88 Users
746 Reactions
71.9 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8294
Post on old board: 35040

I think you mean Lou Cues. (That is how all the announcers pronounce his name, drives me nuts)

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 771

Posted by: @the-rube

I want any team that can help us in the PWR to win. So, I want tUMD to win to keep the #1 PWR, 

I don't disagree with your thought process.  But also realize that right now (8:20 PM) Gophers are up more than 250 points in the pairwise.  That's a pretty good cushion.  If you look down the RPI numbers, most everybody is within 60 points or less of the teams around them.  For a win or loss this time of year, the RPI doesn't move much more than 50 points per game.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5567

Lieu Queues?

The Rube reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7899

The Michigan band can’t go 5 seconds without playing that song jesus

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Wolverines 4th in the pairwise and 6th in the conference 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11346
Post on old board: 21741

The corn & blue are an enigma wrapped in a paradox. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4807

Michigan is a dangerous team. And they are easy to hate. A Big Ten championship rematch at Mariucci would be incredible. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7876
Post on old board: 18942

I don't care what the teams behind Minnesota do in conference here on out. If the Gophers can't keep first place on their own so be it, but that's not going to happen.

Right now get 4-5 B1G teams in and keep UND and UMD out. ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

I don't care what the teams behind Minnesota do in conference here on out. If the Gophers can't keep first place on their own so be it, but that's not going to happen.

In conference, I don't care, I agree. OOC, though, seeding matters to me. I know the simple answer is "just win," but in sports, it ain't always that simple. 😉

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

In conference, I don't care, I agree. OOC, though, seeding matters to me. I know the simple answer is "just win," but in sports, it ain't always that simple. 😉

Right but they're not going to lose #1 in the power at this point based upon what happens behind them in conference.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686

Need to finish 3-3 to win the conference if others win out. I like the odds. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Right but they're not going to lose #1 in the power at this point based upon what happens behind them in conference.

"In conference." I agree with that. OOC is different, though. Hence me happy that tUMD is chasing the sweep this weekend. 😉 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Dagger. 6-3 tUMD, 3+ minutes left. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5567

I don’t get it. They looked pretty good against us, like dog crap against the bullpups. Hockey is funny. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4807

Exactly… that’s the enjoyment of following along during the season and scoreboard watching.

I really want the Gophers to get that #1 seed, and potentially play the Atlantic Hockey conference winner. It doesn’t guarantee anything, but I sure like that better than other alternatives.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Exactly… that’s the enjoyment of following along during the season and scoreboard watching.

I really want the Gophers to get that #1 seed, and potentially play the Atlantic Hockey conference winner. It doesn’t guarantee anything, but I sure like that better than other alternatives.

And I don't want SCSU (or whoever) to have an "easy" route in the post-season. So, don't take our #1 spot, but don't drop to #6 or anything. 😉 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1477
Post on old board: 6912

The 1st time (this season) I’ve uttered these 4 words “How bout dem DOGS!” They broom #1 ranked Jan Brady U! ☝️?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

And it really wasn't close. Watched both games (thank you Fox9+) and wow. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

"In conference." I agree with that. OOC is different, though. Hence me happy that tUMD is chasing the sweep this weekend. 😉 

My original comment had nothing to do with OOC play and was relative to another post discussing B1G games and conference stangings. It's not always about you Rube.  ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

? Never was "about me." It was about the overall PWR and such. BTW, can you spare some tinfoil? Seems like I'm living in your head, for some reason. Starry Eyes  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

? Never was "about me." It was about the overall PWR and such. BTW, can you spare some tinfoil? Seems like I'm living in your head, for some reason. Starry Eyes  

That was a joke, but it was because you replied with a comment that wasn't relative to what I was talking about (i.e.) remaining B1G games by teams behind MN having an impact on their PWR.

Regarding other NCAA teams I wonder how much longer Grant has at NMU.  They showed promise early in the season but have not done well of late. Not sure what the expectations were but I don't think they've made the tournament since he arrived.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

@slap-shot It's all good. Yeah, dunno about G Money. On the flipside, what can you do with NMU? Not exactly a great recruiting school. I think he'd do better elsewhere, maybe a DU or UNH, some closer to mid-level school.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

@slap-shot It's all good. Yeah, dunno about G Money. On the flipside, what can you do with NMU? Not exactly a great recruiting school. I think he'd do better elsewhere, maybe a DU or UNH, some closer to mid-level school.

