Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2501
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, September 18, 2023

1. A quadrilateral, an aircraft, a bird of prey, the cause of all the trouble in Mary Poppins, and a 1998 anime movie can all be described with what four-letter word?
Kite

2. What Baseball Hall of Famer — the last MLB player to hit over .400 in a single season — had his remains cryogenically preserved following his death in 2002?
Ted Williams

3. Sidney Poitier was the first Black actor to win the Academy Award for “Best Actor,” for the 1963 film “Lilies of the Field.” Denzel Washington was the second, for what 2001 movie?
“Training Day” 

4. The world's deepest lake is also the world's oldest lake. In what country will you find it? 
Russia 
(Lake Baikal) 

5. William Henry Harrison had the shortest first term of any president in U.S. history, at just 32 days. Who had the shortest second term?
Abraham Lincoln 
(42 days)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. “The Barbary Coast” was a geographic term commonly used until the 19th century to describe the northern region of what continent?

2. The Greek word for “thanksgiving” appears several times in the New Testament, always referring to what Christian rite, which was first performed at the Last Supper?

3. Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe De Rita were a few replacement members of what iconic comedy group that saw its start in the vaudeville era and continued into the 1970s? 

4. U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy used his power to root our alleged communists in the United States in the 1950s. Which state did he represent?

5. Actor Jodie Whittaker portrayed the 13th incarnation of the title character on what enduring TV series?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1324

1. Africa

3. The Three Stooges

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4916
Post on old board: 10695

1: Africa Got beat to this one

2: Eucharist

4: WisconSIN (the REAL red menace)

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1292
Post on old board: 5215

5. Doctor Who

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, September 19, 2023

1. “The Barbary Coast” was a geographic term commonly used until the 19th century to describe the northern region of what continent?
Africa

2. The Greek word for “thanksgiving” appears several times in the New Testament, always referring to what Christian rite, which was first performed at the Last Supper?
Communion 
(the Greek word is “Eucharist”)

3. Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe De Rita were a few replacement members of what iconic comedy group that saw its start in the vaudeville era and continued into the 1970s? 
The Three Stooges

4. U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy used his power to root our alleged communists in the United States in the 1950s. Which state did he represent?
Wisconsin

5. Actor Jodie Whittaker portrayed the 13th incarnation of the title character on what enduring TV series?
“Doctor Who”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, September 20, 2023

1. Dr. Bob Hartley, Dick Loudon, Bob McKay, and George Stoody are all sitcom characters played by what comedian, who celebrated his 94th birthday earlier this month?

2. What disease, which often follows strep throat, generally affects children between age 5 and 15, and is named for its characteristic strawberry-colored rash?

3. Eve was the first woman to give birth in the Bible. What did she name her first son?

4. The TV show “Mindfreak” ran from 2005 to 2010, and was promoted as the first weekly magic show to air on U.S. television in over 40 years. Who was the host?

5. What California valley shares its name—which might translate to “valley of the moon” or “earth village,” depending on your source—with half of a San Francisco-based home goods retailer?

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10937
Post on old board: 21741

1.  Bob Newhart

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2771
Post on old board: 7833

2. Scarlet Fever 

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

3. Cain

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5390

4. Criss Angel

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

5. Sonoma Valley

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, September 20, 2023

1. Dr. Bob Hartley, Dick Loudon, Bob McKay, and George Stoody are all sitcom characters played by what comedian, who celebrated his 94th birthday earlier this month?
Bob Newhart 

2. What disease, which often follows strep throat, generally affects children between age 5 and 15, and is named for its characteristic strawberry-colored rash?
Scarlet Fever

3. Eve was the first woman to give birth in the Bible. What did she name her first son?
Cain

4. The TV show “Mindfreak” ran from 2005 to 2010, and was promoted as the first weekly magic show to air on U.S. television in over 40 years. Who was the host?
Criss Angel

5. What California valley shares its name—which might translate to “valley of the moon” or “earth village,” depending on your source—with half of a San Francisco-based home goods retailer?
Sonoma
(Williams-Sonoma is the store)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, September 21, 2023

Most Often: Five questions about things that happen more often than other things.

Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. The word that is used most often in the English language is “the.” But it’s not the most common word in the King James Bible. What other three-letter word is?

2. The current “Lightning Capital of the U.S.” is an unincorporated community known as Four Corners. It's located in the state that experiences the most lightning strikes per square kilometer, due in part to its proximity to large bodies of water. In which state will you find Four Corners?

