88 Users
746 Reactions
72 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

I’m not a fan of playing UND in Fargo regardless how crappy they may be.

Keep your stick on the ice...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

No one in NCAA hockey wants Northeastern to get hot. Not with Levi in net. Good news is that RIT lost a pair last weekend so it looks like the #1 overall seed will play the Atlantic winner and not a nightmare Northeastern 16 seed. More motivation for the team to keep the 1 seed. 

Yeah I don’t think it’s stressed enough how important it is to get the #1 overall seed for this exact reason. 

I get preferring to play the Atlantic winner but since RIT is currently 20th in the Pairwise there are many teams behind them that could get in as a conference champion from another conference and end up as the 16th seed for the NCAA. It only takes one team below RIT to get in and make RIT the 15th seed (and play the #2 team) if they win the Atlantic tournament.

It is definitely a possibility.

But, what are the realistic odds that RIT wins their conference tournament? I’d say there is a pretty good chance one of the other AIC teams wins it and then they become the 16th seed. 

The format of Atlantic tournament I think definitely increases their chances.

Both the quarterfinals and semifinals of the Atlantic are best of three at the higher seed so a team like the 8th seed or 4th seed is going to have to win two games at RIT to keep them out the conference title game. If they make the title game it's better than 50/50 they win it as the best team in the conference.

Since we have no way of knowing what seed the Atlantic winner will have (most likely the 15th or 16th seed although if RIT wins there is a chance they end up as the 14th seed with two auto bid teams behind them) we don't know if the #1, #2 or possibly the #3 overall seed will play the Atlantic winner.

I'm not focusing that much on the need to finish as the number #1 overall seed.

I like to talk about Pairwise scenarios and possible match ups but #16 seeds have beaten #1 seeds multiple times in the NCAA tournament so in the end all 16 teams are dangerous especially in a one and done tournament.

RIT if they make the NCAA is a dangerous match up they are a good team (#20 Pairwise).

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

No one in NCAA hockey wants Northeastern to get hot. Not with Levi in net. Good news is that RIT lost a pair last weekend so it looks like the #1 overall seed will play the Atlantic winner and not a nightmare Northeastern 16 seed. More motivation for the team to keep the 1 seed. 

Yeah I don’t think it’s stressed enough how important it is to get the #1 overall seed for this exact reason. 

I get preferring to play the Atlantic winner but since RIT is currently 20th in the Pairwise there are many teams behind them that could get in as a conference champion from another conference and end up as the 16th seed for the NCAA. It only takes one team below RIT to get in and make RIT the 15th seed (and play the #2 team) if they win the Atlantic tournament.

Yes theoretically but then I look at who realistically could win their conference tournament and also is worse than 20 and the list is pretty small. Pretty much all Hockey East teams that aren’t BU and Northeastern. That conference is a jumble. Toss Duluth into that conversation, they always seem to get hot this time of year. 

I think the two most likely are like you mentioned Hockey East and the CCHA. There are three teams from each those conferences that are currently between #25 and #33 that could get hot in the conference playoffs and get an auto bid.

I'm not including the teams just below RIT (#21 - #24) because if any of them win their conference tournament they have a good chance of passing RIT in Pairwise. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Which is the more fun scenario: North Dakota runs the table and makes it as a 16 seed only to get slaughtered in their own back yard by the 1 seed Gophers. 

Or

Holy Cross wins the Atlantic tournament, gets sent to Fargo with the Gophers and gets pounded in front of thousands of sad Nodak fans

Another fun scenario is St. Cloud matching up with North Dakota in the NCHC best of three quarter finals (which could definitely happen) and Jan sweeps them to end their season. 

Me thinks Sue fans wouldn't take that very well.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

It is definitely a possibility.

But, what are the realistic odds that RIT wins their conference tournament? I’d say there is a pretty good chance one of the other AIC teams wins it and then they become the 16th seed. 

The format of Atlantic tournament I think definitely increases their chances.

Both the quarterfinals and semifinals of the Atlantic are best of three at the higher seed so a team like the 8th seed or 4th seed is going to have to win two games at RIT to keep them out the conference title game. If they make the title game it's better than 50/50 they win it as the best team in the conference.

