746 Reactions
72 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @gopherfun83

There will be at least a few upsets on conference tournaments this year. Do you think that UMD or UND can win the NCHC tournament and sneak in. MN State most likely will have to win at least a couple of more games depending how it all ends up. Anyway what do you think?

If UMD or UND wins the NCHC, they are in. Though I don’t see how both can get in. Cause about the only way they can get in is winning the NCHC tourney. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @gator

There will be at least a few upsets on conference tournaments this year. Do you think that UMD or UND can win the NCHC tournament and sneak in. MN State most likely will have to win at least a couple of more games depending how it all ends up. Anyway what do you think?

If UMD or UND wins the NCHC, they are in. Though I don’t see how both can get in. Cause about the only way they can get in is winning the NCHC tourney. 

yeah they both can’t get in for sure. they’re both going to have to go on the road and take 2/3 from one of Omaha, WMU or St. Cloud then beat another of those 2 (or Denver pending how the games go) and then steal another one. Don’t think either has the horses to do it. 

On top of that, UMD is 3 games under 500. If they get swept this weekend, they can’t make the tournament (would only have 4 games left and can’t get back to .500). 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

Posted by: @upnorthkid

On top of that, UMD is 3 games under 500. If they get swept this weekend, they can’t make the tournament (would only have 4 games left and can’t get back to .500). 

Unless they win the NCHC tournament. The .500 rule only applies to at-large bids. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Penalty shots happen in games probably at a similar clip as 3x3.  Both ways suck for deciding who is the "better" team.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @handyman

Penalty shots happen in games probably at a similar clip as 3x3.  Both ways suck for deciding who is the "better" team.

What about 3X3 loses the "team" aspect of hockey?

gator reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8303
Post on old board: 35040

The depth. One team can have 3 individual players that are better, but the rest of the team isn't really good. That is my best guess at that take. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

I would say 3 on 3 is a much rarer breed, but even so, what do penalty shots have to do with it? A penalty shot is called during play for good cause and isn't remotely the same as a shootout for obvious reasons.   

In the past 10 years, roughly a third of all NHL penalty shots attempted went in the net. Thats about 10 percentage points higher than an average powerplay conversion rate, or about the same rate if we're talking about the Edmonton Oilers. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable penalty when an unimpeded scoring opportunity is taken from a team. If a player thinks that a penalty shot would "suck for deciding who is the better team," then I guess he shouldn't trip a player from behind who's two strides ahead of him on his way to the net.  

The NHL gets exactly what it wants out of the 3 on 3 overtime. Games are often decided before going to a shootout, and it's an exciting showcase of talent for the fans. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

The depth. One team can have 3 individual players that are better, but the rest of the team isn't really good. That is my best guess at that take. 

Sure, 3 individual players may favor the weaker team (like the Wild with Kaprisov), but then, by that logic, the game is terribly flawed in the firstplace, because of the enormous impact the goalie has on the game.  

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @j22

What about 3X3 loses the "team" aspect of hockey?

Who said it did?  That wasn't my point at all.  The point is it's a stupid way to decide a winner and that the "it happens in games" is a cop-out because it happens rarely.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

I would say 3 on 3 is a much rarer breed, but even so, what do penalty shots have to do with it? A penalty shot is called during play for good cause and isn't remotely the same as a shootout for obvious reasons.   

In the past 10 years, roughly a third of all NHL penalty shots attempted went in the net. Thats about 10 percentage points higher than an average powerplay conversion rate, or about the same rate if we're talking about the Edmonton Oilers. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable penalty when an unimpeded scoring opportunity is taken from a team. If a player thinks that a penalty shot would "suck for deciding who is the better team," then I guess he shouldn't trip a player from behind who's two strides ahead of him on his way to the net.  

The NHL gets exactly what it wants out of the 3 on 3 overtime. Games are often decided before going to a shootout, and it's an exciting showcase of talent for the fans. 

We aren't the NHL.  They need 3x3 because of the talent level.  College is different.  College should not strive to be the NHL.

And are you really saying a penalty shot is different than a shootout opportunity?  We will just have to disagree on that. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

We aren't the NHL.  They need 3x3 because of the talent level.  College is different.  College should not strive to be the NHL.

And are you really saying a penalty shot is different than a shootout opportunity?  We will just have to disagree on that. 

