219 Reactions
29.3 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5823
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @snowcool08

Honestly wasn’t that bad. Players need to drop their sticks if they’re going to tussle. 

College hockey “so-called fights” are a joke. It’s a wrestling match on ice. And the crowd goes nuts when their player got lucky after tussling and taking the opponent to the ice thinking they just won the heavyweight championship bout of the year.

Keep your stick on the ice...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7801

Posted by: @cowgirl

That was lame.  It looked way better on paper.  😆

Don't you usually say fighting in hockey is stupid? Now you are rooting for fights? I'm confused. 😆 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

If the penalty for fighting wasn't getting kicked out of the next game this likely would have resulted in multiple fights so the penalty for fighting did what it is designed to do keep guys from fighting. 

Play hockey if you want to fight become a boxer or get into MMA. 😀 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7439
Post on old board: 18942

I am sure many college players would like to toss paws more, but they can't because the punishment is so severe. I don't think the players are pretending that it's anything more than it really is. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Providence who was #9 going into the game gets shut out at home 4-0 by Anchorage who was #52 going into the game.

Michigan who won last night 7-1 at East Lansing was up 4-1 tonight in the middle of the second period at home (home and home series) but Sparty comes storming back scoring 4 goals in a 7 minute span of the second half of the 2nd period and ends up winning 7-5 getting a big road win.

rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 324
Post on old board: 5728

If I wasn't so bitter about last year I wouldn't have tuned in and cheered out loud when Quinnipiac lost to Colgate last night and Cornell tonight...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @rowshkex

If I wasn't so bitter about last year I wouldn't have tuned in and cheered out loud when Quinnipiac lost to Colgate last night and Cornell tonight...

Currently Quinnipiac is 8th in Pairwise/RPI and the Gophers are 9th obviously there are a ton of games left but I bet a lot of Gopher players would like a rematch in this year's NCAA playoffs.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4100
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

@bertogliat It starts at the 8:30 mark (right after Sparty scores their only goal of the game) of this highlight video. 

I very much appreciate you digging this up for me.  Sad to report it was pretty underwhelming considering the penalties given out.

not sure why my post was lined out.  Lol

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @rowshkex

Currently Quinnipiac is 8th in Pairwise/RPI and the Gophers are 9th obviously there are a ton of games left but I bet a lot of Gopher players would like a rematch in this year's NCAA playoffs.

I would like to see a replay only to see if Bob would call off the dogs again and play safe (prevent) hockey or if he would let his team play like a championship team and go for the jugular. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4656

Providence who was #9 going into the game gets shut out at home 4-0 by Anchorage who was #52 going into the game.

Michigan who won last night 7-1 at East Lansing was up 4-1 tonight in the middle of the second period at home (home and home series) but Sparty comes storming back scoring 4 goals in a 7 minute span of the second half of the 2nd period and ends up winning 7-5 getting a big road win.

That Providence loss is a killer for them.

Michigan really is in trouble when it comes to making the NCAA at large. Guessing they will be fighting for their lives when they come to Mariucci at end of season. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12764
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

A counter point to on campus regionals.

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1749256499006767333

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2340
Post on old board: 6782

I've read both Schlossman's article and this one and I can see both sides.  I believe Schlossman in his article and then Vegoe on the GPL podcast last week brought up how many other NCAA post season tournaments use on campus venues for first round and second round games.  So it is not some foreign idea or some idea that was completely mothballed decades ago. 

I do see that the Pairwise is not the perfect indicator to seed the tournament but also it was pointed out that a committee is far from perfect either so the Pairwise is better of the two ways.  Overall I think the Pairwise rankings get the top 8-10 teams correct, it's the bubble teams where the disagreements usually lie.  

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 673

@g-manpuck I wrote up a response to Caponegri's tweet where he asked fans to weigh in, but keeping it within 200 characters is well beyond my capacity as an attorney.

I appreciate Adam Woden's defense of the current system but I personally find it unconvincing. I read his defense to be principally about ensuring fairness where the rankings fail, particularly on the margins. But I see this to have two problems:  1.) the biggest issue is on the bubble teams, who either sneak into the tournament or whose resume has some blemishes on it, and 2.) the difference in banding between seeds 1-4 and 5-8 and 9-12 and 13-16. 

To the first problem, using the current system to resolve the bubble means you penalize the teams who had the most successful seasons. Forcing a team who had a great run to play on the road and potentially across the country is patently unfair, particularly if you have two or three teams from the same region coming out (see the west which could see a few teams from MN/ND/WI having to play in the closest regional of Allentown PA and the other ones further east than that). 

To the second problem, the NCAA already deems a 2-seed as a 2-seed regardless of whether they are seed 5 or seed 8.  While the dropoff from 8 to 9, for example, is great, the 9 seed is still the away team and will get first change.  Forcing them to be on the road because the math puts them there isn't that unfair-- they are still in the tournament and still can prove they are better than the 8 seed. Contrast that to the 13 seed, who may be hosting a 4 seed or better in a neutral site closer to its campus. 

On-campus makes more sense from a crowd and enthusiasm setup.  It would also allow for best two-out-of-three to take place in these regionals, so the better teams can show through instead of one-game upsets.  More hockey = better. 

