88 Users
746 Reactions
72 K Views
Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 344

Posted by: @jwg

What I got out of that is I’m pissed Denver has won 4 times and UMD 3 times since we have. Gross. 

Very True with regards to Duluth and Denver, they own the last two Decades. I enjoyed seeing the first Duluth championship, but 3 is hard to endure given our corresponding 20 year drought. 

Meanwhile concerning Denver.....

As of Spring 2003

Gophers had 5 championships

• 3 in the 70s
  • Back to Back 02-03 Championships

Denver Also had 5 Championships

• But all were fairly old occurring in the 50s and 60s
  • Plus Denver only had One Frozen Four appearance between 1973-2004
    • the one being in 1985 and ended with a loss in the third place game against the gophers!

Given all the other NCAA stats like # of Frozen fours, #Tourney appearances would be in the gophers favor it would of been impossible to argue Denver as the overall more successful program back in 2003.

But Since 2003... 

Gophers

• 4 Frozen fours with no titles

Denver

• Back to Back 04-05 Championships 
  • 2 more wins in 2017 & 2022
  • 2 other frozen fours 

Now with 9 National Championships Denver can at least argue that they are the best program, yuck! 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8303
Post on old board: 35040

All this title talk, one has to give some credit to BC. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

All this title talk, one has to give some credit to BC. 

LOL I was just going to add that, definitely don't want to ever see Bean Town enjoy that much dominance again. 

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

The worst for me is that Wisconsin has more Titles (6)  than the Gophers (5). We need to catch and pass them post haste. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

The overalls don't matter that much to me in the big picture. IIRC UND has more overall titles than MN, but we have more than them in this millennium. (and for the nerds 2000 was last millennium). 2 > 1 Basically, what have you done for me lately, (c) Janet Jackson 😉 

That being said, I long for a title. Please let me see another one. Soon. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

IMO the amount of years of reference is determined by how old you are. 

I will give you an example, at a Vikings home game a San Francisco 49ers fan was being a jerk trying to annoy Vikings fans bragging about how many championships his team has. So I asked him how old he was, he told me and I responded back so the last time your team won the Super Bowl you were one year old. And then I said I hope you really enjoyed that championship when you were a baby. The people around us started laughing. 

The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

That's a valid point and reference to make. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

While not related to this sport, but related to the topic at hand (top team, champs, etc) there is a whole generation of GB Packers fans that have not known a non-HOF QB. Equate that with titles to your discretion, as to level of talent on your team. That's insane. 

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

@the-rube  , Good call out on the Union Comp, that team went on a tear in the 2nd half. The Q are hard to judge whether they are good or Elite, the possibility of a Union like run cant be dismissed. 

@chris-eckes  , I think your on point with Denver & Gophers being the top teams but I would take the the remaining 14 teams over the top 2 teams pretty much every time in NCAA Hockey.  In the last 19 years the top 4 seeds have won it all just ~58% of the time. 

-- attachment is not available --

Emotionally I am all in on this team, This is the team, this is the year to break the Championship drought.....but the history of this tournament helps me hedge my expectations a bit. So hopefully if the Gophers do fall short, I wont feel like I did back in 1999. 

I agree with everything you said, and usually I'd say you're crazy to take anything other than the field in the tourney. However, I think this year the 'good teams' are a lot higher above the 'pretty good teams' than usual. I don't have KRACH historical data to back it up, just a gut feeling.

Obviously it's hockey so weird stuff can happen, but I just get the feeling this year that MN and DU (and maybe Q) are complete teams and everyone else has some serious warts.

KRACH context, the Gophers have the same expected win % over #5 Penn State as PSU has over #20 UMD. That's just such a wide difference in quality.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @chris-eckes

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

@the-rube  , Good call out on the Union Comp, that team went on a tear in the 2nd half. The Q are hard to judge whether they are good or Elite, the possibility of a Union like run cant be dismissed. 

@chris-eckes  , I think your on point with Denver & Gophers being the top teams but I would take the the remaining 14 teams over the top 2 teams pretty much every time in NCAA Hockey.  In the last 19 years the top 4 seeds have won it all just ~58% of the time. 

Emotionally I am all in on this team, This is the team, this is the year to break the Championship drought.....but the history of this tournament helps me hedge my expectations a bit. So hopefully if the Gophers do fall short, I wont feel like I did back in 1999. 

I agree with everything you said, and usually I'd say you're crazy to take anything other than the field in the tourney. However, I think this year the 'good teams' are a lot higher above the 'pretty good teams' than usual. I don't have KRACH historical data to back it up, just a gut feeling.

Obviously it's hockey so weird stuff can happen, but I just get the feeling this year that MN and DU (and maybe Q) are complete teams and everyone else has some serious warts.

