https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1795485269820424464

Official release. Very very weak non con schedule

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7423
Post on old board: 18942

I will say I don't hate playing Air Force as at least *it's someone different, and UMASS is legit should they meet. *Same with Alaska. The remainder is very blah.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4061
Post on old board: 12555

The only games worth getting excited about are the ones in Vegas, if you can travel.  I'd be happily surprised if those will be televised.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2635
Post on old board: 15478

The Vegas games are interesting. The rest, not so much. UMD and Bemidji play booooring hockey. St. Thomas is a portal school. No thanks.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 78

@slap-shot 

I think Alaska lost a ton to the portal. I think they regress.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@boats 

Is 10-0 in play?

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 333

In my 35 years of watching Gopher Hockey, this has to be in the top 3 worst non-conference schedules ever.  I am going to Vegas, more for the experience than anything, but there is absolutely nothing of interest in this schedule.  

ReplyQuote

Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 725

Posted by: @jankwi01

@boats 

Is 10-0 in play?

Always possible I suppose. I see dropping one of the games against Duluth and/or BSU. And a stinker OT game against Alaska or the Tommies. But anything less than 10-2/9-2-1 would be a disappointment in my eyes. Unless one of the teams up there really surprises me (excluding UMass). 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7589

Potential for a lot of W’s in that schedule

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2360

i will already be in the Duluth the weekend they play there. That's about the only positive I can come up with from this non con slate. otherwise overall just feels pretty meh

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

It is to bad we couldn't get St.Cloud or Mankato on that schedule. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2360

couldn't disagree more. and we do have the exhibition against Cloud. there's already 3 MN schools. We need to also play other teams as it's incredibly important in your PWR (for comparisons and your records against like opponents) to have diverse cross over matches. we already have the CCHA (BSU) and NCHC (UMD). We don't need more. 

Rau4SkiUMah, BlueBandit24, Amonte_10 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid 

I guess I rather do that then play airforce and Alaska.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1400
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @boats

@boats 

Is 10-0 in play?

UMD has Dominic James back from a season long injury as a 5th year player & Captain along with the Plante bros & Jason Shaugabay among a large freshmen class. They’ll be young, but certainly improved from last year. 

Always possible I suppose. I see dropping one of the games against Duluth and/or BSU. And a stinker OT game against Alaska or the Tommies. But anything less than 10-2/9-2-1 would be a disappointment in my eyes. Unless one of the teams up there really surprises me (excluding UMass). 

ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @bearpaw28

@boats 

Is 10-0 in play?

UMD has Dominic James back from a season long injury as a 5th year player & Captain along with the Plante bros & Jason Shaugabay among a large freshmen class. They’ll be young, but certainly improved from last year. 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7487
Post on old board: 10120

If we win all of these games everyone will be thrilled and happy to have the points for pairwise.  If we had a slate against more challenging noncon teams everyone would still be bitching about something.  There seems to be a lack of happiness here no matter what the schedule is.  

I guess as a die hard Gopher Hockey fan I’ll just be satisfied to be watching my team.  No matter whom we play.  Oh and btw look at that - a bunch of easy road trips on the schedule!  If you’re still going to complain and won’t even bother to make at least one……well, lots I could say here, but I won’t.    

#saucytonight

Rau4SkiUMah, mnrouser, Steve MN and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12756
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

@cowgirl But some want to play all of the Minnesota schools and all of the old WCHA teams and all of Hockey East teams and have the  Northstar Cup each year. 😉 I think that is tough to do with only 12 non conference games.. 😎

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I’d just like a little variety to the schedule and if we’re going to keep booking the same non conference teams each year we don’t get that.  

Nobody wants to play a bunch of cupcakes, like PSU does every year.  How about one home and one road series against MN/UND teams and then the rest against teams from the east, Michigan or Colorado that are competitive?

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 725

@boats 

Is 10-0 in play?

Yep, and they always play us tough. Which is why I put losing one against them as not surprising. 

I think we will be heading to one of the Duluth games and the BSU game. I am new to the traveling to games scene, so this would be my first time at both those rinks. Should be fun!

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1032
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @bertogliat

I’d just like a little variety to the schedule and if we’re going to keep booking the same non conference teams each year we don’t get that.  

Nobody wants to play a bunch of cupcakes, like PSU does every year.  How about one home and one road series against MN/UND teams and then the rest against teams from the east, Michigan or Colorado that are competitive?

Agree.   I would like to see a series with CC or DU each year.   Easy flights for the fans of teams.    

