88 Users
746 Reactions
71.9 K Views
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5062
Post on old board: 10695

I've got 9+ up for the Women and MSU/ND up on Fox sports app right now.  Likely to have a pair of BTN+ windows open tonight.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8301
Post on old board: 35040

you get MSU/ND? Is the app different? 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

you get MSU/ND? Is the app different? 

It's on FS2/Fox Sports App.  I get it with my cable package.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4200
Post on old board: 9428

@the-rube FS2 is on YTTV, I thought that was your provider….?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I have the bare-bones Comcast, I get CNN, TBS, and some crappy Buzzer, Movie, EWTN channels besides the networks. That's it. 
BUT I do get Fox9+ and that's where I get to see the Gopher women/etc when they pick those games up. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Looking like Michigan State going to take it to game 3 vs ND. Gophs look light years better than both of these teams, which I only mention as it does feel like the top flight teams this year are much better than the middle tier rather than a year where it’s a chip and a chance type of make the postseason kind of year. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

It only took a full decade, but MSU finally gets their first B1G playoff victory.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

I have the bare-bones Comcast, I get CNN, TBS, and some crappy Buzzer, Movie, EWTN channels besides the networks. That's it. 
BUT I do get Fox9+ and that's where I get to see the Gopher women/etc when they pick those games up. 

My mistake. It’s also kinda weird to see B10 hockey games on FS2.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Mel Pearson was just in the Michigan TV booth and on the air.. WTH

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Penn St wins in OT forcing a game 3.

Michigan is blowing out BADgers as expected. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Mel Pearson was just in the Michigan TV booth and on the air.. WTH

Redemption tour?

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Not so fast there fella….

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

SCSU is tanking to get that #8 spot against us in the regionals. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @bigbeer

Tie game…unexpectedly.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I will take full responsibility ? 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Posted by: @jwg

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

UMD also doing UMD things. Going on quite a little run to end the season. Still need to win the NCHC tourney, but have stepped it up. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

Not so fast there fella…

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

And Michigan comes on strong at the end with two goals less than a minute apart plus an ENG for a 7-4 final

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

It’s over.  And by that I mean Lucius’s season of bitterness.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Will Trader Moe transfer to the Whioux for his covid year? ? 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Since ND doesn't have any ads on their boards, it is a nice touch to have the numbers of their seniors on the boards.

Plus the boards are really clean for being so much white. Almost like they scrub them down after every practice and game. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

UMD stops skating with 20 seconds left in OT and Jan buries it 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

UMD stops skating with 20 seconds left in OT and Jan buries it 

Great pass to set up that shot, too.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Posted by: @gator

Since ND doesn't have any ads on their boards, it is a nice touch to have the numbers of their seniors on the boards.

Plus the boards are really clean for being so much white. Almost like they scrub them down after every practice and game. 

There's a puck mark removing solution that a lot of goalies use to clean up their pads. I assume they just scrub the boards with the same thing. Or they paint them. 

The brand new looking nets are often just spray painted white.

gator reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Way it looks now, regional more like MN-AHA winner, STC-Mi Tech looks much more possible. 

elimination game between mich st and ND coming up today

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Things I believe:

Ohio State is a good team.

Michigan is going to lose in the first round of the tourney, although fantilli might score 3 goals in the game.

Penn State is not that good.

MN, DU (and maybe Q?) are the only teams with a great chance to win it all. I would take MN and DU vs. the field

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I would not look past the Q. I remember the same questions back when Union won it all. Yeah, I know, sorry to bring up bad memories. 🙁 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @chris-eckes

Things I believe:

Ohio State is a good team.

Michigan is going to lose in the first round of the tourney, although fantilli might score 3 goals in the game.

Penn State is not that good.

MN, DU (and maybe Q?) are the only teams with a great chance to win it all. I would take MN and DU vs. the field

agree on OSU. Good but not great. Will be all about the matchup they get but I wouldn’t be surprised if they get out of their regional or lose right away. 

I think Michigan wins their first game but I’d put them as the most likely 1 seed to lose their first game due to them falling asleep for portions of games, the same way they dropped so many random games during the course of the B10 season. Don’t think I can see them stringing it together for 4 games, but think they can put talent a team like Alaska or Cornell. Mankato based on style could give them some trouble though

PSU finished 6th in the conference for a reason. They’re another good not great team. 

if you could get MN, DU and QU, I could see the argument. However All of them have also needed crazy comebacks throughout this season (Denver just last night vs a bad CC team) numerous times. Hockey is weird in a one and done format. If it was best of 7, then for sure. But there will be 10-12 teams who could seemingly win it all. It’s part of why futures betting is so Lucrative for gambling industries. That being said, there’s a reason MN and DU are the favorites. I just don’t think it’s quite that written in stone that they both have THAT much better odds than the rest of the field, probably 4 seeds notwithstanding. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Sorry @the-rube  --Upset alert-- The Whioux fans 2nd favorite team (#7 seed Holy Cross) beat the #2 seed AIC in the Atlantic Hockey playoffs in OT of the 3rd game. 

Former Gopher Boynton played 20 minutes in one game this year for AIC.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 344

@the-rube  , Good call out on the Union Comp, that team went on a tear in the 2nd half. The Q are hard to judge whether they are good or Elite, the possibility of a Union like run cant be dismissed. 

@chris-eckes  , I think your on point with Denver & Gophers being the top teams but I would take the the remaining 14 teams over the top 2 teams pretty much every time in NCAA Hockey.  In the last 19 years the top 4 seeds have won it all just ~58% of the time. 

