Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11511
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @zwak

Questions for
Friday, September 27, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: The 2016 reboot of “Ghostbusters” directed by Paul Feig stars four comedic actors that have received Emmy nominations for their acting work on “Saturday Night Live,” either as regular cast members or as host. Name as many of those actors as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any incorrect.

2. What chef, the first to sell bottled stir-fry sauces in the U.S., also came up with the idea of a numbered menu to allow for easier communication between English-speaking and non-English speaking customers and staff at her Cambridge, Massachusetts restaurants?

3. Pop fans know Troye Sivan for hits like “My My My!” and “One of Your Girls.” Comics fans may know him from a 2009 role as the young version of James Howlett, better known as what superhero?

4. In physics, mass times acceleration equals force. What is obtained by multiplying mass times velocity?

5. Today is September 27. On this day in 1954, Steve Allen debuted as the host of what long-running TV program?

5.  The Tonight Show

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5208
Post on old board: 10695

4: Momentum

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2412

2) Joyce Chen

3) he was the young Wolverine

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5634

1. Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones. 

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2615
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, September 27, 2024

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: The 2016 reboot of “Ghostbusters” directed by Paul Feig stars four comedic actors that have received Emmy nominations for their acting work on “Saturday Night Live,” either as regular cast members or as host. Name as many of those actors as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any incorrect.

Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig

2. What chef, the first to sell bottled stir-fry sauces in the U.S., also came up with the idea of a numbered menu to allow for easier communication between English-speaking and non-English-speaking customers and staff at her Cambridge, Massachusetts restaurants?

Joyce Chen    

3. Pop fans know Troye Sivan for hits like “My My My!” and “One of Your Girls.” Comics fans may know him from a 2009 role as the young version of James Howlett, better known as what superhero?

Wolverine (Logan)

4. In physics, mass times acceleration equals force. What is obtained by multiplying mass times velocity?

Momentum

5. Today is September 27. On this day in 1954, Steve Allen debuted as the host of what long-running TV program?

“The Tonight Show”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, September 30, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. Last week, bidding commenced online for an iconic baseball that was used in the 50th home run hit this season from which L.A. Dodger?

2. Following his 19th-century roaming to cities such as Adelaide, Petersburg, and Oodnadatta, the collar of folk hero Bob the Railway Dog is on display in what country’s National Railway Museum?

3. Given her first name, it’s fitting that actor January Jones portrayed what character in the movie “X-Men: First Class”?

4. “Find Your Magic” and “Spray More, Get More” are campaign slogans that have been used for what brand of deodorant?

5. True or false: Leonardo da Vinci and William Shakespeare were alive at the same time.

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2166

1.Shohei Ohtani

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2 Australia

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. Emma Frost

5. False

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

4) Axe body spray.  God, spray more must be the mantra of every teenage boy I’ve ever had the misfortune of being next too. I told my nephew one time up at our cabin…more Axe does not take the place of a shower 🤢

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, September 30, 2024

1. Last week, bidding commenced online for an iconic baseball that was used in the 50th home run hit this season from which L.A. Dodger?

Shohei Ohtani

2. Following his 19th-century roaming to cities such as Adelaide, Petersburg, and Oodnadatta, the collar of folk hero Bob the Railway Dog is on display in what country’s National Railway Museum?

Australia

3. Given her first name, it’s fitting that actor January Jones portrayed what character in the movie “X-Men: First Class”?

Emma Frost

4. “Find Your Magic” and “Spray More, Get More” were campaign slogans for what brand of deodorant?

Axe (or Lynx)

5. True or false: Leonardo da Vinci and William Shakespeare were alive at the same time.

False
(Da Vinci died in 1519; Shakespeare was born in 1564)

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, October 1, 2024

1. A “sociable” (or “side-by-side”) is a version of what kind of vehicle, which places its passengers beside each other, as opposed to the “tandem” variant?

