Let’s Go Oilers..

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5153
Post on old board: 10695

After last night, Dallas has more wins at Rogers Place than the Oilers do.

EDIT:   More playoff wins

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5960
Post on old board: 16243

@steve-mn 

Huh?

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Bah... missed an important word... more PLAYOFF wins at Rogers place.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

Im still trying to figure out how this stat is true. Unless it has to do with the 2020 playoffs and Roger Place being a host stadium.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8339
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @gator

Posted by: @steve-mn

Im still trying to figure out how this stat is true. Unless it has to do with the 2020 playoffs and Roger Place being a host stadium.

It's gotta be the "Bubble" or something, during the Covid. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Correct.  In 2020, the Western Conference playoffs and the Cup finals were in Edmonton.  Dallas made it to the finals, and with the prelim games they played officially counting as playoff games, they won 16 games that year, which is how many the Oilers have currently won since the new arena was built.  Last night puts Dallas up by a game 

ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1513
Post on old board: 6912

Great one timer by Reinhart How happy is he in FLA instead of Buffalo? We got a series. Now Edm needs to respond & persevere tonight!

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5608

Why is PK Subban shouting at me?

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4203
Post on old board: 9428

Feels like NYR/EDM would be the funnest finals matchup so I guess I’ll root for that. Not a fan of Dallas or FLA and the game they play. FLA seems like a bunch of dirtbags and F Dallas, Suter and Benn. Still think Dallas is the best team of these 4 including a very good coach. 

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2696
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @bigbeer

Feels like NYR/EDM would be the funnest finals matchup so I guess I’ll root for that. Not a fan of Dallas or FLA and the game they play. FLA seems like a bunch of dirtbags and F Dallas, Suter and Benn. Still think Dallas is the best team of these 4 including a very good coach. 

I've wanted Rangers v Oilers from the start, but I think Florida and Dallas are the best two teams. 

Dallas has the Minnesota kid in the net so I'm hoping his team implodes while he's standing on his head. 😆 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2207
Post on old board: 5631

Oilers and Rangers are both mediocre teams hoping to dive their way to enough powerplays to win a game. Can't stand to watch either team play. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8185

The Rangers had the best regular season record winning 3 more games then anybody else. I have a hard time saying they are a mediocre team.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

The Rangers had the best regular season record winning 3 more games then anybody else. I have a hard time saying they are a mediocre team.

playing in the metro.  Shesterkin is the only thing that makes them above average.

ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

Having to take out Vegas & Avs may be taking a cumulative toll on Dallas. But…a wounded animal is a dangerous animal, so it’s critical for Oilers to end this in game 6…

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

LIFELESS? (Characterization) by the reporter asking the ? - I can see why Pete answered the way he did. Frustration and pride in his players, led to that retort.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

Posted by: @j22

Oilers and Rangers are both mediocre teams hoping to dive their way to enough powerplays to win a game. Can't stand to watch either team play. 

Like Dallas doesn’t dive? It appeared (when playing Wild in playoffs last season) they’d been receiving instruction from the UMD swimming & diving team. 😉 lol

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

and the Oilers have one of the best PPs in history. These teams all have weaknesses and strengths that got them this far. 

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2574

yeah none of the teams left are mediocre. You don't get this far being mediocre. 

Think Florida is the best "team" left though I really dislike some of their dirty players. That said, they all play the system extremely well and can win games 2-1 or 6-5 depending on the night if it's needed

Dallas to me is the weakest of the teams left. Good goalie but their offense goes completely anemic for long stretches when the checking intensifies.

Edmonton has the best player in the world and an absolutely lethal special teams. Think their goaltending and defense will be too weak however against a team like Florida that can throw multiple lines at you, however they have shown the ability to completely shut down teams at times

New York has good depth scoring and solid defense, but they're like Florida only slightly worse on both offense and defense with goaltending being the only reason this series isn't already over. 

