87 Users
699 Reactions
56.5 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13282
Post on old board: 9626

@mlhouse My thoughts are that Cooley is likely gone as he indicated in an interview that he is not a fan of school. I think Snuggy has a good chance at returning for year 2. He can look at Knies as how much improvement he has shown and he can also be part of the leadership group next year.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1628069589664862210

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7918

@mlhouse 

I’d be shocked if Snuggerud left. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

For those wondering, according to Jess the players touched the trophy during their mini celebration.

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1627880805400735744

Just like the NHL teams that won’t physically handle the championship trophies for their respective conferences, as they have their sights set on the Stanley Cup, some teams have qualms about touching a regular season trophy. None of those superstitions were on display in Minneapolis on Monday, as several Gophers took their turn hoisting the trophy

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 388

@maroon_and_gold 

Perhaps as a later draft pick, but the 23rd pick in the NHL draft gets a guaranteed contract of about $3.2 million for three years.  Delaying a year means that his next contract is one year deferred.  

What value does Snuggy have in staying in college and deferring the money?  The kid isn't a 10-30 point scorer in his freshman year like a Sampo Rampa or Sammy Walker.  Knies scored 33 points, 1.0 per game in his freshman year and coming back was a 50-50 thing with him I think.  

Snuggerud is at 43 points in 32 games, 1.34 points per game or on a 40 game schedule 54 point season.  I think he can get better in his back check, defensive responsibilities, and general strength, but not $3.2 million worth......

I hope he comes back.  If I was his advisor I would recommend he sign though and in general I think too many kids leave early for pro hockey but there are a few guys like Cooley and Snuggerud that really do not have much more to develop at the college level.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Corey Pronman believes LaCombe and Johnson will sign.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Thats fairly obvious to most of us

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1628099917016350720

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @mlhouse

@maroon_and_gold 

Perhaps as a later draft pick, but the 23rd pick in the NHL draft gets a guaranteed contract of about $3.2 million for three years.  Delaying a year means that his next contract is one year deferred.  

What value does Snuggy have in staying in college and deferring the money?  The kid isn't a 10-30 point scorer in his freshman year like a Sampo Rampa or Sammy Walker.  Knies scored 33 points, 1.0 per game in his freshman year and coming back was a 50-50 thing with him I think.  

Snuggerud is at 43 points in 32 games, 1.34 points per game or on a 40 game schedule 54 point season.  I think he can get better in his back check, defensive responsibilities, and general strength, but not $3.2 million worth......

I hope he comes back.  If I was his advisor I would recommend he sign though and in general I think too many kids leave early for pro hockey but there are a few guys like Cooley and Snuggerud that really do not have much more to develop at the college level.

Jimmy is a Gopher through and through. Comes from a long line of Gophers as we all know. Playing for the M means a lot to him if you listen to his interviews. 

Not to mention the Blues are in no hurry to sign him and have shown patience in the past with their prospects. Jimmy, while obviously very talented, still has room to grow and develop as a player. Especially in the weight room. 

I just don’t see the rush for Jimmy. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

He also ranked the Farm Kid #21 on the free agent list. This is what he had to say about him--

21. Jaxon Nelson, C, Minnesota-Big Ten: Nelson is a big-body center who has played on both special teams for the Gophers this season and put up decent offensive totals. His skating is fine for a 6-foot-4 guy, but I wouldn’t call him a quick-twitch skater by any means. He has decent skill. I don’t think he’ll be a big scorer versus men but there’s enough talent to his game to be intriguing for the next level.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Yeah you can't sleep on what their pro team wants/needs.  Some orgs are content with not pushing a kid to leave depending upon the current situation and where they would project to play should they leave.  Are they going to stay up but not get top 6 minutes?  Are they likely to spend most of their time in the AHL?  Knowing that a kid on the Gophers is going to play a high-end brand of hockey, led and taught by a quality staff, and playing vs. a Top 5 or better SOS every year helps when considering their development. 

I don't have any specific guesses in mind on any of these guys but college hockey isn't the development pariah it was often depicted as several years ago.

