71 Users
219 Reactions
29.7 K Views
thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Huh.  I had hope that things would change after guys like Jacob Wilson and Gvido Jansons graduated, but I guess not.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1267
Post on old board: 5547

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 680

Posted by: @gopher6

https://www.uscho.com/2024/02/26/robert-morris-seeking-to-build-new-28-million-on-campus-arena-for-colonials-mens-womens-college-hockey-teams/

Good for them, though $28M doesn't go that far in hockey arenas.  Northfield is discussing around a $14M cost for a single sheet of ice in a community-style rink; by contrast, St. Thomas is looking at a $175M for their arena. 

Would be good for Robert Morris, but this would be an enhanced community rink. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2438

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

Posted by: @gopher6

https://www.uscho.com/2024/02/26/robert-morris-seeking-to-build-new-28-million-on-campus-arena-for-colonials-mens-womens-college-hockey-teams/

Good for them, though $28M doesn't go that far in hockey arenas.  Northfield is discussing around a $14M cost for a single sheet of ice in a community-style rink; by contrast, St. Thomas is looking at a $175M for their arena. 

Would be good for Robert Morris, but this would be an enhanced community rink. 

not really a fair comp as UST is building a combined hockey and basketball arena coupled with a place for hosting concerts and commencements

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5402
Post on old board: 15786

@thinkbui @steve-mn @gator 

PSU has the tiebreaker. This is confirmed. The BigTen and many other sites use the win column for both regulation wins and OT wins. This confuses people on how many wins a team has…

The second tiebreaker will not work if OSU sweeps. They will both have 5 regulation wins. So they go to the 3rd tiebreaker which is least amount of regulation losses. If OSU sweeps, they will still have one more loss compared to PSU. 15 vs 14. 

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

gator reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4890
Post on old board: 10695

Yeah, just went back and re-counted (I wasn't going off of any standings, I was looking at the results on CHN under each team's schedule page) and somehow I'd come up with 4 regulation wins for OSU already, not sure where I missed that.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12836
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

This weeks Braketology--

https://www.uscho.com/2024/02/28/bracketology-some-movement-in-the-pairwise-makes-this-weeks-bracektology-that-much-more-difficult-to-handle/

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Minnesota
9. Maine
16. Bemidji State

Maryland Heights, Mo.
2. Boston University
6. Denver
10. Providence
15. RIT

Sioux Falls, S.D.
3. North Dakota
7. Quinnipiac
11. St. Cloud State
14. Michigan

Springfield, Mass.
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan State
12. Western Michigan
13. Massachusetts

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

would really love to avoid BC, but do like how we match up with Maine. Maybe the Beavers just decide to be the little engine that could in the postseason anyway and we can have an all MN regional final

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7630

Gonna be hard to get out of BC’s region at this point. We’re probably gonna be 8 or 9. I presume we’d move up to 7 or 6 with a Big 10 tournament title though.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7874

The current Pairwise probability matrix shows the Gophers with a 18% chance of finishing #8 and a 19% chance of finishing #9. 

Winning the Big Ten tournament would result in finishing some where between #3 and #6 with #5 or #6 being the most likely.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4675

Yeah I was going to say, there’s a better chance we actually move out of 8th or 9th. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

The current Pairwise probability matrix shows the Gophers with a 18% chance of finishing #8 and a 19% chance of finishing #9. 

Winning the Big Ten tournament would result in finishing some where between #3 and #6 with #5 or #6 being the most likely.

in all likelihood, it would probably be enough to get us to 4 given you'll have at least another win over Mich St or Wisconsin which will flip the pairwise comp with them. And if it ends up being both of them, would likely flip both comps. couple that with we would for sure pass Quinny in that setting and it's 4 or 5 pending what Denver does. No one behind us would catch us in that setting (I guess maybe Maine if they can run through BU and BC in the HE tourney?)

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1143

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10862
Post on old board: 21741

Ok I just turned on the OSU-PSU game and only saw the replay from the end but it looked like the PSU player skated into the back of an OSU player (and led with his head) resulting in 1) a 5 minute major on OSU for head contact and a negated OSU goal.   

This call - like many from B1G refs - is a serious head scratcher for me.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1199
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @greyeagle

Ok I just turned on the OSU-PSU game and only saw the replay from the end but it looked like the PSU player skated into the back of an OSU player (and led with his head) resulting in 1) a 5 minute major on OSU for head contact and a negated OSU goal.   

