MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

Posted by: @bluebandit24

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @thenameonthefront

Landing Wood instantly jumps us into legit contender status for next year imo, provided we don't have unreasonable pro/portal losses. I think the d corps could be special and I'm already dreaming of the Moore/Wood top line combo.

The next two years of defense recruits look very solid.  

I like Bob's recruiting style. He is now adding older, bigger guys to mesh with the high end young guys. 

But according to certain people not enough #1 draft choices, and Cooley and Eiserman both bailed because they see the program in shambles...

Would have no idea whom you're referring to...

Despite the wild calls for Motzko's job, feel the program is as healthy as it has been for a long time. Things can change fast, but have full confidence in this staff.

In my opinion, Gopher Hockey is in very good hands.

My main criticism is the way they play the 4th line. Tie game 3-3 late in the 2nd, and you’re one whistle away from a TV timeout. They proceed to put the 4th line out with Fish. Of course, BC scores on a weak goal given up by Close. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

All in all, I think Bob is a very good coach. And calling for his head is absurd.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1117

@mikeeruzione11 No disagreement there. Certainly areas of criticism. Last year's title game will linger until when/if Motzko wins the big one.

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1224

But according to certain people not enough #1 draft choices, and Cooley and Eiserman both bailed because they see the program in shambles...

Taking a wild ass guess here and assuming youre referring to a certain g-hole poster who got kicked off here last summer...

To that, I say who gives a rat's ass what Bonin21 thinks?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2639
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

Didn’t realize Matthew Wood’s Dad, Jamie, was an assistant coach for the Gophers women team for a couple of years. 

Wow, don’t recall that at all. 2008-09 and 2009-10.

https://gophersports.com/news/2008/6/4/wood_named_assistant_coach_for_the_minnesota_women_s_hockey_team

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12654
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Goodbye Snuggy?

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1774584051963240723

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2263

Goodbye Snuggy?

this would be impressively dumb from the blues. they aren't making the playoffs and burns an entire year. so if so, would envision that means snuggy is pressing to get signed and may explain some of what we saw of him since about February. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 163

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @thenameonthefront

Landing Wood instantly jumps us into legit contender status for next year imo, provided we don't have unreasonable pro/portal losses. I think the d corps could be special and I'm already dreaming of the Moore/Wood top line combo.

The next two years of defense recruits look very solid.  

I like Bob's recruiting style. He is now adding older, bigger guys to mesh with the high end young guys. 

Would have no idea whom you're referring to...

Despite the wild calls for Motzko's job, feel the program is as healthy as it has been for a long time. Things can change fast, but have full confidence in this staff.

These “calls” are “diculous"

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7492

Wood would essentially replace all of Snuggies scoring by himself 

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

Goodbye Snuggy?

*shruggy*

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

Posted by: @any-road

The Matthew Wood news shows that Motzko and company never have a day off. Us fans just have to twiddle our thumbs until the new season starts. Meanwhile Bob gets right to work the next day after the season ends. 

Think it’s safe to assume that some back channeling has gone on well before this Matthew Wood news today. These agents, I mean “advisors” are shopping their players to other caching staffs well in advance before the portal opens. A player of Wood’s stature knows exactly where he’s going before officially jointing the portal.

Even if they do land Wood, I would still make another splash up front. If it pushes a current player down the depth chart or out the door then so be it. Make a splash on defense too. Defense needs to take a big step next year.

Think Bobs feelings on the portal changed more after seeing what Michigan State did in the portal this year.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Any chance we go after a high-end goalie in the portal?  I think Airey will be good but he will be just a sophomore.

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 846
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @idontknow

Any chance we go after a high-end goalie in the portal?  I think Airey will be good but he will be just a sophomore.

You got to decide if you want to risk losing him though cuz if you bring in a high-end goalie and he basically sits the bench again and sees two or three games of action there's no way hes sticking around for his junior and senior years. 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2007

Posted by: @gopherpete

What does it mean when a team is the favorite, considering he isn't even in the portal yet? Does that just mean that Wood likes the teams that were mentioned, or does it mean that he has already had talks with the teams mentioned?

