109 Users
773 Reactions
37.2 K Views
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 535

Posted by: @jaykay3

Wood-Moore-Snuggerud would be a nice top line. 

How does this balance now?  I’ll make my projection- Goalie comes in (not Barto), Wood comes in, Koster returns, Nevers returns, Whipple to Juniors, we lose 2 of Pino/Strobel/Rud/Begley

Forwards:

OUT:  Nelson, Brodzinski, Michel

IN:  Pahlsson, Hendrickson, Falloon, Ziemer 

MAYBE OUT:  Nevers

MAYBE IN:  Wood

WILDCARDS:  Pino and Strobel

Even with Nevers out, if Wood wants to come in we have to bring him correct?

Defense:

OUT: Fish

IN:  Gruba

MAYBE OUT:  Koster

MAYBE IN:  Whipple

WILDCARDS:  Rud, Begley

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2457

I don’t know enough about Wood to say it would be as good as the Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud line but it’d probably be darn close. From the numbers it looks like that could potential line could be absolutely lethal. 

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 407

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I don’t know enough about Wood to say it would be as good as the Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud line but it’d probably be darn close. From the numbers it looks like that could potential line could be absolutely lethal. 

Wood is probably more talented offensively than Knies but doesn't play as hard/isn't as gritty. 

wincav and Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Posted by: @driftryder

Did Snuggerud have a nagging injury the last month or so?

Curious as to why his production dropped so much.

Yeah I think we're all wondering that. man I hope there was something wrong because if he was at 100% and his play dropped like that... yikes. that would not be good. but I think he will come back and dominate! 

IALTO

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

Posted by: @norm

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @karlsson

Posted by: @wilson34

Posted by: @bert

Posted by: @mlhouse

Posted by: @streakygopher

Begley and Rud come to mind. 

I would rather have Carl Fish back in 5th year as the 7th D than either of them.   

So don't build them up and send them on there way?  

Yes. Welcome to Division 1 athletics. It’s not show friends it’s show business. There’s a reason those two sat most of the second half of the season. Don’t even offer Fish the 5th year. Fish isn’t a regular at this level. Constantly exposed.

Despite the annoyance that was the forward group this season, the defense was seriously hindered all year. Some of that could’ve been mitigated in the portal last summer and wasn’t. We have free agency now. Let’s embrace it.

I respectfully disagree. Take a hard line like this and you’ll start getting beat on the recruiting trail eventually. Kids like coming to Bob because he’ll give you a shot. 

Fish, Rud, and Begley are not Gopher caliber players. Neither is Pino. 

I don't think Bob agrees with you on that last one.

I will steal @trixr4kids comment, "Even good coaches have blind spots".

With Jimmy returning and hopefully the top 5 defenseman coming back, this team is now ripe to grab a couple top transfers. Get Matthew Wood and a transfer goalie to compete with Airey. Get after Carter Wilkie also with the agent connection to Cooley and Faber.

Bob gets paid a lot of money to win hockey games. He should be worried about winning a national title. If he has to hurt a few feelings along the way, so be it.

trixR4kids and Wilson34 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @slap-shot

There haven't been many years where there wasn't 1 or 2 guys on a roster with remaining eligibility that were considered expendable. I'm all for replacing that type of player but the odds that every roster spot will be filled with "Gopher caliber talent" isn't all the realistic imho. 

historical outlooks aren’t super helpful now though in the portal era. There’s already 225 guys in the portal. Wilkie, Wood, Fontaine, and Tellier all would fit being the talent level people are looking at just at first glance. We will have top 9 time to offer as well as possible PP time. 

The portal era didn't just begin this year and even programs that have feasted off it had expendable players.  Also if the Gophers land a few Top 6 players that pushes someone on the roster now to Bottom 6, one of which could have "Gopher caliber talent" and decides themselves to enter the portal.

Like I said I have no issue with replacing a few of the players from the portal, but I think people need to be realistic when assuming how "easy" it is to have 23 irreplaceable players on your team even in the era of the portal.

Dcboe, HandyNotDan, trixR4kids and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @boninthebear

Even with Nevers out, if Wood wants to come in we have to bring him correct?

