699 Reactions
56.5 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @don-adams-wheel-of-justice

I think there's still a Twins "smell 'em" shirt from the Nick Punto years in the back of my closet.

They Twins marketing dept should've made a shirt for Lew Ford... "Don't Iron Your Jersey While It's On".

Keep your stick on the ice...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

I had a really fun conversation with Lew Ford which started because I asked him about being an engineering student in college (I am a professional engineer) he was surprised I knew this about him. We ended up talking for almost ten minutes while he was on the field (during pre gaming fielding) causing his Twins team mates to leave him by himself on the field. I finally joked don't you have some where to be at which point he turned around and realized everybody left the field so he should too. ? He was a cool dude.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7721
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @don-adams-wheel-of-justice

Posted by: @gator

Posted by: @the-rube

I never understood division/conference title shirts/etc. National title? Sure. Other than that, just hang another banner. Whoopee. 

Just think, there are Twins fans out that bought shirts for just making the Wild Card game.

I think there's still a Twins "smell 'em" shirt from the Nick Punto years in the back of my closet.

I think I still have that one too!  Although I thought it was Mike Redmond  

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 6069

The record for points in a season in the current iteration of the Big Ten is 55 by last years Minnesota squad. Currently at 49 with 3 games to go. Let’s try to beat that. 

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 884
Post on old board: 5335

Reusse on the bandwagon is the kiss of death for any Minnesota sports team.

It was a good run. 

Bertogliat reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @handyman

Posted by: @sunbone

@maroon_and_gold Has anyone here even come close to calling this season a disaster? ?‍♂️

Cardinal said last year after the Michigan loss in the Big Ten Championship the future was looking like a disaster or something similar.  That is why I chose that word. 

LOL. The team has done nothing but trend upward under Motzko to this point. 

ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 203

Posted by: @gopherguy05

It was a good run. 

Anybody saying anything about a Minnesota sports team has been the kiss of death for any team I care about since 2003 and 1991 on the professional side.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8305
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @ddillon22

Posted by: @gopherguy05

It was a good run. 

Anybody saying anything about a Minnesota sports team has been the kiss of death for any team I care about since 2003 and 1991 on the professional side.

It's been since the dawn of time. Or at least since I was born. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

https://twitter.com/fakebobmotzko/status/1626774851569475585?s=20

delete delete delete delete 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

A typical dick move by Pat. Ignores the program on the whole most years unless it's to take shots (especially under tDon) and now is either trolling or jumping on the bandwagon.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

A typical dick move by Pat. Ignores the program on the whole most years unless it's to take shots (especially under tDon) and now is either trolling or jumping on the bandwagon.

He got your attention. He got others' attention. He did his job.;) 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

psych
(@psych)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 148

I had to get my account back to say I think they’re going to win it all this year.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7929

Last freshman dman to put up 20 points? Luke Mittelstadt is quietly at 16 points right now. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Last freshman dman to put up 20 points? Luke Mittelstadt is quietly at 16 points right now. 

I think you’d have to go back to Eric Johnson in 06-07. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

I watched him a few times in HS and will admit I wasn't projecting him out to how he's playing today. His play this season, especially for a freshman, has exceeded my expectations and then some. 

They started elite with LaCombe, Faber, Johnson, and Koester. Then they added Chesley, Mittelstadt and Thomas. WOW.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4809

Mittelstadt is so smooth. He “gets it”.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13288
Post on old board: 9626

The U has already refunded the price of the 1st round of the B1G tourney to my acct.  

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @streakygopher

I watched him a few times in HS and will admit I wasn't projecting him out to how he's playing today. His play this season, especially for a freshman, has exceeded my expectations and then some. 

They started elite with LaCombe, Faber, Johnson, and Koester. Then they added Chesley, Mittelstadt and Thomas. WOW.

