87 Users
699 Reactions
56.4 K Views
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 388

@upnorthkid 

In the history of the Big Ten conference there has never been as dominate of a conference performance.  

The 2022-23 Gopher team won the conference with 19 more points and 7 more wins.  The previous marks were teh 18-19 OSU team that won the conference by 9 points and had 2 more wins than the 2nd place team.  

Dominance....   Unanimous Coach of the Year.

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @mlhouse

@upnorthkid 

In the history of the Big Ten conference there has never been as dominate of a conference performance.  

The 2022-23 Gopher team won the conference with 19 more points and 7 more wins.  The previous marks were teh 18-19 OSU team that won the conference by 9 points and had 2 more wins than the 2nd place team.  

Dominance....   Unanimous Coach of the Year.

In general, I agree with you.  However, it seems like whoever it is that votes on these things vastly prefer the Cinderella story vs. the guy that coached a repeat champ at a school that has won 6 of 10 B1G titles...

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

I wont be mad if he wins, I just dont think the numbers are as impressive as some make them out to be. (especially since Motzko owned him)  I remember when the WCHA had teams like MSU and their coaches usually didn't sniff COTY.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

Close not a finalist for the Richter award, no B1G goalie in the top 3.

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Justen close is so underrated it's criminal.

I get that the team in front of him is very good, but still. He's so solid positionally and consistently makes the big saves when called upon.

trixR4kids, Steve MN, Greyeagle and 2 people reacted
Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

Posted by: @chris-eckes

I get that the team in front of him is very good, but still. He's so solid positionally and consistently makes the big saves when called upon.

I hate to say this out loud, but when was the last time Close let in a softie?

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level

It's really interesting where teams like MSU or Notre Dame will be outside looking in while Alaska will likely be in the tournament.  Basically, they will get in with a gaudy record against the bottom feeders of the NCAA and a single win against a team under consideration (Denver).  

I get that it's all maths, but it still doesn't feel right.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7890

Posted by: @joegopher

It's really interesting where teams like MSU or Notre Dame will be outside looking in while Alaska will likely be in the tournament.  Basically, they will get in with a gaudy record against the bottom feeders of the NCAA and a single win against a team under consideration (Denver).  

Alaska isn’t home free yet. After last night’s events they’re sitting at 15 and hanging on by the skin of their teeth. 

I wonder if there are any pairwise scenarios where Alaska and MSU/ND flip and the Spartans or Irish back door themselves into the NCAA tournament (MSU is 16, ND is 17 but it’s real close). 

coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 163

@joegopher   Alaska also beat UNO, Notre Dame (split) and Western MI.  They also swept ASU, who beat the Gophers.  As a pure fan it is fun to see some of the non-traditional powers get a chance.  I sort of think of it like I look at Bball, would I rather have the second team in the Missouri Valley or Horizon League with a dominating record who they play get in, or the 9th team in the Big Ten or ACC?

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level

@coondog I think you mean they beat Northern, not Western.  I get they swept ASU and split with two team that were under consideration at some point, but it still seems odd.  Much like when ASU got in years ago.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8128

This is the difference between KRACH and Pairwise/RPI. 

KRACH 

Notre Dame 13

Michigan State 14

Cornell 15

Alaska 16

Merimack 19

Pairiwse/RPI

Cornell 12

Merrimack 14

Alaska 15

Michigan State 16

Norte Dame 17

KRACH does a better job of factoring in strength of schedule.

Strength of Schedule

Notre Dame #1

Michigan State #4

Alaska #36

Merrimack #37

Cornell #38

If the Big Ten had an 8th team Michigan State and Notre Dame would have had a better chance of making the NCAA tournament since conference games against the Gophers, Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State all top 10 teams would have been replaced with conference games against the 8th Big Ten team.

The Gophers going 5-0 against Michigan State and 3-0-1 against Notre Dame is keeping those teams out of the NCAA tournament. Michigan State and Notre Dame did well against everybody else.

If the Gophers would have let Michigan State and Notre Dame get wins against them the Big Ten would have had 6 of its' 7 teams make the tournament.

Mankato, Merrimack, and Alaska should be thanking us.

JoeGopher reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

You two are both forgetting they beat Denver too. That’s a big one. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8128

Hopefully this changes.

It sounds like Closer will be back next year.

Maybe Faber, LaCombe, Johnson, and some combination of guys off the top line leaving will cause people to focus on/realize more how good Justen is.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2524

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Alaska isn’t home free yet. After last night’s events they’re sitting at 15 and hanging on by the skin of their teeth. 

I wonder if there are any pairwise scenarios where Alaska and MSU/ND flip and the Spartans or Irish back door themselves into the NCAA tournament (MSU is 16, ND is 17 but it’s real close). 

