69 Users
176 Likes
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5674
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Gauthier before the game said there were gonna be a lot of tears on the other side. Happy tears count too I guess yeup😂

Give the guy pros for the confidence… along with confidence and pride, you may eat crow at times.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 655

sorry I’m really drunk. But man I almost cried when they were hosting the trpphy. I’m only 27. I don’t remember the last natty. I want it so bad. 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7297
Post on old board: 10120

I did not expect this.  I thought Denver would run out of gas and the BC skill would take over.  

the hockey universe does not like maroon and gold apparently.  

it also feels like yesterday I was sitting in Amalie holding back the tears.  

sigh. 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

it also feels like yesterday I was sitting in Amalie holding back the tears.  

sigh. 

The Holy Cross loss never bugged me hrs. after…

The Union loss never bugged me hrs. after…

The Quinnipiac still bugs me…   

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4441

Gauthier before the game said there were gonna be a lot of tears on the other side. Happy tears count too I guess yeup😂

woof!

https://twitter.com/uofhockeyblog/status/1779310488876155256?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

The Q loss will haunt until we win. 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

As Denver becomes the first team to win 10 and take the lead for most National Championships, they do it by tying the total number of championships MN has (5)….

…. Since MN last won a championship. 🤮

ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

You are probably right. In the last 5 minutes of tonight’s game I thought what could’ve been. 

- What if Snuggerud would’ve scored a goal on the breakaway to put the Gophers up two goals.

- What if the Gophers could’ve cleared the zone as the penalty was ending. 

* And I’m not going down the rabbit hole of OT. Just I have no complaints on who was on the ice. Q just executed a prefect drawn up play.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

As Denver becomes the first team to win 10 and take the lead for most National Championships, they do it by tying the total number of championships MN has (5)….

…. Since MN last won a championship. 🤮

ESPN said it was the first time Michigan wasnt apart of the leaders for Nat’l Championships.

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 655

Posted by: @gator

You are probably right. In the last 5 minutes of tonight’s game I thought what could’ve been. 

- What if Snuggerud would’ve scored a goal on the breakaway to put the Gophers up two goals.

- What if the Gophers could’ve cleared the zone as the penalty was ending. 

* And I’m not going down the rabbit hole of OT. Just I have no complaints on who was on the ice. Q just executed a prefect drawn up play.

same. I keep playing from the Cooley penalty to the end of the game in my head. It hurts man

MikeEruzione11 and gator reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

It has been since 1999 that a team from MN, WI or ND hasn’t been in the frozen four. 

Bring on baseball, and October.   

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2253

another year, another super team that falls just short. Shows how fuckin hard it is but ffs can we just have one year we put it all together? Denver’s hit rate when they’re there is unbelievable 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7706
Post on old board: 35040

DU wins the title

"Ok, a little surprising but not shocked."

They shut BC out. 

"Wait, WTF?"

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10625
Post on old board: 21741

BC didn't play with the needed intensity until the latter part of the 3rd period, seemed to think goals would come.  Reminded a bit of how this one team sometimes plays......anyway DU gave up 3 goals the entire tourney, that's amazing.  Basically every goal DU scored was really worth maybe 2-3 goals for them; they were stifling.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2614
Post on old board: 15478

It might have been a better game against Quinnipiac. Maybe two boring defensive teams going at it would have been more fun.

It felt like I was watching Minnesota play an NCAA game against *fill in the blank* - a classic struggle of a skill team against a gritty, structured team built to shut down speed and creativity. The few times BC did break through the DU goalie stole the show.

DU has some skill, but they are unbelievably disciplined. They don't have a player like Pitlick streaking up the ice when possession of the puck is still in doubt. They had 3 to 4 players absolutely committed to defense from center ice on back and they didn't get over their toes until it was on the tape of one of their teammates.

DU coach has a WJ gold medal and a NC title in the same year. He had his guys following the script tonight and, almost predictably, they had no problem shutting down the high-flying team with greater skill.

ReplyQuote
psych
(@psych)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 139

Last year has been so thoroughly removed from my brain, that when I read Denver won, my first thought was “repeat champions.”

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 371

If I’m a BC fan I’m livid about shaking up the top line in the Natty.