Think Florida wins it and has been my pick (with it coming against Edmonton) 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

Posted by: @bearpaw28

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1796754259926565306

I give the coach a lot of credit for calling out a reporter who only shows up for the playoffs or big games. They come in and look for the hot takes and clearly aren’t following the team closely. Good for him. 

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

Rangers puck movement on PP is too slow & passes are not crisp enough to produce high Danger shots!

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 740

Rangers are one shot away from tying it in case messier didn’t mention it😂

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

Go Rangers!

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11434
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @cowgirl

Go Rangers!

sigh. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

I really like Paul Maurice, he’s got the perfect personality to coach FLA, smart & witty, while his team plays like Convicts! 😀

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

last night's game was yet another example. FL is just better than NY across the board aside from in net. Both teams will be thinking they missed a bunch of chances, but Florida is just a better team. Them against the Oilers could be a fun up and down series. Against Dallas will likely be tight checking and a bunch of neutral zone trap. Know which version I'd rather see as a fan, but think Florida beats either of them. 

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

When your cheat codes are not legal.

(PP goal)

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1797423705066479801

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Oil!

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8339
Post on old board: 35040

Go Oil. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Imagine getting outshot 35-10 to clinch a trip to the Cup Finals. Still not sold on Skinner. I think Robertson outshot EDM by himself. 

I love the don’t touch the trophy debate, so funny. Also Paul Coffey in the team photo obviously already moved on and thinking about the next round like the champion he is, I bet he’s a head coach sooner than later. Can we get him?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

I don’t know how you can have watched to this point and think Edmonton wins. Edmonton will have the best player (or maybe 2) and after that the rest of the top 10 are panthers

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

I don’t know how you can have watched to this point and think Edmonton wins. Edmonton will have the best player (or maybe 2) and after that the rest of the top 10 are panthers

Same could be said for the Dallas series.

Watching the Oilers reminds of watching the early Crosby Penguins. They get a lot of calls to go their way

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1379
Post on old board: 5215

Every Dallas season which ends in a "L" is a successful one for me. It's another Monday holiday this week!!!  🤣 

gator and Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

Imagine getting outshot 35-10 to clinch a trip to the Cup Finals. Still not sold on Skinner. I think Robertson outshot EDM by himself. 

I love the don’t touch the trophy debate, so funny. Also Paul Coffey in the team photo obviously already moved on and thinking about the next round like the champion he is, I bet he’s a head coach sooner than later. Can we get him?

Skinner arguably outplayed Oett in this 6 game series. It’s the super star factor McDavid brings…you win with 10 shots because he made plays when it counted on the power play. As far as Robertson, he’s a smart player & a good passer, but can’t finish or control play like Kaprisov….let alone Leon or McJesus! 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Let’s Go Oilers > Florida

ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1061

Also Paul Coffey in the team photo obviously already moved on and thinking about the next round like the champion he is, I bet he’s a head coach sooner than later. Can we get him?

Well he did play for Pittsburgh, so odds are high... however not at the same time as BG, so the odds drop again...  And it depends how long the "multi-year deal" goes for Hynes, and/or how sick of buy-outs the owner gets.  I'd say 50/50, haha.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @fightclub30

Also Paul Coffey in the team photo obviously already moved on and thinking about the next round like the champion he is, I bet he’s a head coach sooner than later. Can we get him?

Well he did play for Pittsburgh, so odds are high... however not at the same time as BG, so the odds drop again...  And it depends how long the "multi-year deal" goes for Hynes, and/or how sick of buy-outs the owner gets.  I'd say 50/50, haha.

sick of the buyouts? We haven't even gotten to the Spurgeon, and Foligno buyouts yet.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @j22

Same could be said for the Dallas series.

Watching the Oilers reminds of watching the early Crosby Penguins. They get a lot of calls to go their way

can't agree with this, especially in the defensive end. To me, Edmonton's chances will be to trick Florida into taking plenty of stupid penalties, which the Panthers have done in the past but cleaned up really well in the NYR series (which was helped by that the Rangers looked like utter trash on the PP). The officiating will be interesting to watch. There were multiple meh penalties against the Stars in this last series, we'll see if it continues in the cup finals. 