MSU and ND are toast and have MN (as well as dropping to BG and UML for MSU and the head-to-head game ND dropped to Alaska) to thank for that

seeing where things sit now, I'm a little surprised AK still sits at 57% likely to make it per CHN bracket probability. If Merrimack wins their next game, they'll be almost assuredly locked into the 14 spot. If they were to lose after winning, it's either BU which won't hurt them or Providence who becomes a bid stealer. They lose right away and maybe that drops them to the 15, but UML has a chance to slip in

They can't catch Kato or Western. The 16 spot is already taken for sure by the AHA. 

So in reality, they need to be hoping for a whole lot of chalk everywhere. One bid stealer will go down for sure today between UNO and UND with the possibility for 2, but it's going to a real sweaty time for them. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Nothing I saw out of Notre Dame or MSU makes me think they deserve to make the tourney any more than anyone else.  I said it before they are OK teams propped up by playing in the best conference. 

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level

With Holy Cross thoroughly beating RIT today, I can only Imagine what the Whiox fans will have planned if NoDak doesn't make the tourney and the Gophers play The Crusaders in the first game in Fargo.

I suppose some of them will get at least a second wearing of the Jersey they bought years ago...

As a side note, Holy Cross and RIT are two of only 6 current NCAA teams the Gophers have a losing record against.

*Edit*. Just realized that HC will have to play the winner of Niagara/Canisius to determine who the Gophers will most likely play.

Ski U Mantra
(@ski-u-mantra)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 26

At what point do the Gophers start practicing at Ridder? Are they already? 

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

That moment when you realize Minny finished 19 pts ahead of 2nd place Michigan meanwhile Bucky only had 18 pts all year……

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

upnorthkid, Rau4SkiUMah, Greyeagle and 1 people reacted
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level

Not that it matters much at this point, but I ran a bunch of different scenarios in the PWR predictor, and as long as the Gophs beat Michigan, they are the #1 overall.  If they lose and Q wins, then Q gets the overall 1, regardless of how most of the other games fall out.  Seems that NoDak beating Omaha could be the thing that flips the PWR comparison with the Gophers.  Of course if both the Gophs and Q lose, then things pretty much stay the same.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13267
Post on old board: 9626

Wally asked Frank on the radio postgame when was the last time the Gophers had 3 20 goal scorers in the same season. Cooley needs 2 goals to get to 20 with Knies and Snuggy. I did some quick checking and I think it was 2001-02 with Taffe (34), Pohl (27) and Leopold (20).  

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Not that it matters much at this point, but I ran a bunch of different scenarios in the PWR predictor, and as long as the Gophs beat Michigan, they are the #1 overall.  If they lose and Q wins, then Q gets the overall 1, regardless of how most of the other games fall out.  Seems that NoDak beating Omaha could be the thing that flips the PWR comparison with the Gophers.  Of course if both the Gophs and Q lose, then things pretty much stay the same.

i don’t understand how it continues to change so much. All the 1s were just locked and now they’re all unlocked again. PSU OSU no longer locked at 8-9. Weird

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8294
Post on old board: 35040

One game changes two games which changes four games, that sort of thing. The comparisons, and chain reaction runs that deep in the PWR. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Posted by: @upnorthkid

i don’t understand how it continues to change so much. All the 1s were just locked and now they’re all unlocked again. PSU OSU no longer locked at 8-9. Weird

The 100% stuff was a result of a glitch that happened Sunday morning, so our lock on #1 overall among other things wasn't accurate.  It was fixed this afternoon.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

upnorthkid reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @thinkbui

Posted by: @upnorthkid

The 100% stuff was a result of a glitch that happened Sunday morning, so our lock on #1 overall among other things wasn't accurate.  It was fixed this afternoon.

ah I see. That makes sense then. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Its almost never locked until the end.  Just because the college hockey sites have their probabilities doesn't mean they have all the percentages completely correct or that things always update correctly in real time.  People put way too much stock in people not on the committee there is almost always something that can gum up the works.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

chalk with MN losing but STC beating Denver does still leave the Gophers as the 1. Same with Q not beating Harvard. Or BU beating UML instead of Merrimack. 

There's quite a bit of alternate options. Luckily we'll know a whole hell of a lot more Friday night to know where things sit heading into Saturday. Tons of permutations left, but is pretty amazing to see how far our RPI drops just by losing to Mich given where they're ranked

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Pitlick is as streaky as they come. Last year all of his goals were scored in February. This year 7/9 goals were scored in the month of Nov-17 to Dec-10. Now would be a great time for him to get hot. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635676305982144513

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1635676714469584896

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MinnesotaKnies218, upnorthkid, Greyeagle and 1 people reacted

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635677113746444289

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635676944971751424

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1635676509871517697

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1635676417567469568

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4807

Congrats to all the Gophers. Great to see them get their well earned awards. It has been an outstanding season.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

So many names being recognized and so many more that could’ve been if not for being outshadowed by their own teammates. Koster is having a phenomenal season that is going unrecognized by the awards but not by us!