KRACH context, the Gophers have the same expected win % over #5 Penn State as PSU has over #20 UMD. That's just such a wide difference in quality.

as I said above, if it were a best of 7 (or even 3), yeah I’d absolutely agree. Even if you use the Gophs RRWP in the KRACH, which way overestimates things, we still only win 4 games in a row half the time. It’s the beauty of a 1 and done and also the pain.

to give some historical KRACH ratings, Michigan and Kato were over 300 pts ahead of the 3rd place team (WMU) last year, and the year prior to Covid, und (the 1), was over 400 points ahead of the 5th place team. Then the year prior SCSU was 300 points ahead of everyone. We’re currently just a shade over 300 pts ahead of PSU. 

Edit: for clarity, by points I mean rating points

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1332
Post on old board: 5547

So after this weekend do the Gophers get a week off before regions?

Aloha!

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @gopher6

If they lose.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4509
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @gopher6

The B1G championship game is next weekend...because they are dum.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

An early departure ? 

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1632848983184777217

https://twitter.com/UWBadgers/status/1632848423819833355

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7912

Hastings or Rohlik?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The top name on Pat's list would drive the Jan Brady faithful crazy.

https://twitter.com/patmick2626/status/1632855555105595393

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Hastings or Rohlik?

My money would be on Rohlik. Wisconsin alumni, obviously very familiar with the Big Ten, and it seems unclear how much OSU is willing to invest in their men’s hockey program with the details of the new arena up in the air. 
Hastings on the other hand seems pretty comfortable and happy in Mankato. 
But who knows, as us gopher fans saw with Motzko, the lure of a traditional, big time program and a brand name school might be enough to pull Hastings away from the Mavericks. 

bearpaw28 and Bertogliat reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

My guess is Chaz's mom is filling out the portal entry paperwork as I type and will next work on his Tweet announcing his intentions enter said portal.  It has been satisfying to watch that train wreck all season.

HandyNotDan reacted
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 737

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Hastings or Rohlik?

My money would be on Rohlik. Wisconsin alumni, obviously very familiar with the Big Ten, and it seems unclear how much OSU is willing to invest in their men’s hockey program with the details of the new arena up in the air. 
But who knows, as us gopher fans saw with Motzko, the lure of a traditional, big time program and a brand name school might be enough to pull Hastings away from the Mavericks. 

Keep in mind also that Bucky is on the hook immediately for:

- Paul Chryst buyout

- Luke Fickell additional salary

- Football assistants additional salary

- $1M Granato buyout

- Osieki buyout

And that is before hiring the new guy. 

They saw a decline in football revenue, basketball struggled this year at the gate compared to previous years, and the Kohl Center was hilariously empty for hockey too.  So they aren't exactly swimming in immediate cash.

I will bet O$U gives Rohlik an extension and pay raise also to stay, and he is going nowhere until the Buckeyes season is over.  So who staffs the fort (and recruits the transfer portal and keeps people home) until the Frozen Four?   

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Money Bills GIF by Anderson .Paak

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

I have to believe that Rholik would be the homerun hire? Hastings is probably the best fit if they want to continue playing the garbage brand of hockey that Wisco loves.

Bertogliat reacted

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

How about Nate Leaman from Providence? He should be up there. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @j22

I have to believe that Rholik would be the homerun hire? Hastings is probably the best fit if they want to continue playing the garbage brand of hockey that Wisco loves.

Granato was supposed to be the Homerun hire...hell people around here called him and his staff a dream team and lamented we wouldnt do that.  Just saying...

Not sure I buy he would leave OSU to stay in conference but stranger things have happened.  It won't be cheap though. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @bertogliat

My guess is Chaz's mom is filling out the portal entry paperwork as I type and will next work on his Tweet announcing his intentions enter said portal.  It has been satisfying to watch that train wreck all season.

I hate to be an ambulance chaser, but I am also looking forward to seeing where his next landing spot will be. It should be free entertainment.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Well I am sure his press agent here will tell us all about it...haven't seen much of him this year 😉

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Hastings or Rohlik?

Can't say I would be shocked if Rohlik took the gig, but Hastings would be a seismic event.  He has no ties to Wisco at all, and Wisco, much like the Gophers,like to get "one of us" for the hire.  Maybe more so for Wisco.  

I could see Steve Miller taking it on.  Been an assistant/associate forever and if he wants to take that step, it would make sense.  He may just be the kind of guy that likes the lower pressure of being an asst.?

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @handyman

Posted by: @j22

Granato was supposed to be the Homerun hire...hell people around here called him and his staff a dream team and lamented we wouldnt do that.  Just saying...

Not sure I buy he would leave OSU to stay in conference but stranger things have happened.  It won't be cheap though. 

Yeah, but Rohlik has actually proven he can coach a hockey team. I just figured the fact that he's an alum would be the selling point. It's certainly possible that Rohlik has no interest in leaving OSU

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Another possibility is Dan Muse, head coach of the USNTDP.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

I don't see Rohlik leaving despite their issues with a venue. I think the B1G has elevated OSU hockey beyond where they were in the CCHA and I doubt local talent in WI is that much greater than in OH. OSU hockey used to be an afterthought but no longer relatively speaking.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @slap-shot

I don't see Rohlik leaving despite their issues with a venue. I think the B1G has elevated OSU hockey beyond where they were in the CCHA and I doubt local talent in WI is that much greater than in OH. OSU hockey used to be an afterthought but no longer relatively speaking.