2. The Gulf of Oman, the Kavir Desert, and Mount Damavand are all sites you might see on a visit to what country, the sixth largest in Asia by area?

3. On what website, aka “The Front Page of the Internet,” will you commonly find acronyms such as “AMA,” “TIL,” “AITA,” and “ELI5”?

4. The 1998 Tommy Lee Jones film “U.S. Marshals” is a sequel to what 1993 movie about an escaped con?

5. Internet users in Japan set a record during a 2013 TV broadcast of the animated movie “Castle in the Sky” by sending out 143,199 what per second?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

4.  The Fugitive  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

2. Iran

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3 Reddit 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) motorcycle 
5) Tweets

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, October 1, 2024

1. A “sociable” (or “side-by-side”) is a version of what kind of vehicle, which places its passengers beside each other, as opposed to the “tandem” variant?

Bicycle

2. The Gulf of Oman, the Kavir Desert, and Mount Damavand are all sites you might see on a visit to what country, the sixth largest in Asia by area?

Iran

3. On what website, aka “The Front Page of the Internet,” will you commonly find acronyms such as “AMA,” “TIL,” “AITA,” and “ELI5”?

Reddit

4. The 1998 Tommy Lee Jones film “U.S. Marshals” is a sequel to what 1993 movie about an escaped con?

“The Fugitive”

5. Internet users in Japan set a record during a 2013 TV broadcast of the animated movie “Castle in the Sky” by sending out 143,199 what per second?

Tweets

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, October 2, 2024

1. The Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area flows through eight counties in which U.S. state?

2. When the United States’ first self-service grocery opened in 1916, the store’s founder would be asked why he gave it the name he did. He would answer, “So people will ask that very question.” Name that rhyming store!

3. There are two kinds of domesticated camel: the dromedary and the Bactrian. Which is the two-humped kind?

4. It’s either a Chevrolet model manufactured from 1987 to 1996, or it’s the island birthplace of Napoleon. What is it?

5. What nickname was given to NBA player David Robinson as he played his pre-NBA basketball at the U.S. Naval Academy?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

4.  Corsica (Awful car!)

5. The Admiral 

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3 Bactrian

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1356

1. Pennsylvania?

2. Piggly Wiggly?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote

MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 228

3. Bactrian because B has two humps and D has one hump 😅

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @mnnavy

1. Pennsylvania?

2. Piggly Wiggly?

My guesses, too.  

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1356

Posted by: @greyeagle

1. Pennsylvania?

2. Piggly Wiggly?

My guesses, too.  

I looked #1 up after I answered - Pennsylvania is correct. So, if Piggly Wiggly is correct, I knew the answers to all five questions today. I think that's the first time that's ever happened (for me, anyway).

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8353
Post on old board: 35040

4.  Corsica (Awful car!)

5. The Admiral 

I loved the Corsica! That car lasted through anything. Sold my first one to my brother when I got a new one, and when he got his truck, he sold Corsica1 to a buddy of his. Last we heard (obv this was decades ago), Corsica1 had topped 300K miles. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @the-rube

4.  Corsica (Awful car!)

5. The Admiral 

I loved the Corsica! That car lasted through anything. Sold my first one to my brother when I got a new one, and when he got his truck, he sold Corsica1 to a buddy of his. Last we heard (obv this was decades ago), Corsica1 had topped 300K miles. 

They lacked sex appeal, but they were actually pretty zippy for the time if you got a four speed auto, even more so if you managed to snag a 5 speed manual. Sub 10 second 0-60 was quick in the late 80s - early 90s, only really found on cars more than twice the price. They were also incredibly simple and easy to work on. 

GM raked in the $$$ on cars like that and the Beretta back then. 10 year model run + No significant updates = Profit. 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

2. Piggly Wiggly?

I always think of the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the fake Piggly Wiggly trucks. So ambiguous the government used them for covert operations 🤣

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday,
October 2, 2024

1. The Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area flows through eight counties in which U.S. state?

Pennsylvania

2. When the United States’ first self-service grocery opened in 1916, the store’s founder would be asked why he gave it the name he did. He would answer, “So people will ask that very question.” Name that rhyming store!

