26.2 K Views
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Watching gopher legend Adam Wolitarski playing in the Grey Cup (Canada Super Bowl) for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. They’re currently up by a FG ? 

Drew?

Yeah my bad, I think I confused Adam for Andrew or something and also I can’t say I remember much of that particular season. Unfortunately Winnipeg lost ? 

rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

if we beat the BADgers that would really numb the pain this season has caused. Goldy  

IALTO

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1332
Post on old board: 5547

If the Gophers beat the Baddddgers again this year it will be the 1st time in 4 decades to win 3 in a row vs the Baddddgers

Aloha!

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1061

7-0 Gophers.  Opening drive TD.  (Yes, the Badgers are really bad)

I am ready to get hurt again...

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Thumbs up on the Gophers uniforms today.

Keep your stick on the ice...

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

Man. After the opening scripted drive we’ve struggled. 8 yards. 

And the D still can’t figure out a running QB. 

But, on the plus side ST have looked really good ?‍♂️ 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Can the stripes call wisconSIN for at least one offensive hold?!?!?!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Rau4SkiUMah reacted

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 455

PJ set the tone early with that punt at Bucky's 40 yard line

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

Is it just me or does it feel like the QB (can’t begin to try and spell his name) holds on to the ball just a half second too long when handling it off or am I just seeing things? I feel like Tanner Morgan did it as well. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

That was just too easy. At some point the defense needs to make an actual stop. 

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Fickell should be fired if Wisconsin tries to run the ball again

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13288
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1728533626101301339

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4809

3rd and 5 and PJ runs the ball at midfield. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @frozen4champs

This happens every year. 

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @jwg

Posted by: @frozen4champs

This happens every year. 

You have to pay your coach 7 million if you want someone who can recruit

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

This wasn’t the deal! Split and the Axe gosh dang it!! 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

This is embarrassing, much like the majority of this season.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4200
Post on old board: 9428

When they can’t consistently do basic things like throw accurately (bad mechanics!) or catch (bad mechanics) that seems like a coaching issue. 

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1061

Well... That's a back breaking fumble.  That'll just about salt it away.

We will probably lose 4-5 guys to the portal again.

Like the wild, I fear this team is stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future...

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Posted by: @bigbeer

When they can’t consistently do basic things like throw accurately (bad mechanics!) or catch (bad mechanics) that seems like a coaching issue. 

Or tackle, or cover receivers etc. Not on the fire PJ train yet because I think this problem goes above and beyond him but even if you think this was supposed to be a rebuild year they should at least be bowl eligible which almost certainly isn’t going to happen.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

When the defense looks like it would have a hard time stopping a JV high school team and our QB overthrows his receivers multiple times it’s going to make for a long afternoon. Not to mention the dropped passes in critical moments of the game when any yardage would have been vital. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

The defense was playing 5-6 freshmen at times today. They’re so depleted on personnel they aren’t fielding a game ready unit. 

As much as I like Nubin on offense, he’s not the answer at running back. And Sean Tyler was an unfortunate bust. 

Athan was a four star who underperformed but wasn’t helped by drops (24+ this season) and a sub par running game the back quarter of the season. He must be better next season or we must hit the portal.

You need to admit ST isn’t good enough and get a real ST coach. Rob needs to go (but he won’t). You also need an OC from outside the program but only if PJ won’t meddle. We’ve been through 3 OC’s and the outcome is the same. It’s not the OC. 

PJ has to adapt. He cares too much about TOP and not enough about adjusting to the circumstances. I’m too lazy to look at how many times we won TOP but lost the game (today is one), but our TOP bowl would be a good one. 

If it could go wrong this season it did. It was absolutely abysmal and we still won 5 games and are one of Iowa’s only two losses. 

I’ll give PJ this season. But they have to be better next year. You don’t get multiple realignment years (his words). 

This team will likely get to go bowling due to APR and not enough 6 win teams. That’s important as this group does need the practices. 