Took forever to make the call too. Almost like they were looking for something that wasn’t there. It’s a bad call and if it happened against MN, there would be revolt here. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4675

Posted by: @snowcool08

Took forever to make the call too. Almost like they were looking for something that wasn’t there. It’s a bad call and if it happened against MN, there would be revolt here. 

I just watched this. What an ABSURD call! 

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2064

Posted by: @snowcool08

Why? We're used to the refs screwing us every chance they get!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

https://twitter.com/DrewVanDrese/status/1763713265417228746?s=20

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2360

I should be shocked at such an awful call. I should. But unfortunately, I am not. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

How you can look at that on replay and think anything other he dove I don’t understand

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7552
Post on old board: 10120

Looks to me like the little guy in blue doesn’t know how to skate.  And they called a penalty on the OSU guy skating away and who didn’t even turn or engage in any way??  Wtf mate.  I think Bob would explode if they did that to us.  And rightfully so.  

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

A clear shot to the head by PSU is not called in the ice and Rollick is rightfully livid and challenging the call.

If this isn't five + game every spare stick on tOSU bench may go flying.  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5347

Now there’s an actual hit to the head and OSU has to challenge to get them to look at it. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

PSU goalie going full u-mi on the post....

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

Looks to me like the little guy in blue doesn’t know how to skate.  And they called a penalty on the OSU guy skating away and who didn’t even turn or engage in any way??  Wtf mate.  I think Bob would explode if they did that to us.  And rightfully so.  

5 minutes and a grand misconduct

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Now there’s an actual hit to the head and OSU has to challenge to get them to look at it. 

Did they manage to get a review right for a change?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5347

Posted by: @steve-mn

Did they manage to get a review right for a change?

They did, not tossed though. Just a major. The crazy thing about this one was no arms in the air when it occurred. Surprised me that Rohlik had to challenge, especially after that ridiculous call from earlier in the game. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

I seriously thought Rohlik was going to go full Spinal Tap drummer and spontaneously combust and if they had not called a major...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

#35 Clarkson goes to Quinnipiac and beats them 3-2 in OT.

The loss moves Quinnipiac down to #8 and moves the Gophers up to #7.

Maine loses 2-1 to Vermont. Maine has now lost 5 of their last 6 games.

Providence loses 2-1 to Merrimack and drops from #10 to #14.

Boston College was held to 10 shots through two periods (3 in the 1st, 7 in the 2nd) by New Hampshire but BC pulled out the win in the 3rd period scoring twice in the last 4 minutes to win 5-3. Shots after two periods were New Hampshire 23-10 with the score tied at 2.

Cornell at home lost 3-2 to Union and dropped to #17. Cornell is now winless in their last 4 games with 2 losses and 2 ties. The four games were against Yale, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and Union who are currently #47, #35, #53, and #37 in Pairwise.

gopheritall reacted
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 864
Post on old board: 5335

Sparty takes a 3-2 lead on Bucky with 7 to play. They clinch Big Ten if score holds. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

St. Cloud at home loses 6-2 to Denver and drops to #13.

Western Michigan loses 5-3 at the Ralph and drops to#14.

U Mass beats U Mass-Lowell 2-1 in OT and moves up to #10.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Bemidji State puts up 5 in the 2nd period against Mankato and wins 6-0 to clinch the CCHA regular season title.

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Michigan State wrapping up the BigTen with a win over Wisconsin.  That is enough for them.  Time for the Gophers to take over the post season.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 864
Post on old board: 5335

Sparty wins 5-2 and clinches Big Ten title and bye.

Next week's matchups:

Ohio State @Wisconsin

Penn State @minnesota

Notre Dame @Michigan

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Michigan State is 3-0 against Wisconsin this season.

In the offseason there was quite a bite of disagreement on this site about how good Michigan State will be. That question has been answered. The Gophers did have success against them going 2-1-1. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Colorado College ties Duluth 2-2 and drops to #13.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7630

The pairwise #10-15 is crazy

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7505
Post on old board: 18942

Was the 5-min major called against OSU reviewed? I cannot for the life of me understand if so how that call stood. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @slap-shot

Was the 5-min major called against OSU reviewed? I cannot for the life of me understand if so how that call stood. 

Yes.

OSU had scored and the play happened prior to the goal.  Challenged, reviewed, major, given, goal taken off the board.  Mysteriously there was not an eye test for the stripes.

