing Armstrong push this given he’s made his decision. 

Plus developmentally he really would benefit from another year. 

https://twitter.com/stlouisblues/status/1775227932425818181?s=46&t=XUVGW7l9-e4aWvIPbf1tXw

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 407

Wood-Moore-Snuggerud would be a nice top line. 

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

Did Snuggerud have a nagging injury the last month or so?

Curious as to why his production dropped so much.

ReplyQuote

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

I hope this is true.  It might center on the fact that the Blues probably do not have any interest in signing him for this season because it is unlikely that they make the playoffs and would burn a year on his rookie deal.  They could sign him in the offseason and start his contract in 2024-25 season.  So I am hopeful that this announcement is not premature.

But, perhaps Jimmy and Dave analyzed it and feel that he could develop better at the U than bouncing in the Blues system.  Perhaps that is true but I also think the evidence suggests that this analysis isn't necessarily true.  If you polled most true observers how many of them would see real growth out of Jimmy Snuggerud this past season?  

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 27