219 Reactions
29.4 K Views
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7818

Posted by: @youngeagle

Posted by: @frozen4champs

For those needing a Monday hockey fix, it is semi-final day at the Bean Pot. Harvard v NE at 4pm, with BU v BC at 7pm. It will be shown on NESN and ESPN+

That is one tournament I would love to go to someday.  It always looks packed and fun. 

When I was living in Maryland for work one year I spent a lot of weekends traveling to D1 hockey games out east including the Bean Pot. Since the Bean Pot is the first and second Monday of February I went to the semi finals so I could see all four team crowds still with a chance to win the tournament rather then two of them playing in a consolation game. As a result, I didn't get to experience the championship game.

I had a great time. I'm guessing the second Monday is good too just more about the one game than the other.

Harvard has by far the least amount of fans/excitement.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4659

Macklin Celebrini making his Hobey Baker case tonight.

He has both goals, BU up 2-0 in the first. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2405

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Macklin Celebrini making his Hobey Baker case tonight.

He has both goals, BU up 2-0 in the first. 

that one timer was an absolute MISSLE. Great win for BU. 

Delafield Gopher
(@delafield-gopher)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 64

@collegehockeyaddict Harvard has to plagiarize them from other teams.  

(Too soon?)  Oh come on. That was a hanging curve ball.  😉

gopher6 reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12775
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

This week they have Gophers vs Denver in round 1.

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Denver
9. Minnesota
16. Minnesota State

https://www.uscho.com/2024/02/07/bracketology-three-hockey-east-no-1-seeds-umass-falling-to-a-no-4-seed-complicate-this-weeks-pairings-beyond-belief/

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

@frozen4champs 

I hope we are in Sioux Falls instead...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12775
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @idontknow

@frozen4champs 

I hope we are in Sioux Falls instead...

I hear ya. Lots of movement to come yet. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

grothm01
(@grothm01)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 250

@frozen4champs i saw some place where they were replacing replacing Boston College with UND and putting them in SF.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5329

Sounds like Carle did a fantastic job poking holes in Wodon’s arguments for keeping regionals the way they are. Then, he proceeded drive big trucks through those holes for good measure. Hearing Wodon was a little blind sided by Marottolo (Sacred Heart) being in favor of campus games as well. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4888
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @karlsson

Sounds like Carle did a fantastic job poking holes in Wodon’s arguments for keeping regionals the way they are. Then, he proceeded drive big trucks through those holes for good measure. Hearing he was a little blind sided by Marottolo (Sacred Heart) being in favor of campus games as well. 

Ooo... where was this?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @karlsson

Sounds like Carle did a fantastic job poking holes in Wodon’s arguments for keeping regionals the way they are. Then, he proceeded drive big trucks through those holes for good measure. Hearing he was a little blind sided by Marottolo (Sacred Heart) being in favor of campus games as well. 

Ooo... where was this?

CHN Podcast

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ontheair/

Honestly, this was masterful. Carle is one heck of a debater. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

He dominated Wodon. Start to finish beatdown. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

On the list to listen to, thanks.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1789

Wodon gave lazy answers to some of Carle's questions about what he would change, like "I don't know.. I just like the way things are" which is a really nice way of evading the question of why the current format should stay..  I also think his defense of the current system loses water when he states that he was against Providence hosting a regional as a four seed... well that's how the current system is set up?!? So he does want change? 

I like David Carle and his ideas make a lot of sense. I still don't see the NCAA switching to a 2 week regional format, but you could do a single weekend on campus four team tournament hosted by the top four seeds using Pairwise.  It's possible you would end up with some less than full championship games if the 4 upsets the 1, but attendance would never be an issue overall. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7616

I applaud Wodon for having the guts to stand up for something that he’s clearly the minority in. Something to be said for not caving in to peer pressure. With that being said he dances around questions and lolligags his own points to the point where I feel like he knows he’s wrong but he just doesn’t want to admit it.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I agree. It feels like he knows his position is getting more and more indefensible and he is resorting to playing devil’s advocate at this point. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. 