Emotionally I am all in on this team, This is the team, this is the year to break the Championship drought.....but the history of this tournament helps me hedge my expectations a bit. So hopefully if the Gophers do fall short, I wont feel like I did back in 1999. 

trixR4kids reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

@the-rube  , Good call out on the Union Comp, that team went on a tear in the 2nd half. The Q are hard to judge whether they are good or Elite, the possibility of a Union like run cant be dismissed. 

@chris-eckes  , I think your on point with Denver & Gophers being the top teams but I would take the the remaining 14 teams over the top 2 teams pretty much every time in NCAA Hockey.  In the last 19 years the top 4 seeds have won it all just ~58% of the time. 

-- attachment is not available --

Emotionally I am all in on this team, This is the team, this is the year to break the Championship drought.....but the history of this tournament helps me hedge my expectations a bit. So hopefully if the Gophers do fall short, I wont feel like I did back in 1999. 

do you happen to know if the breakdown by exact seed exists? That would be interesting to me but am too lazy to go run it myself for that many years 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Lots of great seats available in Columbus this afternoon.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

No score after 1 in Columbus. OSU had a goal called back for goaltender interference.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

No score after 1 in Columbus. OSU had a goal called back for goaltender interference.

I'd really want to see that overhead view the refs were looking at, because the replay they showed didn't look like interference at all.

And PSU up 1-0 currently.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

OSU gets another goal waved off (kicked in), but gets a PP on the play, then score on the PP to tie it.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

OSU leads 2-1 after 2

MSU and ND tied at 1 after 1

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

MSU and ND tied at 1 after 1

Both Ben Holden and Paul Caponigri look way different on the BIG than the GOL podcast.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Ohio St wins 3-1.  They will play @ Michigan. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Almost sounds like more Sparty fans then Notre Dame fans in South Bend tonight.

upnorthkid reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

Some 2 seed is gonna be happy to see PSU in their region. Boy they stink. 

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

@upnorthkid 

I looked up the pairwise # for the championship teams of the last 19 years, see Charts below.

I think a sample of 19 is too small to draw any confident conclusions for an individual pairwise seed's expected performance, but grouping the results into the #1,2,3,4 seed tiers effectively gives you 4x the data points, at the cost of detail. Prior to 2003 the tournament had a different setup, with only 12 teams, byes.... so hesitate to include more years in the data set.

For all of us gopher fans it is a bit discouraging to see the #1 seed has won only 4 of 19 Titles. I think the biggest surprise in the data is that the #2 seeds (AKA pairwise #s 5,6,7,8) as a group have won the Title at basically the same rate as the #3 & #4 seeds.

You could argue that the two #4 seed championships (Yale 2013,  Providence 2015) are anomalies. But my gut says no and that we will get another #4 seed coming out on top in the next 5-10 yrs. In a single elimination hockey tourney you are going to get surprising results fairly often. 

upnorthkid reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

@upnorthkid 

I looked up the pairwise # for the championship teams of the last 19 years, see Charts below.

I think a sample of 19 is too small to draw any confident conclusions for an individual pairwise seed's expected performance, but grouping the results into the #1,2,3,4 seed tiers effectively gives you 4x the data points, at the cost of detail. Prior to 2003 the tournament had a different setup, with only 12 teams, byes.... so hesitate to include more years in the data set.

For all of us gopher fans it is a bit discouraging to see the #1 seed has won only 4 of 19 Titles. I think the biggest surprise in the data is that the #2 seeds (AKA pairwise #s 5,6,7,8) as a group have won the Title at basically the same rate as the #3 & #4 seeds.

You could argue that the two #4 seed championships (Yale 2013,  Providence 2015) are anomalies. But my gut says no and that we will get another #4 seed coming out on top in the next 5-10 yrs. In a single elimination hockey tourney you are going to get surprising results fairly often. 

this is awesome data. Think the generalized argument is probably that the chip and a chance idea absolutely applies, but that there are inevitably 4 or so teams each year who are the “best” teams. Takes something special to take them out, but they win more years than not. And I think this speaks to that after the first 4, everyone aside from the 16 is relatively equal 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Clearly the Gopher/Quinnipiac battle for #1 overall is critical. After all the #1 overall is four times more likely to win the natty than the #2 overall. ? 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

What I got out of that is I’m pissed Denver has won 4 times and UMD 3 times since we have. Gross. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

It'll be interesting to see (after a few years, to get a big enough sample size) on how the transfer portal affects the stats, if they affect them at all. 

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

@the-rube 

My guess is the transfer portal helps the top teams (Gophers, Michigan, Boston U....) who effectively get a second chance at identifying top talent and filling in any holes. This is assuming the best Transfer portal players want to play for the top teams. 

But you have to have available spots to take advantage of the portal, we saw the gophers let talent go this year due to the incoming recruits. Perhaps the mid tier teams who have a weaker pipeline of recruits and thus more flexibility can take better advantage of the portal, hard to say.

Also the portal talent pool could be reduced/change once we get thru all the players with COVID 5th year eligibility. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

As we saw with Moe, sometimes that portal backfires. If one transfers, one thinks, "2nd line/3rd line on a top team, or I can be on the top line of a so-so team, stand out, and get noticed."
Imagine if Moe went to DU, or the Q, or something. That's a big change in fortune. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Fargo, North Dakota

#1 Minnesota vs. #16 RIT (Atlantic winner)

#7 St. Cloud vs. #10 Ohio State

Manchester, New Hampshire

#4 Michigan vs. #13 Alaska

#5 Boston University vs. #12 Mankato

Bridgeport, Connecticut

#2 Quinnipiac vs. #15 Merrimack

#6 Harvard vs. #11 Michigan Tech

Allentown, Pennsylvania

#3 Denver vs. #14 Cornell

#8 Penn State vs. #9 Western Michigan

Quinnipiac being only 25 miles from Bridgeport is why I put Denver in Allentown, PA.

Page 29 / 44