Piggly Wiggly

3. There are two kinds of domesticated camel: the dromedary and the Bactrian. Which is the two-humped kind?

Bactrian

4. It’s either a Chevrolet model manufactured from 1987 to 1996, or it’s the island birthplace of Napoleon. What is it?

Corsica

5. What nickname was given to NBA player David Robinson as he played his pre-NBA basketball at the U.S. Naval Academy?

The Admiral

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, October 3, 2024

A Movie Most Fowl: Here are five questions about terrible films with an avian connection!

Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. What 1986 box office bomb was the first theatrically released live-action Marvel adaptation, just barely making back its budget?

2. Though it became a sleeper hit at the box office, most reviews of “The Purge” were just as dark as the film itself. What Oscar-nominated actor and screenwriter starred in it as James Sandin?

3. What 1963 film’s sequel, released on Showtime in 1994 and subtitled “Land’s End,” was described as an embarrassment by actor Tippi Hedren, who appeared in both the sequel and the original?

4. Disney’s first-ever fully computer-animated film was also one of its worst received. What 2005 movie didn’t inspire critics, but did inspire Disney to purchase Pixar the next year?

5. What actor, better known for her TV roles in “Head of the Class” and “Riverdale,” has appeared in such poorly reviewed films as “Head of State,” “The Family that Preys,” and “God’s Not Dead 2”?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

5.  Robin Givens 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) Howard the Duck

2) Ethan Hawke.  

I’m embarrassed to admit I can answer all 5 of these bad film questions lol. 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @kelly-red

I’m embarrassed to admit I can answer all 5 of these bad film questions lol. 

LOL....I figured you were all over today's questions!

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

3. The Birds

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

4: Chicken Little

(helps to remember to read the theme before answering Smile )

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, October 3, 2024

A Movie Most Fowl: Here are five questions about terrible films with an avian connection!

1. What 1986 box office bomb was the first theatrically released live-action Marvel adaptation, just barely making back its budget?

“Howard the Duck”

2. Though it became a sleeper hit at the box office, most reviews of “The Purge” were just as dark as the film itself. What Oscar-nominated actor and screenwriter starred in it as James Sandin?

Ethan Hawke

3. What 1963 film’s sequel, released on Showtime in 1994 and subtitled “Land’s End,” was described as an embarrassment by actor Tippi Hedren, who appeared in both the sequel and the original?

“The Birds”

4. Disney’s first-ever fully computer-animated film was also one of its worst received. What 2005 movie didn’t inspire critics, but did inspire Disney to purchase Pixar the next year?

“Chicken Little”

5. What actor, better known for her TV roles in “Head of the Class” and “Riverdale,” has appeared in such poorly reviewed films as “Head of State,” “The Family that Preys,” and “God’s Not Dead 2”?

Robin Givens

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, October 4, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Hollywood heartthrob Glen Powell has acted in four movies since his breakthrough role in 2022’s “Top Gun: Maverick.” Name as many of these films as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any incorrect.

2. Daniel Inouye served as the president pro tempore of the Senate from 2010 until his death in 2012. That made him the highest-ranking Asian American politician in U.S. history before 2021, when that distinction was given to whom?

3. If you are a “cruciverbalist,” how do you enjoy spending your free time?

4, The first women’s rights convention in the U.S. was held in 1848 in what tiny, upstate New York town?

5. Today is October 4. On this day in 1941, horror author Anne Rice was born. Among her most notable works is what 1976 book that launched her best-selling “Chronicles” series and was adapted to film in 1994?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3 Doing crosswords 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2166

5. Interview with the Vampire

2. Guessing Kamala Harris

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Hitman, Twisters, than one with Sidney Sweeney

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

4. Seneca Falls

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) Hitman, Twisters, Devotion, Anyone but You

ReplyQuote
Page 114 / 114