Guess we will find out next Sunday. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

When the defense looks like it would have a hard time stopping a JV high school team and our QB overthrows his receivers multiple times it’s going to make for a long afternoon. Not to mention the dropped passes in critical moments of the game when any yardage would have been vital. 

Not to mention the fumble though by that point it was already an uphill battle. I’m not overly concerned about losing this game but the long term trajectory of this team is a bigger concern, they weren’t even in the same galaxy as Michigan or OSU this year and that’s not even getting into the more embarrassing losses. Really hope 2019 wasn’t the peak but it’s hard not to see it that way as things currently sit. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4200
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @bigbeer

Or tackle, or cover receivers etc. Not on the fire PJ train yet because I think this problem goes above and beyond him but even if you think this was supposed to be a rebuild year they should at least be bowl eligible which almost certainly isn’t going to happen.

Same here, PJ helps himself immensely by being a good recruiter but if his assistants can’t get the players to consistently do the basic core of football then let’s look at that. 

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Where is this perception that he's a good recruiter coming from?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

He’s made immense progress keeping MN players home and we have more talent than we’ve had previously with maybe Brewster excluded (but he was a disaster). 

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 6069

The defense was playing 5-6 freshmen at times today. They’re so depleted on personnel they aren’t fielding a game ready unit. 

As much as I like Nubin on offense, he’s not the answer at running back. And Sean Tyler was an unfortunate bust. 

Athan was a four star who underperformed but wasn’t helped by drops (24+ this season) and a sub par running game the back quarter of the season. He must be better next season or we must hit the portal.

You need to admit ST isn’t good enough and get a real ST coach. Rob needs to go (but he won’t). You also need an OC from outside the program but only if PJ won’t meddle. We’ve been through 3 OC’s and the outcome is the same. It’s not the OC. 

PJ has to adapt. He cares too much about TOP and not enough about adjusting to the circumstances. I’m too lazy to look at how many times we won TOP but lost the game (today is one), but our TOP bowl would be a good one. 

If it could go wrong this season it did. It was absolutely abysmal and we still won 5 games and are one of Iowa’s only two losses. 

I’ll give PJ this season. But they have to be better next year. You don’t get multiple realignment years (his words). 

This team will likely get to go bowling due to APR and not enough 6 win teams. That’s important as this group does need the practices. 

I understand that depth is going to be a problem forever at Minnesota.  Still need to have decent backups.  Every team will have injuries.  Every team will have players leaving through the portal for more playing time.  Have to find some of those worthy players.

If we got into next year with AK as the starter Kramer as the backup, I will be severely disappointed.  He has to bring in someone to either challenge AK or start over him.  I think we always call less QB runs because we're scared of getting the starter hurt and playing the backup.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

@border gopher I mean… given the issues that the athletic department as a whole clearly has we kinda have to grade on a curve. Also they said good not great.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Kramer is graduating and participated in Sr. Day, so we will have a new QB situation. We have some red shirt freshman who is our new backup I’m sure. No idea if he’s good. 

It’d be nice to hit the portal, but who comes here without a guarantee to start and AK has to bail if you do that. So, you have to know you’re improving things. 

Tough situation. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

On the positive side, if the Gophers get a bowl bid on APR (they’re the top 5 win APR team), it will almost certainly be to Detroit and on an actual football field. So, no baseball fields. Winning!

Though, no one is traveling to Detroit for an afternoon game on 12/26 (what a stupid game time). That will extend the MN doesn’t travel narrative even though we’ve traveled well the past few years. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

Nothing says Christmas vacation like Detroit!

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 6069

If either Hawaii (vs Colorado St) or UCLA (vs Cal) win, the Gophers will get a bowl. 

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @greyeagle

Nothing says Christmas vacation like Detroit!

Bertogliat reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @snowcool08

If either Hawaii (vs Colorado St) or UCLA (vs Cal) win, the Gophers will get a bowl. 

MN relying on luck and odds is never good. Just look at the coin toss this year. Lost the last four in a row in a crazy well below 50/50 outcome for the season. 