So I side more with Schlossman I believe.  And now I need a shower as I write that.

g-manpuck reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4884
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

So I side more with Schlossman I believe.  And now I need a shower as I write that.

Don't you hate when someone like Schlossman makes so much sense? 🤣 

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

SkiUMahLaw reacted

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5365
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @steve-mn

Not in the least... Great guy and proponent for college hockey.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2340
Post on old board: 6782

While Schloss writes for the dreaded/hated Pioux he is a top scribe for college hockey...we all know it.  I am with @skiumahlaw that I side with Schlossman, his argument is much more compelling.  I believe Wodon's argument is more "get off my lawn" and give it more time to work out, which I think this model has been given enough time. 

I think most of us will agree that Allentown is not in the West but because of lack of venues and universities west of the Mississippi River that are willing to host regionals leaves it in the four venue rotation of recent years.  If you could get a couple venues in Iowa or Illinois to host it may spread things out but on-campus venues just seem to make the most sense to try.  Try it for a two year cycle and then re-evaluate for the bidding process for the next two years after that. 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Steve MN and SkiUMahLaw reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Augie opens its new arena this weekend. 

https://twitter.com/AugieMHockey/status/1749512094620189072

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4884
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @steve-mn

Not in the least... Great guy and proponent for college hockey.

It's a good natured hatred, like with Milewski.  Both are amazing writers, really good people generally, and very good for College Hockey... but I can still hate their choice of teams.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

SkiUMahLaw and Slap Shot reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

It should a really good weekend of college hockey with a lot of big match ups. Based on Pairwise rankings 

#1 Boston U vs. #2 Boston College (home and home)

#6 Denver at #3 North Dakota

#4 Wisconsin at #14 Michigan

#9 Gophers at #7 Michigan State

#18 Colorado College at #10 Western Michigan

#20 Omaha at #13 St. Cloud State

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I wonder how long of a leash Grant Potulny has at NMU.  It's not like they have a long line of success in the 2000's (1 NCAA appearance?) but they are in the midst of another losing season. Hoping for the best and I would love to see him make the program more competitive in that conference.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The 1st USCHO bracketology has Mn out east vs QU.

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1750307862625104127

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7601

I would love that honestly 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Augustana game is on TV if you have MidcoZ. Arena is nice looking.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

St. Cloud State at home has leads of 2-0, 3-1, 4-2, and 5-4 but loses 7-6 in overtime to Omaha who is in 7th place out 8 in the NCHC.

Omaha scored two goals within 14 seconds late in the 2nd period and 2 goals within 30 seconds in the third period.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4656

UMass Lowell (35th Pairwise) beating Providence (10) 2-1. 

Quinnipiac (8) losing to UConn (22) 3 to 1.

Cornell (15) tied 2 to 2 again Dartmouth (39).

All games in the second period. Some potentially good outcomes for the Gophers tonight. 

BlueBandit24 reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

#18 Colorado College goes to #14 Western Michigan and wins both games 2-1 overtime.

Michigan at home has 4 leads but loses 6-5 in overtime to Wisconsin. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2401

BU going to be absolutely kicking themselves if they lose this game. absolutely working BC and cannot score. Now down 4-2. Really great game

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

St. Cloud at home against Omaha (7th place in the NCHC) loses last night in OT and tonight gets a tie.

St. Cloud has played 8 overtime games this season losing 3 and tying 5.

St. Cloud is now winless in their last 6 games (3 loses and 3 ties) with 4 of the 6 games at home.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

We are getting to the time of the year when the polls and the pairwise are looking similar.

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1752020248071438395

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Posted by: @frozen4champs

1. Just imagine if Schlossman was the beat writer for the Gophers. The amount of great stories from him would keep the loyal Gopher fan base happy instead of what we have now.

2. I would like them to get back to campus sites, but would prefer that it would be played in 1 weekend. Unfortunately, that could cause a problem, as Brad said, with the potential of the host team losing in game 1 and the second games being played in empty buildings.  ( like the non Gopher Mariucci Classic games or B1G played at the X minus the Gophers ) So, I guess if I had to choose, I would go with Brad's plan of 2 weekends.

My concern as a fan, would be if the Gophers were not a top 8 seed, that the Gophers fans would have to travel 2 weekends in a row instead of 1 trip. Throw in the Frozen Four, that would be a lot of travel for some of the fans and I would suspect that it would lower the amount of fans who would make both pre FF weekends.  

So, there is not a perfect solution, but the campus sites would be the best option.  

Agree the regionals need to be one weekend. The end of the season would kind of drag on if they made the NCAA tournament one more weekend. The conference tournament is already 3 weekends, with single games the last two weekends. Now you have to play 2 games in two weeks on top of that. That’s like 4 games in a month span, and that’s if you make your conference championship game, it could get worse. Plus regional weekend is the best weekend of the year.

The one and done format is awful, I get why it's exciting for a neutral observer or even if your team is in it but I wouldn't mind watching more hockey get played which would lead to slightly less randomness. Even in the NHL's 7 game format you see a decent amount of randomness like Florida last year, the Leafs probably would've won a couple in the past decade if it were a one and done format  🤣 

I do understand that there are constraints to how long the season can be though so it's not easily implemented.