Can we somehow get a trip to Maine before they revamp their rink?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4863
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @bert

Posted by: @bertogliat

Agree.   I would like to see a series with CC or DU each year.   Easy flights for the fans of teams.    

Can we somehow get a trip to Maine before they revamp their rink?

Toss in Air Force as well, or ASU.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't care about any Atlantic Hockey teams other than Air Force.

From the ECAC I'd like to see Harvard, QU and Cornell on a short list.  And any Hockey East team other than Merrimack would be great to see.

From the NCHC I'd like more CC and DU and occasionally Miami, Western or Omaha.

From the CCHA Lake State, Tech, and Northern interest me.  The rest not so much.  Maybe Augustana once or twice to help the program.

But overall have a mix of interesting teams that will be competitive (at least the best you can do when you have to make the plans).

Steve MN and HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4800
Post on old board: 28736

Office Space

Jankwi01 and Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

If we win all of these games everyone will be thrilled and happy to have the points for pairwise.  If we had a slate against more challenging noncon teams everyone would still be bitching about something.  There seems to be a lack of happiness here no matter what the schedule is.  

I guess as a die hard Gopher Hockey fan I’ll just be satisfied to be watching my team.  No matter whom we play.  Oh and btw look at that - a bunch of easy road trips on the schedule!  If you’re still going to complain and won’t even bother to make at least one……well, lots I could say here, but I won’t.    

#saucytonight

So because I am unable to make a road trip for various reasons (might be able to do Vegas though I will be in LA that weekend) I don't have a right to complain about the NC schedule?  I mean I am not complaining mind you just asking since that seems to be what you are saying.

I think variety is better than wasting time playing the same teams every year.  If that means Air Force and Alaska instead of UMDuh or The Whioux so much the better.  The Pairwise works itself out if that is all people are going to care about that is on them.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I think variety is better than wasting time playing the same teams every year. 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I will still happily watch every game I can (time difference be damned), but I can also wish at the same time to see a wider variety of opponents once in awhile. 🙂 

HandyNotDan and Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@handyman 

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to play North Dakota every year. That's one of the great rivalries in the sport.

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2296
Post on old board: 6782

I guess I am in the minority here as well that I really like having some variety in the non-conference scheduling rather than just filling it with locals each season.  In the end the U will schedule what makes sense financially for both home and away games.  I don't think we need two series with in state teams, let's branch out a bit.  I have no doubt that both the U and UND want to play most years than not but it doesn't need to be every darn year.  

I would love to see more East coast teams on the schedule, but money spent on travel will be the issue.  I would imagine one plane ride to Maine would cost the same as two bus rides here in the Midwest.  Don't get me wrong, with the resurgence of Maine recently I would LOVE to see them on the schedule.  

As far as the teeth gnashing for Pairwise implications of a non-conference schedule...win the games you're supposed to and be a top three team in the B1G and I think the Gophers would have themselves in the tournament.  Maybe I'm looking at things too simplistically though.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

Can Mathew Wood play Center? Seems to be differing articles on the internet. Most of his highlights seem to be playing left wing.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

@jankwi01 

From what I know he played both at UConn and is capable of playing all 3 forward positions at an elite level. Excited to see how he’s used this season.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7487
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @cowgirl

#saucytonight

So because I am unable to make a road trip for various reasons (might be able to do Vegas though I will be in LA that weekend) I don't have a right to complain about the NC schedule?  I mean I am not complaining mind you just asking since that seems to be what you are saying.

I think variety is better than wasting time playing the same teams every year.  If that means Air Force and Alaska instead of UMDuh or The Whioux so much the better.  The Pairwise works itself out if that is all people are going to care about that is on them.

My comments were not necessarily related.  
1) Yeah you can hate the noncon schedule.  It will never be perfect year to year and I bet the other end of the wishlist may not necessarily want us on the schedule (I mean, who wants to put the almighty maroon and gold in the schedule and risk losing pairwise points?!)  We are just collectively never happy no matter who is/isn’ on the schedule. I’d be willing to bet travel costs play more of a factor than they may have in the past, which of course leads to scheduling more geographically close teams - which we have a plethora of - for better or for worse. 

b) I know there is still a lot of angst over losing the old wcha.  Well, here’s a bunch of easy road trips.   If you’re (and by you’re I’m not singling anyone out in particular…) still going to complain, well I can’t help ya.   If you’re a die hard fan you’ll find a way to make the lemonade out of the lemons.

I’ll bring the vodka  😉

bearpaw28 and SkiUMahLaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

@jankwi01 

From what I know he played both at UConn and is capable of playing all 3 forward positions at an elite level. Excited to see how he’s used this season.