And Fish and Staudacher can both really play too. Special group. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Another bright spot for the Gophers is that their PK has moved up to #11 in the nation after a really slow start. Their PP is currently #5. But it seems that the face-offs are really inconsistent. The Farm Kid was lights out earlier this year and now he is really good 1 game, and not so good the next. Cooley has improved, but is also inconsistent. Last night the Gophers were a -11 on draws with Mittelstadt as the only + guy. I do wonder if the stats crew in Pegula is cooking the face-offs for PSU too.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

The increase in guys being comfortable and confident in taking one timers just adds a whole other element to this already talented team. 

Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

Posted by: @the-rube

I never understood division/conference title shirts/etc. National title? Sure. Other than that, just hang another banner. Whoopee. 

I still wear my 2016 Big Ten regular season champions shirt with pride because it was 10 freshmen Gophers stealing a title from Michigan, led by Compher, Connor, Motte, and Werenski.  
Just came up a period short of getting another shirt from that season

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

NEXT. Smile

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

UW up 2-0 on MSU after 1

SCSU up 2-1 on UND after 2

UMD up 2-1 on DEN after 1

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Pack away the maroon jerseys. We won’t be needing them the rest of the season. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

I apparently deleted the email - do any STH here remember the cost breakdown for the big ten tourney?  Need to sell some tickets and can’t remember what face was.  Thanks!

Keith
(@keith)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 123

@cowgirl The total was $150 per seat and I was just refunded 3 x $20 for the first round that won't take place, so I assume the semifinal is $40 and the championship is $50 but I don't know if that was actually published or not.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @keith

@cowgirl The total was $150 per seat and I was just refunded 3 x $20 for the first round that won't take place, so I assume the semifinal is $40 and the championship is $50 but I don't know if that was actually published or not.

I tried looking through my account history online but they have things parceled out over multiple dates during the season with “offset” charges (for what I don’t know) and it makes no sense.  
There are no refunds on my account currently. 
In an old text I quoted a friend $145 for two seats so I’m not sure if different sections charge differently or I massively under quoted them.  ?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

@cowgirl I looked back and I was charged $150 total for 2 seats.( $75 per seat )  IIRC, the breakdown would be $60 for round 1 ( $10 per seat x 3 games x 2 seats), $40 for semi's ( $20 per seat x2) and $50 for the title game ( $25 per seat x2). So game breakdown was $10, $20 & $25 for me. I know we ( STH )  got a deal for early purchase in July.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

The email I have said $70/seat.  IIRC there was also a processing fee, so that might account for the additional $5/seat.

There wasn't a breakdown per game, but I found an email from last season that had one and it said $10, $15, and $25.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

@cowgirl I looked back and I was charged $150 total for 2 seats.( $75 per seat )  IIRC, the breakdown would be $60 for round 1 ( $10 per seat x 3 games x 2 seats), $40 for semi's ( $20 per seat x2) and $50 for the title game ( $25 per seat x2). So game breakdown was $10, $20 & $25 for me. I know we ( STH )  got a deal for early purchase in July.

Yeah that’s closer to what I thought.  I found my credit card statement where I’m pretty sure I paid for a parking pass ($220) and four big ten tourney seats ($145 per pair) as the total was $510. 
@Keith has much better seats than mine  so maybe that’s why his are twice as much. ?‍♀️

Keith
(@keith)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 123

Posted by: @cowgirl

Yeah that’s closer to what I thought.  I found my credit card statement where I’m pretty sure I paid for a parking pass ($220) and four big ten tourney seats ($145 per pair) as the total was $510. 
@Keith has much better seats than mine  so maybe that’s why his are twice as much. ?‍♀️

Nope, I'm just an idiot... mine were $150 total for the pair, not per seat.  So all those prices are per game for 2, not per seat.  #dummy

Cowgirl reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

@cowgirl FYI-- As Keith said, I have pending credits for this years unused 1st round on my credit card. It hit on the 17th.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

@cowgirl FYI-- As Keith said, I have pending credits for this years unused 1st round on my credit card. It hit on the 17th.

