295 Posts
51 Users
78 Reactions
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 541

Posted by: @jankwi01

Rank the big 10 teams based on order of finish for 2024. I got this.

1. Michigan State 

2. Minnesota 

3. Wisconsin 

4. Michigan 

5. Ohio State 

6. Penn State

7. Notre Dame

1.  Minnesota

2.  Wisconsin (assumes Levshunov leaves, otherwise Sparty.

3.  Michigan State

4.  Michigan

5.  Notre Dame

6.  Ohio State

7.  Penn State

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

Ranking Wisconsin after they jettisoned some of their non Hastings recruited players is a complete crapshoot.  Did they lose toxic players who made them play worse than their potential?  Or did they lose talented players which will result in a drop in team play?  Or both?

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5062
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @bertogliat

Ranking Wisconsin after they jettisoned some of their non Hastings recruited players is a complete crapshoot.  Did they lose toxic players who made them play worse than their potential?  Or did they lose talented players which will result in a drop in team play?  Or both?

I suspect some degree of both.  The question of course then ends up being, what does that mean for the team overall?  And I completely agree that right now, there's simply no way to know.

Overall B1G is now at the point that, from year to year, I can't be truly surprised by any team poking their head up and being really good.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 106

@steve-mn 

I think what makes me skeptical is all of these transfers will have a major increase in the level of competition. He's got 2 from the Atlantic, and 2 from the CCHA. There may be a adjustment that needs to be made. I'd expect them to start slow.

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

https://twitter.com/thefourthperiod/status/1795489628302324218?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

This has now been revised that Mike Grier has announced that they have signed Smith.  The rumor mill is since they have the #1 pick, they will take Celebrini and sign him immediately as well.  

I guess if you are going to suck, this is a good way to do it and save some $$$ that might allow you to make a great agent signing or two.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @joegopher

https://twitter.com/thefourthperiod/status/1795489628302324218?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

This has now been revised that Mike Grier has announced that they have signed Smith.  The rumor mill is since they have the #1 pick, they will take Celebrini and sign him immediately as well.  

I guess if you are going to suck, this is a good way to do it and save some $$$ that might allow you to make a great agent signing or two.

highly ideal as a gopher fan and very much what I’d expected if they got the first pick. Now we’ll see what the rest of the BC crew does

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7901

Hoping Leonard pulls a Cooley and drops BC even closer to the pack

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@maroon_and_gold 

Artyom levshunov leaning one way or the other?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

@maroon_and_gold 

Not sure. Sounding like it’s very much dependent on which team drafts him. Obviously for the Gophers sake I hope he takes his talents to the NHL😉

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

@maroon_and_gold 

Not sure. Sounding like it’s very much dependent on which team drafts him. Obviously for the Gophers sake I hope he takes his talents to the NHL😉

I’d be pretty surprised if he’s back. Maybe a team that’s a long way off has him come back to with another year on his defense, but he’s nhl ready right now on offense and is a right handed shot which will make him a very hot commodity to come in and develop there

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid 

Who would we want him to get drafted by?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid 

Who would we want him to get drafted by?

honestly pretty much anyone in the top ten who would draft him (there are some teams who probably won’t go defense). Right handed shooting defenseman are highly sought after. 

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1252

I feel like he goes to Chicago, though far from set in stone. Expecting him to be in the NHL next season though.

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bluebandit24

I feel like he goes to Chicago, though far from set in stone. Expecting him to be in the NHL next season though.

I don’t know much about Chicago and their NHL roster, but this could help our chances of keeping Rinzel longer. 

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@mikeeruzione11 wouldn't the plan be for him to leave after his junior year like Lacombe/ Faber?

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

@mikeeruzione11 wouldn't the plan be for him to leave after his junior year like Lacombe/ Faber?

Lacombe played 4 years. And I am not sure on Rinzel, the talent is definitely there. Depends on how the upcoming season goes is my guess.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@boninthebear 

Why you like Notre Dame more than Penn State/Ohio State

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

Lacombe played 4 years. And I am not sure on Rinzel, the talent is definitely there. Depends on how the upcoming season goes is my guess.