I think I read somewhere that his face off win % is quite low.  I have no idea how well he plays the center position otherwise.

As a 1st round draft pick and someone who I presume has near term NHL aspirations, I doubt he entered the portal to switch teams to play a new position.  I'm sure he did his homework and found a team that will let him play his natural position.  Unless of course he expects to be a center in the NHL, my guess is he will play left wing for the Gophers.

Edit: He was 37 of 99 for Faceoffs last year.  So 37% isn't great.   There was a 14 games stretch in the middle of the season where he didn't take a face off.  Also the last 5 games of the year... no faceoffs.  So either he was filling in for an injury a center or they tested him at center and then put him back at wing..  IDK.  

https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/matthew-wood/13519

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

@handyman 

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to play North Dakota every year. That's one of the great rivalries in the sport.

Its really not.  It was when we were in a conference together...now I honestly don't care about it.  It means the same to me as a series against BC would mean...and since we never see that I would prefer that.

I am not saying we shouldn't ever play them...but there are plenty of good teams out there and I would rather play as many as we can.  Regional rivalries matter very little when there is nothing at stake.  

@steve-mn has it right...rotate the regional games and spice it up with something else.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Looking at it historically, I'd rather play UND than basically any of the MN schools.  They're still #2 on my hatred list behind the Red Menace, although they're losing ground to Michigan and the rest of the B1G rapidly.  They just had so MUCH hatred built up that it's taking a while for others to catch up.

Put UND, the assorted Minnesota Schools (and maybe Agustana soon) into a bucket... pull 2 out every year to play, then fill out the Non-Conference schedule with teams outside that grouping.

HandyNotDan, TheBirdman, Slap Shot and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @steve-mn

Looking at it historically, I'd rather play UND than basically any of the MN schools.  They're still #2 on my hatred list behind the Red Menace, although they're losing ground to Michigan and the rest of the B1G rapidly.  They just had so MUCH hatred built up that it's taking a while for others to catch up.

I'm with you on this.  While not the same as when in the same conference, decades of hatred don't just go away for me.  And they will always have a decent team and sometimes near the top. Even back in the latter days of the WCHA, I always looked forward to MN playing Michigan around Thanksgiving, partly due to their history and partly due to the fact Michigan was usually in the mix and played an offensive style of game. Playing UND every year is fine if the rest of the schedule is going to be cupcakes.  Or go to 2 of 3 years and add an occasional Top tier Eastern School or someone like Denver.

And I don't have a wife willing to travel to away games (other than occasionally Duluth) so I follow the team mostly on TV. It's not in our travel budget to go places that just I want to go. So having some challenging games is more my interest than how close it is to travel to. I'll watch every game I can get (I miss FSN having every game Big10 doesn't carry). But with games against cupcakes, a win is expected so one just feels relief that they didn't let it slip through their hands when they win, rather than excitement if they win against a quality opponent. Generally UND falls in the latter category (wins are exciting and satisfying) and most of the rest on the schedule fall in the latter (just relief with a win).

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@koho never felt any animosity toward Michigan. North Dakota is different. I think if Wisconsin becomes consistently good they could top it. I know a lot of Michigan fans they don't care about Minnesota.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

@koho never felt any animosity toward Michigan. North Dakota is different. I think if Wisconsin becomes consistently good they could top it. I know a lot of Michigan fans they don't care about Minnesota.

Are the Michigan fans generic Michigan fans including hockey?   Or are they primarily Michigan Hockey fans?  I'd think there may be a difference in opinions about MN between those two groups.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@steve-mn 

Big hockey people, yes. They view the jug in football as much more important. Minnesota hockey to them is the other high skill team they enjoy playing nothing more. They hate Notre Dame more than us even in hockey.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

ymmv

My direct experience with Michigan hockey fans going back to traveling there in the 90's, to interact with them at the X in 2002 is that that DO NOT LIKE Gophers hockey, especially considering that unlike in football the opponent isn't a cakewalk. Why would their FB fans care more about a 90% win run since the 60's?

I'd much rather beat UMi now, but I also personally love what I still think is a rivalry with UND and I suspect the players do too.

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Put UND, the assorted Minnesota Schools (and maybe Agustana soon) into a bucket... pull 2 out every year to play, then fill out the Non-Conference schedule with teams outside that grouping.

You can inject UND / MN hockey games right into my veins --- maybe this fades over time, but one of favorite memories is Ryan Lindgren throwing down with a UND player when the series picked up again. Get the feeling he knew what that rivalry was and meant. Wiscy will always be hated, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of animus I feel towards Michigan. It's a nice consolation prize for not playing UND 4 times a year. The rest of the Big Ten is meh --- no other rivalries that pop of the page; I'm not saying other teams aren't good because typically 5 of the 7 are in the mix for the tourney.