Aha yes I see it on my cc. $40 credit per night.  Woohoo! 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Knies racked up the votes after this weekend's performance.

https://twitter.com/HobeyBakerAward/status/1627699555234902016

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Knies is crushing the fan poll because he's a Toronto prospect. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Looks like the Gophers haven't had 2 Hobey finalists make it to the top 10 in the same year since 1996. I would have to hope we can get break that streak this season?

https://www.uscho.com/faq/hobey/

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5066
Post on old board: 10695

The results at Penn State this weekend bumped the Gophers up to 68% shot at the #1 overall, 31% chance at the #2, 1% for #3 and 0.1% at #4 (guessing there's a .9 rounding up somewhere).

QU the only other team with a realistic chance at the #1 overall (32% currently), with 4 teams @ 0.1% each.

I'd guess that one more win for the Gophers or a loss for QU locks the Gophers in to the #1.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1627759417763540992

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I guess you gotta take a picture at some point lol

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

Another bright spot for the Gophers is that their PK has moved up to #11 in the nation after a really slow start. Their PP is currently #5. But it seems that the face-offs are really inconsistent. The Farm Kid was lights out earlier this year and now he is really good 1 game, and not so good the next. Cooley has improved, but is also inconsistent. Last night the Gophers were a -11 on draws with Mittelstadt as the only + guy. I do wonder if the stats crew in Pegula is cooking the face-offs for PSU too.

I have no idea what the stats were for the Saturday game in Madison, but it seemed like the Gophers lost every faceoff.  It was laughable at one point.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2402

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1627759417763540992

Whos the one person who didn’t get the color memo?  ?

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Pack away the maroon jerseys. We won’t be needing them the rest of the season. 

Though I can see them wearing the golds for "the" game.

Keep your stick on the ice...

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

EDIT: Missed Jess's tweet above, but here's the official picture.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 388

Last time a Gopher freshman scored more than 40 points in a season:

2011-12  Kyle Rau  43 points in 40 games.

Last time a Gopher freshman scored more than 50 points in a season:

2005-06  Phil Kessel  53 points.

Last time a Gopher freshman scored more than 60 points in a season:

2002-03  Thomas Vanek  62 points....  

Then there were the Broten Brothers who scored more than 70 points in their freshman season.

This is the 2nd time in Gopher history in which they had two freshman scorers with more than 40 points. Previously 2006-7 with Jay Bariball 43 points and Kyle Okposo 40 points.  

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

One last note:  Since 1969-70 a freshman has led the Gopher's in scoring three times.

1.  1969-70  Mike Antonovich  43 points

2.  2002-03  Thomas Vanek  62 points

3.  2006-07  Jay Bariball  43 points.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

For lack of a better thread, regarding Potulny scoring a goal in 8-straight playoff games (ending vs. FSU) I wonder if that's a Gophers record.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

For lack of a better thread, regarding Potulny scoring a goal in 8-straight playoff games (ending vs. FSU) I wonder if that's a Gophers record.

Has to be. Knies is currently at 4 straight?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Dylan Loucks with Russo talking about the Gophers. Starts at about 47 minute mark. They talk about Cooley maybe staying, possibly Faber playing this week, and other Gopher topics.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-the-dan-barreiro-show-26981004/episode/athletic-hour-dylan-loucks--109269204/

mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level

@frozen4champs 

I looked back at recent college players taken in the first five picks.  At first I thought that there was a trend that they stayed in college two seasons like Powers and Bernier, but that is misleading.  If you look at every  player selected in the top 5 they stayed one year in college after their draft.   I think Cooley will follow that trend and I would not be surprised if Snuggerud left after this season.

The real issue is player development and what more do Cooley, Snuggerud, and Knies have to prove at the college level?  Are they perfect players taht can't get better?  Of course not but the development they can do at the U. is marginal and  the next level of the decision is monetary.  For Cooley the deal is about $12 million.  Would you pass up that level of money and delay your next even bigger contract by a year to work on your PK skills with the risk of injury?

Page 15 / 26