Absolutely yes. If it pushes someone else out, well that's the price of doing business.

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2517

I hope this is true.  It might center on the fact that the Blues probably do not have any interest in signing him for this season because it is unlikely that they make the playoffs and would burn a year on his rookie deal.  They could sign him in the offseason and start his contract in 2024-25 season.  So I am hopeful that this announcement is not premature.

But, perhaps Jimmy and Dave analyzed it and feel that he could develop better at the U than bouncing in the Blues system.  Perhaps that is true but I also think the evidence suggests that this analysis isn't necessarily true.  If you polled most true observers how many of them would see real growth out of Jimmy Snuggerud this past season?  

Blues opinion: he’s not ready for the NHL so we want him playing PP1 minutes and maybe even PKing which he will not do in the NHL or likely even the AHL now. 

the blues have been on record wanting guys to stay in college longer and have said they think Bob does a great job getting guys ready and has done a solid job with power forwards (Knies, Nelson, Lamb seems on that track). It is much to their advantage to come back keep him under control and I’d say him getting better here (we have outstanding facilities, great S&C and a much nicer travel schedule) is probably more likely here based on the role for him at the next level. 

from Snuggys side (and his dad), it seems their goal is for him to be ready for the league and to have a long career, not make the most money, and to do that sometimes means you need to put yourself in the best spot when you walk in. I could see that easily from a parents standpoint. Lastly, I think his dad has always dreamed for Jimmy to win a title and continue to develop that bond. Seems like the team was extremely close again this year (check out how rapidly Nelson’s post that he signed filled up with teammates comments) and that part is important too. It’s not just all about money/NHL goals at the end of the day

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7869

Wow. I am beyond shocked Snuggerud’s back but couldn’t be more happy. Lump me in with that group of people who were questioning his effort in the Michigan game, that wrist injury must’ve really dampened his spirits, because this shows he is incredibly committed to the program.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7869

Do we see the first 30 goal season since Potulny next year?

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

For those of us that don't pay quite as much attention to the prospects, who are the top 3 coming in next year and who might you compare them to in terms of ability as a freshman?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

There haven't been many years where there wasn't 1 or 2 guys on a roster with remaining eligibility that were considered expendable. I'm all for replacing that type of player but the odds that every roster spot will be filled with "Gopher caliber talent" isn't all the realistic imho. 

historical outlooks aren’t super helpful now though in the portal era. There’s already 225 guys in the portal. Wilkie, Wood, Fontaine, and Tellier all would fit being the talent level people are looking at just at first glance. We will have top 9 time to offer as well as possible PP time. 

The portal era didn't just begin this year and even programs that have feasted off it had expendable players.  Also if the Gophers land a few Top 6 players that pushes someone on the roster now to Bottom 6, one of which could have "Gopher caliber talent" and decides themselves to enter the portal.

Like I said I have no issue with replacing a few of the players from the portal, but I think people need to be realistic when assuming how "easy" it is to have 23 irreplaceable players on your team even in the era of the portal.

No the last part of what you’re saying I totally agree. You need some guys who are coming in knowing that they’re fourth line guys or 3rd pair defensemen. What was written above was expecting Snuggy out as well as Nevers. In which case there will be 4 spots in the “top 6” to fill. Obviously that is less now but there is still room in that top 6 talent wise to take Wood, Wilkie, etc to add some scoring. Trying to pull in scorers on a full team to push out 4th liners doesn’t work as there are then too many mouths to feed, agree with you fully there. We are also graduating a lot of size, which would be something Wood would help with which helps to diversify lines

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 768

Posted by: @idontknow

For those of us that don't pay quite as much attention to the prospects, who are the top 3 coming in next year and who might you compare them to in terms of ability as a freshman?

In my opinion (others will know more), I am most excited for Brody Ziemer- Captain of the U18 team, about a point per game, fast and a nice shot. Leo Gruba, tearing it up in the USHL, Defenseman putting up about a point per game, 21 goals in 57 games. And Erik Pahlsson, putting aside he is a Swede, JK JK, he has a really nice shot and is also tearing it up in the USHL. 

