56 Users
222 Likes
77 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5719
Post on old board: 16243

2) Probably wrong… but the only thing I can think of is a ‘subway sandwich’.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5222

3. Friday 

5. Kosovo

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7750
Post on old board: 35040

Not gonna bother with a question, here's a bit of trivia thanks to Super 70's Sports on the tweeter:
Nolan Ryan struck out eight father-son combinations. He even got two of Sandy Alomar’s kids.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Answers…

Posted by: @gator

Friday morning extra…

A)  How many folds does a chefs hat have and why?

- 100 and how many ways to cook an egg.

B) Which band/artist has the most songs reaching #2 on the Billboards without reaching #1?

- Credence Clearwater Revival 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2397
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, February 17, 2023
1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Eight U.S. presidents were born west of the Mississippi River. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

Barack Obama (Hawai’i), Bill Clinton (Arkansas), Gerald Ford (Nebraska), Richard Nixon (California), Lyndon Johnson (Texas), Dwight Eisenhower (Texas), Harry S. Truman (Missouri), Herbert Hoover (Iowa)

2. What popular fast food menu item got its name from a historic rail line that connected Brooklyn to Manhattan?

BMT
(from Subway; it was a New York subway line called the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit)

3. In 1991, John Singleton wrote and directed “Boyz n the Hood.” Afterward, he told one of the stars of that movie, “If you can write a record, you can write a movie.” What 1995 movie was the result of that advice?

“Friday”
(cowritten by Ice Cube)

4. “Aeneid” is a poem about Aeneas, who fled to Italy after the Fall of Troy and whose descendants became the Romans. Like the poem and its subject, its author is also known by one name. Name that poet!

Virgil

5. Today is February 17. On this day in 2008, a tiny, landlocked country of 1.8 million people declared its independence from Serbia. Name that country.

Kosovo

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, February 20, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. The electronics company Roland released one of the first mass market drum machines in 1980, and it has defined the sound of hip-hop and R&B ever since. It’s called the TR-BLANK. What three-digit number fills that blank?

2. What U.S. city welcomes more than 75 million tourists each year, and may have been named after the protagonist of the Shakespeare play “As You Like It”?

3. Who shot Ronald Reagan, and was released from the restrictions of his parole for that crime in June 2022?

4. Are hedgehogs “Old World” animals (endemic to Africa, Asia, and Europe) or “New World” animals (endemic to the Americas)?

5. The company that makes Sour Patch Kids makes a nearly identical product, the only differences being that they’re a different shape, they’re all one color, and they aren’t covered in sour sugar. Name that candy.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4705
Post on old board: 10695

3: John Hinkley Jr

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

5) My youngest daughter’s fav candy… Swedish Fish?!?!?!

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

2. Pretty sure the character in question is Rosalind but if it is I'm not connecting it to a city

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10660
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @slap-shot

2. Pretty sure the character in question is Rosalind but if it is I'm not connecting it to a city

This one I had to look up.  If my research is correct you're on the right track, think of marriages & mice.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2202

4) hedgies are old world.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

1. TR-808

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, February 20, 2023

1. The electronics company Roland released one of the first mass market drum machines in 1980, and it has defined the sound of hip-hop and R&B ever since. It’s called the TR-BLANK. What three-digit number fills that blank?

2. What U.S. city welcomes more than 75 million tourists each year, and may have been named after the protagonist of the Shakespeare play “As You Like It”?

Orlando, Florida

3. Who shot Ronald Reagan, and was released from the restrictions of his parole for that crime in June 2022?

John Hinckley Jr.

4. Are hedgehogs “Old World” animals (endemic to Africa, Asia, and Europe) or “New World” animals (endemic to the Americas)?

Old World

5. The company that makes Sour Patch Kids makes a nearly identical product, the only differences being that they’re a different shape, they’re all one color, and they aren’t covered in sour sugar. Name that candy.

Swedish Fish

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, February 21, 2023

1. If you combine a country’s consumption, investment, government spending, and net exports, you have calculated its… what?

2. In 2016, Kerry Washington starred in an HBO movie called “Confirmation.” Who did she portray in that film?

3. A method of screening for cancerous cells using a multichromatic dye was invented in 1928 by a Greek American doctor whose 12-letter last name began with what three letters?

4. Which “I” country is the traditional home of Waterford crystal and Aran sweaters?

5. What composer and lyricist co-founded Capitol Records in 1942, and wrote more than 1,500 songs throughout his career, including “Moon River”?

ReplyQuote

Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 526

4. Ireland

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1: Gross National Product

3:  Pap

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

5. Johnny Mercer

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2202

2) she played Anita Hill

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, February 21, 2023
1. If you combine a country’s consumption, investment, government spending, and net exports, you have calculated its… what?

Gross Domestic Product

2. In 2016, Kerry Washington starred in an HBO movie called “Confirmation.” Who did she portray in that film?

Anita Hill

3. A method of screening for cancerous cells using a multichromatic dye was invented in 1928 by a Greek American doctor whose 12-letter last name began with what three letters?

