746 Reactions
72 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @the-rube

The NCAA will do their damndest to prevent an all-conference F4. Smoky room, alley meetings, whatever.

Agree…

Keep your stick on the ice...

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1332
Post on old board: 5547

So next weekend BTN playoffs is it 1 and done or best of 3 playoffs?

Aloha!

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 344

Posted by: @gopher6

So next weekend BTN playoffs is it 1 and done or best of 3 playoffs?

Best of 3 for next weekend's round 1.  (Fri-Sat-Sunday if needed) 

Gophers get the #1 seed and bye to skip these best of 3 round 1 shenanigans 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7720
Post on old board: 10120

I don’t know if anyone else participates in the Hobey fan voting (yes I’m aware it carries little weight in the end), but curious if anyone else has noticed it does not reset at midnight eastern as it claims, and there is no particular order to the list - and the order changes every day.  Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.  

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13282
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @cowgirl

I don’t know if anyone else participates in the Hobey fan voting (yes I’m aware it carries little weight in the end), but curious if anyone else has noticed it does not reset at midnight eastern as it claims, and there is no particular order to the list - and the order changes every day.  Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.  

I vote daily, but usually in the morning at some point, so I have never experienced being locked out at midnight. I do notice the order changes daily.  Not sure of their reasoning other than they want people to scroll through the whole list every day. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @gator

Both #19 Michigan St. (16-16-2) and #14 Notre Dame (15-14-5) are risk missing the NCAAs records not above .500.

it's an elimination series. Whoever loses the series is done. Whoever wins the series there is no way that they can finish with a losing record. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@upnorthkid 

Notre Dame & Mich. State don’t play each in the first round of the playoff and both can finish .500 which is not a winning record.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid 

Notre Dame & Mich. State don’t play each in the first round of the playoff and both can finish .500 which is not a winning record.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I don't think it runs as a true bracket though. I believe we get whoever is the lowest remaining seed.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @chill-kessel

I don't think it runs as a true bracket though. I believe we get whoever is the lowest remaining seed.

that is correct. Just how they have it set up as the pictures currently. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @cowgirl

I vote most days, and the order is always different. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

Posted by: @upnorthkid

@upnorthkid 

-- attachment is not available --

Also--

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @composer

@upnorthkid 

Also--

yup. winner of the series will absolutely finish .500 or better, regardless of if it takes 3 games or not and they lose the next game. loser will be eliminated due to their PWR. 

Edit: I guess in theory, maybe ND has a chance if they lose a 3 game series sliding in as a 14 seed or so as they will still be .500. With how the bubble looks currently, would imagine their RPI drops too much to hold onto that spot

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@upnorthkid 

My bad… I looked at the standings on CHN and not a bracket.

upnorthkid reacted

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Meant to post this earlier in the season, but some changes I like to see…

NCAA:

- If a coach challenges a goal or missed call. If it’s not overturned, instead of losing your TO, you get a 2 minute penalty for ‘delay of game’.

BIG:

- Point system… regardless of the win, regulation, OT or SO, the winning team gets 3 points. And the losing team gets 0 in regulation and 1 point for a OT or SO lose.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5065
Post on old board: 10695

Meant to post this earlier in the season, but some changes I like to see…

NCAA:

- If a coach challenges a goal or missed call. If it’s not overturned, instead of losing your TO, you get a 2 minute penalty for ‘delay of game’.

BIG:

- Point system… regardless of the win, regulation, OT or SO, the winning team gets 3 points. And the losing team gets 0 in regulation and 1 point for a OT or SO lose.

Yes to the first one, No to the second.  I HATE that in the NHL, a game that goes to OT counts for more in the standings than a game that ends in regulation.  Every game should give the same total number of points.  If you're going 3pts, then Regulation/OT win are 3, SO is 2&1

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

@steve-mn I’m with you. 3 pts for a win in OT (also make it 4-4 or 5-5), and 2/1 for a shootout.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn 

I don’t know what I was thinking when I made my post. Probably the fact I was up at 4am to be at the hospital. Let me try this again… Though you still won’t be a total fan.