I am actually really excited about the group coming in. Some others seem to not be, but to me some of these guys can make immediate differences.

ReplyQuote

stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

No the last part of what you’re saying I totally agree. You need some guys who are coming in knowing that they’re fourth line guys or 3rd pair defensemen. What was written above was expecting Snuggy out as well as Nevers. In which case there will be 4 spots in the “top 6” to fill. Obviously that is less now but there is still room in that top 6 talent wise to take Wood, Wilkie, etc to add some scoring. Trying to pull in scorers on a full team to push out 4th liners doesn’t work as there are then too many mouths to feed, agree with you fully there. We are also graduating a lot of size, which would be something Wood would help with which helps to diversify lines

1000% agree with needing size and Wood fits the bill nicely.  I think they could use one more even on top of Wood that brings Knies like grit.  Do any of the incoming Freshman have that style of game?  

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13216
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

I'm shocked. It is always a pleasant surprise when a player I assumed that is gone comes back. That said, he needs to turn it up a notch next year....

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

1000% agree with needing size and Wood fits the bill nicely.  I think they could use one more even on top of Wood that brings Knies like grit.  Do any of the incoming Freshman have that style of game?  

Ziemer is a pitbull, plays really hard and should be a fan favorite. Not saying he will be as good, but he's kind of like a Kyle Rau type in that he's not a great skater and isn't overly skilled but will find a way to score points in college. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

Ziemer is a pitbull, plays really hard and should be a fan favorite. Not saying he will be as good, but he's kind of like a Kyle Rau type in that he's not a great skater and isn't overly skilled but will find a way to score points in college. 

Perfectly fine, you have to have some grease in the gears.  Need those guys that are always hungry for it to go get the puck so we can send wave after wave at 'em.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @boats

In my opinion (others will know more), I am most excited for Brody Ziemer- Captain of the U18 team, about a point per game, fast and a nice shot. Leo Gruba, tearing it up in the USHL, Defenseman putting up about a point per game, 21 goals in 57 games. And Erik Pahlsson, putting aside he is a Swede, JK JK, he has a really nice shot and is also tearing it up in the USHL. 

I am actually really excited about the group coming in. Some others seem to not be, but to me some of these guys can make immediate differences.

I think there is a good chunk of us that are excited about the recruiting class coming in. Even Hendrickson is having a great season in the USHL. But IMO you nailed the top 3. Pahlsson, Ziemer, and Gruba.

Boats reacted
ReplyQuote
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

that wrist injury must’ve really dampened his spirits

Was his wrist banged up? I hadn't heard.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 535

I think there is a good chunk of us that are excited about the recruiting class coming in. Even Hendrickson is having a great season in the USHL. But IMO you nailed the top 3. Pahlsson, Ziemer, and Gruba.

Let’s just say it’s a good sign when 4th best incoming played 2 years on USNTDP, followed by ~1 ppg in USHL this year, and was a 4th round NHL draft pick.

MikeEruzione11 and Boats reacted
ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

yeah there was some mention of a minor wrist injury I think Bob had mentioned

Driftryder reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

yeah there was some mention of a minor wrist injury I think Bob had mentioned

When he was on the Joe Smith podcast, his right wrist had a brace of some sort on it. I don't remember the exact date of the podcast, but was late in the year. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 448

Dcboe, trixR4kids, Driftryder and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Let’s just say it’s a good sign when 4th best incoming played 2 years on USNTDP, followed by ~1 ppg in USHL this year, and was a 4th round NHL draft pick.

i think the being down on it is the level of a true top end (meaning top 10 pick talent or multiple first rounders) being in there because of Eiserman and being spoiled with having Cooley recently coupled with so many more top tier talents signing with the NCAA recently (Fantilli and the rest of the Michigan crew, Celebrini, the BC trio). Lots of ways to get production and this group is at least going to have gotten some good seasoning with good production against top tier talent. I’m optimistic that they will all contribute/produce some points, though I don’t think there’s a game breaker in there 

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1230

Cannot imagine a better news day in recent memory if this holds true.