Ceiling might be higher at Wisco but higher pressure also I would think.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Here is who Todd mentions-

David Carle, Pat Ferschweiler, Mike Hastings, Brett Larson, Steve Rohlik

I don't see Carle leaving unless it is for a HUGE payday.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1632875879939338242

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

If it’s Brett Larson or Mike Hastings it would be hilarious to watch the meltdown from either fan base. In particular Larson because Motzko just left Cloud a few years ago. The hand wringing and mental gymnastics would be wildly entertaining. “How could (insert either coach) leave and betray the school that made them!? Leave a ‘real hockey school’ for Wisconsin!? Has to be the money right!? He’s just greedy, that’s it. There’s no way he’d leave otherwise. Big Ten hockey sucks after all!” ?

ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 203

Is money really going to be an issue for any Big Ten school?  Don't they annually get checks for like $80 million from TV rights?  Seems like Badgers might be able to go to $500k to get someone they like.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

A lot of people on here seem to think OSU to Wisconsin is a lateral move. I disagree and especially with Rohlik being an alum there’s definitely plenty of incentive there. Although the “incentive” that matters the most is money and it sounds like Wisconsin’s cupboards are pretty bare?

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

A lot of people on here seem to think OSU to Wisconsin is a lateral move. I disagree and especially with Rohlik being an alum there’s definitely plenty of incentive there. Although the “incentive” that matters the most is money and it sounds like Wisconsin’s cupboards are pretty bare?

I agree that OSU to UW is a step up in many ways.  Plus, he's "one of them."  I just wonder if the $$$ is an issue given all the dead money they are paying right now.  Rohlik is currently making $500K as it is and is signed through 25-26 so I think Wisco might have to give a bump or incentives to help sweeten the deal.  Larson has a deal through 27-28, so there is likely a buyout to cover as well.

OutofState OutofMind
(@outofstateoutofmind)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 283

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Another possibility is Dan Muse, head coach of the USNTDP.

Mike McMahon seems to think Muse is the favorite.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

It seems that hiring a program guy would be the way to go if you want to turn things around quickly. Isn't the Sparty coach the former program guy?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

The few comments I’ve read online show some would like to look at coaches with no connection to get a fresh start.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

There has been a bunch of lively discussions on twitter including Dan "Horns Down" Myers trying to rationalize why Hastings won't leave Kato. 

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

Anyone want to hazard a guess on how many recruits we could see de-committing? 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

To be honest, none. They knew it was a train wreck when they committed. If anything this is an improvement. My point is that I think their recruits were drawn to the school and the program more than the coaches but I guess we’ll see. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

There might be a couple. Depends on style of the new coach. Aggressive offense approach, not a trap but it's a trap approach. Depends on the player's style. 

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2522
Post on old board: 6782

Posted by: @frozen4champs

There has been a bunch of lively discussions on twitter including Dan "Horns Down" Myers trying to rationalize why Hastings won't leave Kato. 

Dan Myers makes most of the Cow fanbase seem sensible.

https://twitter.com/DanMyers/status/1632855547220307968

Hastings was a shoo-in for the coach at the U?

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2899
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @g-manpuck
Hastings was a shoo-in for the coach at the U?

with GIF

Forget it, he’s rolling

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

From the uw AD:

"What Wisconsin values .....blah blah blah......But I'm confident that that person exist....blah blah blah...."

Found that person!! ? ? 

Drunk Falling GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Dan also made a point of Tweeting that "Mark Osiecki is a fantastic hockey coach."

mmm kay

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 588

I have heard that Wisconsin AD Chris MacIntosh has already had discussions with Dan Muse, the coach of the NTDP U18 team.  I am guessing they also reach out to Rholik.  Another name I have heard is Mankato assistant Todd Knott, who does most of the recruiting for Hastings and is highly regarded.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

To be honest, none. They knew it was a train wreck when they committed. If anything this is an improvement. My point is that I think their recruits were drawn to the school and the program more than the coaches but I guess we’ll see. 

I wouldn’t be too sure about that.  Take a look at their top recruits social media likes.  I think some (probably not all) may be considering re-opening their commitments if they can get out of their NLI.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @chill-kessel

It seems that hiring a program guy would be the way to go if you want to turn things around quickly. Isn't the Sparty coach the former program guy?

My money is on either Muse or Rholik.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2522
Post on old board: 6782

Posted by: @mnstate0fhockey

Another name I have heard is Mankato assistant Todd Knott, who does most of the recruiting for Hastings and is highly regarded.

If Knott gets a chance, good for him.  Hastings has nothing but high praise for him and Knott is well regarded in the community as well.  My co-worker has a son who plays hockey with Knott's son, so the dad's have shared some beers at tournaments.  My co-worker has nothing but great things to say about him.  So again, if Knott gets a chance for this because his time is too far out here in Mankato...good for him.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Page 30 / 44