2,176 Posts
88 Users
746 Reactions
71.9 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

I wonder if the NCAA permits any last second exhibition games vs Stonehill or something like that. I’d consider it if I were in OSU or PSU’s position. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

who cares family guy GIF

I've bit my tongue on that gif so many times this season and I just can't hold it back any longer.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1631002049318977546

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @handyman

People worry way too much about this stuff.  If we aren't good enough to beat SCCC in Fargo how are we going to beat them in Tampa?

For me the point is the #1 seed earns the right to play a lower ranked team and shouldn't be forced to have the top #2 seed in their region.  Why have a ranking system at all if you're just going to screw western teams because you have 3 Eastern regions that can't sell ticket without shenanigans?

And for the record, I am not worried about it as much as I am explaining it... and think the possibility is laughable.

It is what is.  Until college hockey stops worrying about regional attendance this stuff will happen.  I guess I don't find it that laughable since sooner or later we all benefit from it.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

If I were placing bets on how things shake out in the pairwise through conference tournaments I’d wager the four 2 seeds to be BU, Harvard, St. Cloud and Western (in any order) and the 3 seeds to be OSU, PSU, Tech and Cornell. How the committee decides to distribute them out is anyone’s guess but I bet we end up with St. Cloud or Western. 

Still plenty of hockey to move teams up or down. 

Under this scenario the two seed in Fargo would likely be St. Cloud or Western Michigan which ever is ranked lower in which case there would not be #1 overall and #5 overall in the same regional. 

Penn State losing in the first round of the Big Ten playoffs this weekend at Ohio State will likely cause Penn State to end up as a #3 seed especially if the Buckeyes win the series in two games.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @slap-shot

who cares family guy GIF

I've bit my tongue on that gif so many times this season and I just can't hold it back any longer.

Sometimes there are teams that match up tougher than others for your team, such as Denver in 2002. It helped that they were beaten by Michigan and that Minnesota didn't have to play them in the regionals. Of course, Michigan was no cake walk, but even Potulny once said that Denver was the tougher opponent that year and maybe was in the Gophers' head a little bit.

St. Cloud could be one of those teams, as is Mankato, even though I think Minnesota is better than both of these teams by a fair margin . Somehow, they figure out how to level the ice when they play the Gophers.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I think we match up really well with the Huskies. Especially the post Anhorn injury Huskies which seem to be an entirely different team altogether. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

who cares family guy GIF

Sometimes there are teams that match up tougher than others for your team, such as Denver in 2002. It helped that they were beaten by Michigan and that Minnesota didn't have to play them in the regionals. Of course, Michigan was no cake walk, but even Potulny once said that Denver was the tougher opponent that year and maybe was in the Gophers' head a little bit.

St. Cloud could be one of those teams, as is Mankato, even though I think Minnesota is better than both of these teams by a fair margin . Somehow, they figure out how to level the ice when they play the Gophers.

I understand the premise and I still don't care. In a one and done you might get lucky or you might get unlucky.  Play hockey.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I think we match up really well with the Huskies. Especially the post Anhorn injury Huskies which seem to be an entirely different team altogether. 

In their last eight games St. Cloud has 1 win, 4 loses, and 3 ties.

On the season St. Cloud is giving up an average of 2.3 goals a game.

Over the past eight games they've given up 29 goals which is 3.6 goals per game.

They've been without Anhorn for the past 9 games. Hmmm  

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Over the past eight games they've given up 29 goals which is 3.6 goals per game.

I agree that St. Cloud has definitely lost steam and I would be fine with them in our region if they fall back in the pairwise. I don't want to see Denver or Michigan until Tampa. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

I agree that St. Cloud has definitely lost steam and I would be fine with them in our region if they fall back in the pairwise. I don't want to see Denver or Michigan until Tampa. 

as someone who’s booked Tampa already, I agree. They’re the teams who worry me the most

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Not sure where to put this but Erik Portillo traded to the Kings from Buf. 

Staples Arena is said to have the strongest net pegs in North America. “I’ll be the judge of that” said Portillo when reached for comment. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Not sure where to put this but Erik Portillo traded to the Kings from Buf. 

Staples Arena is said to have the strongest net pegs in North America. “I’ll be the judge of that” said Portillo when reached for comment. 

In related news: Erik Portillo just demanded a trade to the Arizona Coyotes who recently outlawed net pegs and are using tooth picks instead.

When reached for comment Erik stated "It's important to find the right place where I can use my best asset to the fullest."

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 877
Post on old board: 5335

Both USCHO bracketologists DO put #5 St Cloud in Fargo with us.

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1631085378093416451?t=ojLpUB8qHX_CyMrnAJ-h6w&s=19

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @gopherguy05

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1631085378093416451?t=ojLpUB8qHX_CyMrnAJ-h6w&s=19

well first I’d try not have 2 big ten teams in the same bracket… proceeds to have 2 brackets each with 2 big ten teams. 

these both were rough brackets overall to say the least. Are we prioritizing integrity or this fake “attendance” bullshit that doesn’t even remotely change the attendance? Fargo is basically sold out as it is. The tickets are gone. It needs no help. The other 3 brackets will be crap attendance regardless

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7719
Post on old board: 10120

Here’s what’s left in Fargo through ticketbastard:

We got ours! 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @upnorthkid

well first I’d try not have 2 big ten teams in the same bracket… proceeds to have 2 brackets each with 2 big ten teams. 

these both were rough brackets overall to say the least. Are we prioritizing integrity or this fake “attendance” bullshit that doesn’t even remotely change the attendance? Fargo is basically sold out as it is. The tickets are gone. It needs no help. The other 3 brackets will be crap attendance regardless

they will sell tickets in Bridgeport if you put QU there.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8301
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @cowgirl

-- attachment is not available --

We got ours! 