Slap Shot and Steve MN reacted
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 673

With changes on the horizon in the NCAA structure (think NIL), this little nugget is an inevitable byproduct.

https://twitter.com/elite_ho1/status/1752071308530139404?s=20

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

For those needing a college hockey fix, BU plays NE tonight on ESPNU at 5:30 CT.

https://twitter.com/TerrierHockey/status/1752333991330652587

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1789

With changes on the horizon in the NCAA structure (think NIL), this little nugget is an inevitable byproduct.

That would be very, very interesting.  I would have to think the recruiting landscape would shift quite a bit if CHL players are allowed to make the jump to the NCAAs after a year or two of playing CHL hockey since its ages 16-21. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2073
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @youngeagle

That would be very, very interesting.  I would have to think the recruiting landscape would shift quite a bit if CHL players are allowed to make the jump to the NCAAs after a year or two of playing CHL hockey since its ages 16-21. 

I think it would likely kill college hockey for me. The skill has been slowly draining out of the game as is, this would be terrible IMO.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

For those needing a college hockey fix, BU plays NE tonight on ESPNU at 5:30 CT.

https://twitter.com/TerrierHockey/status/1752333991330652587

1-0 Northeastern after 1 period. Matt Staudacher with the goal.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Northeastern who was 9-12-2 going into the game beats BU 4-3 in overtime.

BU was number #1 five days ago but has now lost 3 games in a row and has a similar record to the Gophers.

BU 16-7-1

Gophers 15-7-4

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Did I read that right? Staudacher with a goal against BU😂😂

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2354

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again but I really wish he was on this Gopher team right now. Might not have been the most talented defenseman when he was here but he always put in a full shift and could be counted on to play a real blue collar, lunch pail type game as they say. Stay at home defenseman who blocked shots, played smart, played with grit and let his D corps teammate jump into the rush. Also would have been only one of two defensemen with multiple full seasons under their belt going into this year. This Gopher team could really use that right. 

D Corps could look like this right now. 

Chesley - Koster 

Thomas - Rinzel 

Staudacher - L. Mittlestadt    

Fish 

trixR4kids reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Unless I missed something coach probably wanted him to stay.

Matt S has played 19 of Northeastern's 24 games with 2 goals, 2 assists, 6 penalty minutes, -3

Fish has played 25 of the Gophers' 26 games with 0 goals, 1 assist, 8 pen minutes, +5 (which is better than Luke Mitts and Koster)

I believe Matt finished his degree at the U last year (while red shirting). He was academic All Big Ten the past two years.

His decision to leave was likely a combination of athletics and where he wanted to do his grad studies. 

I agree Matt is likely a little better than Fish but Matt decided he wanted to do his grad studies and play at Northeastern. It is common for non athletes to do their under grad at one school and grad studies at another school.

What is different about Matt is for a hockey player to base his decision as much or more on academics than athletics. This is not meant as a shot at hockey players just a realization that Matt is different regarding what his priorities are. 

Staying at the U last year to focus on finishing his undergrad degree here IMO shows he values his education. He could have transferred before last year so he could play last year but was cool red shirting so he had 2 years of eligibility left (due to the Covid year) while doing his grad studies.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

This weeks USCHO bracketology once again has the Gophers vs QU out east.

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1752844532490633664

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Michigan to begin selling alcohol at Yost in Feb.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

They're going to need it.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Maine who was #5 going into tonight loses 6-3 giving up 5 goals in the 3rd period (one was an empty net goal) to Northeastern who was 10-12-2 going into the game.

Michigan State who was #7 going into tonight loses 4-1 to Notre Dame giving up 3 goals in the 3rd period one was an empty net goal.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Providence who was #10 loses 2-1 at home to U Conn who was 11-13-2 going into game.

Denver who was #5 lost 7-2 at home to Western Michigan.

St. Cloud loses 5-3 to Colorado College they are now 1-4-3 in their last 8 games with their only win be in a 3 on 3 OT. They are now #15 in Pairwise.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Providence keeps losing and never drops in the pairwise I don’t get it lol 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8000
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Providence keeps losing and never drops in the pairwise I don’t get it lol 

Simple math. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

For those needing a Monday hockey fix, it is semi-final day at the Bean Pot. Harvard v NE at 4pm, with BU v BC at 7pm. It will be shown on NESN and ESPN+

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1754558635504496987

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I just noticed Sparty was accessed a protocol violation penalty to start Fridays game for players not exiting the ice at the proper time after warmups. That is the 1st one that I recall seeing this year. Kurth always scares me on the Gophers as he waits until the final seconds to exit the ice at Mariucci. No need to screw around and make it close.

https://twitter.com/MSU_Hockey/status/1753577983619535218

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1789

For those needing a Monday hockey fix, it is semi-final day at the Bean Pot. Harvard v NE at 4pm, with BU v BC at 7pm. It will be shown on NESN and ESPN+

That is one tournament I would love to go to someday.  It always looks packed and fun. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Page 6 / 19