746 Reactions
71.5 K Views
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5013
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @mnnavy
Playing devil's advocate here, but if it was so difficult to avoid being called for contact to the head, don't you think the taller players (Kleven, Nelson, etc.) would have a history of being whistled for it during their prep careers? Or, like Nelson, learn to adapt and come in lower? Looking at Kleven's stats (160 PIM over the past two years), it appears to me he is either incapable of adapting, or he doesn't want to. Either way, it's on Kleven, and anyone who makes excuses for that kind of play is wearing UND green blinders.

BTW, Kleven has more PIM this year (67 PIM in 24 games) than Nelson has had in his college career (61 PIM in 118 GP to date).

Frequently they adjust by avoiding contact entirely, which is my complaint.  If the only way you can avoid getting called for contact to the head is by never hitting a shorter player, something's out of whack.

And, anyone that thinks I'm wearing UND blinders has either never met me (which I'm pretty sure is the case for you) or is willfully insane 😉

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bertogliat reacted
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @northerngopher218

Posted by: @gator

Posted by: @slap-shot

North Dakota's Kleven was assigned his 3rd game misconduct of the season.

Happened Friday night and had to sit out on Saturday. Read a couple articles about it and UND fans are coming to his defense. Saying he's 6'5" and the guys he has hit are sooooooo much smaller than he is. The game is getting soft (classic UND fan comment until you mention Robbie Bina). He's a man playing in college. Just wait till he gets to the NHL. Blah, Blah, Blah... the comments go on. 

He got the 5 for Cross checking. He hit him in the neck/head area then a fight broke out. I'm no expert but I believe even if a foot taller than the other person it's not to hard to avoid cross checking a guy in his head.
THAT is a completely different discussion, and good riddance to him.

https://twitter.com/matthewsolum/status/1619471120742359041?s=20&t=4f4yRFeRh_Wb8g0EPAU18A  

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Thanks for the link, that is very much NOT what I'm talking about.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @mnnavy
Playing devil's advocate here, but if it was so difficult to avoid being called for contact to the head, don't you think the taller players (Kleven, Nelson, etc.) would have a history of being whistled for it during their prep careers? Or, like Nelson, learn to adapt and come in lower? Looking at Kleven's stats (160 PIM over the past two years), it appears to me he is either incapable of adapting, or he doesn't want to. Either way, it's on Kleven, and anyone who makes excuses for that kind of play is wearing UND green blinders.

BTW, Kleven has more PIM this year (67 PIM in 24 games) than Nelson has had in his college career (61 PIM in 118 GP to date).

Frequently they adjust by avoiding contact entirely, which is my complaint.  If the only way you can avoid getting called for contact to the head is by never hitting a shorter player, something's out of whack.

And, anyone that thinks I'm wearing UND blinders has either never met me (which I'm pretty sure is the case for you) or is willfully insane 😉

If a player can't figure out a way to throw a body check without going through an opponents head, then that guy has no business being on the ice.

gator reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13223
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Why does the coach have him on the ice with under a minute left in a blowout game? Everyone knows, including the Whioux coach that he has a temper and is 1 5 minute penalty away from a 1 game suspension. This isn't 1975 Brad Berry....

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1310
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Why does the coach have him on the ice with under a minute left in a blowout game? Everyone knows, including the Whioux coach that he has a temper and is 1 5 minute penalty away from a 1 game suspension. This isn't 1975 Brad Berry....

it’s the Whioux stupidity 

Aloha!

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4873
Post on old board: 28736

I get what you guys are saying and if the hit is accidental (or first offense) I could hear arguments for a reduced penalty but...

A taller player knows they tower over the smaller guys.  It isn't like they woke up Friday morning and found the card from the Zoltar Machine.  There are ways the manuever to not hit the kid in the head.  We see it all the time.  If it was so hard we would see these penalties multiple times a game but honestly we don't because smart and talented players adapt.  Slow and cheap players just look to throw their weight around...

I err on the side of caution.  This isn't pro hockey protect the kids and if that means every so often a player like Nelson gets bit so be it.  Penalize out bad fundamentals that hurt people like the NFL used to do. (And got lax on and is now overcorrecting to fix)

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5916
Post on old board: 16243

Happened Friday night and had to sit out on Saturday. Read a couple articles about it and UND fans are coming to his defense. Saying he's 6'5" and the guys he has hit are sooooooo much smaller than he is. The game is getting soft (classic UND fan comment until you mention Robbie Bina). He's a man playing in college. Just wait till he gets to the NHL. Blah, Blah, Blah... the comments go on. 