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level

i think the being down on it is the level of a true top end (meaning top 10 pick talent or multiple first rounders) being in there because of Eiserman and being spoiled with having Cooley recently coupled with so many more top tier talents signing with the NCAA recently (Fantilli and the rest of the Michigan crew, Celebrini, the BC trio). Lots of ways to get production and this group is at least going to have gotten some good seasoning with good production against top tier talent. I’m optimistic that they will all contribute/produce some points, though I don’t think there’s a game breaker in there 

Not sure if you need a game breaker in that group if you're bringing in Wood and returning Snuggerud. 

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

No one on here is thinking like that. Not thinking top 6, thinking top 9. Teams are deep with 9 now. Especially at a place like Minnesota. Wasn’t Nelson’s line considered on paper the 3rd line?

It’s actually quite easy. Despite the Snuggy news, and the all but confirmed Wood coming in, you can still get one more quality forward for your top 9. If someone wants to leave because of it (like a Kurth), let him.

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11260
Post on old board: 21741

If I had one piece of advise for Snuggy it would be to start playing to his size.  I'm always surprised when I see he's 6'1/6'2 since he doesn't seem to pay like he's that big.   If he can expand his game, even just a little, he will have a huge year and a nice contract down the road.

Like he'd  ever ask me for advise... 🤣 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Not sure if you need a game breaker in that group if you're bringing in Wood and returning Snuggerud. 

I think the class looks solid on paper but not spectacular. Personally very excited for what we tentatively have for next year

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2147
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @bluebandit24

If he Cooley's us, I am going to throw up

Of course we were all stung by Cooley (I hold no ill will though), but with the familial connections (and rumored push from dad to return) plus presumably some NIL cash, more difficult to see with Snuggy. *Knocks on wood

I was surprised Cooley came back seeing as he was a top 3 pick and top 3 or so NCAA player. With Snuggy I don’t think it’s as surprising but I get why ppl are cautiously optimistic.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Let's get the Wood signing out of the way. Michigan Hockey is following him now on insta. I don't want this to be a Hagens situation all over again..Seal the deal...The longer this drags out the more nervous I get...

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/1775256670110621914

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Good news on Snuggerud and, imo, the right decision for all parties concerned. If he had an injury this give a chance for that to heal and see a full year of him. If it wasn't an injury then he has another year to develop his game to where it needs to be.

I am glad it wasn't quitting on the team because he was mentally moved on already.

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2109

I'd just as soon they didn't declare it "Official" that he's back. No one is officially back anymore.

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 388

I hope this is true.  It might center on the fact that the Blues probably do not have any interest in signing him for this season because it is unlikely that they make the playoffs and would burn a year on his rookie deal.  They could sign him in the offseason and start his contract in 2024-25 season.  So I am hopeful that this announcement is not premature.

But, perhaps Jimmy and Dave analyzed it and feel that he could develop better at the U than bouncing in the Blues system.  Perhaps that is true but I also think the evidence suggests that this analysis isn't necessarily true.  If you polled most true observers how many of them would see real growth out of Jimmy Snuggerud this past season?  

Blues opinion: he’s not ready for the NHL so we want him playing PP1 minutes and maybe even PKing which he will not do in the NHL or likely even the AHL now. 

the blues have been on record wanting guys to stay in college longer and have said they think Bob does a great job getting guys ready and has done a solid job with power forwards (Knies, Nelson, Lamb seems on that track). It is much to their advantage to come back keep him under control and I’d say him getting better here (we have outstanding facilities, great S&C and a much nicer travel schedule) is probably more likely here based on the role for him at the next level. 

from Snuggys side (and his dad), it seems their goal is for him to be ready for the league and to have a long career, not make the most money, and to do that sometimes means you need to put yourself in the best spot when you walk in. I could see that easily from a parents standpoint. Lastly, I think his dad has always dreamed for Jimmy to win a title and continue to develop that bond. Seems like the team was extremely close again this year (check out how rapidly Nelson’s post that he signed filled up with teammates comments) and that part is important too. It’s not just all about money/NHL goals at the end of the day

Based on the statement of the Blues GM, I think the Blues were not really interested in having him sign.  There is a lot of value in maximizing the games of the entry level contract.

