72 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13282
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Justen Close now leads all Big Ten goalies in every major statistical category. Remind me again why he isn’t a lock to come back next year?

I was told that he was too small and we needed a 6'5" goalie. ?  

I would love to have him back next year, but would love to get Barto some more games next year if that happens. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

I want him back next year. He is dependable. And damn solid. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

@handyman 

I highly doubt Rick has any insider info with the program. Anyone with actual inside info with a program doesn’t act, talk and post like he does. I also have a reliable source that knows Rick. He was a diehard Gopher fan growing up. Maybe why he was on POI. Didn’t know that he was on POI. Though Rick couldn’t get into “U” and went to UND. And became one of biggest Gopher Hockey haters around. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

If they are the same guy he definitely does have some sort of insider contact with UND and he always acted like a complete and udder toolshed.  

grey,

I remember the Crosby stuff.  I actually used to be "friends" with a kid who was a huge UND fan and (**cough**hypothetically**cough**) partied with Crosby at Shattuck and he also said Crosby was going to UND while they were...less than sober.  Looking back I would bet money it was a source like that that told Rick Crosby was going there even though everyone in the world knew that wasn't happening.  After that Rick really went off the wagon pretending he had sources at Mariucci and such who knew players...it got weird.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

If they are the same guy he definitely does have some sort of insider contact with UND and he always acted like a complete and udder toolshed.  

I'm about 110% we are talking about the same guy. Just having a tough time believing he has any inside contact. Though some people who post on here believe MeanEgirl has inside info with Michigan Tech... which is 110% laughable. And there's Gopher fans who claim they have inside info or contacts, and again laughable.  Just because someone claims they do, doesn't mean dinky-doo. Especially someone like Rick Haley and MeanEgirl.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7720
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @gator

I'm about 110% we are talking about the same guy. Just having a tough time believing he has any inside contact. Though some people who post on here believe MeanEgirl has inside info with Michigan Tech... which is 110% laughable. And there's Gopher fans who claim they have inside info or contacts, and again laughable.  Just because someone claims they do, doesn't mean dinky-doo. Especially someone like Rick Haley and MeanEgirl.

Why should we believe you know for a fact that certain folks don’t have inside info?  What makes you more credible than them? Just because you don’t like someone doesn’t make them wrong.  ?‍♀️

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

Why should we believe you know for a fact that certain folks don’t have inside info?  What makes you more credible than them? Just because you don’t like someone doesn’t make them wrong.  ?‍♀️

Never claimed to be credible. Just my opinion and what I know. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I can't speak to today but he definitely knew people at UND back in the Blais and Hak days.  Some of the biggest tools around have pretty good ties to programs and used it to try and have cred on message boards.  Seems like a weird way to stroke one's ego but it isn't like we are immune.

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@handyman 

True. Probably creeped on the coaches, players and cheerleaders. Like some Gophers fans who have eyes on them all game long.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13282
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

The past weekend Jan Brady retired Matt Cullen's number which prompted me to look at his stats at St Cloud. He played 2 years there, had 27 goals, 59 assists for 86 points in 75 games. It just feels like a lifetime achievement award for his long career in the NHL.  I guess Jan needs another banner to hang. For instance Vanek had 113 points in 83 games for his 2 years in Minnesota. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

They’ll retire Mark Parrish’s next… lol!!!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5065
Post on old board: 10695

Wonder if someone complained that the Gophers have a retired jersey and they don't, so they figured Cullen was a good choice?  Cool

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Well his numbers may not be spectacular but I am guessing they did it because SCCC became a legit team when he ended up there.  It doesnt seem that ludicrous to me.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

What would it take for another gopher to their number retired? Is it even really possible because I'm sure it would need to be a lot and those guys aren't sticking around.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

Posted by: @northerngopher218

What would it take for another gopher to their number retired? Is it even really possible because I'm sure it would need to be a lot and those guys aren't sticking around.

Matthew Knies stays for all four years ?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

UST is all in.....with help

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

I would think the bar is extraordinarily high and probably some combination of being high on the all time scoring list, winning national titles, and Hobey Baker or other national award winner.  Minimum.  

If Patrick Micheletti could have stayed out of the penalty box.....  ? Then again, his time served is what made him so much fun to watch.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7918

I hope we don’t retire anymore. It’s kinda cool that Mayasich is the only retired number. I’m glad we’re not like the Yankees and retire every legends number. 