I imagine it is tough to recruit there but I was hoping he'd make the post-season at least once a la MTU of late.  (At least I think MTU has a recent appearance). And it's possible if his time there does come to an end he gets another chance somewhere else - if not right away as a HC perhaps as an assistant again a top level school with an aging coach.  ? ? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I imagine it is tough to recruit there but I was hoping he'd make the post-season at least once a la MTU of late.  (At least I think MTU has a recent appearance). And it's possible if his time there does come to an end he gets another chance somewhere else - if not right away as a HC perhaps as an assistant again a top level school with an aging coach.  ? ? 

I like that suggestion, and am interested in your newsletter. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Gophers should be #1 in every single poll/ranking this week. I know people don’t care about that stuff but it’s nice to have the lil number 1 buy your name it looks cool?

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

North Dakota's Kleven was assigned his 3rd game misconduct of the season.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Happened Friday night and had to sit out on Saturday. Read a couple articles about it and UND fans are coming to his defense. Saying he's 6'5" and the guys he has hit are sooooooo much smaller than he is. The game is getting soft (classic UND fan comment until you mention Robbie Bina). He's a man playing in college. Just wait till he gets to the NHL. Blah, Blah, Blah... the comments go on. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

2-6 in the Big Ten standings separated by one game (3 points). We’ll learn a lot about the league in the upcoming weeks. Especially the PSU/OSU series this weekend. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

2-6 in the Big Ten standings separated by one game (3 points). We’ll learn a lot about the league in the upcoming weeks. Especially the PSU/OSU series this weekend. 

After this coming weekend I feel the standings will look...

MN: 43

OSU: 30 (split with PSU)

PSU: 30

Mich: 30 (Sweep wisconSIN)

ND: 29 (split with MSU)

MSU: 27

wisconSIN: 9

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4508
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @gator

Happened Friday night and had to sit out on Saturday. Read a couple articles about it and UND fans are coming to his defense. Saying he's 6'5" and the guys he has hit are sooooooo much smaller than he is. The game is getting soft (classic UND fan comment until you mention Robbie Bina). He's a man playing in college. Just wait till he gets to the NHL. Blah, Blah, Blah... the comments go on. 

There is something to be said about this.  It’s hard for a 6’5” guy to throw a shoulder to shoulder check on a 5’10” guy

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Then maybe go after someone bigger...

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Plan your check! 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

If Notre Dame takes 4 points against MSU there could be a 4 way tie for 2nd place?

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8128

5 of these kids belong together. 5 of these kids are kind of the same.

But one of these kids is doing this own thing. Now it's time to play our game. It's time to play our game.

Can you tell which kid is doing his own thing? 

Although I suppose there is two correct answers (one good and one bad). ? 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Body checking isn't about going after somebody.  It's about separating the player from the puck. You don't get to choose who has the puck.  Small players shouldn't be immune from being checked.  Taller players shouldn't be penalized when they go shoulder to "shoulder" with whomever has the puck just because that puck handler's helmet is lower that the checking player's shoulder.

gator reacted

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Plan your check! 

LOL

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

If Notre Dame takes 4 points against MSU there could be a 4 way tie for 2nd place?

If Mich. State sweeps Notre Dame there could be a 4 way tie for 2nd place. 

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2112

Posted by: @bertogliat

Body checking isn't about going after somebody.  It's about separating the player from the puck. You don't get to choose who has the puck.  Small players shouldn't be immune from being checked.  Taller players shouldn't be penalized when they go shoulder to "shoulder" with whomever has the puck just because that puck handler's helmet is lower that the checking player's shoulder.

Nelson got called for that several times his first couple of years just cause he's so much bigger than most guys. I don't think it's happened this year. Must have figured it out.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

I see similar in soccer all the time.  Small player runs into bigger player and falls over.  Bigger player called for foul.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden

Taller players shouldn't be penalized when they go shoulder to "shoulder" with whomever has the puck just because that puck handler's helmet is lower that the checking player's shoulder.

It sounds like you are saying that it's OK for a tall player to put a shoulder hit to the head of a shorter player.  Hopefully I am mis-interpreting your statement here.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @composer

Taller players shouldn't be penalized when they go shoulder to "shoulder" with whomever has the puck just because that puck handler's helmet is lower that the checking player's shoulder.

It sounds like you are saying that it's OK for a tall player to put a shoulder hit to the head of a shorter player.  Hopefully I am mis-interpreting your statement here.