3. During which season do Americans most often suffer heart attacks?

4. A 2014 survey by a London mathematician asked people to name their favorite number. Nearly 10 percent of the 44,000 respondents answered what number?

5. Do filibusters occur most often in the U.S. Senate or the U.S. House of Representatives?

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692

4. Seven

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

5. The Senate

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2: Florida

3: Winter

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

1. And

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, September 21, 2023
Most Often: Five questions about things that happen more often than other things. 

1. The word that is used most often in the English language is “the.” But it’s not the most common word in the King James Bible. What other three-letter word is?
“And”

2. The current “Lightning Capital of the U.S.” is an unincorporated community known as Four Corners. It's located in the state that experiences the most lightning strikes per square kilometer, due to its proximity to large bodies of water. In which state will you find Four Corners?
Florida

3. During which season do Americans most often suffer heart attacks?
Winter

4. A 2014 survey by a London mathematician asked people to name their favorite number. Nearly 10 percent of the 44,000 respondents answered what number?
Seven

5. Do filibusters occur most often in the U.S. Senate or the U.S. House of Representatives?
Senate 
(they are prohibited in the House)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, September 22, 2023

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email.

1. As of September 2023, Leonardo DiCaprio has starred in five feature films directed by Martin Scorsese that have seen a wide theatrical release. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. The Chernobyl disaster happened in 1986 outside of Pripyat, which is now an abandoned city located in what country?

3. Eva Gabor—Zsa Zsa’s sister—voiced a cat named “Duchess” in a 1970 film, and a mouse named “Miss Bianca” in a 1977 film, both released by Disney. Name both films. 

4. Which is the only U.S. state commemorative quarter that features a king on its reverse side? 

5. Today is September 22. Happy 38th birthday to Tatiana Maslany! She won a 2016 Emmy for “Outstanding Lead Actress” for what science fiction series, on which she played 14 separate characters?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

3. I believe Duchess is from "The Aristocats", I do not know what movie Miss Bianca is from.

4. Hawaii

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2: Ukraine

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

1. The Aviator, Gangs of New York, Shutter Island, The Departed, The Wolf of Wall Street

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Miss Bianca is from "The Rescuers"

5. Orphan Black

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mnnavy

3. I believe Duchess is from "The Aristocats", I do not know what movie Miss Bianca is from.

The Rescuers?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, September 22, 2023

1. As of September 2023, Leonardo DiCaprio has starred in five feature films directed by Martin Scorsese that have seen a wide theatrical release. Name as many of them as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.
“Gangs of New York,” “The Aviator,” “The Departed,” “Shutter Island,” “The Wolf of Wall Street”

2. The Chernobyl disaster happened in 1986 outside of Pripyat, which is now an abandoned city located in what country?
Ukraine 

3. Eva Gabor—Zsa Zsa’s sister—voiced a cat named “Duchess” in a 1970 film, and a mouse named “Miss Bianca” in a 1977 film, both released by Disney. Name both films. 
“The Aristocats,” “The Rescuers”
(Don’t miss our last Disney/Pixar theme nights!)

4. Which is the only U.S. state commemorative quarter that features a king on its reverse side? 
Hawai’i 
(King Kamehameha I)

5. Today is September 22. Happy 38th birthday to Tatiana Maslany! She won a 2016 Emmy for “Outstanding Lead Actress” for what science fiction series, on which she played 14 separate characters?
“Orphan Black”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, September 25, 2023

1. Director Baz Luhrmann is best known for his “Red Curtain Trilogy.” “Strictly Ballroom” and “Romeo + Juliet” are the first two films in this trilogy. What 2001 film starring Nicole Kidman is the last film of the trilogy?

2. Mrs. O’Leary’s cow was allegedly to blame for a fire that took place from October 8 to October 10, 1871, in what city?

3. An albatross is the world’s largest flying seabird. It’s also the name for three shots under par. The Western Hemisphere’s largest flying land bird is four shots under par. What is it?

4. What breakfast dish—originally made with bacon and toast—is said to be named for a Wall Street broker who went to the Waldorf Hotel in 1894 looking for a fatty dish to cure his hangover?

5. The first Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was held in 1938, but it wasn’t named after Sturgis back then. Instead, it was named after what nearby South Dakota landform?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

2. Chicago

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3.  Condor  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5834
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @greyeagle

3.  Condor  

Barry Tallackson?!?!?!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

5: Black Hills Motor Classic

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8117
Post on old board: 35040

4. Eggs Benedict

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

1. Moulin Rouge!

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @karlsson

1. Moulin Rouge!

That is why I didn't know it, hated hated hated this movie.