Smith/Perrault/Leonard have played together for how many years?  Never held without a point this year.  Trust them.  That move puts doubt in the team, find a different way to fire them up or strategy to loosen it up.

Denver played great, goalie was unreal.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 371

Watching that game also made me think, we really need to bring in a portal goalie to compete with Airey.  I know we love Closer, but Fowler and Davis were a level above.  We’ll have the skill but tough to outskill a .972 save pct.

ReplyQuote
MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 223

Posted by: @upnorthkid

another year, another super team that falls just short. Shows how fuckin hard it is but ffs can we just have one year we put it all together? Denver’s hit rate when they’re there is unbelievable 

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

A few thoughts...

First, I am really tired of seeing DU in the finals.  Not that I care that they always win when they are there, but more so that it usually means a BORING championship game.  Last night was proof of that.  While I can appreciate their structure, the style of play just makes me sleepy...

Second, I don't think that BC was flat at all and played their style of game.  Only problem was DU played their style flawlessly and BC couldn't create gaps.  Coaching played a huge role in the outcome of this game.  BC never adjusted during the game and thought they could pull 3 goals out of their asses whenever they wanted.  DU always had an answer.

Third, BC should have pulled their goalie when they had the PP with 7:54 to go and didn't.  BC should have pulled their goalie when DU took a timeout with 5ish minutes to go and didn't.  BC didn't even look at or talk to their goalie until they took their timeout with 2:37 left to play, and even then they had a face-off just outside their zone and needed to control the puck before pulling him.  These are all bad coaching decisions and are a big reason why BC lost.

Last, I have been to 30 of the last 35 championship weekends.  By a large margin, this was the most boring hockey I have ever seen at this time of year.  I am talking about all 3 games, although the BC/UM game was occasionally mildly entertaining.  Won't stop me from going next year, or the one after that, but I really hope DU starts a stint of sucking, although I really don't see that in the cards.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12642
Post on old board: 9626

I know the feeling of the BC fans today. They had a super team, and lost in a 1 and done format. Even if they get the majority of their players back next year, there is no guarantee that they will be back in the title game. Wonder who leaves or who will want to come back for "unfinished business"?

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2002

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I know the feeling of the BC fans today. They had a super team, and lost in a 1 and done format. Even if they get the majority of their players back next year, there is no guarantee that they will be back in the title game. Wonder who leaves or who will want to come back for "unfinished business"?

Except BC never had this game right where they wanted it.

ReplyQuote
Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 333

You could argue Denver went into a Defensive shell with the lead in the second half of the NCAA championship game, sounds like another team I know.......  

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4441

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

You could argue Denver went into a Defensive shell with the lead in the second half of the NCAA championship game, sounds like another team I know.......  

Agreed. Difference was absurd goaltending 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2253

BC buries the empty net to start the game and this one probably is very different. Both goalies were extremely good. I don’t think many of these guys are coming back

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 292

Give the guy pros for the confidence… along with confidence and pride, you may eat crow at times.

I disagree.  That is not hockey to me.  Part of what separates hockey players from those from other sports, for me, is how many are more humble than the average athlete from other major sports. So often in an interview the guy who scores the winning goal on a great shot gives more credit to teammates and talks about being lucky it went in. They give credit to the opponents too. Glad he didn't win Hobey.  He doesn't appear to have the attitude deserving of that award. And the impression I got was he wasn't the only one on that team with that attitude.

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 292

Posted by: @joegopher

Third, BC should have pulled their goalie when they had the PP with 7:54 to go and didn't.  BC should have pulled their goalie when DU took a timeout with 5ish minutes to go and didn't.  BC didn't even look at or talk to their goalie until they took their timeout with 2:37 left to play, and even then they had a face-off just outside their zone and needed to control the puck before pulling him.  These are all bad coaching decisions and are a big reason why BC lost.