I thought LaCombe was a Junior, along with Faber, and that Johnson was the one who played 4.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @streakygopher

I thought LaCombe was a Junior, along with Faber, and that Johnson was the one who played 4.

Nope. LaCombe was a senior. Came in fall of 2019 with Johnson, Meyers, Brodzinski, Nelson etc.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Chicago will go all out to sign Rinzel at the end of this coming season.  If he stays through his junior season, he can go UFA.

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

Saw Michigan's non con schedule. Theirs looks much more fun than ours. Don't understand why they get both Mankato and St.Cloud and we get neither. They also get a trip to BU, Western Michigan and Arizona State. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Saw Michigan's non con schedule. Theirs looks much more fun than ours. Don't understand why they get both Mankato and St.Cloud and we get neither. They also get a trip to BU, Western Michigan and Arizona State. 

As a season ticket holder, thank God we don't play only Minnesota schools for our non conference schedule. Playing 2 other Mn schools a year is plenty. BTW, Michigan played the "powerhouse" schools Lindenwood and Stonehill this past season...

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@frozen4champs 

I'd like to play BU 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

@frozen4champs 

I'd like to play BU 

Well, they have played them the past 2 years...

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@frozen4champs 

Lol sure. I guess my point was I'd like to have a really good east coast team on this year's schedule and we don't get that. 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

I couldn't care less about playing MSUM or SCSU when BSU is on the schedule. Playing 1 of 3 each season is plenty enough.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

https://twitter.com/nuhockeyblog/status/1795922757919604778

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

As a season ticket holder, thank God we don't play only Minnesota schools for our non conference schedule. Playing 2 other Mn schools a year is plenty. BTW, Michigan played the "powerhouse" schools Lindenwood and Stonehill this past season...

Yes.  We know you're going to have to have the occasional cupcake if you want to maximize the number of home games.  But you want to balance that non-conference schedule with interesting/competitive teams.

Michigan last year also played Providence, @ UMass, and @ SCSU.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

@boninthebear 

Why you like Notre Dame more than Penn State/Ohio State

I think Notre Dame brings a lot back and what they lost they supplemented well in the portal.

Ohio State came on at the end of the year and could surprise.

Penn State seems like they are losing more than bringing in.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Yes.  We know you're going to have to have the occasional cupcake if you want to maximize the number of home games.  But you want to balance that non-conference schedule with interesting/competitive teams.

Michigan last year also played Providence, @ UMass, and @ SCSU.

I posted this a few weeks back. These are some some examples of some NC opponents last season and was mostly centered around east vs. west but not 100% exclusively:

• BC hosted MSU. 
  • BC played '@' Harvard and Notre Dame which I am guessing was a tournament of some sort
  • BU played @MSU 
  • BU hosted UND
  • CC hosted Union
  • Denver hosted Yale and played @ASU
  • Michigan hosted Providence, played @SCSU and played @UMASS
  • OSU hosted Princeton
  • MTU played 1 each @SLU and CLK
  • Vermont hosted UST
  • UMD hosted NMU and played @COR 
  • I assume many of these have/had return trips

I'm not saying it's easy but a lot of other programs have figured it out.  

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@boninthebear 

I guess I'm not optimistic with them. They lose slaggert, Monaghan, Bavaro and the older janicke brother. They only scored 100 goals as a team and those 4 accounted for 49 of those. I think they have some young guys who can be good but none of them popped. I thought Brian Bischel was the best goalie in the conference the past 2 years, I think he will be hard to replace. Owen Say didn't put up great numbers at mercyhurst I think he is a downgrade. So essentially you have a team that can't score with a worse goalie than what they had last year not a good combination.

Ohio state ended the year strong but they lost a good chunk of what made the run. Holiday went pro, thesing went pro, brickey graduated. The goalie graduated as well I'm not quite sure they will be better but I like them more than Notre Dame.