Given that during play in a game a penalty shot is awarded for an egregious penalty that prevented a one on zero to the goal, yes, it's 100% different. A penalty shot is a perfectly proportional response to this infraction. A player closing his hand on a puck to save a goal results in a penalty shot. Throwing a stick to thwart a puck from going into an empty net results in a goal. See a pattern here?  The rules don't let players get away with this stuff, and the penalty for doing it is stiff.

The one way a penalty shot is the same as a shootout is that it's one shooter against the goaltender—that's self-evident. But then, you could make the same claim about a breakaway. Should those be eliminated, too? Of course not. Breakaways come during play as a result of an opponents' mistakes, bad line changes, bad luck, whatever. Penalty shots come as a result of obvious, goal-depriving penalties—and only in the rarest circumstances. Even so, the conversion rate is 1 out of 3, which tracks with NHL full-breakaway conversions. Lining up a bunch of players to shoot on a goalie after the game is over, on the other hand, is a terrible way to determine a winner and an unforgiveable way to crown a champion.

As for college during the regular season, why not 3 on 3? Fans appear to love it. I mean, they sure get up and cheer when their teams win, and the players clear the benches to mob the player who scores. Seems like it works. Just because college hockey has adopted the 3 on 3 doesn't mean they "strive to be the NHL." That's a leap in logic. With all the CFB and Contact to the Head calls, I would say it's patently obvious they do not seek to mimic NHL standards.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

3x3 doesn't bother me entirely in so much as the desired outcome is to avoid a tie, and I'd rather see a tie end 3x3 than via a shootout.  It's still "closer to pure" hockey short of them going with 5x5. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

Opinions stated.  Nobody is going to change their mind.

Cowgirl and Kelly Red reacted
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

As long as the Gophers have the best line in all of college hockey, I'm ok with 3 on 3. Retro Goldy Retro Goldy Retro Goldy  

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7912

I wonder if the pros outweigh the obvious cons in putting all 3 of Knies, Cooley and Snuggerud out there in 3v3. We’re past the 3 on 3 point of the season so I guess we’ll never know…

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

I’m not much of a video game person. I do have a NES Mini to play every now and then. Though I remember on SEGA there was a game ‘NBA Jams’. It was 2x2 basketball. A game similar for hockey, but 3x3 would be fun.

Keep your stick on the ice...

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

NES had a 3x3 hockey game back in the day. 
Edit: might have been 4x4

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @karlsson

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Unless they win the NCHC tournament. The .500 rule only applies to at-large bids. 

ah is it? Thought it was for all qualifiers. Thanks for the clarification!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I believe @karlssson is correct. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4509
Post on old board: 12555

Otherwise it’s possible for a conference to have zero teams in the NCAA, which they’d like to avoid

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

So it seems we are almost certain to be in Fargo?  If true, who is going up?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5065
Post on old board: 10695

If we're in Fargo, I'm going.  I know at least a couple other GPLers are planning on it as well.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

I’ll be there if the Gophers are in Fargo 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Listening to the USCHO podcast it sounds like in order to try to get good attendance at regionals they might have to throw a little bracket integrity out the window. 1 seeds still play 4 seeds and 3 seeds still play 2 seeds, but within those “bands” there might be a lot of movement. 

Side note: I don’t know why I still listen to that podcast they mention the Big 10 in passing then go on to talk about Atlantic hockey for 10 minutes. Know your audience guys. 

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Anyone know which end/side of the rink would be for the Gophers?  Will you be able to buy tickets through the team or is it all through Ticketmaster?

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1392

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Listening to the USCHO podcast it sounds like in order to try to get good attendance at regionals they might have to throw a little bracket integrity out the window. 1 seeds still play 4 seeds and 3 seeds still play 2 seeds, but within those “bands” there might be a lot of movement. 

Side note: I don’t know why I still listen to that podcast they mention the Big 10 in passing then go on to talk about Atlantic hockey for 10 minutes. Know your audience guys. 