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 674

I did not listen to the podcast.  I did read Wodon's post today and still don't believe his argument.  That the pairwise is weak at seeding is not a good argument for neutral sites; should we go back to the smoke-filled rooms then?  It is the system we have and if not perfect, you better just win. 

He did make the comment that "best of three is a non-starter" for regionals.  Why is that the case?  Seems to me that best of three would be the best case scenario for establishing whether the "weak pairwise" is appropriate or not.  Further, three games at Mariucci/Kohl Center/Mayo Clinic Health Systems Arena/AMSOil should be a far better revenue generator than a neutral site 1000 miles away from 3 schools. Plus, the good teams survive more often that way.  I cannot imagine coaches are concerned with shortening the playoffs.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2405

Wodon gave lazy answers to some of Carle's questions about what he would change, like "I don't know.. I just like the way things are" which is a really nice way of evading the question of why the current format should stay..  I also think his defense of the current system loses water when he states that he was against Providence hosting a regional as a four seed... well that's how the current system is set up?!? So he does want change? 

I like David Carle and his ideas make a lot of sense. I still don't see the NCAA switching to a 2 week regional format, but you could do a single weekend on campus four team tournament hosted by the top four seeds using Pairwise.  It's possible you would end up with some less than full championship games if the 4 upsets the 1, but attendance would never be an issue overall. 

And honestly I even doubt that. You're going to sell them as a package set and if you've decided to be there for the first game, hard to me to see many people opting out of the championship if you've made arrangements to be in town especially when it should be really good hockey. Think the all in one hosted by the top seed is the best format personally, grows the game because the games are broadcast in front of full rinks (I don't start liking college hockey because I went to an empty arena to watch teams I didn't care about in Missouri--or probably decide to even go to the games in the first place), and rewards the teams who get it done during the season rather than forcing them to play against a pseudo home team because they happened to place a bid. Sure it may make it tough to afford tickets some years with scalpers if you end up with a small rink, but that is also some of the unique atmosphere of the sport and you will reserve some of the tickets for each fan base and if you want to be there, the difference in cost of the ticket is not the barrier when you're factoring in the travel, hotel, etc. you're already paying for. Can you imagine how juiced a fan base like Maine's would be to host after not even being in the tournament since 2012? Would be electric and create all sorts of buzz you just won't see if they're trekking off to Missouri. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1789

Posted by: @upnorthkid

And honestly I even doubt that. You're going to sell them as a package set and if you've decided to be there for the first game, hard to me to see many people opting out of the championship if you've made arrangements to be in town especially when it should be really good hockey. Think the all in one hosted by the top seed is the best format personally, grows the game because the games are broadcast in front of full rinks (I don't start liking college hockey because I went to an empty arena to watch teams I didn't care about in Missouri--or probably decide to even go to the games in the first place), and rewards the teams who get it done during the season rather than forcing them to play against a pseudo home team because they happened to place a bid. Sure it may make it tough to afford tickets some years with scalpers if you end up with a small rink, but that is also some of the unique atmosphere of the sport and you will reserve some of the tickets for each fan base and if you want to be there, the difference in cost of the ticket is not the barrier when you're factoring in the travel, hotel, etc. you're already paying for. Can you imagine how juiced a fan base like Maine's would be to host after not even being in the tournament since 2012? Would be electric and create all sorts of buzz you just won't see if they're trekking off to Missouri. 

Absolutely, you should be rewarded by getting the first seed not punished.  Additionally, I think you make a good point about the attendance in the other games, if you bought tickets its likely most would show up as a road fan since you made travel arrangements. At the very least ticket sales would increase even if attendance is lower for one game or so.

The biggest thing is just great ATMOSPHERES for the best games in College Hockey, not empty arenas in Cincy..

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

upnorthkid reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I feel bad for Stonehill players (why did they move up to D1?). They have lost all 27 games they've played about to be 28. They are down at home tonight 8-0 to Linwood after two periods.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Quinnipiac loses 3-1 to St. Lawrence who was #55 in Pairwise when the game was being played. This loss dropped the Q from #6 to #9.