I was thinking maybe you retire Woog’s #3, but then you gotta do Brooks, Nanne, Mariucci, Broten, Bonin, Crowley et cetera et cetera. Kind of a slippery slope. 

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 737

Posted by: @greyeagle

-- attachment is not available --

Good on the Tommies...still don't see where this is going for them from an operating revenue perspective.

4000 seats * 18 home games * $35 average ticket price (would be highest in CCHA and comparable to UMN) equals $2.5M.  You are going to fund both a men's and women's hockey program with 36 scholarships at a private school tuition price with that?  In 2020 athletic aid at Colorado College alone was $1.9M.  Those figures don't count salaries, travel, program expenses, etc, for both the men's and women's teams (because you have to support both).   And multipurpose arenas require a significant amount of work to change from hockey to basketball.   There are costs in that too.

Would they really be able to pry sponsors and big ticket donors away from the U?  Would a sponsor/VIP rather see the Gophers play Michigan or St. Thomas play Bowling Green?  I just don't see how the operating revenue will work. 

HandyNotDan and gator reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Look forward to packing that place with Maroon and Gold about once every year. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4509
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

-- attachment is not available --

Good on the Tommies...still don't see where this is going for them from an operating revenue perspective.

4000 seats * 18 home games * $35 average ticket price (would be highest in CCHA and comparable to UMN) equals $2.5M.  You are going to fund both a men's and women's hockey program with 36 scholarships at a private school tuition price with that?  In 2020 athletic aid at Colorado College alone was $1.9M.  Those figures don't count salaries, travel, program expenses, etc, for both the men's and women's teams (because you have to support both).   And multipurpose arenas require a significant amount of work to change from hockey to basketball.   There are costs in that too.

Would they really be able to pry sponsors and big ticket donors away from the U?  Would a sponsor/VIP rather see the Gophers play Michigan or St. Thomas play Bowling Green?  I just don't see how the operating revenue will work. 

I don't care one bit where they get the money.  I am happy they are building a heck of a nice looking arena.  They will be able to compete for concerts and any hockey Ridder would be able to host (NCAA tourney).  

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1392

I have a strong feeling that the ticket buyers and donors for UST have a very small overlap in the Venn Diagram with UMN ticket buyers and donors. UST has done a tremenous job raising money over the past couple decades, the Andersons are a big part of that and Minnesota doesn't really have someone who compares to that kind of $200M+ giving.

I think some of the biggest donors have been Pinky McNamara $10M, John and Nancy Lindahl $17M to athlete village, and David Larson $15M to athlete village.

SkiUMahLaw reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

The sign on the back of the rendering reads "Roll Toms"..... I have to imagine the artist made that up.  That doesn't sound like a Tommies cheer.  I've only been to one UST football game, so I am no expert.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

@eric-vegoe I am more interested in covering the expected operating revenue component.  It is one thing to pay for a capital expense (and see your name on the building!) but it's another thing to pay for the ongoing operations. 

If your hockey costs are going to be around $5M per year annually between men and women, how are you going to fund that?  Do you really see any of these big dollar donors wanting to write a $1M check per year just so they can have a hockey team (that doesn't have the donor's name on it)?  That is a huge ask. 

Even if ticket prices were the same as at Mariucci (to watch Lake Superior State instead of Michigan!), at 4000 seats (assuming a full sellout) there is still a huge annual shortfall to fund at a CCHA program level.  Keeping in mind you will have some student tickets too (which reduces the revenue) the only other solution is to cater to high dollar folks to buy VIP tickets.  But with the Wild, Wolves, and Gophers, is there room for the Tommies in that club?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

@bertogliat 

It’s their main cheer

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1892

@skiumahlaw 

I would imagine having mens bball at this arena would be an asset to that calculation. I would imagine they are a positive revenue sport, and likely less capital to operate than hockey.  St. Thomas always seems to have deep pockets when it has come to expansion of the school and athletics in the last 20 years.

To a lesser extent womens bball/hockey could help that too, but more than likely they are in the red when it’s all said and done. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Yeah, I was looking at the renders earlier today.  I thought I saw somewhere that they're not final, but even if they were, they look really nice, especially for a school that was playing DIII not long ago.

This is just an observation, but the Andersons seem to love slapping their names on buildings on the UST campus.

We'll have to see what happens with the NCAA regional sites, particularly with the proposal of condensing them from 4 sites to 2, but this looks like it'd be a great venue for that even if it would be too small to host us, UND, and maybe a few others.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

@thinkbui 

Never thought about that. Talk about a perfect site to host a regional. Pack 4,000 something fans into that place and get it humming. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@thinkbui 

Never thought about that. Talk about a perfect site to host a regional. Pack 4,000 something fans into that place and get it humming. 