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

@maroon_and_gold 

Jimmy is a Gopher through and through. Comes from a long line of Gophers as we all know. Playing for the M means a lot to him if you listen to his interviews. 

Not to mention the Blues are in no hurry to sign him and have shown patience in the past with their prospects. Jimmy, while obviously very talented, still has room to grow and develop as a player. Especially in the weight room. 

On the other hand, with the Blues getting rid of Tarasenko and Reilly in recent weeks, they will certainly have a need for some goal scoring in the very near future.  Of course, they might have some serious free agent cash available or other draft up-and-comers they may want to get out on the ice first, but you just never know what a 19 year old, or a desperate NHL team, is going to do in these situations.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @joegopher

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

@maroon_and_gold 

On the other hand, with the Blues getting rid of Tarasenko and Reilly in recent weeks, they will certainly have a need for some goal scoring in the very near future.  Of course, they might have some serious free agent cash available or other draft up-and-comers they may want to get out on the ice first, but you just never know what a 19 year old, or a desperate NHL team, is going to do in these situations.

I took that to mean they’re entering a rebuild and would want Snuggy to stay and develop but that’s just me. 

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

@slap-shot 

I don't think it is 100% that he leaves and maybe college hockey is not the development pariah it once was, but with $3.2 million waiting and little else to offer from college hockey why would he wait?  He can develop with the money in his pocket.  

Most players I would not push turning pro, but players as skilled as Cooley and Snuggerud are different.  I wish the entire line would stay one more year but I can see it from their perspective.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

@slap-shot 

I don't think it is 100% that he leaves and maybe college hockey is not the development pariah it once was, but with $3.2 million waiting and little else to offer from college hockey why would he wait?  He can develop with the money in his pocket.  

Most players I would not push turning pro, but players as skilled as Cooley and Snuggerud are different.  I wish the entire line would stay one more year but I can see it from their perspective.

The benefit of staying an extra year for guys like Snuggerud, is to make your 2nd contract more valuable. Matt Boldy stayed an extra year and went from his ELC straight to a  $50M contract. Marco Rossi might not even get 1/10th of that on his next deal. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

@slap-shot 

its a 2 way street. He has next to no leverage yet if the blues think he’s better suited to develop there. He’s not going to push it 3 years and could just as easily get the big minutes and jump next year. The blues won’t want to start his clock to plug him in to a losing team based on past player handling

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @j22

@slap-shot 

The benefit of staying an extra year for guys like Snuggerud, is to make your 2nd contract more valuable. Matt Boldy stayed an extra year and went from his ELC straight to a  $50M contract. Marco Rossi might not even get 1/10th of that on his next deal. 

this is a good point. Guys like Cooley the anticipation is he’s going to sign a mega second contract whenever he comes out. Snuggy is going to have to show it to first of all get a true second contract (not a 2 way). You don’t want to him jump early and end up like Middelstadt who had to play on a lower deal to earn his better additional contract. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @upnorthkid

@slap-shot 

this is a good point. Guys like Cooley the anticipation is he’s going to sign a mega second contract whenever he comes out. Snuggy is going to have to show it to first of all get a true second contract (not a 2 way). You don’t want to him jump early and end up like Middelstadt who had to play on a lower deal to earn his better additional contract. 

Cooley and Snuggerud had the skill before they got here. Guys with the super skill set but not built like Knies could use that extra year. As good as knies was last year, he made another step change this year. So did Faber and LaCombe. Good move by all three of them.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

My 2 cents are that Snuggerud will play at the U next year. I would be pretty surprised if he wasn't back actually. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1628099917016350720

FYI-- If you pause the video at a certain point you can see Chesley's injury...

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Looks wrist related. The extra bye week will do him good.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @upnorthkid

@slap-shot 

Cooley and Snuggerud had the skill before they got here. Guys with the super skill set but not built like Knies could use that extra year. As good as knies was last year, he made another step change this year. So did Faber and LaCombe. Good move by all three of them.