Pap
(the Pap smear is named after Georgios Papanikolaou)

4. Which “I” country is the traditional home of Waterford crystal and Aran sweaters?

Ireland

5. What composer and lyricist co-founded Capitol Records in 1942, and wrote more than 1,500 songs throughout his career, including “Moon River”?

Johnny Mercer

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, February 22, 2023

1. One of the most famous vomit scenes in movie history was filmed in 1973 using plastic tubing, a hand-cranked pump, and several quarts of pea soup-colored porridge. Name that movie.

2. Mbabane is the capital of what tiny landlocked monarchy, bordered on three sides by South Africa? Hint: This nation was officially renamed in 2018.

3. What Detroit-based civil rights author, activist, and philosopher, born Yu Ping, published “The Next American Revolution” in 2011 at the age of 95?

4. Prohibition became the law of the land in 1919, thanks to which amendment to the U.S. Constitution?

5. It’s not the law of the land anymore. What cocktail did Raymond Chandler describe in his book “The Long Goodbye” as “half gin and half Rose’s lime juice and nothing else”?

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

2) Eswatini (Swaziland)

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

1. The Exorcist

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

4:  18th

5: Gimlet

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1242
Post on old board: 5215

3. Grace Lee Boggs

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, February 22, 2023

1. One of the most famous vomit scenes in movie history was filmed in 1973 using plastic tubing, a hand-cranked pump, and several quarts of pea soup-colored porridge. Name that movie.

“The Exorcist”

2. Mbabane is the capital of what tiny landlocked monarchy, bordered on three sides by South Africa? Hint: This nation was officially renamed in 2018.

eSwatini (formerly Swaziland)

3. What Detroit-based civil rights author, activist, and philosopher, born Yu Ping, published “The Next American Revolution” in 2011 at the age of 95?

Grace Lee Boggs

4. Prohibition became the law of the land in 1919, thanks to which amendment to the U.S. Constitution?

18th

5. It’s not the law of the land anymore. What cocktail did Raymond Chandler describe in his book “The Long Goodbye” as “half gin and half Rose’s lime juice and nothing else”?

Gimlet

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Fast and the Curious: Lent just started, which means the start of a period of meat-free fasting on Fridays for many Catholics. Here are some questions about those fasts.

Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. A McDonald’s franchise owner in Cincinnati introduced what menu item in the 1960s, because customers in his largely Catholic neighborhood weren’t buying burgers during Lent?

2. According to official church guidelines, are Catholics allowed to eat snake meat during a Lenten fast?

3. What colorful holiday tradition began partly as a way for Catholic farmers to make use of excess product while abstaining from eating poultry for Lent?

4. Cod is a staple of fish fries during the Lent season. Most of the world’s wild cod is harvested from which ocean?

5. How many days does the Catholic Lenten fast last? According to the Bible, it’s the same number of days that Jesus fasted in the wilderness, that Moses spent talking to God on Mount Sinai, and that God made it rain during Noah’s great flood.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1: Filet-o-Fish

5: 40

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

4) Atlantic?

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

3.  Easter eggs?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

2. Yes

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, February 23, 2023
The Fast and the Curious: Lent just started, which means the start of a period of meat-free fasting on Fridays for many Catholics. Here are some questions about those fasts.

1. A McDonald’s franchise owner in Cincinnati introduced what menu item in the 1960s, because customers in his largely Catholic neighborhood weren’t buying burgers during Lent?

Filet-O-Fish

2. According to official church guidelines, are Catholics allowed to eat snake meat during a Lenten fast?

Yes
(the observance excludes only the meat of warm-blooded animals)

Zwak note:  capybara meat can also be eaten durning lent

3. What colorful holiday tradition began partly as a way for Catholic farmers to make use of excess product while abstaining from eating poultry for Lent?

Making Easter eggs

4. Cod is a staple of fish fries during the Lent season. Most of the world’s wild cod is harvested from which ocean?

Atlantic

5. How many days does the Catholic Lenten fast last? According to the Bible, it’s the same number of days that Jesus fasted in the wilderness, that Moses spent talking to God on Mount Sinai, and that God made it rain during Noah’s great flood.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, February 24, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email.

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: The inaugural “Performers” class inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 1986, included six Black musicians. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. Richard Sears started a mail-order watch company in Minneapolis in 1886. The following year, he and watch repairman Alvah Roebuck moved the company’s headquarters to which state?

3. The gastrointestinal tract is also known as the “BLANK canal”—a 10-letter term that stems from the Latin for “pertaining to food.” Fill in that blank.

4. Shakespeare only wrote one play about a Tudor monarch. It ends with the christening of Princess Elizabeth. Name that play.