Too small for a reginal with the potential of the Gophers or UND being in it. And the NCAA won't take the chance of STU making the tourney. It's the perfect size for a Section championship. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

Yet another rink that’d be good as a secondary for the WJC.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

Looks like UMD will need to win the NCHC tournament to make the NCAA tournament this year.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 344

@bertogliat 

It’s their main cheer

Can confirm Roll Toms is a main cheer of UST. Can hear it on the athletic commercials on WCCO

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

@thinkbui 

Too small for a reginal with the potential of the Gophers or UND being in it. And the NCAA won't take the chance of STU making the tourney. It's the perfect size for a Section championship. 

The thinking was more "if no one else bids..." like how ND got to host at Compton a little bit ago, but yeah I did have second thoughts while I was at Home Depot when I remembered that, apart from 2021, the NCAA stopped putting two regionals West of Niagara Falls.

Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

@eric-vegoe I am more interested in covering the expected operating revenue component.  It is one thing to pay for a capital expense (and see your name on the building!) but it's another thing to pay for the ongoing operations. 

If your hockey costs are going to be around $5M per year annually between men and women, how are you going to fund that?  Do you really see any of these big dollar donors wanting to write a $1M check per year just so they can have a hockey team (that doesn't have the donor's name on it)?  That is a huge ask. 

Even if ticket prices were the same as at Mariucci (to watch Lake Superior State instead of Michigan!), at 4000 seats (assuming a full sellout) there is still a huge annual shortfall to fund at a CCHA program level.  Keeping in mind you will have some student tickets too (which reduces the revenue) the only other solution is to cater to high dollar folks to buy VIP tickets.  But with the Wild, Wolves, and Gophers, is there room for the Tommies in that club?

Will UST Hockey revenues cover the expenses?  I would assume they would be happy to break even.  I think a similar exercise would lead us to doubt the profitability of most D1 hockey teams. ( I assume the vast majority are not profitable but I don't have the data to back that up) 

For what its worth, see the link below for avg attendance & capacity of D1 Hockey teams. Looks like a 4,000 arena with 75%+ attendance would get them to be an "average" D1 Hockey program with regards to ticket sales. Seems reasonable, but my guess is basketball would be the bigger money maker, especially if they can get in the NCAA tourney via winning the Summit league one day. 

D1 Teams Arena Attendance Arena Capacity
Median 2,496 4,102
Avg 3,023 4,655

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Looks like UMD will need to win the NCHC tournament to make the NCAA tournament this year.

Same with Nodak. What a time to be alive. 

gopherfun83 reacted

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Makes UND's blown lead against WMU that much bigger, doesn't it?  They probably would have needed to win 5 of 6 against the three NCHC teams that are currently in position to earn at-large bids in the second half for the slim chance to get an at-large bid themselves, so that's no longer in reach.

gopherfun83 reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

@thinkbui 

The women’s side has NCAA games that are played at Ridder.  This arena could host just fine.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

@bertogliat 

It’s their main cheer

Can confirm Roll Toms is a main cheer of UST. Can hear it on the athletic commercials on WCCO

I clearly had no idea…..that people listened to WCCO radio.  

I remember staying at my grandma’s house when my parents would go out of town and I’d wake up at 5 am to her blasting WCCO and smoking cigarettes.  That was 40 years ago and I don’t think I’ve thought about it since except maybe to listen to an odd sporting event when I wasn’t near a TV.  But that’s been a while too.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

The women’s side has NCAA games that are played at Ridder.  This arena could host just fine. 

Women yes, but not the Men.  The arenas in Sioux Falls (10,000) and Fargo (6,000) are full in that's in Sioux Falls and Fargo. UST would be the prefect place for high school sections, but might be a stretch for NCAA regionals.  They would have no problem feeling the place to the rafters if either UND, Gophers or UST play. I doubt Mankato, UMD and SCSU would be sellouts, but close. And maybe the NCAA would be fine with that.  Filling a 4,000 seat arena, leaving many fans out and not have to worry about a 6,000 to 10,000 seat arena.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

I would think the bar is extraordinarily high and probably some combination of being high on the all time scoring list, winning national titles, and Hobey Baker or other national award winner.  Minimum.  