I feel like while they talk about throwing out bracket integrity, the NCAA committees have really stuck to it the last couple years. I guess we'll see as they're much more connected to it than I am.

https://www.uscho.com/2022/03/20/d-i-mens-ice-hockey-chair-kemp-explains-committee-decisions-on-2022-ncaa-tournament-seeding-sites/

I guess the real answer is they just make it up as they go and there are new people in charge... Joshua Richelew-Michigan, Timothy Troville-Harvard, Jeff Schulman-Vermont, Rick Gotkin-Mercyhurst, Bob Daniels-Ferris State... seeing the smaller schools represented heavily here makes me worried that they'll have a different perspective than I'd take on the NCAA tournament.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Last week they were talking about a potential 2 vs 7 match up of Penn State and Quinnipiac.  Penn State has to stay in their hosted Allentown region, but they may want to move QU to Connecticut for attendance.

This week we look at the PWR

If Penn St ends up 8th (where the currently sit) they might have to move them away form MN so MN can play at Fargo, for attendance.

They'd probably also like to keep current #6 BU in Manchester.  That would leave MN having to face either current #7 Harvard or current #5 St Cloud.  If they put St Cloud in Fargo with MN over Harvard, there should be riots.  

Also worrisome is Michigan is sitting in the #4PWR, but just 0.003 points above St Cloud.  If St Cloud end up#4 and Michigan #5, would they consider sending Michigan to Fargo?  Again, riot.

It may sound implausible to send Michigan to Fargo as the #5, but they will also want to avoid having 3 or 4 B1G teams in the Frozen Four.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5599
Post on old board: 15786

Fargo does not have many tickets left... Attendance is not an issue there. I just do not see MN NOT being there unless UND goes on a run and makes the tournament.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Fargo does not have many tickets left... Attendance is not an issue there. I just do not see MN NOT being there unless UND goes on a run and makes the tournament.

Minnesota will be there.  The question is will they have the #5 seed shoved into that region or the #7/8?  For bracket integrity they should have the #7/8.  But they may force the #5 for attendance purposes.  Not to boost attendance in Fargo, but in Manchester and Bridgeport.

How crappy would it be to have the #5 seed in the same region with the #1 seed to boost attendance on the East Coast?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Anyone know which end/side of the rink would be for the Gophers?  Will you be able to buy tickets through the team or is it all through Ticketmaster?

My understanding is tickets are all through Ticketmaster or Stub Hub. I am going to assume the Gophers would be in the same bench as the Fargo Force (see below), but that's just an assumption.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7720
Post on old board: 10120

I haven’t bought tickets yet…but see them slowly dwindling on ticketbastard.  
If the Gophers do not end up in Fargo - who most likely would be the reason - and would it be someone we’d have a shot at unloading tickets on?  I’m not too keen on spending $250 and possibly not recouping it should we get hosed and sent out east.  

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Minnesota will be there.  The question is will they have the #5 seed shoved into that region or the #7/8?  For bracket integrity they should have the #7/8.  But they may force the #5 for attendance purposes.  Not to boost attendance in Fargo, but in Manchester and Bridgeport.

How crappy would it be to have the #5 seed in the same region with the #1 seed to boost attendance on the East Coast?

Would be a total joke... What is the point of getting the 1 overall seed if you're going to be screwed by the committee?

I personally don't see this happening though, I say we all wait to see what happens before going nuclear. I would hope that we get the 7 and 10 pairing if Penn State lands in the 8 or 9 seed and gets shipped to Allentown.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

My understanding is tickets are all through Ticketmaster or Stub Hub. I am going to assume the Gophers would be in the same bench as the Fargo Force (see below), but that's just an assumption.

MN is known for taking the visitor bench when having the choice over the years. It matches what they do at Mariucci.

Get your own board!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

MN is known for taking the visitor bench when having the choice over the years. It matches what they do at Mariucci.

They are in the visitors bench at Mariucci?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Thanks Jup... I had no idea and was just making an educated guess

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

If the Gophers do not end up in Fargo - who most likely would be the reason - and would it be someone we’d have a shot at unloading tickets on?  I’m not too keen on spending $250 and possibly not recouping it should we get hosed and sent out east.  

If the Gophers don't end up in Fargo, the only reason I could think of would be NoDak getting into the tournament, and they move Minnesota out east somewhere.  I believe they've done that kind of thing in the past to protect the #1 overall seed (and in this case, help bracket integrity as well, as NoDak winning the NCHC tournament would likely put them ahead of the AHA winner.)