Penn State lost some 5th years to the portal which makes me curious about if guys like playing for Penn State right now. The goalie Arseni Sergeyev was actually pretty solid at Uconn in Hockey East without a lot of help. I could see him elevating them to middle of the pack. Aiden Fink is also one of the best forwards in the big ten imo.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

@boninthebear 

I guess I'm not optimistic with them. They lose slaggert, Monaghan, Bavaro and the older janicke brother. They only scored 100 goals as a team and those 4 accounted for 49 of those. I think they have some young guys who can be good but none of them popped. I thought Brian Bischel was the best goalie in the conference the past 2 years, I think he will be hard to replace. Owen Say didn't put up great numbers at mercyhurst I think he is a downgrade. So essentially you have a team that can't score with a worse goalie than what they had last year not a good combination.

Ohio state ended the year strong but they lost a good chunk of what made the run. Holiday went pro, thesing went pro, brickey graduated. The goalie graduated as well I'm not quite sure they will be better but I like them more than Notre Dame.

Penn State lost some 5th years to the portal which makes me curious about if guys like playing for Penn State right now. The goalie Arseni Sergeyev was actually pretty solid at Uconn in Hockey East without a lot of help. I could see him elevating them to middle of the pack. Aiden Fink is also one of the best forwards in the big ten imo.

I like both Danny Nelson and Blake Biondi.  Those two will center the top 2 lines.  Nelson will take a big jump this year. Ian Murphy is experienced and produced albeit against lower competition. 

In terms of goaltending I view Notre Dame a lot like Wisconsin now.  The way they play it’s easier to have high level goaltending.

Agree on Fink, but all their transfers out is a big red flag to me.

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @steve-mn

https://twitter.com/nuhockeyblog/status/1795922757919604778

This is a really unique building that I have been to twice.  Lots of history, including being the original home arena for the Bruins and the Celtics.  I know it has been literally falling apart on the last few years, and they haven't let people sit upstairs for the last couple of years due to safety concerns. 

It will be interesting to see where the displaced teams will be play while they do the tear-down and construct the new facility.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Also, I found yesterday that all 4 of the Boston teams played their home games there from 1918 to the mid 50s

ReplyQuote

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1880

I think it was the first indoor rink in the US. It's unfortunate they couldn't do a better job keeping it up. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

It is well over 100 years old at this point, and, I believe they were having issues with the foundation settling weirdly.  They're building on the same site is the plan, but I suspect modern construction won't have the same issues.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

• Ohio state released its non con schedule. Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, AIC, Lindenwood and Princeton. I think they could build to something good early. 

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

• Ohio state released its non con schedule. Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, AIC, Lindenwood and Princeton. I think they could build to something good early. 

That’s a trap.  Even if the win all of those they will need a very strong showing in the BIG for Pairwise.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

I dislike ours just a bit less now. 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2114

Posted by: @slap-shot

I dislike ours just a bit less now. 

So Stonehill was not available?

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1252

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 877
Post on old board: 5335

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Good for Grant perhaps, bummer for NMU on the timing.  

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Did he feel the pressure caving in and jump ship?

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 6069

If he becomes a head coach at an AHL team, is he failing upwards?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1800505617632887201

Big Ten hockey coming to Wrigley? Interesting

ReplyQuote
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Gophers are the only B1G team not mentioned for a possible game.

ReplyQuote
alignrock
(@alignrock)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 96

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Gophers are the only B1G team not mentioned for a possible game.

Good...IMO

The stadium bit is SO stale at this point.

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

@alignrock Maybe so, but a trip to Chicago is always a great time, especially for a road sporting event.

I was at the game at Soldiers Field in 2013 and had a blast.  A game a Wrigley would be even better.  Riding the train with rival fans would be interesting.

I was also at a Vikings game at the old Soldiers Field when Moss (a rookie?) made a late TD catch to win the game (iirc).  Was an awesome day....except for the part where we were followed for several blocks by pissed off Bears fans yelling at us.  Bars were great though.  Great town!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6