I think it's hard to put Cooley and Snuggy in the same class. Cooley has an all around offensive game that really very very few in the college game have and it's why he could make the jump to a top 6 forward role if the Yotes want him. Snuggy has a great shot and a scorer's mentality. His playmaking has grown throughout the year. But he's 18 and has done most of his work with Cooley at all levels he's been at. I could absolutely see them wanting him to come back and work on his 200 ft game. He's just not the same level as Cooley in NHL readiness imo and that's why I'd put Snuggy as more likely to be back than not. 

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 588

@maroon_and_gold 

I don’t know if things have changed since this past autumn, but St Louis is on record saying they would prefer Snuggerud to stay a second year at Minnesota.  I am guessing Snuggy stays based on that and my gut, but that Cooley signs.  But I won’t be surprised either if Snuggy leaves or Cooley stays.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

@mlhouse

I said my comment didn't have any particular player in mind.  It wouldn't surprise me if any of these guys leave and would in fact put odds towards they will (C, S and K) if I had to. 

I simply listed a caveat and we were all surprised by a few decisions in the team's favor last season so who knows.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I’d bet a lot of money that Snuggy stays. Just a gut feeling. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4509
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @mnstate0fhockey

@maroon_and_gold 

I don’t know if things have changed since this past autumn, but St Louis is on record saying they would prefer Snuggerud to stay a second year at Minnesota.  I am guessing Snuggy stays based on that and my gut, but that Cooley signs.  But I won’t be surprised either if Snuggy leaves or Cooley stays.  

Since then Snuggy has become one of the top scorers in the country, as a freshman, and St Louis has been shedding talent (Tarasenko and OReilly) for draft picks.

I also think he will stay but I don’t feel the Blues’ are Status Quo so thoughts may have changed on their end.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

Snuggerud has great vision, a wicked shot, and can skate pretty well in a straight line. He doesn’t have the dynamic edge work that Cooley does, though. He also doesn’t win as many board battles as Knies, and gets pushed off the puck more easily. All of it comes down to strength and is the reason I think he should stay. But obviously the Blues could think they can do this too, so we’ll just have to wait and see. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1628418687299354626

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but sounds like the team is going to hold an open practice and a scrimmage in Rochester during the bye next weekend.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports/no-1-ranked-gophers-mens-hockey-team-coming-to-graham-arena

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @thinkbui

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but sounds like the team is going to hold an open practice and a scrimmage in Rochester during the bye next weekend.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports/no-1-ranked-gophers-mens-hockey-team-coming-to-graham-arena

After the Austin trip, Jess asked about going to the Spam museum. Will Jess ask about the Mayo Clinic this year?

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

Or the Ear of Corn Water Tower or something like that.

Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

I really laugh at the Jess dislike. Minnesotans really dislike or have an issue with anyone who has access to the teams (Gophers and Wild). And majority don’t know why they have a dislike or issue. They just follow the herd.

Keep your stick on the ice...

mnrouser reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

I really laugh at the Jess dislike. Minnesotans really dislike or have an issue with anyone who has access to the teams (Gophers and Wild). And majority don’t know why they have a dislike or issue. They just follow the herd.

I don't dislike Jess at all, in fact I have praised him for his coverage of the team on this very website. We are lucky to have him as the 2 major papers don't have the resources to follow the team. He just asks some head scratching questions at every presser that makes me laugh and irritates Bob.  That is his quirk and I enjoy poking fun at it. It is like the people who are always ripping the meteorologists for being wrong on a weather forecast. They are easy targets too.

trixR4kids, Cowgirl, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level

I was about to post the same thing.  I certainly would much rather have him and his passion than some other sports journalists we've seen covering Gopher Hockey.  And as far as this quirk, it's not really something I personally pay attention to, but I'm well aware that some on here are amused by it.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1392

Posted by: @thinkbui

I was about to post the same thing.  I certainly would much rather have him and his passion than some other sports journalists we've seen covering Gopher Hockey.  And as far as this quirk, it's not really something I personally pay attention to, but I'm well aware that some on here are amused by it.