Since we have no way of knowing what seed the Atlantic winner will have (most likely the 15th or 16th seed although if RIT wins there is a chance they end up as the 14th seed with two auto bid teams behind them) we don't know if the #1, #2 or possibly the #3 overall seed will play the Atlantic winner.

I'm not focusing that much on the need to finish as the number #1 overall seed.

I like to talk about Pairwise scenarios and possible match ups but #16 seeds have beaten #1 seeds multiple times in the NCAA tournament so in the end all 16 teams are dangerous especially in a one and done tournament.

RIT if they make the NCAA is a dangerous match up they are a good team (#20 Pairwise).

All valid and good points. Can’t really disagree with any of that. I still want to play the Atlantic winner, and I believe getting the 1st seed gives us the best chance at that matchup. Fun conversations to have for sure. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Their #1 focus is playing better hockey, not strategizing nor angling for a specific seed.

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

I don't watch a lot of non-Gopher hockey, but I watched tOSU/ Michigan last night, and it reinforced everything I thought was true about Michigan.

My sense about them is that they're a hyper talented group of undisciplined individual hockey players. Couldn't have been more evident than last night. I would be so disappointed if I were a Michigan fan... They have enough skill to be the best team in the country if they just played a sound brand of hockey.

They're a team I could see winning it all or losing in the first round.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5065
Post on old board: 10695

Husky fans?

What are those?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13282
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @steve-mn

Husky fans?

What are those?

A video of them going to the concrete center

Jump Crash GIF by ViralHog

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Driftryder reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Which is the more fun scenario: North Dakota runs the table and makes it as a 16 seed only to get slaughtered in their own back yard by the 1 seed Gophers. 

Or

Holy Cross wins the Atlantic tournament, gets sent to Fargo with the Gophers and gets pounded in front of thousands of sad Nodak fans

Neither.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Husky fans?

What are those?

Oh, them.  But, why would someone ask them a question here? I know we've got a fan of UM-Lake Superior here, and a couple Purple Cow fans, but don't recall seeing any of that batch around.  Cool

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Husky fans?

What are those?

Oh, them.  But, why would someone ask them a question here? I know we've got a fan of UM-Lake Superior here, and a couple Purple Cow fans, but don't recall seeing any of that batch around.  Cool

Apparently GPL security is working in keeping out Jan fans. ? 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Apparently GPL security is working in keeping out Jan fans. ? 

They are truly doing an exemplary job, then.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7918

Posted by: @slap-shot

Their #1 focus is playing better hockey, not strategizing nor angling for a specific seed.

The only strategy I see necessary is avoiding Northeastern in the first round. It’s very likely one 1 seed is going to have to face Devon Levi in the first round. Don’t want that to be us. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Attn to all 300 BADger fans since the stripe out worked so well last weekend...

https://twitter.com/BadgerMHockey/status/1626587772663525379

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

Red is a good choice, blends better with the seats.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gator, Cowgirl, Kelly Red and 3 people reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

So the Badgers are having another red seat out? ? 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

The only strategy I see necessary is avoiding Northeastern in the first round. It’s very likely one 1 seed is going to have to face Devon Levi in the first round. Don’t want that to be us. 

eh we’re head and shoulders better than that team. Any goalie can get hot. Would also take us playing poorly to lose to them. Play a good 60 min and they’re not losing in the 1-16 game

HandyNotDan reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Red is a good choice, blends better with the seats.

You would think since the powers to be want the crowd and seats to wear read. They would have the team wear red. Or is that thinking outside the box?!?!?!

HandyNotDan reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @upnorthkid

eh we’re head and shoulders better than that team. Any goalie can get hot. Would also take us playing poorly to lose to them. Play a good 60 min and they’re not losing in the 1-16 game

Just don’t want us to get hot goalied in the first round. That would suck. Levi could definitely do it. Agree that we’re obviously the much better team. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7720
Post on old board: 10120

Well, the seats did a stellar job of wearing red tonight.  

gator reacted

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

If you took the bad traits from last couple years of Wooger's tenure and combined those with the bad habits of the final Lucia years you'd get wisco. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HandyNotDan reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Lots of good seats available at the Ralph tonight.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Lots of good seats available at the Ralph tonight.