He got the 5 for Cross checking. He hit him in the neck/head area then a fight broke out. I'm no expert but I believe even if a foot taller than the other person it's not to hard to avoid cross checking a guy in his head.

Steve, it is the same discussion. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Steve, it is the same discussion. 

No it's not.  A cross-check to the head is a very different discussion than trying to go shoulder to shoulder/shoulder to chest and catching someone's helmet due to height difference.

Looking at the video, there's no question 5 and a game was correct.  That had nothing to do with a height difference with the players, and everything to do with a thug on the ice.

gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Does the penalty increase for a 4th or 5th game misconduct? Does someone eventually get suspended for the rest of the season/postseason?

Do the Gophers have anyone at risk? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gopheritall

Does the penalty increase for a 4th or 5th game misconduct? Does someone eventually get suspended for the rest of the season/postseason?

The Gophers have a couple of players who have collected 1 game misconduct this year. So no one is in immediate danger. From the NCAA rule book--

Suspensions - A player who receives three (3) game misconduct penalties in the same season (including exhibition games) shall not be permitted to play in the team’s next regular-season or tournament game against an NCAA member institution. For each additional game misconduct penalty (e.g. four, five, etc.) assessed to the same player in the same season, the player shall be suspended for one (1) additional game. This shall not be part of a progressive penalty structure. Exhibition games cannot be used to fulfill the suspension for this violation.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gopheritall and Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopheritall

No, it's just another 1 game suspension per Game Misconduct (not progressive)

Cooley has 2 Majors, but only 1 Game Misconduct, so he shouldn't be at risk (as noted above while I was typing, the NCAA manual specifies Game Misconduct in that section).  Nobody else has more than 1 Major (all with the Game Misconduct)

gopheritall reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/SkullSparks/status/1620499895135395841

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn

@slap-shot, @northerngopher218 and myself said nothing about a shoulder to head. It was a crosscheck to the head. You’re thinking of other conversations in this thread about shoulder contact to the head.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn

@slap-shot, @northerngopher218 and myself said nothing about a shoulder to head. It was a crosscheck to the head. You’re thinking of other conversations in this thread about shoulder contact to the head.

Sort of?  The discussion branched in two different directions, really.  As to the cross-check, anyone who thinks that didn't deserve a game misconduct is, indeed, wearing green blinders.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn 

You are going to see the gate if you cross check someone in the head or shoulder contact to the head. Regardless if you’re 6’5” and your opponent is 5’11”

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn 

You are going to see the gate if you cross check someone in the head or shoulder contact to the head. Regardless if you’re 6’5” and your opponent is 5’11”

The cross-check sure.  The complaint I have is when someone that's much taller than another player is faced with "let them by because I can't check them without getting a penalty" or "make the check and get kicked out of the game"

Or, I suppose, try to push them, but that just leads to the smaller player ducking around the "check" and back to just letting them by.

Lars Sauve
(@lars-sauve)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 47

I rarely and barely miss anything to do with them, but for some reason this brings to mind a UND fan saying that some player was the next Mike Prpich. I don't often laugh as hard as I did at that. What a badge of honor!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1620588050685526018

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7870

Wow. Very interesting. Assuming he’s up to speed this is a HUGE boost for Michigan. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn 

The cross-check sure.  The complaint I have is when someone that's much taller than another player is faced with "let them by because I can't check them without getting a penalty" or "make the check and get kicked out of the game"

Or, I suppose, try to push them, but that just leads to the smaller player ducking around the "check" and back to just letting them by.

You don't have to use your shoulder to check. You can use your hips and height leverage.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

https://twitter.com/uscho/status/1621524223045795842?s=46&t=U6vK3Dbob5Jr9b-hejGoxA

That’s quite an angle to take ?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4804

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

https://twitter.com/uscho/status/1621524223045795842?s=46&t=U6vK3Dbob5Jr9b-hejGoxA

Yeah... I don't see this one working out well.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Those lying bastards at CHN said I could watch PSU/OSU on BTN but that’s tomorrow night. Boooo

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah, USCHO has that list right, CHN is off.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5508

CHN is off.