Yeah, for coach of the year, he seemed to get out-coached. Break up best line in hockey this year and don't pull goalie until too late...

gopheritall reacted
ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 582

Posted by: @koho

I disagree.  That is not hockey to me.  Part of what separates hockey players from those from other sports, for me, is how many are more humble than the average athlete from other major sports. So often in an interview the guy who scores the winning goal on a great shot gives more credit to teammates and talks about being lucky it went in. They give credit to the opponents too. Glad he didn't win Hobey.  He doesn't appear to have the attitude deserving of that award. And the impression I got was he wasn't the only one on that team with that attitude.

yeah honestly I’m not really paying a lot of attention to the casual interview but my girlfriend watching said “whoa” so I’m just like did he just say that? You’d almost expect a smirk or a laugh from him but I didn’t see that. I mean this was still in pregame wardrobe so for what it’s worth my thought is if this gets to the Denver locker room probably not the best choice of words on his part. Arrogance is probably best kept to yourself at that point imo.

I used to have a shirt back in maybe “04” that said gopher hockey it’s not arrogance we really are that good.😂I wouldn’t expect a player to wear it getting off the team bus unless maybe it’s in Grand Forks.😁 (kidding) I’ve told my kid a few times growing up there’s a difference between having confidence which is a huge importance, and being cocky. Fear nobody but respect everyone.

ReplyQuote

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1239
Post on old board: 5547

Who was the goaltender Denver had in the mid 90s who was so good he won so many games by himself he was so good I remember watching him beat the Gophers so many times

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2583
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @gopher6

Who was the goaltender Denver had in the mid 90s who was so good he won so many games by himself he was so good I remember watching him beat the Gophers so many times

Sinuhe Wallinheimo? He’s a member of Finnish Parliament now.

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2190

I hate to admit it but we had a pretty good time at the tourney surrounded by ND fans.  Lamenting our mutual sadness, they were very interested in local breweries for Friday (big surprise there 😉).  They commented at one point because I kept saying ND and not “the name not spoken”.  They were good sports.  They laughed when I said I’d voted for Sandbaggers on the online poll, laughed even louder when I said there had been an organized Gopher push to game the system.  Then I tell them about Wioux, they laugh.  Then I tell them about Pioux, they laugh even harder.  So whoever came up with that, you were a hit 😀

We agreed a peaceful tourney was possible with both being out.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5204

Wade Dubielewicz?

ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

Posted by: @karlsson

Wade Dubielewicz?

He was very good.  That was right around 2000 give or take a year.  

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 582

Wade Dubielewicz?

i think that’s who I was remembering but thought he was early 2000’s 

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1239
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @orion

AfterWho was the goaltender Denver had in the mid 90s who was so good he won so many games by himself he was so good I remember watching him beat the Gophers so many times

Wade Dubielewicz?

He was very good.  That was right around 2000 give or take a year.  

[/quote

after research the goalie I was thinking about it was back in 1994

Sinuhe Wallinheimo  

Aloha!

ReplyQuote

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

Denver:  who do we have for goalie prospects? 

Scout:  well there's this kid guaranteed to be an NHL all star goalie.  His name is smith...

Denver: smith?  Not with a name like that!  Get me a kid no one can spell

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2583
Post on old board: 7833

I’m sure Wallinheimo rubbed some the wrong way, but he was always one of my favorite opposition players.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

Posted by: @iceburg

I’m sure Wallinheimo rubbed some the wrong way, but he was always one of my favorite opposition players.

Always loved it when he came in for a series at the old "Mooch."  I was a student then and he would play to the crowd all the time.  Easy to do when you have the skill to back it up.  Regardless, he was good for a few laughs from the student section every game.

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

It shows the importance of having a hot goalie. Hopefully Airey will be that guy next year!

ReplyQuote
USHANABI
(@ushanabi)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 187

Posted by: @ushanabi

I called Denver the winner before their game with BU began.  And slated them against Michigan in the final, after the Denver win.

BC reminds me of Minnesota State vs Denver for the 2020 National Championship.  Denver has done it before.  Do it again!

And so they did => Denver 2 Boston College 0 as it should have been!

Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . .
Knowing what to do, they sometime don't do it . . .
The 26th year of the Gopher Men's Hockey Profile got to be too much for this ol' codger to handle . . . what with all of the possible activity on the transfer portal . . . . So, I'm closing it down at the 25th year . . .

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2002

I called Denver the winner before their game with BU began.  And slated them against Michigan in the final, after the Denver win.

BC reminds me of Minnesota State vs Denver for the 2020 National Championship.  Denver has done it before.  Do it again!

And so they did => Denver 2 Boston College 0 as it should have been!

The downside is the NACHO wins again.

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 12