The comments coming from the GPL Podcast are of the tounge in cheek variety and basically it's an ongoing bit between Bob/Jess. College hockey fans are lucky to have The Rink Live spending money and getting advertising to cover what's a niche sport... it's our niche sport, but you have to realize that aspect of it.

frozen4champs, Steve MN, Driftryder and 1 people reacted

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

With last night’s win, playoffstatus.com has our NCAA seeding probability as 78% #1 and 22% #2 with a <1% at #3. One more win may lock it up. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

This years team must be driving the herd of eeyore's crazy. Maybe they will have to resort to criticizing the price of tBob's suits. ? 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Posted by: @frozen4champs

This years team must be driving the herd of eeyore's crazy. Maybe they will have to resort to criticizing the price of tBob's suits. ? 

Last night two of the three periods they didn't score. In the playoffs that will get you beat. They need to play a full 60 minutes.  ? 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

winnie the pooh love quotes GIF

Wink

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

@collegehockeyaddict 

Wrong.   The other team did not score a goal in three periods.  Faber's goal was the game winner.  That is all it takes in this or any other hockey game.  Exhibition, regular season, conference play, or Frozen Four.

The Gophers had chances in period 1 and the OSU goalie was really really good (and constantly cheated by knocking the goal off).  

Then 4 goals in a period, clamp down of defense against the #4 goal scoring team in teh Big Ten and 7th ranked team in the nation for Close's 6th shut out on the season, tied for most in Gopher hockey history.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

@collegehockeyaddict 

Wrong.   The other team did not score a goal in three periods.  Faber's goal was the game winner.  That is all it takes in this or any other hockey game.  Exhibition, regular season, conference play, or Frozen Four.

The Gophers had chances in period 1 and the OSU goalie was really really good (and constantly cheated by knocking the goal off).  

Then 4 goals in a period, clamp down of defense against the #4 goal scoring team in teh Big Ten and 7th ranked team in the nation for Close's 6th shut out on the season, tied for most in Gopher hockey history.

You missed the joke.

Rau4SkiUMah and Steve MN reacted
Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

@collegehockeyaddict 

You missed the joke.

I tried to give you a heads-up with the Eeyore gif and the wink.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Probability of #1 overall now at 81%

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

CHN has it at 78% as of this AM.  100% chance to get the #1 or #2.  Denver is the only other team that has a shot at getting the #2 (5%)

I think the only way they lose the #1 is if Wisconsin beats Michigan, then beats MN the following week in the B1G semis and the Q runs the table.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @joegopher

CHN has it at 78% as of this AM.  100% chance to get the #1 or #2.  Denver is the only other team that has a shot at getting the #2 (5%)

I think the only way they lose the #1 is if Wisconsin beats Michigan, then beats MN the following week in the B1G semis and the Q runs the table.

But is there a 19% chance Wisconsin beats Michigan then beats us? I’d put that at like 0.1% chance lol. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Keep your stick on the ice...

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 344

I am a bit surprised the CHN simulations still give Quinnipiac 22% for the 1 seed. The Gophers worst case is 1 loss in the semis, and almost none of the simulations should have that coming against Wisconsin, so it shouldn't be that much of a knock to the gophers status.

I guess there must be more upside than I realize for Quinnipiac if they win all of their ECAC tournament games. 

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

On a separate note, I feel like Cal has quietly had a good second half of the season. To me, he seems to show up each night & makes simple, smart plays; he’s been pretty steady.

After that second ASU game, I can’t really remember him having a bad game. Hoping that continues down the stretch.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @minnesota_knies218

On a separate note, I feel like Cal has quietly had a good second half of the season. To me, he seems to show up each night & makes simple, smart plays; he’s been pretty steady.

After that second ASU game, I can’t really remember him having a bad game. Hoping that continues down the stretch.

Bingo. His biggest asset is not being noticeable. In a good way. Makes all the plays he needs to make. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

I agree. Cal has steadily improved and seems to be in line for a very good career here at the U.

Page 16 / 26