But you really did not answer the question I asked:  did you see any real growth out of Jimmy Snuggerud this past season?  I get he was no longer playing with Logan Cooley and Matthew Kneis so perhaps his scoring production is down because of that.  But did he improve in other areas of his game?  Brock Faber's skating improved every season at the U, did Jimmy's?  Did he improve his 200 foot game?  

Take my opinion for what it is worth, but I saw a guy who regressed and disappeared for extended periods of time against the level of competition we needed him the most.  I saw a lot of lazy play, a lot of bad shots that he appeared to shoot just because he was frustrated he wasn't getting enough shots, and a lot of frustration on the ice.

If he is coming back to develop and win a national championship, it is there for him and it starts with him.  I am excited as a Gopher fan because even if I am criticizing him a bit above, he is still a very good to great player that still has tremendous upside.  If he is not driven to improve the other non-shooting elements of his game, I think he is better off signing a contract for the 2024-25 season and playing at the professional level without the distractions of college life.  But it might not even be his decision so I hope he is motivated to win next season.  

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8059

Snuggy staying another year makes the comments that he quit on the team comical.

Just because a player is struggling some doesn't mean he has quit on the team.

Snuggy is a 19 year old player who up until this point has focused a lot on being a shot first player who is use to be on a line that has the puck a lot. This season was very different with no Cooley & Knies. The line didn't have the puck as much so other areas of his game that aren't as good as his shot showed up more.

A lot of offensive first players go through this it is not unusual. He will likely be better next season and so will Moore. The development of them together we be fun to watch.

This decision is a good indication that Snuggy and the Blues believe that being here is a good place for his development.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Schlossman insinuated that NIL money was part of it. Snuggy seems to be the #1 hockey guy on Dinkytown. Wonder how much the NIL deal was part of it. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5506

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Let's get the Wood signing out of the way. Michigan Hockey is following him now on insta. I don't want this to be a Hagens situation all over again..Seal the deal...The longer this drags out the more nervous I get...

IIRC, this is the account that told people to pump the brakes on the Bump to MN rumors, too. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

During the season I said multiple times I thought Snuggy might come back for another season yet people kept saying it was a fore gone conclusion he would leave after the season.

Since nobody wanted to believe there was a chance I brought up multiple reasons why he and/or the Blues could decide that it is best for him to stay. Apparently what I was saying had merit.

Once in awhile I know what I am talking about. 😉 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @karlsson

IIRC, this is the account that told people to pump the brakes on the Bump to MN rumors, too. 

A couple of days ago he said Minnesota was the HEAVY favorite. Now, he lists Mn first, but "in the mix". I wish he would have started with in the mix first...

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5915
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Snuggy staying another year makes the comments that he quit on the team comical.

Majority of people on social media are comical. The stuff people come up with and say is mind boggling. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5915
Post on old board: 16243

During the season I said multiple times I thought Snuggy might come back for another season yet people kept saying it was a fore gone conclusion he would leave after the season.

Since nobody wanted to believe there was a chance I brought up multiple reasons why he and/or the Blues could decide that it is best for him to stay. Apparently what I was saying had merit.

Don't pat yourself too much on the back around here... 😉

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Schlossman insinuated that NIL money was part of it. Snuggy seems to be the #1 hockey guy on Dinkytown. Wonder how much the NIL deal was part of it. 

So NIL is killing college sports? 😉  

Is Snuggy staying fit that narrative? 🤔 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Based on the statement of the Blues GM, I think the Blues were not really interested in having him sign.  There is a lot of value in maximizing the games of the entry level contract.

But you really did not answer the question I asked:  did you see any real growth out of Jimmy Snuggerud this past season?  I get he was no longer playing with Logan Cooley and Matthew Kneis so perhaps his scoring production is down because of that.  But did he improve in other areas of his game?  Brock Faber's skating improved every season at the U, did Jimmy's?  Did he improve his 200 foot game?  

Take my opinion for what it is worth, but I saw a guy who regressed and disappeared for extended periods of time against the level of competition we needed him the most.  I saw a lot of lazy play, a lot of bad shots that he appeared to shoot just because he was frustrated he wasn't getting enough shots, and a lot of frustration on the ice.