3 pts. for a regulation or 3x3 OT win. 
0 pts for a regulation or 3x3 lose.  
1 pt for both teams for a tie after 3x3. 
No SO or have it for kicks and giggles, though still on pts. handed out.

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

That's better.  But, if they're going to do 3pts, there does need to be a shootout.  Otherwise a Tie counts less in the standings than a game someone wins.  I know they do it that way in soccer, but I hate that as much as I do the NHL method.  Every game should count for the same number of points in the standings, however it happens to be broken down.

My personal preference would be to get rid of shootouts... and just go back to the old 2pt system.  2pts for a win (regulation or 5x5 OT) or 1 pt each for a tie.  No, I'm not holding my breath.

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Posted by: @steve-mn

That's better.  But, if they're going to do 3pts, there does need to be a shootout.  Otherwise a Tie counts less in the standings than a game someone wins.  I know they do it that way in soccer, but I hate that as much as I do the NHL method.  Every game should count for the same number of points in the standings, however it happens to be broken down.

My personal preference would be to get rid of shootouts... and just go back to the old 2pt system.  2pts for a win (regulation or 5x5 OT) or 1 pt each for a tie.  No, I'm not holding my breath.

Each game is worth 9 pts:

Win by 3+ = 9

Win by 2 = 8

Win by 1 = 7

Win in OT = 6

SO Win = 5

SO L = 4

OT L = 3

Reg L by 1 = 2

Reg L by 2 = 1

Reg L by 3+ = 0

Note: this is stupid, but if the underlying premise is ‘some wins / losses are better than others and should be treated differently’, this to me is the logical extension of that premise.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I only want to see the difference for Stupid Human Tricks (shootout), not a game decided by actual team play.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8303
Post on old board: 35040

How about play until you win? 

Ok, fine, IF you have to have a single OT, a tie is acceptable. 

Wait, we tried that? And people didn't like it? Screw 'em. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

I only want to see the difference for Stupid Human Tricks (shootout), not a game decided by actual team play.

The problem with a SO is the game goes down as a tie, but an extra point given in a skills competition. Skills competitions are for All Star Games or ‘dog & pony shows’. Have it after the 5 minutes of 3x3.  Reward each team 1 point, a tie on their record and then find a way to use the SO as a crowd pleaser. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

The problem with a SO is the game goes down as a tie, but an extra point given in a skills competition. Skills competitions are for All Star Games or ‘dog & pony shows’. Have it after the 5 minutes of 3x3.  Reward each team 1 point, a tie on their record and then find a way to use the SO as a crowd pleaser. 

If a regulation/OT win is 2 points, then sure.  (Or, just leave it as a tie after 5 minute OT and move on)

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

3x3 is stupid.  For all of the lamenting of SOs 3x3 is just as gimmicky.  Just go back to the old system and if 5 isnt enough make it ten but ties are fine.

Steve MN reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

3x3 is fun to watch but it probably shouldn’t have any impact on the PWR. I also don’t have a problem with tie games though I will say having 3x3 actually mattering might disincentivize teams to just play for the tie in regulation (*cough* teams like cows and Notre dame *cough*).

Seems like the PWR has been tweaking the formula for how 3v3 should count so it’ll be interesting to see what they settle on.  

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

3x3 is stupid.  For all of the lamenting of SOs 3x3 is just as gimmicky.  Just go back to the old system and if 5 isnt enough make it ten but ties are fine.

Agreed, not a fan of 3x3 either.  It's better than a shootout, but that's not a high bar to get over.

My ideal would be 2pt games.  5 minutes of 5x5 OT.  After that, it's just a tie, both teams get 1 pt, and that's the end of it for the night.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @trixr4kids

3x3 is fun to watch but it probably shouldn’t have any impact on the PWR. 

bingo

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Tie > 3x3 > SO but ties aren't coming back any time soon unfortunately.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Agreed, not a fan of 3x3 either.  It's better than a shootout, but that's not a high bar to get over.