Good job to everyone who one an award, and to the other half of the team that didn’t ?, there’s always next year. 

coondog and Cowgirl reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

So Matthew, Logan, Brock, Jimmy, Jackson, Justen, Luke and Ryan all get awards. That’s a third of the team lol. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

A video montage from the U.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635679703301324801

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635682271427538956

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4807

I do think Knies has a legitimate chance at the Hobey this year (assuming he is a finalist tomorrow)

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11345
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1635676714469584896

Bob as B1G coach of the year is the biggest no brainer in sports.

So I figured the B1G voters would screw it up....

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I do think Knies has a legitimate chance at the Hobey this year (assuming he is a finalist tomorrow)

If he isn't then there better not be anyone from the Big Ten unless it is Brock Faber.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2458

Oh boy, Michigan fans are really salty lol. Hate to see it. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7876
Post on old board: 18942

I would not have complained had he not won, but I said a few times Bob imho was the best choice for reasons previously noted. 

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Would anyone here prefer bischel or dobes over close? He deserved it IMO.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5054
Post on old board: 10695

And, let's not forget that a pair of Gopher Freshman tied for the scoring title:

CO-SCORING CHAMPIONS:
Logan Cooley, Fr., F, MINN (36 points)
Jimmy Snuggerud, Fr., F, MINN (36 points)

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

The Gophers owned the conference. Is their biggest gripe Knies or Faber?  Knies did lead the conference in GWG and Faber had the same +24 as Hughes.  Oh well. ? 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

The Gophers owned the conference. Is their biggest gripe Knies or Faber?  Knies did lead the conference in GWG and Faber had the same +24 as Hughes.  Oh well. ? 

I know I don't need to convince you, but let's see.  In a 24 game (72pts possible total) season, the Gophers led 2nd place Michigan (who had barely better than a .500 record with 38 pts) by 19 pts (1.5x what Michigan racked up).  Michigan, on the other hand, led the 6th place team by 4.

Slap Shot reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @steve-mn

I know I don't need to convince you, but let's see.  In a 24 game (72pts possible total) season, the Gophers led 2nd place Michigan (who had barely better than a .500 record with 38 pts) by 19 pts (1.5x what Michigan racked up).  Michigan, on the other hand, led the 6th place team by 4.

All of this is true.

It's also true that MI is a considerably bigger test for Minnesota than any other big ten team...by a long shot They were more depleted than the Gophers when they played at Yost, and the games at Mariucci were more indicative of the epic struggle these two teams are capable of. 

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I completely agree that Michigan is going to be the strongest possible test of all the B1G teams.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2458

Those delusional Wolverine fans are all upset that Knies won POTY because “fAnTilli HaD mOrE gOaLS aNd aSSisTs tHan KnIes”. Failing to understand that there is much more to POTY than just scoring. Obviously that’s a big part but, doing my best to push all bias aside, Knies is definitely a better all around player and if I had to pick one to be on my team I’m picking Knies all day. Also, (bias back in full effect) Knies isn’t a little cheap shotting punk like Mr. Fantilli. 

There were also a couple of gripes about Faber getting picked over Hughes. Again, if I’m picking a defenseman for my team there’s only one way I’m going. 

Tbf there were also a few Gopher fans saying Cooley got robbed/snubbed by not winning Rookie of the Year. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Perhaps they're not aware it is a conference award.  Fantilli didn't have more points than Knies in conference play, and Knies had 6 GWG vs. 1 for Fantilli. Plus Fantilli is a Grade A douche.

Oh well. ? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1635712493547814933

GopherPete, Steve MN, Greyeagle and 1 people reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2162
Post on old board: 15139

I get that the team in front of him is very good, but still. He's so solid positionally and consistently makes the big saves when called upon

Agreed, I said in the other thread that I think Close outplaying St Cyr was a large part of why that game was a relatively stress free win rather than a nail biter. The gophers were struggling hard much of the first period and then eventually the talent broke through. Close had some other big saves throughout the game too and Michigan State started trying too shoot the puck through the net which caused them to miss a few times on good chances. His sv% in big ten play is Wilcox levels which is crazy. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Wolverine fans gotta realize that the team that won the league by 19 points is gonna get the benefit of the doubt in a toss up with these award things. 

Page 20 / 26