If Patrick Micheletti could have stayed out of the penalty box.....  ? Then again, his time served is what made him so much fun to watch.

The thing about Pat’s penalties is that a lot of them fell in the ‘selfish penalty’ category.  He just couldn’t let something go.  

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

I like the idea of supporting a program that retires no numbers at all. It's the name on the front of the jersey, not the back!!

If they want to do something special, beyond the All America Mural they have already, they can display notable jerseys on a wall of fame.

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden

@sufferingsotafan Good thinking on this.  A couple more thoughts:

In college hockey, many schools sponsor only D1 hockey-- SCSU/UMD/CC/MSUM/BSU come to mind locally, and going out east you get Clarkson, Northern Mich, MTU, LSSU, St. Lawrence, etc.  It is a different calculation for revenues when it is the only major sport the school has versus UST which has a B1G school and 5 major professional sports teams in its backyard.

Many schools will use a special student fee specifically to fund athletics.  I know this is the case at SCSU and UMD for example, where students pay a certain percentage of tuition additional to fund intercollegiate sports.  This is not politically popular at many schools, for obvious reasons.

With basketball, the Summit league median expenses are about $1.3M for the men and probably about $1.1M for the women.  However, most Summit league schools are public universities, with two privates--  Oral Roberts ($1.9M for men) and Denver ($2.5M for men).  So you are probably talking at minimum of $1.7M for UST for men and $1.5M for women-- so you will need to have about $3.2M of revenue to fund basketball alone.  UST basketball has 14 home dates this year, so you would need to charge in the ballpark of $38/ticket for basketball just to break even on that alone.  That is doable but still at Gopher-like prices for basketball-- again, to see Idaho State and Oral Roberts instead of Purdue and Iowa.

And since football is nonscholarship at UST and its average home attendance is around 5500 per game, but your travel costs are significantly higher in needing to fly pretty much everywhere (except Drake), my guess is that isn't producing much revenue to offset the costs of pretty much all other sports at UST which likely operate at a shortfall. 

I can see basketball being a solid investment for UST-- I just don't see the same for hockey there.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

@skiumahlaw  I cant disagree with your suspicion that Hockey likely won't make a profit for UST. 

But, to me it would of been shocking if UST went D1 but didn't include men's and women's Hockey as part of the offering. Alumns would definitely have questioned it and their exclusion would of taken some of the buzz away from the transition.   Plus Hockey has the advantage of joining the WCHA conference for Women and the CCHA for men, which are legit conferences. The WCHA & CCHA are an easier sell vs getting UST fans up to speed with the pioneer league for football and the Summit league for the other sports.  The UST PR folks definitely highlighted the hockey piece a lot when the D1 transition was announced. 

SkiUMahLaw reacted
alignrock
(@alignrock)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 96

@skiumahlaw  I cant disagree with your suspicion that Hockey likely won't make a profit for UST. 

But, to me it would of been shocking if UST went D1 but didn't include men's and women's Hockey as part of the offering. Alumns would definitely have questioned it and their exclusion would of taken some of the buzz away from the transition.   Plus Hockey has the advantage of joining the WCHA conference for Women and the CCHA for men, which are legit conferences. The WCHA & CCHA are an easier sell vs getting UST fans up to speed with the pioneer league for football and the Summit league for the other sports.  The UST PR folks definitely highlighted the hockey piece a lot when the D1 transition was announced. 

I don't think this is allowed anymore by the NCAA (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong)...I think it's all or nothing with D1 jumps now.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

Posted by: @alignrock

I don't think this is allowed anymore by the NCAA (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong)...I think it's all or nothing with D1 jumps now.

You are right that UST couldn't of stayed D2 or D3 for select sports. But you can choose which sports you offer. For example the Tommies don't have Gymnastics or lacrosse teams.

Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 571

Supposedly, you can "play up" in 1 sport (except basketball and football) for men's and women's as long as the school sponsored the sport prior to 2011.  Not sure how Augustana is getting around that one.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

Posted by: @viking

Supposedly, you can "play up" in 1 sport (except basketball and football) for men's and women's as long as the school sponsored the sport prior to 2011.  Not sure how Augustana is getting around that one.

Because they're D2 and that rule only applies to D3. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

I was told there would be no math!!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5065
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @slap-shot

I was told there would be no math!!

I don't know that "counting to two" counts as "math"  😉

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Vote For Hobey 2023 – Nominees

I don't care about the fan voting, but how did they leave off Cooley and Snuggerud?

Page 13 / 44