No Way What GIF

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 877
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Yeah... I don't see this one working out well.

Down 5-1 to the fighting Fantilli after 2 periods.

That's a no. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Lots of good seats available in DUHluth

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

I haven't looked at the remaining matchups, but Wisco either is guaranteed to be on the road or close to it.  They're currently 18 points back from a 3-way tie for 3rd.

Even though none were on TV, it was refreshing to see all 3 conference games listed in the USCHO app under the "Top 20 Teams" tab. I'm still passive-aggressive about not beating my chest about BTHC, but that would change if the conference wins a bunch of titles and we're in great shape to get the first one this season.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

St Cloud losing 3-2 at home to Miami with 6 minutes left. 

edit: St. Cloud ties it with a shorty as I type. 3-3

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

lots of good seats available in St. Cloud also

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

lots of good seats available in St. Cloud also

BLASPHEMY... 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Lmao it took until the 19th player(!!!) to score in the meaningless shootout between St Cloud and Miami. 

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2494
Post on old board: 6782

The Purple Cows lost to the St Thomas 3-2 in overtime last night.  Both the Tommie goals were on the PP and the OT winner came off turnover in the neutral zone.  Kind of nice to see the Cows get knocked off their pedestal that some were putting them on after their 8 game win streak.

https://twitter.com/CCHAHockey/status/1621714027683479552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1621714027683479552%7Ctwgr%5Eb6daddcf1fd21151ef9bf685571ba61efed6006d%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.therinklive.com%2Fmens-college%2Fccha%2Fmack-byers-plays-hero-as-st-thomas-stuns-mavericks-in-ot

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

St Cloud losing 3-2 at home to Miami with 6 minutes left. 

edit: St. Cloud ties it with a shorty as I type. 3-3

We may have to revisit the GPL code on posting scores of our enemies losing that then results in a reversal of the score. Otherwise known as the GPL jinx. ? 

Jinx GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

( of course this is a bit )

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8248
Post on old board: 35040

Posting scores is not a jinx, unless there is some snide commentary to go with it. Remain neutral. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gator reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

MSU sweeps Notre Dame winning today’s game 3-2.

If Michigan and Ohio State win, which I believe they will, there will be a 4 way tie for 2nd place in the Big Ten. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Guy Gadowsky’s hair is ridiculous lol

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8067

Michigan State with the sweep has moved to #13 in the Pairwise.

They are 15-9-2 (9-5-2 in conference play) when playing anybody other than the Gophers.

The Gophers going 4-0 against them is keeping Sparty from being top 10.

Michigan State won the season series against both #4 Penn State and #18 Notre Dame taking 7 of 12 points from Penn State and 8 of 12 points from Notre Dame.

They split the season series with #8 Ohio State. They split the first series with #5 Michigan with one series left against them.

They swept the first series against #37 Wisconsin with one series left against them.

All these team rankings are their current Pairwise ranking.

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

8F348ED2 D60C 452A 86EA 59D237FD0039

BSU v MTU - Let’s go… hockey I guess?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Is Starman new on BTN?

And, as I'm typing this, OSU up 1-0 v PSU

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

He started last year I believe

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Rick Pizzo brings up Capi’s accolades and he nods his head and acts very humble. If that were Gino Parrish he’d be talking about it for the next 5 minutes. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11261
Post on old board: 21741

Guy Gadowsky’s hair is ridiculous lol

It has 8 SOGs tonight.

OSU gets one with ~4 left to go up by one then an ENG with 2 left to probably put away the game.

Couple that with scum kicking the snot out of the red-bad after two there should be a four way tie for second after this weekend's games are over.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7802
Post on old board: 18942

If Michigan and Ohio State win, which I believe they will, there will be a 4 way tie for 2nd place in the Big Ten. 

In NCHC parlance that makes it the most competitive league in the country 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11261
Post on old board: 21741

I made through about five minutes of the Miami-cloud game before I had to bail, Parrish is not good but he's freaking Vin Scully compared to Jim Rich.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewforth
(@viewforth)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 25

Cornell scored 4 goals in 54 seconds in a 10-1 win over Union. Wonder of that's some sort of record? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1622060273585586176

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Quinnipiac is losing 2-1 to Dartmouth in the third period. Dartmouth is dead last (60th out of 60) in the pairwise!

Game is on ESPN+ for those that get it

Page 17 / 44