If he is coming back to develop and win a national championship, it is there for him and it starts with him.  I am excited as a Gopher fan because even if I am criticizing him a bit above, he is still a very good to great player that still has tremendous upside.  If he is not driven to improve the other non-shooting elements of his game, I think he is better off signing a contract for the 2024-25 season and playing at the professional level without the distractions of college life.  But it might not even be his decision so I hope he is motivated to win next season.  

playing as “the guy” and focal point is a massive step up in challenge (just look at how the PK for teams shaded to him constantly). Playing with Knies and Cooley did that all the time he was on the ice. Early in the year he was dominating at times. Unsure if he wore down or what occurred but he looked great to start the year. His skating, physicality in puck retrieval, and defense absolutely need work but I do think he made some strides in creating his shot (he had to work way harder to get shots this year). I think people are way too hard on him for the year he had because his expectations to be a top 3 Hobey guy were misguided. He definitely didn’t get “worse”, life is just a hell of a lot harder when you’re not playing with a veteran Knies who walked right into Torontos lineup and Cooley who was one of the most dominant college players in the country last year 

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5013
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @greyeagle

At least we're staying realistic about things.

Although, I do agree with what your advice should be.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4458
Post on old board: 12555

So NIL is killing college sports? 😉  

Is Snuggy staying fit that narrative? 🤔 

It helps the Blue Blood or the schools that have deep pocket donors.  And even though it may be helping with Snuggerud this year, it hurt the U last year by convincing Eiserman decommit.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @gator

Don't pat yourself too much on the back around here... 😉

Yeah my arm hurts now. 😀 

It works both ways. I remember last year near the end of the regular season I said multiple times I thought it would be good for Barto to play a full game to get him some work in case he was needed in the NCAA tournament (such as Closer getting hurt in a game).

Coach never did this but he did put Barto in during the 3rd period when we were way ahead and Barto almost immediately gave up a goal so I posted "Whose idea was it to put Barto in? I'm going to have to have a talk with coach about this" in order to poke fun at myself.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2147
Post on old board: 15139

I get he was no longer playing with Logan Cooley and Matthew Kneis so perhaps his scoring production is down because of that.

I think that explains a lot of what we saw, combined with the fact that he’s a bit one dimensional and needs to work on other parts of his game. Dude is like a more talented Brodzinski in that he has a great shot but doesn’t consistently create time and space for himself like an elite player (ie your typical high end center or the occasional Dman like Makar or Gostisbehere) and isn’t an elite passer or visionary. Obviously his skill in forechecking and puck retrieval needs work too, Knies did a lot of the heavy lifting in that area. 

This past year without either of them he just didn’t see as many opportunities and probably forced more shots because of it, and IIRC some of the interview with Motzko he was told to shoot more. Moore has a ton of upside but there were more growing pains for him than Cooley, his vision/passing just wasn’t as good and he was easier to defend. The third person on that line wasn’t realistically going to match Knies whether it was Lamb, Kurth, or whoever. 

Idk, I think too often ppl blame different results on effort when there’s often a simpler explanation. People here have probably played team sports and seen first hand the difference of losing a high end player and everything becoming more difficult. Also losing guys on the blue line meant breakouts weren’t as clean and they didn’t play with the same confidence and freedom when they got the puck into the offensive zone. Combine all these things and it not only explains his decreased production but the team’s as a whole.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Bottom line if the Blues didn't think playing here is good for Snuggy's development do you think he would still be here?

They would push for him to play else where.

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @greyeagle

If I had one piece of advise for Snuggy it would be to start playing to his size.  I'm always surprised when I see he's 6'1/6'2 since he doesn't seem to pay like he's that big.   If he can expand his game, even just a little, he will have a huge year and a nice contract down the road.

I just saw Snuggy post on social media "That after consulting with my family, advisors, and GPL I have decided to stay at the U where I will look to start playing to my size." 😲 

BTW, I agree with your thoughts. I believe that often time skilled players take longer to learn how to use their size because their skill is so alluring to them. 

Dcboe, Golden FE Ranger, Eric Vegoe and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 27