5. Today is February 24. Happy 32nd birthday to O'Shea Jackson Jr., who portrayed his father in what 2015 biopic?

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2639
Post on old board: 7833

2. Illinois?

3. I’m sure I’m butchering the spelling but I pretty sure I remember making a drawing in fourth or fifth grade of the aliamentary canal.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

@iceburg 3.  Close, it’s alimentary (the clue said it had 10 letters). Cunning

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2005

2. I don't know how many of you know this, but Richard Sears was a depot agent in North Redwood MN (about 12 miles from me) when a case of watches arrived at the depot and went unclaimed. Sears decided to sell the watches himself and did so well at it he quit his depot job and start up a mail order business.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2639
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @zwak

@iceburg 3.  Close, it’s alimentary (the clue said it had 10 letters). Cunning

I’m surprised it stuck with me. Not sure I’ve thought about it since I made that drawing, and that was probably during the Kennedy administration ?

ReplyQuote
MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 223

5. Straight Outta Compton

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

4. Henry VIII

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

1. Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino. That's all I got

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @chris83

1. Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino. That's all I got

Little Richard had to be one of them. Sam Cooke the other?

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Gotta love cheaters at Bar Trivia.  They play for a whole $50 gift card

No way anyone knows this answer.

The Cullinan diamond also known as the Star of Africa was discovered in 1905. What was its Carats Size?

Well this group that wins every week got this    The answer is 3,106.75     Yes they even put the .75    Somehow this group goes 20-20 each week.  Well finally someone stood up behind them took a photo of them on their phones for the answers.   Booed out of the Bar and have not been back    

ReplyQuote
Reg Dunlop
(@reg-dunlop)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 108

@bert Pathetic. I was chatting with our trivia host one time. They said they went to the Natty one year, and everyone had to check their phones at the door. Said about a third of the teams either quit early, or only got about 1/2 of the questions right.

Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @reg-dunlop

@bert Pathetic. I was chatting with our trivia host one time. They said they went to the Natty one year, and everyone had to check their phones at the door. Said about a third of the teams either quit early, or only got about 1/2 of the questions right.

I mean really you are playing for a gift card.  I dont get some people.

A guy I grew up with was on Jeopardy and now a show Masterminds.  Ryan Chaffee.   It is funny when he shows up to bar Trivia. Most of the time the other teams don't stand a chance, but they give their gift cards to other teams.  They are out there for beers and a good time.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

It was that way at OC Apple Valley. You knew some teams had to be cheating or they are Ken Jennings smart.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bert

A guy I grew up with was on Jeopardy and now a show Masterminds.

I worked with a gal who tried out for Jeopardy and was a finalist and close to being on. She was all in and wanted to join @viking, WPoS and myself for trivia at OC Apple Valley, but never worked out. 
Agree @bert , I’ve always said for bar trivia phones should be checked in. And really see how smart people and teams are. It’s pathetic people will cheat for a gift card or a free app. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Part of it, too, is the same trivia is used at different bars during the week. What is it, Trivia Mafia or something (?), will hit one place on Tue, and another spot really close by the next night, and it'll be the same questions. So teams will hit both spots, and clean up on the 2nd night. 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

I hosted bar trivia for 6 years.  I was fortunate that we would have so many regulars that cheating was self policed.  If anyone saw someone cheating they’d tell me and I would announce to not use your phones. I would less than 5 times would I have to actually go talk to people to put their phones away.

when we would have tournaments that had bigger prizes, people had to put their phones in a basket in the middle of their table.  They could take their phones out after each round and halftime.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, February 24, 2023

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: The inaugural “Performers” class inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 1986, included six Black musicians. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Little Richard (give yourself a bonus point if you also got Robert Johnson, included in the “Early Influencers” category)

2. Richard Sears started a mail-order watch company in Minneapolis in 1886. The following year, he and watch repairman Alvah Roebuck moved the company’s headquarters to which state?

Illinois (the former Sears tower is in Chicago)

3. The gastrointestinal tract is also known as the “BLANK canal”—a 10-letter term that stems from the Latin for “pertaining to food.” Fill in that blank.

Alimentary

4. Shakespeare only wrote one play about a Tudor monarch. It ends with the christening of Princess Elizabeth. Name that play.

“Henry VIII”

5. Today is February 24. Happy 32nd birthday to O'Shea Jackson Jr., who portrayed his father in what 2015 biopic?

“Straight Outta Compton” (he is Ice Cube’s son)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, February 27, 2023

1. What 1719 novel had a very lengthy subtitle, which began, “Who Lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited island on the Coast of America”?

2. Rapper Clifford Smith, a member of a collective named for a 1983 Hong Kong film, took what alliterative stage name from a 1979 martial arts movie about a fighter who succeeds by following a very specific fighting style?

3. The “Wicked Bible” was a misprinted 1631 King James Bible that accidentally omitted what three-letter word from the Ten Commandments?

4. Of all films set in the 13th century, which film, released in 1995, won the most Academy Awards, with five?

5. The NBA team located nearest to Pittsburgh is not from Pennsylvania. Name that team.

ReplyQuote

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

1. Robinson Crusoe

ReplyQuote
Page 51 / 100