No not really.  But if they go shoulder to shoulder and the shorter players head happens to hit the taller players shoulder in the follow through as a result of the contact it doesn’t mean the check was dangerous.

In another scenario let’s consider two players of the same size.  The Gopher player checks the Hawk player into the boards (clean shoulder to shoulder) and as a result of the collision the helmet of the Hawk player hits the glass as the glass is much taller than the Hawk player.  This is a common occurrence with checks into the boards. There is usually no penalty.

Now consider an open ice check where the Gopher is much taller than the Hawk player.  The helmet of the Hawk player hits the shoulder of the taller Gopher on the follow through.  But primary contact of the check is shoulder to “shoulder”.  It shouldn’t automatically result in a major + game DQ.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Who gets Big Ten first star of the week? Snuggerud or Hughes. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5059
Post on old board: 10695

No not really.  But if they go shoulder to shoulder and the shorter players head happens to hit the taller players shoulder in the follow through as a result of the contact it doesn’t mean the check was dangerous.

In another scenario let’s consider two players of the same size.  The Gopher player checks the Hawk player into the boards (clean shoulder to shoulder) and as a result of the collision the helmet of the Hawk player hits the glass as the glass is much taller than the Hawk player.  This is a common occurrence with checks into the boards. There is usually no penalty.

Now consider an open ice check where the Gopher is much taller than the Hawk player.  The helmet of the Hawk player hits the shoulder of the taller Gopher on the follow through.  But primary contact of the check is shoulder to “shoulder”.  It shouldn’t automatically result in a major + game DQ.

I hate to put myself in the possible position of supporting Whioux fans' whining, but (not having looked at the hit in question) I may have to here.  While I agree with being strict on high hits in general, what's a player that's 8 inches taller than the opposition supposed to do, here?  Avoid a check because they're so tall they simply can't hit the smaller player without hitting their head?  This has bugged me for years, and there were several times in the past that Gopher players got called for a hit to the head that was a simple shoulder to the chest, except the puck-carrier was so much shorter that the shoulderpad hit the helmet.  The only other thing that could be done is to avoid hitting them entirely.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

I hate to put myself in the possible position of supporting Whioux fans' whining, but (not having looked at the hit in question) I may have to here.  While I agree with being strict on high hits in general, what's a player that's 8 inches taller than the opposition supposed to do, here?  Avoid a check because they're so tall they simply can't hit the smaller player without hitting their head?  This has bugged me for years, and there were several times in the past that Gopher players got called for a hit to the head that was a simple shoulder to the chest, except the puck-carrier was so much shorter that the shoulderpad hit the helmet.  The only other thing that could be done is to avoid hitting them entirely.

On the other hand, they simply cannot get away with hitting a player in the head.  

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Who gets Big Ten first star of the week? Snuggerud or Hughes. 

https://twitter.com/b1ghockey/status/1620459454905851908?s=46&t=Vd22fBQeMv8i4P__wwH13A

Figures. Apparently 4G 1A beats 3G 3A. A 4 goal game is nothing to sneeze at though.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1340

Posted by: @steve-mn

Playing devil's advocate here, but if it was so difficult to avoid being called for contact to the head, don't you think the taller players (Kleven, Nelson, etc.) would have a history of being whistled for it during their prep careers? Or, like Nelson, learn to adapt and come in lower? Looking at Kleven's stats (160 PIM over the past two years), it appears to me he is either incapable of adapting, or he doesn't want to. Either way, it's on Kleven, and anyone who makes excuses for that kind of play is wearing UND green blinders.

BTW, Kleven has more PIM this year (67 PIM in 24 games) than Nelson has had in his college career (61 PIM in 118 GP to date).

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

He got the 5 for Cross checking. He hit him in the neck/head area then a fight broke out. I'm no expert but I believe even if a foot taller than the other person it's not to hard to avoid cross checking a guy in his head.

Steve MN and gator reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13268
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Huge loss for the Irish

https://twitter.com/960Sportsbeat/status/1619745701503832065

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Massive loss. Leading scorer on a team that already can’t score. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5059
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @northerngopher218

He got the 5 for Cross checking. He hit him in the neck/head area then a fight broke out. I'm no expert but I believe even if a foot taller than the other person it's not to hard to avoid cross checking a guy in his head.
THAT is a completely different discussion, and good riddance to him.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Page 16 / 44