And, who could forget UMD hockey 2018. Gopher hockey was assured a NCAA tourney bid. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4809

Lots of good points made here. Pretty much spot on. I would just emphasize two points that need to be addressed this offseason:

1. The special teams play is egregious (make a coaching change)

2.  Athan has been a huge disappointment (get some competition in the QB room)

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3560
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @snowcool08

UCLA got spanked

And now this

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1728674402240225522?s=20

Edit: Hawaii kicks a walkoff GW FG from 51 yards for the win.

Gophers are bowling.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Well I guess.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13288
Post on old board: 9626

How the standards have changed... Years ago I could understand the elation of the Gophers making a nobody cares bowl with a record of 6-6. The fact that this 5-7 team is going to a bowl is an embarrassment. I somewhat get the argument of extra practice, but that may be the only reason to do it.  I wonder if Phil gets a bonus check for going to a bowl game? To call this season anything but a major disappointment is an understatement. Phil took a team with expectations of winning the west, and a 10 game win team and delivered a dud. Obviously he isn't going to be fired, but he deserves a ton of heat for this year. I'm sure he will fire someone on his staff and shift the blame to that person and the portal.  With the new teams coming in, get used to 5-7 or 6-6 in good years, with some 4 win years mixed in.

Full disclosure-- I don't like Phil. I maybe would like him better if he toned down his vacuum cleaner salesman type BS he is constantly spewing. I compare his BS with Wacker. Wacker was over his head here, but I really think Phil can coach. Just cut the BS, win the games you are supposed to win and take the blame when you lose instead of blaming other factors. A slice of humble pie now and again would be a good start. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

I don't think anyone is satisfied with this season. The question is if the result is enough to part ways or not.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

MN does not part ways with the best coach they’ve had since Warmath after one poor season. Talk of that alone should speak to how he’s shifted expectations here. 

Mason got 10 years for doing less and was only fired after an epic bowl game debacle that lives in the record books. 

Like PJs “excuses” or not, he’s not wrong. Everything he’s said about the season is true. Now, maybe his Communications team should find a different way to talk about it but injuries, NIL, and personnel issues were real. 

Bucky Irvin left for money. No one expected Sean Tyler to drop the ball every snap, our starting RB the last 5 games wasn’t supposed to have the name Nubin. And that’s all one position. We could still get into LB and CB on defense. 

Next season had to be better. PJ knows that. 

dxmnkd316 and Greyeagle reacted
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 789

I have to believe the admin at the U put a lot of emphasis on APR.  Given the scandals this team has had in the past PJ had a bit more rope given he keeps this team on the same path of the field.  How much is the question though?

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

I disagree that Mason did less in some respects, but PJ deserves another year to see what happens next. After that all bets are off.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

They should decline any bowl game selection 

Aloha!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8306
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @gopher6

Why? Extra playing time, and (I think) more money for the school.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

@the-rube 

they had a losing season and should just hang it up and get ready for next season

Aloha!

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1340

@the-rube 

they had a losing season and should just hang it up and get ready for next season

Can you think of a better way to "get ready for next season" than to get an extra two weeks of practices?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

gator, dxmnkd316, MikeEruzione11 and 2 people reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8137

We say we want college athletes to be good students and then think it's bad that they were rewarded for do that? ? APR NUMBER ONE BABY!!!! ? 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

@the-rube 

This is the problem with the fan base. 

They don’t make the rules or determine number of bowls. Why shouldn’t they be rewarded for being a well rounded program?

I guess then the 6-6 team who this bowl would select should just not get to play? Sorry we had an odd number of 6+ win teams  

They do need to get better. 15 more practices will help that immensely. Not getting to practice in December would not help that.

Plus, better recruiting saying you’ve made bowls vs. didn’t.

dxmnkd316 and Greyeagle reacted
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1069
Post on old board: 29516

On the other hand, shut up

Karlsson and Slap Shot reacted

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3560
Post on old board: 30840

@the-rube 

Getting ready for next season by practicing every day for 2.5 weeks sounds like great preparation. So why would they decline that?

trixR4kids reacted
Page 16 / 20