Allegedly it's about $20 per ticket and $37.50 in fees. Allegedly. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Seems like a strong assumption on your part.  Does QU have a big following?

(Honest Question)

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

From my understanding, small but diehard. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Every Q student (undergrad and grad) could fit in Mariucci seats at the same time and I believe a few seats would still be empty.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

We got ours! 

$109 for the two game package. Plus $13 in fees.  

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @the-rube

We got ours! 

$109 for the two game package. Plus $13 in fees.  

Think I may just buy Saturday.  Can't miss that much work right now.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

10% is not horrible. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

(Honest Question)

Quinnipiac (Hamden, Conn) is only 25 miles from Bridgeport, Conn 

Their home rink capacity is shown as 3,300 but lately their attendance has typically been closer to 3,600 (definitely selling out). One would hope if placed in that regional those people and maybe some more would drive the half hour to Bridgeport.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Bought our tickets for Saturday tonight! Will most likely go Thursday also, waiting on wife’s work schedule.

Are we assuming the Gophers will get the early game on Thursday or is it based on TV? I’d think the 1 seed gets the choice on game time, but I’m not certain. 

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

From what I recall years ago they gave the 1 seed the early game in Fargo, but I do not feel super confident that they didn't get to choose.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

So people have already chalked up Thursday as a win and are focusing on buying Saturday tickets? Hopefully RIT (or who ever wins the Atlantic Hockey tournament) doesn't read GPL.

If they happen to pull the upset I don't want to hear after the game their players talking about how Gophers fans on GPL just buying tickets for Saturday was motivation for them. ? #IKid

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

Assuming if the latest bracketology plays out & Q ends up playing kato, I believe they will have played each other twice in the last 3 years - both times in the regional semifinals.

I can just picture hearing Bucci hype up the two most winningest programs in recent years from two “tough” conferences..

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @minnesota_knies218

Assuming if the latest bracketology plays out & Q ends up playing kato, I believe they will have played each other twice in the last 3 years - both times in the regional semifinals.

I can just picture hearing Bucci hype up the two most winningest programs in recent years from two “tough” conferences..

Can't stand Bucci doing play by play.  Also can't stand Starman or Ritchlin.  

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1340

We got ours! 

You should have waited until after UND loses in the Nacho tourney - Stub Hub will be inundated with center ice tickets. Laugh  

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

(Honest Question)

I am not saying they'll sell out an 8,400 seat arena, but they might sell most of those seats.  From what I've seen of video snipets of home games they seem to have a strong fanbase and remind me of a cross between Penn State and Cornell.

27288784 FF5F 4128 9B9E EA56F1BC8D0B

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I mean, Mariucci would be rocking at 3600 capacity too 😉

I'm not crapping on QU, I just don't think they have enough fans to really consider them a lock to draw.  They might bring most of their fans but that isn't enough to guarantee anything ya know.  They will need another local draw to help. 

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @mnnavy

We got ours! 

You should have waited until after UND loses in the Nacho tourney - Stub Hub will be inundated with center ice tickets. Laugh  

If that actually does happen I may have to upgrade my seats and just sell off my lesser seats.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @mnnavy

We got ours! 

If that actually does happen I may have to upgrade my seats and just sell off my lesser seats.

id rather give my money to ticketbastard, hawks fans would most likely try to sell them for more than face anyways.  
we can just move to all the empty seats Smile

Steve MN reacted

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1631356968085381141

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @minnesota_knies218

Can't stand Bucci doing play by play.  Also can't stand Starman or Ritchlin.  

Yeah, I’m with you on that. Watched both regional games on mute last year. If I was forced to listen to one of those 3, I’d take Ritchlin - I think he’s better than the other two (imo)… At least with Ritchlin you get to hear Matvick so that helps.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Starman has grown on me.  I think he's very good at his job when he's not kissing UND's arse.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Starman has grown on me.

I think they make a cream or pill to get rid of that

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Starman has grown on me.

I think they make a cream or pill to get rid of that

Coming for an expert you might be onto something. 

Chill Kessel reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Am I getting soft cause none of the guys mentioned bug me

HandyNotDan reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5062
Post on old board: 10695

Current PWR breakdown by conference in visual format:

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

I'd like to avoid SCSU and MSU-Mankato if possible because their style of play just seems to trip us up.  I'd rather play Michigan.

But, the NHL has proven any sort of bracket integrity or "earning" of a path doesn't mean anything in their stupid format.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Looks like UMD at SCSU will be on TV tonight at 7:30 pm (Fox9+) as well as CC @ Denver at 9 pm (CBS Sports).

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2513
Post on old board: 6782

Tell me if anyone had Alaska Fairbanks higher in the Pairwise at the end of the regular season than Minnesota State on their bingo card?

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

gator and Steve MN reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Tell me if anyone had Alaska Fairbanks higher in the Pairwise at the end of the regular season than Minnesota State on their bingo card?

As well as UMD and UND.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I know I sure didn't have Fairbanks that high.

On the more immediate front, I think the MSU/ND game is on NBC sports streaming tonight, starting at 6 CT.

Driftryder reacted
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

Love this time of year when the MN High School Hockey Tourney and NCAA conference tourneys get going. Good times...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @steve-mn

I know I sure didn't have Fairbanks that high.

On the more immediate front, I think the MSU/ND game is on NBC sports streaming tonight, starting at 6 CT.

The MSU/ND is another example of goofy streaming. Normally the ND home games are exclusively on Peacock/NBC sports, but this series is on FS2 TV, so it will be streamed on the Fox sports app. Yes, you need a chart to try to figure out what games are where sometimes. The other 2 B1G series are on BTN+. 

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Steve MN reacted

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I may have two ways to watch that game tonight.

Page 27 / 44