My ideal would be 2pt games.  5 minutes of 5x5 OT.  After that, it's just a tie, both teams get 1 pt, and that's the end of it for the night.

I'll be the one to disagree... 3x3 is far from gimmicky. 3x3 is part of the game and I've seen it in regulation.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4509
Post on old board: 12555

I'll be the one to disagree... 3x3 is far from gimmicky. 3x3 is part of the game and I've seen it in regulation.

If you have it was once and for a few seconds.

HandyNotDan reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

As much as I would like to just have it end in a tie, Trix is right in that under that format teams play not to lose.  The third period is frustrating as hell to watch and there tends to be a lot of ties.  You'd have years where an offensive minded team like Minnesota would have 7-10 ties because opponents would sit back and play for the point.

I say play 5x5 for 5 min and follow it up with 3x3 for 5 min, then go to a tie.  Winning team in OT gets both points and loser gets nothing.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1630219527408500738

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2459

That’s good! Well done to the social media team. 

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Tie > 3x3 > SO but ties aren't coming back any time soon unfortunately.

Shootouts have lost their appeal for most but I disagree regarding preferring ties to 3x3 OT. Unless your team is a big underdog in the matchup there is no satisfaction with a tie for either side. I have a lot of good  OT memories just from this year alone. Some new hockey fans were definitely made this year by seeing those OT Knies & Cooley goals.  And the X was rocking yesterday with Kirill's OT Hat trick goal. 

The current NCAA Pairwise math puts a fairly small weight to the OT win at .67 vs .33 "wins" for the loser. I understand the opinion that this is still too much to reward for 3on3 but it honestly doesn't bother me. Could you play the 3on3 just for the fans/conference and call it a tie for pairwise, sure, but I prefer the current setup to keep some pairwise stakes in the 3on3. It still gives more weight to a regulation win and OT is just way more fun than ending in a tie and going home, for that I can watch soccer. 

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @bertogliat

As much as I would like to just have it end in a tie, Trix is right in that under that format teams play not to lose.  The third period is frustrating as hell to watch and there tends to be a lot of ties.  You'd have years where an offensive minded team like Minnesota would have 7-10 ties because opponents would sit back and play for the point.

I say play 5x5 for 5 min and follow it up with 3x3 for 5 min, then go to a tie.  Winning team in OT gets both points and loser gets nothing.

Or how about 4x4 for 5 min then 3x3 for 5 min?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

Shootouts have lost their appeal for most but I disagree regarding preferring ties to 3x3 OT. Unless your team is a big underdog in the matchup there is no satisfaction with a tie for either side. I have a lot of good  OT memories just from this year alone. Some new hockey fans were definitely made this year by seeing those OT Knies & Cooley goals.  And the X was rocking yesterday with Kirill's OT Hat trick goal. 

The current NCAA Pairwise math puts a fairly small weight to the OT win at .67 vs .33 "wins" for the loser. I understand the opinion that this is still too much to reward for 3on3 but it honestly doesn't bother me. Could you play the 3on3 just for the fans/conference and call it a tie for pairwise, sure, but I prefer the current setup to keep some pairwise stakes in the 3on3. It still gives more weight to a regulation win and OT is just way more fun than ending in a tie and going home, for that I can watch soccer. 

I agree with everything in this post.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1483
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

I agree with everything in this post.

I agree too with the above post…there’s as much chance going forward that we”ll go back to final score tie games, as the reformation of the “old WCHA”. lol. And while I prefer the 4x4 OT format, that isn’t happening either. ?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1630258224585752576

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Everyone has said ties are not coming back, but brilliant tag-along. 

Steve MN reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

So because we aren't going back people can't lament the fact that the idea is stupid?  Every 12 seconds someone whines about shootouts but they aren't going anywhere either. 