It is a good question. I don't know for sure so won't have much to add. Bringing in Wood, however, would be massive. Imagine he heads right to top line with Moore centering him.

What am I missing on the Wood excitement? (All I know about him is what I see on Elite Prospects) He had 28 points this year which would have put him 6th on this year's team. Nice but not earth shattering.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2263

Posted by: @norm

What does it mean when a team is the favorite, considering he isn't even in the portal yet? Does that just mean that Wood likes the teams that were mentioned, or does it mean that he has already had talks with the teams mentioned?

It is a good question. I don't know for sure so won't have much to add. Bringing in Wood, however, would be massive. Imagine he heads right to top line with Moore centering him.

What am I missing on the Wood excitement? (All I know about him is what I see on Elite Prospects) He had 28 points this year which would have put him 6th on this year's team. Nice but not earth shattering.

he’s a first rounder and doing that on a bad UConn team. He’s also consistently scored on canadas national teams. He’d be a great pickup

ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

I’ll never forget an article in the Rink Live when Jess interviewed Snuggerud in August of 2022. Jimmy mentioned how much he wanted to win a National Championship, how much his Dad remembered the 1989 loss, and how much that drove him to try and win it all. There was so much optimism in the article. How different it all feels a year and a half later. I really hope he comes back for many reasons. Not least of which is I’d hate for the last two months to be how the fan base remembers him. Because he is a great player and overall has been part of some incredible moments in the maroon and gold. But my pie in the sky hope is he comes back one more year and lights it up. Don’t end it like this. 

gopherfun83, Norm, Any Road and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @wilson34

Posted by: @any-road

The Matthew Wood news shows that Motzko and company never have a day off. Us fans just have to twiddle our thumbs until the new season starts. Meanwhile Bob gets right to work the next day after the season ends. 

Think it’s safe to assume that some back channeling has gone on well before this Matthew Wood news today. These agents, I mean “advisors” are shopping their players to other caching staffs well in advance before the portal opens. A player of Wood’s stature knows exactly where he’s going before officially jointing the portal.

Even if they do land Wood, I would still make another splash up front. If it pushes a current player down the depth chart or out the door then so be it. Make a splash on defense too. Defense needs to take a big step next year.

Think Bobs feelings on the portal changed more after seeing what Michigan State did in the portal this year.

Defense will naturally take a big step with a lot of guys returning. Hope Koster stays and hope Chesley’s agent doesn’t wanna make a quick buck. He’s not ready.

ReplyQuote
The Name On The Front
(@thenameonthefront)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 102

Posted by: @norm

I was in the same boat this morning when the news broke, a quick EP look seemed he was a good player but didn't get the hubub about him.

But, he was the youngest player in college hockey last season when he led UCONN in scoring and the Preds took him 15 in the last draft. Led them in scoring again this year and the next closest guy had only 22 points--UCONN was not good.

Watching some of his clips, he has really impressive hands and playmaking for a guy his size. Definitely not your typical "power forward". His shot is a cannon too. I wouldn't be surprised if now his third year in a college strength program and getting him playing with much better players really launches him as a player. 

ReplyQuote
Gophers_inGF
(@gophers_ingf)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 56

Seeing he followed jackson blake I'm not liking where this is going 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Posted by: @gopher6

So who will be captain next season?

Probably Nevers (in J. Nelson fashion) Will be interesting if tBob asks Koster to return) I’m pretty sure he extends the opportunity to Nevers. I believe 24-25 is the last year for 5th year covid eligibility. They’ll be talented (as usual) no doubt tBob is a great recruiter and it being the U sells itself. But as the years roll on, not converting with the team they had in 22-23 will linger…

Koster needs to move on.  

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

Posted by: @gopher6

So who will be captain next season?

Kurth!!!

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 286

Quote from Joe Smith at theathletic in reference to Stramel and other draft picks at WI. He also mentions the Wild and Motzko having a great relationship and hints we could be in the mix if Stramel hits the portal. 

“It’s fairly obvious Charlie is one of many higher profile, younger players that probably aren’t thrilled with their development,” a league source said.

Hastings may have a little growing pains as he tries to blend his successes at Mankato with his ability to now get the blue chippers.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

Quote from Joe Smith at theathletic in reference to Stramel and other draft picks at WI. He also mentions the Wild and Motzko having a great relationship and hints we could be in the mix if Stramel hits the portal. 

