187 Reactions
36.6 K Views
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2777
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @the-rube

If he's not gone, he will be. His fate was sealed after signing Hawk last year. 

That and his umpteen drops every time he played.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3616
Post on old board: 30840

He is an unrestricted free agent. 2022 was the last year of his rookie deal.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8504
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @streakygopher

If he's not gone, he will be. His fate was sealed after signing Hawk last year. 

That and his umpteen drops every time he played.

When he was healthy enough to play. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Schefter reporting Patrick Peterson reached an agreement with the Steelers.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Cam Dantzler claimed off waivers by Washington.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8109
Post on old board: 18942

He was of a different era and yet while perhaps not one of a kind, he was our one of a kind. 

I was born in '67 and as such he is the Minnesota Vikings to me. Just as I'm sure there kids today that want to be Cousins, Cook or JJ, when I was a kid I thought every QB should wear #10, every RB 44, every WR 81... 

He never won a SB but my goodness how many people would love to have worn all the shoes he did? ffs a 3-sport athlete in college that played for the Lakers, and yet he main his name in the NFL? 

My grandfather, dad and an uncle had personal ties to Jocko Nelson from his time at Gustavus. From that I got to meet Bud at an event in 1977 just a few months before my grandfather died. I was 9 and got to shake his hand. 

I honestly haven't been enamored with sports figures for a very very long time. But I'll always remember that handshake as corny as it sounds. 

RIP

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Frankly for his era, I don't care the about the title pedigree, or the success of winning/losing...the style and value one brought forth, in no particular order: 
Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, Grant. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Sounds like Kendricks is signing with the Chargers

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13621
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1635450782379065344

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

MN ain't messing around. If one believes the 1-year rumors about Flores, they are going ALL OUT on the rebuild on the run aka "competitive rebuild" vs "complete rebuild." 

I honestly can't remember this many moves this quickly. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Dalvin Tomlinson goes to the Browns. That one hurts.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4703
Post on old board: 12555

MN ain't messing around. If one believes the 1-year rumors about Flores, they are going ALL OUT on the rebuild on the run aka "competitive rebuild" vs "complete rebuild." 

I honestly can't remember this many moves this quickly. 

Well….it is time to start acquiring players.  How many quality free agents can we realistically expect in one off season?

They’ve dug the the hole.  Now it’s time to fill it back in.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8836

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

So no extension is likely correct? Does this type of move punt any cap "penalties" onto the 2024 season?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

So no extension is likely correct? Does this type of move punt any cap "penalties" onto the 2024 season?

From the article (with update)

In addition to creating cap space, the restructuring could lower Cousins’ salary for the 2023 season and make it easier for another team to absorb his contract in a trade. There’s no sign at present that the Vikings are considering anything other than getting compliant with the salary cap, however.

UPDATE 1:53 p.m. ET: Albert Breer of SI.com reports that Cousins’ salary is unchanged and that the restructure only involves converting the roster bonus. Two more void years have been added to the contract to further spread out the cap hit.

His contract was already set up to have cap hits in 2024 and 2025. This deal adds 2026 and 2027 to that. It is currently set to be $28.5 million next year, $10.25mil in 2025, and then $4mil each in 2026 and 2027. (This is all based on the assumption that he does not sign an extension).

This rework drops his cap hit from 36.25 million to 20.5 million this year. 

While $28.5 million in cap hit next year will be rough, if they are rebuilding the QB with a rookie QB the overall cost of the QB room would not be more expensive than it already is in 2024. The added void years also provides a framework of a potential extension. This is a similar move to what the Falcons did before they traded Matt Ryan and the Rams did before they traded Jared Goff.

They will also likely try to do a similar deal with Brian O'Neill and potentially Harrison Smith.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4703
Post on old board: 12555

Are they trying to be competitive this year and bomb next year?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1635798585064431616

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4232
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1635798585064431616

I was kinda hoping they would look to draft a kicker. A guaranteed deal prolly precludes that. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1635824631981522946?s=20

Good addition. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/SKORNorth/status/1636172537414516764

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1636413960600666123

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1636413960600666123

sigh….

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I may be in the minority here on this but I love that move. His pass coverage ability is certainly not what it used to be but he's still extremely smart and can definitely play a hybrid nickel spot in a Brian Flores aggressive defense. His blitzing ability as a safety is still very good and Flores loves to bring all sorts of pressure.

Plus it gives the team some time to let Cine get healthy early in the year.

The Rube reacted
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

If Smith is playing nickel we are having major injury issues 

HandyNotDan reacted

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

If Smith is playing nickel we are having major injury issues 

Hybrid nickel meaning 3 CBs, 3 safeties and 1 LB. He's obviously not a nickel CB.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5063
Post on old board: 28736

We could have found someone cheaper who can blitz and be a step behind in coverage. 