Interest in UMD and SCSU has dropped somewhat even though UMD has had more success that the U lately. Minn St - Mankato is interesting. We'll see how other local series evolve.

Jankwi01 reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

UND/MN is great and in its hay day it was one of the best rivalries in sports, period. It’s obviously cooled a bit since but it’s still great in my opinion. You can make the argument that it’s not our biggest rivalry anymore but to make the claim that it’s so far past its prime that it’s similar to playing Augustana or someone of that nature is pretty silly.

Still a really fun rivalry that means a great deal to the fans who were around in the WCHA.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 663

Just my opinion but with UND and UMN what conference they’re in or were in has nothing to do with it. I’ve only followed gopher hockey since the early 90’s but I cannot remember one game with these two that was ever a ho hum’er. They don’t like each other, fans don’t like each other. There’s a mutual disrespect that has some respect with the true fans of the college game. There’s an obvious history that goes back to “the good old days” sure but how the gophers and UND measure up against each other every year never gets old to me at least not yet. I’m not a gopher hockey player or on the coaching staff, I don’t know who they wanna play or who they need a shot in the arm to wake up against from year to year but from a fans’ standpoint it looks like they might circle this on on the schedule when it’s there.

bearpaw28, Rau4SkiUMah, maroon and gold and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4147
Post on old board: 9428

@handyman 

Its really not.  It was when we were in a conference together...now I honestly don't care about it.  It means the same to me as a series against BC would mean...and since we never see that I would prefer that.

I am not saying we shouldn't ever play them...but there are plenty of good teams out there and I would rather play as many as we can.  Regional rivalries matter very little when there is nothing at stake.  

@steve-mn has it right...rotate the regional games and spice it up with something else.

A lot of the “rivalry” part goes back to when Hakstool was coach and obviously encouraged all the cheap and cheesy play they were known for. The fact that their fans ate it up and made excuses was not surprising at all. They also have a huge boner for us and I couldn’t care less if we play them or not. 

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5323

Eh, to me the pinnacle of that rivalry was the Woog vs Blais years. Those games were usually a lot of fun. 

gopheritall reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

UND/MN is great and in its hay day it was one of the best rivalries in sports, period. It’s obviously cooled a bit since but it’s still great in my opinion. You can make the argument that it’s not our biggest rivalry anymore but to make the claim that it’s so far past its prime that it’s similar to playing Augustana or someone of that nature is pretty silly.

Still a really fun rivalry that means a great deal to the fans who were around in the WCHA.

Who said this?  I compared it to BC...

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 663

Posted by: @karlsson

Eh, to me the pinnacle of that rivalry was the Woog vs Blais years. Those games were usually a lot of fun. 

Not everyday you see a game of bubble hockey between 2 former head coaches at center ice in front of a sell out crowd prior to the game. 2 great hockey legends, who else coulda pulled that off?😂

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I think that was in reference to my tossing Augustana into the bucket with the MN schools + NoDak in terms of 2 weekends out of that bucket per year being enough, and they missed the part where I clearly stated that UND was ahead of any of the MN schools for me.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I think that was in reference to my tossing Augustana into the bucket with the MN schools + NoDak in terms of 2 weekends out of that bucket per year being enough, and they missed the part where I clearly stated that UND was ahead of any of the MN schools for me.

Ah...gotcha.  Augustana and St. Thomas do little for me but they can be in the rotation 😉

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Just my opinion but with UND and UMN what conference they’re in or were in has nothing to do with it. I’ve only followed gopher hockey since the early 90’s but I cannot remember one game with these two that was ever a ho hum’er. They don’t like each other, fans don’t like each other. There’s a mutual disrespect that has some respect with the true fans of the college game. There’s an obvious history that goes back to “the good old days” sure but how the gophers and UND measure up against each other every year never gets old to me at least not yet. I’m not a gopher hockey player or on the coaching staff, I don’t know who they wanna play or who they need a shot in the arm to wake up against from year to year but from a fans’ standpoint it looks like they might circle this on on the schedule when it’s there.

EXACTLY! It’s the mutual loathing & competitive arrogance (that applies to both teams players, coaches & fans) along with both teams being perennial top 10 squads that makes this rivalry (still) GREAT! 

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

It looks like Leo Gruba was never drafted, anyone know why? He put up some crazy numbers in the USHL.

ReplyQuote
Page 18 / 21