“It’s fairly obvious Charlie is one of many higher profile, younger players that probably aren’t thrilled with their development,” a league source said.

Hastings may have a little growing pains as he tries to blend his successes at Mankato with his ability to now get the blue chippers.

Russo talked about this on Beyond The Pond this weekend. He named off quite a few drafted players who have either left UW or have struggled under Hastings this year. Stramel and Whitelaw were especially pointed out. Doesn't sound like Russo is a fan of Hastings.  It is worth a listen and can be found on the KFAN website.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Russo talked about this on Beyond The Pond this weekend. He named off quite a few drafted players who have either left UW or have struggled under Hastings this year. Stramel and Whitelaw were especially pointed out. Doesn't sound like Russo is a fan of Hastings.  It is worth a listen and can be found on the KFAN website.

It's not like I have followed Stramel's career much.  But looking at the Elite Prospects page he absolutely lit it up in Bantam AA for Rosemount.  After that he hasn't exactly put up huge numbers at any level.  He has played at the highest levels since that bantam AA year, but he has been under a point per game player at Rosemount HS, USNDT 17, USNDT 18, only 12 points at UW freshman season (pre-Hastings) and now just 8 points in his sophomore season.

Seems he peaked in a big way during Bantam AA and he's been riding that wave ever since.  Did he hit puberty early and dominate until others caught up?  Or did he have a late growth spurt, that he is still growing into?  He is 6'3" and 223 lbs.

Appears to be a big draft bust for now.  And I wonder if Russo puts too much on Hastings for Stramel taking a step back since he expected more from the first round pick?

All that said, it doesn't mean his hockey career is over.  He has time, but he isn't on the trajectory of Cooley or some other first rounders.  He needs to find that edge he had back in Bantams and make these last two years of college pay off.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7322
Post on old board: 10120

Waking up and realizing there is no more Gopher hockey is rather depressing.  😥

ReplyQuote
NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 140

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I’ll never forget an article in the Rink Live when Jess interviewed Snuggerud in August of 2022. Jimmy mentioned how much he wanted to win a National Championship, how much his Dad remembered the 1989 loss, and how much that drove him to try and win it all. There was so much optimism in the article. How different it all feels a year and a half later. I really hope he comes back for many reasons. Not least of which is I’d hate for the last two months to be how the fan base remembers him. Because he is a great player and overall has been part of some incredible moments in the maroon and gold. But my pie in the sky hope is he comes back one more year and lights it up. Don’t end it like this. 

I just don’t want him to pull what Cooley did. Don’t change your mind so late there are no options to really replace him. 
I know Logan is a kid, I don’t think badly of him- just think he announced his return too soon, got fomo when fantilli signed. Such a blow for the team late in summer 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
ndgopher
(@ndgopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 71

Always hate to see the Gopher Hockey season come to an end, one of the bright spots in a long winter here in western ND.   Thankful for the program we have to follow and the ability to see nearly all the games on television, even if that means streaming several of them this past season.   Already looking forward to getting a peak at next years schedule as it develops hoping to plan a trip to either Michigan State or Penn State.  Ann Arbor and Notre Dame in the past few years, highly recommend.  

Thank you to the group that runs this board also a class act and very well run.  See you all next season, Go Gophers!

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7322
Post on old board: 10120

It was a nice surprise to flip the page on the Gopher sports calendar today and have the hockey team up for April.  A pic of last years big ten season champions. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7120
Post on old board: 18942

Regarding the opinion that Motzko has changed his mind on the portal, I don't recall him ever saying we wouldn't use it.

If last year is a measuring stick I think if Cooley announced he was leaving the 1st week of April that Bob would have gone to it for a higher end replacement still available at the time.

ReplyQuote

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2007

Posted by: @gophers_ingf

Maybe he just wanted to see Blake launch himself headfirst into the boards while attempting a cheap shot.

rodentsrulejr, Slap Shot, trixR4kids and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

So he is now officially in the portal. Not to get everyone super excited prematurely, but he's actually one of the few that have entered with the "Do Not Contact" tag on the portal site. Which I'm speculating that he has his spot narrowed down to a few schools or the one school.