Whatever I will trust Flores but meh.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

I may be in the minority here on this but I love that move. His pass coverage ability is certainly not what it used to be but he's still extremely smart and can definitely play a hybrid nickel spot in a Brian Flores aggressive defense. His blitzing ability as a safety is still very good and Flores loves to bring all sorts of pressure.

Intangibles, also. He's a leader. Locker room cohesiveness. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

With PP gone we will have a very young secondary other than Smith 

The Rube reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1368
Post on old board: 5547

Per Mark Rosen on KFAN today there will be a public Memorial at USBank stadium on May 21 for Bud Grant

Aloha!

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Yawn.  

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

U.S Bank stadium needs 280 million dollars in maintenance and upgrades 

https://m.startribune.com/report-us-bank-stadium-will-need-280-million-in-maintenance-and-upgrades-in-coming-decade/600263543/

Aloha!

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

It's not even 10 years old. ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Let's hear it for The People's Stadium! 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

It's not even 10 years old. ? 

It's not that unusual sadly...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1642602138726531074

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1929
Post on old board: 8686

Oh boy.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I wouldnt trade for him unless we give up literally nothing.  And neither will they.

Trey Lance was one of the dumbest draft picks in the modern NFL.  The guy proved nothing in college and somehow convinced scouts he should be a Top draft choice.  Good for him...but yeesh.

gator reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I wouldnt trade for him unless we give up literally nothing.  And neither will they.

Trey Lance was one of the dumbest draft picks in the modern NFL.  The guy proved nothing in college and somehow convinced scouts he should be a Top draft choice.  Good for him...but yeesh.

Only way I trade for him is if its a 3rd rounder or less. Because at this point he's not much different than taking a mid-round flyer on a QB with some question marks in the draft.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1195

Posted by: @handyman

Agree.  I wouldn't give up more than about a 7th round pick for him.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

This shows how little I pay attention to pro sports these days. My first reaction was, "cool" because I knew of as a big name. Had no idea he's been a bust. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

This shows how little I pay attention to pro sports these days. My first reaction was, "cool" because I knew of as a big name. Had no idea he's been a bust. 

I mean technically he isn't a bust, he just hasn't really played because he was too raw and then got injured.  Truth is though he is set up to fail because he hasn't got the big game experience to really justify being drafted where he was.  He started 17 games total in 3 years at NDSU and only 1 of those was his last season because of COVID.  The year prior NDSU was 16-0 and he had a very good season but not worthy of being drafted #3.  San Fran mortgaged the future on him and now realize they are completely screwed.

If we have multiple 3rd round picks I would give one up for him maybe because we won't need him to play so he could spend another year learning to play in KOC's system but otherwise I would not go higher than 4th round.  San Fran deserves to get fleeced for being stupid enough to give up 3 first round picks for someone that raw (that was helped by a system that dominates at that level) from a lower division because of measurables.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1929
Post on old board: 8686

I'm not a huge Trey Lance expert but I feel as if it's a bad omen when a team wants to trade their #3 overall pick.  Maybe because I just lived this as a Bears fan.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

An interesting read about the draft debacle from a few years ago.

https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/1650472256349552640

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

NFL Draft starts tonight with round 1, rounds 2-3 tomorrow, 4-7 Saturday.

Vikings currently select 23, 87, 119, 158, and 211.

Will be really interesting to see what they do tonight. If a QB slides do they move up to get one and sell a couple picks next year to do it? Do they trade down within the first round and try to get a CB/DT later in the first round and pick up another Friday pick? Or trade all the way out of the first round and accumulate more assets in the middle rounds? This is a very very deep CB draft and great RB draft as well (it sounds like Dalvin will not be on the team next year, I expect them to address a RB at some point this draft). 

My gut says they try to move down in the 1st round and pick up a second 3rd rounder, and if they don't get any takers to stay in the first round they maybe move down to early second round and get a couple extra picks (2nd, 3rd, and maybe a 5th rounder, something like that). 

There has been some steam that Anthony Richardson may tumble down the board a little, if he's available after pick 14 it may be worth the Vikings taking a gamble to move up and get him. He's a phenomenal talent that will need some polish. With the current coaching staff and Kirk still on the team this year he'd have a year to prepare and smooth out the rough edges (he had 650 rushing yards and 2600 passing yards last year and is still only 20). It seems to be the common theory that either Richardson or Levis will tumble down the board a little. Levis has a few questions as well but maybe has the best arm talent in the draft. 

Page 2 / 29