And the same fans "rocking yesterday to Kirils goal" would have rocked out the same way if it happened in the shootout.  I have been to/worked enough games to know that the majority of the fans are entertained by the shootout even if they pretend to dislike it.  Hell even at Mariucci the fans get into it.  The reason why,  because they crave a conclusion and want to watch something fun.  They don't care what we overly passionate fans think...they just want to get the most bang for their buck and watch their team play well.  If the team wins they are happy,  if they lose they aren't. 

There is nothing wrong with ties though, there never was.  Did it suck when bad teams played for the tie...yeah but that was part of the game.  Sometimes neither team deserves to win, sometimes a goalie is hot, that is what makes it fun.  Resorting to gimmicks trying to satisfy casual fans almost never fixes the problem it just creates new ones.  It isn't like hockey viewership and patronage skyrocketed after they outlawed ties...and no one likes the point system.  I just don't think this was really the problem.  The problem was the prevalence of the Right Wing Lock and how every team preferred that over skating in the NHL. (And half of college)  All of a sudden bad teams could clutch and grab their way to a point.  If the refs in all leagues had just called interference there would have been no need for these stupid rules.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden

@handyman 

Clearly you don't like 3x3, fair enough.

All I can add is that I attended the Friday North Dakota OT win this year with some "less passionate" Hockey friends that you mention.  under the old rules It would of been a fun late comeback Tie. Instead we got a Knies OT finish that we will remember for a long time. Missing out on this type of great memory is my problem with ties.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

3X3 is probably the purest form of hockey that you're going to see in todays world of over-coached systems hockey. There's nowhere to hide during 3X3. There's no system to bail out your lack of skill. Having 25-26 year olds trying to muck the game along the boards isn't going to work either. The team with the most actual skill has the advantage, but even then, they are going to have to risk something to try and make a play. 

trixR4kids and gator reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

@sufferingsotafan That Knies OT goal was incredible.  Slooow, slooow, HYPERSPEED!

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 737

It'll never happen, but I would love to see a college football style OT-- each team gets 1 minute 5x4 PPs, and if they are still tied, then 1 minute 4x3 PPs, and if still tied, then 1 minute 5x3 PPs.  Then play successive 5x3 PPs until they are no longer tied.

Could be very interesting and lead to some fun situations, like a team on the PP in OT pull a goalie to create a 6x4 or a 5x3. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

If you have it was once and for a few seconds.

I never said they are a regular occurrence. Though I’ve seen a couple. I saw one here recently for about 1:20. Though the thing I’ve seen once was a 5x3 and the team on the pp scores. Though they still had a 5x3, cause during the 5x3 the pk team got another penalty. So that player had to sit in the box and his penalty didn’t start till the first penalty of the 5x3 was over. Funny how you and @handyman have the knowledge of what people have seen and have not seen. 

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1340

@handyman 

All I can add is that I attended the Friday North Dakota OT win this year with some "less passionate" Hockey friends that you mention.  under the old rules It would of been a fun late comeback Tie. Instead we got a Knies OT finish that we will remember for a long time. Missing out on this type of great memory is my problem with ties.

Am I the only one who noticed the delicious irony in the sponsor of the video?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

Posted by: @mnnavy

@handyman 

Am I the only one who noticed the delicious irony in the sponsor of the video?

F4615DCB 9EA3 4B2F A3C5 1581594E62C3

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

There will be at least a few upsets on conference tournaments this year. Do you think that UMD or UND can win the NCHC tournament and sneak in. MN State most likely will have to win at least a couple of more games depending how it all ends up. Anyway what do you think?

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

@gator your point is well taken. There is indeed a precedent for 3 on 3. However improbable, it can happen during a game. It's not just some fictional bolt-on for overtime.

It isn't like settling a tie in this way is the same as a shootout, which is beyond the pale as a terrible way to crown a winner of any tournament. Yes, breakaways happen in games, too, but it's a breakdown in team play that causes them. Lining up guys at center ice for a shootout with the clock shut off is not really hockey at all.

It's notable that the NHL abandons 3 on 3 and the shootout during the Stanley Cup. It's a good way to mete out points while appeasing fans during the regular season but a bad way to determine a champion. I give them credit for knowing the difference.

Page 25 / 44