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

Posted by: @northerngopher218

So he is now officially in the portal. Not to get everyone super excited prematurely, but he's actually one of the few that have entered with the "Do Not Contact" tag on the portal site. Which I'm speculating that he has his spot narrowed down to a few schools or the one school.

Where is this site?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I just wish the portal process would wait until after the Frozen Four. I know a lot of the stuff happens behind closed doors in the weeks before the opening of the portal, but I wish the main focus would be the tourney and then let all heck break loose after that. Now get off my lawn. 

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 399

Posted by: @gophers_ingf

I wouldn't even expect Blake to be playing for UND next year, I was assuming he'd go pro. 

ReplyQuote
ndgopher
(@ndgopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 71

@cowgirl Very depressing, appreciate this form so much!

ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @bert

Where is this site?

https://gopherpucklive.com/transfer-portal/

So I have access through a NCAA school. It isn't supposed to be a public site. It is just intended for coaches and it also has contact information so that why the don't want it public.  Which that's why we create the gpl page to get access to the public what names have entered.

Dcboe reacted
ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Wood being “Do not contact” and every insider saying Minnesota is the favorite certainly are two good signs

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Close the deal Bob. Get him. 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

Where is this site?

So I have access through a NCAA school. It isn't supposed to be a public site. It is just intended for coaches and it also has contact information so that why the don't want it public.  Which that's why we create the gpl page to get access to the public what names have entered.

I was asking about the one showing do not contact.  I am well aware of the GPL one.  Thanks

ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

Where is this site?

I was asking about the one showing do not contact.  I am well aware of the GPL one.  Thanks

Yes it is a password protected site that you need to get an account from the NCAA with a school email basically proving your a coach or in the athletic department. That why you can't see that end of it. That's why I take the names off of there and post them on our GPL page.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Thanks for mentioning this, just listened. Russo definitely did his homework. Hard to disagree with anything he said. Hastings is gonna burn some bridges. I hadn't realized Whitelaw was the 13th forward? That is insane.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Whitelaw would look good in Maroon and Gold.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

No thank you... Both Vegoe and myself heard some things about him. Would really prefer to avoid him. I will not be going in to detail.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1313

Thanks for mentioning this, just listened. Russo definitely did his homework. Hard to disagree with anything he said. Hastings is gonna burn some bridges. I hadn't realized Whitelaw was the 13th forward? That is insane.

There is a difference on is Hastings is a good coach vs is Hastings is good for developing NHL prospects. The two things don't both have to be true.

I kind of expected this at UW where there was a decent track record of players going there to continue their development instead of going to help build a successful program. 

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4711
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @jupiter

I will not be going in to detail.

Yikes.  Knowing the two of you, and with that comment, add me to the "thanks, but no" category.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 655

No thank you... Both Vegoe and myself heard some things about him. Would really prefer to avoid him. I will not be going in to detail.

I know you said no detail, but if you can say, is it off or on ice related? 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status/1774837980206682481

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I retract my statement!

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

@frozen4champs 

would love to see Jaxon find a good home in the NHL.  He was fun to watch these last 6-8 weeks.  Have to imagine he'll get a decent opportunity to develop given his size.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

There is a difference on is Hastings is a good coach vs is Hastings is good for developing NHL prospects. The two things don't both have to be true.

I kind of expected this at UW where there was a decent track record of players going there to continue their development instead of going to help build a successful program. 

I definitely agree with you. I also tend to think you need 3 to 5 (pick an arbitrary number) of high end players to win a National Championship. Will be interesting to follow.

ReplyQuote

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1313

Bartlett is certainly a familiar person to Gopher Hockey -- Logan Cooley and Brock Faber.

https://pickinsplinters.com/2024/04/01/wilkie-scarfone-leaving-rit-through-college-hockeys-transfer-portal/

“We thought maybe an NHL deal would be there so, rightly or wrongly, we’ll use a different platform to up his credibility,” said Steve Bartlett, Wilkie’s family advisor.

Bartlett said the difficult decision will be narrowing down “the 30 or so schools that have already shown interest.”

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 16