Michigan State goes on the road and scores 4 times in the 3rd period to beat Michigan 5-1 at Yost.

Michigan is currently #13 in Pairwise and could end up playing on the road in the 1st round of the Big Ten playoffs. They are currently in 5th place. #14 St. Cloud and #15 Cornell are both very close to them in RPI which is the most important part of Pairwise.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7616

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Quinnipiac loses 3-1 to St. Lawrence who was #55 in Pairwise when the game was being played. This loss dropped the Q from #6 to #9.

Michigan State goes on the road and scores 4 times in the 3rd period to beat Michigan 5-1 at Yost.

Michigan is currently #13 in Pairwise and could end up playing on the road in the 1st round of the Big Ten playoffs. They are currently in 5th place. #14 St. Cloud and #15 Cornell are both very close to them in RPI which is the most important part of Pairwise.

CHN finally updated and booted Qpac all the way to 9. Gophers scoot up to 8, into 2 seed range.

Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

The 8 9 matchup between us and the Q would be fun. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Q lost again today—Gophers up to #8 in the PW.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I feel bad for Stonehill players (why did they move up to D1?). They have lost all 27 games they've played about to be 28. They are down at home tonight 8-0 to Linwood after two periods.

I came here to comment on this. 10-1 loss to Lindenwood. WOOF!

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Hopefully they get more competitive soon. No players deserve a season like this. Yes I understand the players aren't good but if they were in D3 they would win some games.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

As I understand it... Stonehill was a low-end D3 team, where the rest of the school moved to D1 and dragged the hockey team with them.

Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 725

https://twitter.com/ndhockey/status/1756499428620353814?s=46&t=0KFTpzlvGvQO6weRJohPMg

this is not goalie interference apparently. I don’t know how this is allowed and the ones last week are no goal

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Posted by: @boats

https://twitter.com/ndhockey/status/1756499428620353814?s=46&t=0KFTpzlvGvQO6weRJohPMg

this is not goalie interference apparently. I don’t know how this is allowed and the ones last week are no goal

Woof that is clear goalie interference

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

As I understand it... Stonehill was a low-end D3 team, where the rest of the school moved to D1 and dragged the hockey team with them.

Stone Hill won today!

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Badgers end up winning 3-2 with that being their 3rd goal. 🤔 

Stonehill lures Lidenwood into a false sense of security by letting them win yesterday 10-1 in order to set the trap to beat them 4-2 tonight for their first win of the season. Stonehill is way to good too lose 29 straight time this season they are now 1-28-0.

In all seriousness congratulations to Stonehill on their first D1 win.

Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 725

ND challenged it and the play stood. I have no idea what goalie interference is I guess.

Cowgirl reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @chris-eckes

Stone Hill won today!

1-28!

Happy Tom Cruise GIF

Greyeagle and Slap Shot reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7508
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @boats

ND challenged it and the play stood. I have no idea what goalie interference is I guess.

I think we can now confidently say that neither do the big ten refs.   
I’d like to see an explanation come out on that one.  

and does someone need to investigate Hastings for paying off the officiating crews…?? 🤔🤔

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

If anybody wants to see what lead up to him being in the crease it's shown starting at 3:27 of this video.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7508
Post on old board: 10120

It doesn’t matter if you are pushed.  It’s your job and your job alone to stay out of the crease.  At least that’s what I’ve learned the previous two weekends. 🤷‍♀️

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

B1G Refs... Corrupt, or merely incompetent?

After seeing that, there the ND goalie didn't even have time to get up getting allowed as a goal on challenge... after the goalie having time to get on his feet, square up against one player and make a move after a pass being DISallowed, has me seriously wondering how much Hastings is paying the ref crews.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Apparently the goal counted because he was knocked off his feet by the Notre Dame defender so that is different then getting cross checked/pushed/or knocked off balance but still on your skates which was the three Gopher situations.