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

If the Gophers don't end up in Fargo, the only reason I could think of would be NoDak getting into the tournament, and they move Minnesota out east somewhere.  I believe they've done that kind of thing in the past to protect the #1 overall seed (and in this case, help bracket integrity as well, as NoDak winning the NCHC tournament would likely put them ahead of the AHA winner.)

that would be an easy sell then. ?

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

They are in the visitors bench at Mariucci?

Most home teams are in the left bench that faces the ice. MN does the opposite. So when they go to most other arenas, they are in the same bench they are used too. They prefer that bench at the X as well. So I can easily see them taking that bench if they have a choice in Fargo.

Get your own board!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

that would be an easy sell then. ?

Agreed.  And, I'm curious how many seats really are left.  I'm looking on TicketBa$tard right now, and I can get blocks of 6 seats in multiple sections.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Since currently 5-8 is St. Cloud, Boston University, Harvard, and Penn State. Penn State goes to Allentown as the host so therefore if BU and Harvard were to be put in Bridgeport, Conn and Manchester, NH for attendance reasons #5 St. Cloud is left for Fargo.

It likely won't end up this way since there will likely be movement in the #2 seed band but if it does end this way I think there is a good chance Harvard would be the #2 seed in Fargo since I suspect BU is a better attendance draw out east than Harvard.

St. Cloud dropping to 6-8 would seem to make it more likely for them to be the two seed in Fargo. This of course is all based on the Gopher finishing as the overall #1. 

Ohio State, Western Michigan or Michigan Tech who are currently 9-11 moving up to 7 or 8 would make it more likely one of them is the #2 seed in Fargo especially if it is Western Michigan or Michigan Tech. Since Ohio State is the most easterly western team (along with Penn State) I could see them being a team in one of the east regionals if things are close bracket integrity wise.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Are we really worried about them putting Jan in our bracket? ? 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

People worry way too much about this stuff.  If we aren't good enough to beat SCCC in Fargo how are we going to beat them in Tampa?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

People worry way too much about this stuff.  If we aren't good enough to beat SCCC in Fargo how are we going to beat them in Tampa?

For me the point is the #1 seed earns the right to play a lower ranked team and shouldn't be forced to have the top #2 seed in their region.  Why have a ranking system at all if you're just going to screw western teams because you have 3 Eastern regions that can't sell ticket without shenanigans?

And for the record, I am not worried about it as much as I am explaining it... and think the possibility is laughable.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

They did beat the Gophers 0-3 on Jan 7th.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

For me the point is the #1 seed earns the right to play a lower ranked team and shouldn't be forced to have the top #2 seed in their region.  Why have a ranking system at all if you're just going to screw western teams because you have 3 Eastern regions that can't sell ticket without shenanigans?

And for the record, I am not worried about it as much as I am explaining it... and think the possibility is laughable.

Agreed. Another point is that for SCCC, a top tier team, Fargo is as much of a home-rink advantage for them as it is for Minnesota. That's not much of a reward for being #1 overall.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

It is unlikely #5 overall and #1 overall end up in the same regional.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

It is unlikely #5 overall and #1 overall end up in the same regional.

Agreed.  They do try to protect the #1 overall seed as much as they can.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

They did beat the Gophers 0-3 on Jan 7th.

Yep and the Gophers have lost eight games this season. Five in regulation and three in 3 on 3 OTs.

If the Gophers in the quarter final, semi final, and final end up facing some combination of St. Cloud, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Mankato all teams who have beat them I am totally cool with that.

This Gopher team has shown they are the best team in the country and when they lose a game they tend to up their game even more. Playing teams in the NCAA tournament who have beaten them I think will fire them up even more. Other teams haven't fared well at all when facing an angry pack of Gophers this season.

It is unlikely the number #1 overall and #5 overall will end up in the same regional.

HandyNotDan reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

If I were placing bets on how things shake out in the pairwise through conference tournaments I’d wager the four 2 seeds to be BU, Harvard, St. Cloud and Western (in any order) and the 3 seeds to be OSU, PSU, Tech and Cornell. How the committee decides to distribute them out is anyone’s guess but I bet we end up with St. Cloud or Western. 

Still plenty of hockey to move teams up or down. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I think its been mentioned before, but that really does suck for whoever loses between Ohio State and Penn State. You have to sit around and wait nearly 3 weeks for regionals.

Page 26 / 44