It's a late arriving crowd. They were all the bars obsessed with the Gopher game. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Lesser dakota doing lesser dakota things - players and fans (flipping the double bird!) both.

gator reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Lesser dakota doing lesser dakota things - players and fans (flipping the double bird!) both.

Have they thrown any lawn mowers on the ice yet?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Have they thrown any lawn mowers on the ice yet?

Don't forget peeing in the ? elevators, walking in the snow with no socks on to the game and printing money for the concession stands. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

That's Mayor Bucks, to you.

gator reacted

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7720
Post on old board: 10120

So a few more folks have shown up at the badger game.  They don’t follow directions well.  Or are colorblind.  

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @cowgirl

So a few more folks have shown up at the badger game.  They don’t follow directions well.  Or are colorblind.  

Or....

Parks And Recreation Vodka GIF

HandyNotDan and Cowgirl reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

North Dakota just isn’t North Dakota this year. That Molenaar goal never happens if they’re their usual selves. He’s on his butt before the second attempt occurs, let alone the third. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

I suspect MSU is going to be a very good B1G team in the next few years.  They've found a very good coach, I like they way they play and as if talent level improves they will be dangerous.  

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I suspect MSU is going to be a very good B1G team in the next few years.  They've found a very good coach, I like they way they play and as if talent level improves they will be dangerous.  

The Gophers are currently on a 13 game winning streak against Sparty. Will Sparty beat the Gophers before it hits 17 games? ? 

Greyeagle reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @cowgirl

Or....

Parks And Recreation Vodka GIF

That's Swanson family mash liquor. Made from the finest corn ever grown on American soil. Its only legal use is to strip varnish off of speedboats. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

The Gophers are currently on a 13 game winning streak against Sparty. Will Sparty beat the Gophers before it hits 17 games? ? 

MN has definitely been their kryptonite.  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Not sure how I only now noticed this, but #3 for Sparty is LARGE. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @karlsson

Not sure how I only now noticed this, but #3 for Sparty is LARGE. 

He is listed at 6'6". He is a freshmen from Sweden.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Presently 6 B1G teams are in the Top 16 for PWR and to illustrate the strength of the conference even further this season even UW is at #40 with a horse-bleep record.

The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8303
Post on old board: 35040

This is NACHO year. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

CHN's probability matrix hasn't been updated since Tuesday, but it has us, Michigan, and PSU as locks while OSU is 99.7% in.  ND and MSU are each in the mid 40s, so it might be tough to get both of those last two in, but even getting just one would be huge as it would mean 5/7 teams are in.

I usually don't watch non-Gopher games with the same intensity, but so happy for MSU that they got the win tonight after what they've been through this week.  Sounded like there were questions about whether they should play this weekend and I was concerned when their social media went silent until today.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Boston U on quite the slide, all the way down to 7th in the pairwise now. Don’t know much about them other than Hutson. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

5-8 are all SUPER close in the pairwise. I think Western will jump from 8 to 5 tonight 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

Pairwise results from Saturday.  (Note--I read the RPI numbers at 10,000x the decimal values)

Minnesota gained 37 points, now at 6046

Quinnipiac gained 9  points, now at 5964, 82 points behind MN  (vs 58th pairwise Yale)

Michigan    lost     7  points, now at 5811. 235 points behind MN.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Michigan's Luke Hughes is out with a lower body injury suffered during Thursday's game. They hope to have him back "shortly" per Grant Potulny's "buddy" Bill Muckalt.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1627051307231252480

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Portillo kicking the net off count-- 1

Portillo taking a tripping penalty -- 1

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Decent # of fans in the stands for this OSU-UMi outdoor game.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I love how they put “drafted 185th overall” on Pat’s resume over 2nd all time scorer in Gopher history. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Why did they paint the trapezoid behind the net for this game? Crew used to making an NHL sheet?

Edit: Looks like the Monsters have a game upcoming as well. 

Diesel Gopher
(@diesel-gopher)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 27

Posted by: @karlsson

Why did they paint the trapezoid behind the net for this game? Crew used to making an NHL sheet?

Cleveland Monsters playing there in 2 weeks is my guess. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

They just took a big ass chunk outta the ice did anyone see that??

Page 21 / 44