Was part of a family movie night at my wife's sister's house, I left after 45 minutes or so and 15 of that was making sure she had a ride home.  

ReplyQuote
HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 541

1. Moulin Rouge!

Was part of a family movie night at my wife's sister's house, I left after 45 minutes or so and 15 of that was making sure she had a ride home.  

Same... but you watched about 20 minutes more than I did.

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @hockeybum

1. Moulin Rouge!

I REALLY liked Strictly Ballroom.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2319

Posted by: @zwak

Posted by: @hockeybum

1. Moulin Rouge!

I REALLY liked Strictly Ballroom.

I loved Strictly Ballroom.  I enjoyed MR too, but hey not for everyone. Can I ask why you didn’t like it? The contemporary songs in a different time period?  The acting?  Watch the Tango scene on YouTube, it’s brilliant.  I like Baz but he’s very divisive in his direction and style.  Like Wes Anderson, you either like it or you hate it. 

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I don’t mind MR, but I definitely wasn’t as into it as I pretended to the girl I was wooing at the time.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2319

I don’t mind MR, but I definitely wasn’t as into it as I pretended to the girl I was wooing at the time.

?Respect

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8117
Post on old board: 35040

That take is kinda funny, as I was dragged to "My Best Friend's Wedding" for similar reasons, and I actually didn't mind the movie. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @kelly-red
I loved Strictly Ballroom.  I enjoyed MR too, but hey not for everyone. Can I ask why you didn’t like it? The contemporary songs in a different time period?  The acting?  Watch the Tango scene on YouTube, it’s brilliant.  I like Baz but he’s very divisive in his direction and style.  Like Wes Anderson, you either like it or you hate it. 

It was so long ago I honestly don't recall other than everything about it was weird and there was no plot or story.

It's not a musical thing either, just that particular one didn't grab me.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, September 25, 2023

1. Director Baz Luhrmann is best known for his “Red Curtain Trilogy.” “Strictly Ballroom” and “Romeo + Juliet” are the first two films in this trilogy. What 2001 film starring Nicole Kidman is the last film of the trilogy?
“Moulin Rouge!”

2. Mrs. O’Leary’s cow was allegedly to blame for a fire that took place from October 8 to October 10, 1871, in what city?
Chicago

3. An albatross is the world’s largest flying seabird. It’s also the name for three shots under par. The Western Hemisphere’s largest flying land bird is four shots under par. What is it?
Condor

4. What breakfast dish—originally made with bacon and toast—is said to be named for a Wall Street broker who went to the Waldorf Hotel in 1894 looking for a fatty dish to cure his hangover?
Eggs Benedict 

5. The first Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was held in 1938, but it wasn’t named after Sturgis back then. Instead, it was named after what nearby South Dakota landform?
The Black Hills

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, September 26, 2023

1. What language—which currently has about 9 million speakers worldwide—was effectively dormant as a spoken language by the year 200 CE, and didn’t resurface until the 1800s?

2. Pop singer Rebecca Black released a song in 2011 that is often listed among the worst songs ever recorded. It is named after which day of the week?

3. In 2022, over 1.6 million people visited a national park that used to be known as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. The park consists of three components: the Museum of Westward Expansion, the courthouse where the Dred Scott trials occurred, and what monument?

4. What 2011 animated film features Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Zach Galifianakis, and Billy Bob Thornton in its voice cast?

5. Hewlett-Packard, AltaVista, Tesla, and Theranos are all companies that have been, at one point or another, headquartered in what California city, which has a name that translates to “tall stick”?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3.  St. Louis Gateway Arch

5.  Palo Alto

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Puss In Boots

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Puss in Boots

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7603
Post on old board: 10120

Rebecca Black Friday GIF

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

1. Hebrew

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5834
Post on old board: 16243

1) Hebrew.

* Slow on the draw... lol!!! I texted my father-in-law, asking if he could still read and understand Hebrew before answering the question. He just replied that he has forgotten much of what he once known. Though he can understand a commentary of Hebrew grammer like Qal, Niphal, Pail and ect....

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I only have half of the translation down, the easy part. Meaning I can follow what the rabbi is saying without using the transliteration in the siddur, but I don’t know what any of it means without looking at the English. 

Edit: That was a really long way of saying “I can sound it out but I don’t know what it means.” ? 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 75 / 107