Slap Shot reacted
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 334

Posted by: @gopheritall

Michigan State wrapping up the BigTen with a win over Wisconsin.  That is enough for them.  Time for the Gophers to take over the post season.

If I remember correctly, that now means that Big Bad Blue is the only team that has not won the B1G regular season hockey title.  5 schools have one title each, and the Gophers have 6.

dberg
(@dberg)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 35

Could a Minnesota win tonight and another Wisconsin loss today result in a swap between these two teams in the pairwise?

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @dberg

Could a Minnesota win tonight and another Wisconsin loss today result in a swap between these two teams in the pairwise?

yes but will make it near impossible to catch Michigan state so probably ends any shot at a 1 seed

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @joegopher

Posted by: @gopheritall

If I remember correctly, that now means that Big Bad Blue is the only team that has not won the B1G regular season hockey title.  5 schools have one title each, and the Gophers have 6.

You do, indeed, remember correctly.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

St. Cloud out shots Denver 34-27 last night and 38-23 tonight but loses 6-2 last night (one empty netter) and 7-2 tonight getting swept at home.

Western Michigan out shots North Dakota 37-17 last night and 35-27 tonight but loses 5-3 last night (one empty netter) and 3-0 tonight getting swept at the Ralph.

Western Michigan is currently #13 and St. Could is currently #15.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7552
Post on old board: 10120

You missed an o or two there stats guy. 😉

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

@cowgirl What are you talking about my speling and gramer is the mostest goodest of anybody I no. 😉 

Slap Shot and Cowgirl reacted
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1143

Elk River turning things around? My dad just told me that their AA bantam team just thumped Wayzata 7-0 in the section tournament. 

They must really be turning things around if they're joining the NCAA. 😉 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Another fun week coming up for the bubble after basically everyone on it did their best to drop positioning.

Providence lost to Merrimack, Cornell to Union, WMU swept by UND, SCSU swept by Denver, CC with a tie vs Duluth, UNH swept by BC, Maine lost to Vermont, Michigan losing then blowing their chance at a win to only get 2/3 of 1 on the weekend (they may be closer to 10 had they won in regulation). Basically only Omaha helped themselves by holding serve vs Miami to given themselves a bit of daylight towards a way to an autobid.

Make or break week for many of them now given 8 teams competing for at most 4 spots (could drop lower should another conference besides AHA and CCHA become an autobid, though seeming more and more unlikely with the top heavy HE, NCHC, and B10; maybe ECAC sees it happen though as Quinny has slipped a few times).

Denver at #11 CC

#12 Umass at #9 Maine

ND at #13 Michigan (series loser is done either way as Michigan will fall outside the bubble with 2 losses to ND)

#14 SCSU at UMD

Miami at #15 WMU 

UND at #17 Omaha (if they managed to sweep UND would really rock the bubble but even one win will be big)

#18 UNH at UML (a loss here and their AL chances are done)

Buckle in. Do or die time is starting with playoffs as well. Best time of year for college hockey

Greyeagle reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12836
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

This weeks Bracketology. We are playing the Regional host UMass.

Providence Regional
1. Boston College
2. Quinnipiac
3. Maine
4. Bemidji State (or CCHA champion)

Springfield, Mass. Regional
1. Boston University
2. Minnesota
3. Massachusetts (regional host)
4. St. Cloud State

Sioux Falls, S.D. Regional
1. North Dakota
2. Michigan State
3. Colorado College
4. RIT (or AHA champion)

Maryland Heights, Mo. Regional
1. Denver
2. Wisconsin
3. Providence
4. Michigan

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 334

Posted by: @frozen4champs

This weeks Bracketology. We are playing the Regional host UMass.

Providence Regional
1. Boston College
2. Quinnipiac
3. Maine
4. Bemidji State (or CCHA champion)

Springfield, Mass. Regional
1. Boston University
2. Minnesota
3. Massachusetts (regional host)
4. St. Cloud State

Sioux Falls, S.D. Regional
1. North Dakota
2. Michigan State
3. Colorado College
4. RIT (or AHA champion)

Maryland Heights, Mo. Regional
1. Denver
2. Wisconsin
3. Providence
4. Michigan

I'd take that bracket.  Seems balanced, in fact they all do.  Only potential "meat-grinder" in the group would be in MO.

Also mildly interesting that there is one team from ECAC, AHL, and WCHA.  HE gets 5, NCHC gets 4, and B1G gets 4.  Probably won't stay that way after the next few weekends, but that is a pretty good tourney layout.

Page 11 / 19