I suspect it's because some people think you have control over where you go if you are still on your skates even if the defender alters your course since the argument is you shouldn't have let him alter your course (aka stand your ground or being that you are still on your skates do more to avoid interfering with the goalie) and if a defender does it with out committing a penalty it's on you. Although I don't really agree with this.

I can see why this was allowed but I also think the Gopher goals certainly could/should have been allowed too.

The only difference I see on this play is the Badger player being knock off his skates so apparently that is the reason it was ruled differently.

I don't think the Notre Dame player got a penalty for knocking the Badger player off his skates.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Michigan's loss tonight dropped them to #15 in Pairwise. The next two weekends they play at Penn State and then Notre Dame at home. 

Their final regular season series of the year which is against the Gophers at Mariucci will likely be very important for their at large chances. 

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 433
Post on old board: 9527

St Lawerence upsets #5 Quinnipiac 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8005
Post on old board: 35040

The Circle Of Suck for this season has finally been accomplished!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGDjGiVXcAA8cPS?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5823
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @the-rube

The Circle Of Suck for this season has finally been accomplished!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGDjGiVXcAA8cPS?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Interesting to see, but someone has to much time on their hands to figure this out... lol!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

For many mathematical models... the date this circle completes is when they truly become useful.  It's why the Gopher Women several years back broke most of the models.  They just aren't designed to deal with teams with perfect records.

Yes, PWR doesn't have quite the same issue (but it does get an extra degree of accuracy when this happens) but KRACH, for example (which is a better model in most aspects) couldn't handle it.

The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

For many mathematical models... the date this circle completes is when they truly become useful.  It's why the Gopher Women several years back broke most of the models.  They just aren't designed to deal with teams with perfect records.

Yes, PWR doesn't have quite the same issue (but it does get an extra degree of accuracy when this happens) but KRACH, for example (which is a better model in most aspects) couldn't handle it.

That was insane when the MNW broke the system. Wasn't it something like they were ahead by the 34th power? 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

That was insane when the MNW broke the system. Wasn't it something like they were ahead by the 34th power?  

Basically, KRACH determines the odds that one team will beat another based on their respective records, and with the 0 in the loss/tie column for Minnesota that year, the divide by loss operation in the calculation led to a theoretically infinite KRACH.  I think they put in a tweak to the calculation to allow for 0 loss or 0 win teams to allow the rest of the system to work right, but any values directly related to a Perfect or Perfectly Futile team have a Divide by Zero error.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Well the Gopher women deserved an infinity rating that year since they clearly were never going to lose no matter how many games they played. 😉 

Karlsson reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

You, dx, and a couple others on here are a higher pay grade than I am when it comes to numbers, and I consider myself up there, and that season was just...there were no words. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Well the Gopher women deserved an infinity rating that year since they clearly were never going to lose no matter how many games they played. 😉 

While this may be true, the problem is that it breaks the entire model. Meaning the rankings of other teams were all screwed up as well. That is what made it so bad ass. 😃 

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

That is the thing about KRACH... when you don't have a 0 win/tie or 0 loss/tie team... you can take any team's KRACH rating, apply it against their schedule (with opponents' KRACH ratings factored in) and end up with the actual Winning percentage (won't get you the Win/Loss/Tie numbers directly, but will get you the percentage)

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

You, dx, and a couple others on here are a higher pay grade than I am when it comes to numbers, and I consider myself up there, and that season was just...there were no words. 

As I recall, you kept referring to it as the team "Breaking Math" well.. they didn't break math... they just broke the best system there is to compare teams, because that system relies on math... and once you add a "divide by zero" into the mix... everything blows up.

As a practical matter I THINK the system dealt with most of the other teams reasonably well.  The only ones that would have had an issue would be a team that ONLY lost to the Gophers.  Any losses to other teams basically break the connection to the Div/0 issue enough to give usable numbers.  It's one of those things where the best team in the country rarely has the hardest schedule of the year... because they don't play any games against the best team in the country.

And DAYUM was that championship game fun to be at.

Page 7 / 19