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

@upnorthkid I do tend to agree & it’s not like me & J agree on much. 😉 Similar to Syd & Penguins, Mcd & Oilers do get a lot of calls go their way. The secret sauce is to capitalize on them, like Oilers did in games 5 & 6. Stars lost series mainly because their PP disappeared. If Oilers are effective on pp, it will be a 6 or 7 game series & they very well may pull out the win. I think it’s to Oilers advantage starting on the road & being perceived as underdogs, like they were against Dallas (and arguably, but not truly) against Vancouver.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @bearpaw28

@upnorthkid I do tend to agree & it’s not like me & J agree on much. 😉 Similar to Syd & Penguins, Mcd & Oilers do get a lot of calls go their way. The secret sauce is to capitalize on them, like Oilers did in games 5 & 6. Stars lost series mainly because their PP disappeared. If Oilers are effective on pp, it will be a 6 or 7 game series & they very well may pull out the win. I think it’s to Oilers advantage starting on the road & being perceived as underdogs, like they were against Dallas (and arguably, but not truly) against Vancouver.

oh the calls I 100% agree with. The league has protected mcdavid since he’s been in the league. More was meaning the player comment

ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1061

oh the calls I 100% agree with. The league has protected mcdavid since he’s been in the league. More was meaning the player comment

Going to disagree with you.  The amount of clutch, grab, hook, holding, slashing, etc. that McDavid put up with for several seasons was more than most players.  Not just McDavid, but many of the star players.  It seemed that the more skill you had, the more it took to draw a penalty.  Where a much less skilled skater would get a weak hook in the neutral zone, fall down, and draw the penalty.  But a player like McDavid, while impeded, could still skate through it and not end up drawing a call.

I think it is finally turning a bit where they are calling things on those players that they would normally call on average, to below average players.  I haven't watched enough of the playoffs this year (or last) to see if it has gone too far the other way.  But he has NOT been protected since he joined the league.  If players like that are more protected now, I think it is probably about time.  

Their PK is clicking at 94% in the playoffs against some quality teams.  That is incredible.  Something like 26 consecutive PKs killed off.

To say Edmonton is getting way more calls...  I haven't watched a ton, but nothing seems out of line to me.  They have had 51 PP chances, Florida has had 60, NYR had 50, and DAL had 45.  As far as kills, Edmonton has had 49 PKs, DAL 37 PKs, Florida 51 PKs, and NYR had 57 PKs.  

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7942
Post on old board: 18942

I wouldn't expect there to be too many penalties called in the finals, unless my memory of that being the norm is faulty.  

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @fightclub30

Going to disagree with you.  The amount of clutch, grab, hook, holding, slashing, etc. that McDavid put up with for several seasons was more than most players.  Not just McDavid, but many of the star players.  It seemed that the more skill you had, the more it took to draw a penalty.  Where a much less skilled skater would get a weak hook in the neutral zone, fall down, and draw the penalty.  But a player like McDavid, while impeded, could still skate through it and not end up drawing a call.

I think it is finally turning a bit where they are calling things on those players that they would normally call on average, to below average players.  I haven't watched enough of the playoffs this year (or last) to see if it has gone too far the other way.  But he has NOT been protected since he joined the league.  If players like that are more protected now, I think it is probably about time.  

Their PK is clicking at 94% in the playoffs against some quality teams.  That is incredible.  Something like 26 consecutive PKs killed off.

To say Edmonton is getting way more calls...  I haven't watched a ton, but nothing seems out of line to me.  They have had 51 PP chances, Florida has had 60, NYR had 50, and DAL had 45.  As far as kills, Edmonton has had 49 PKs, DAL 37 PKs, Florida 51 PKs, and NYR had 57 PKs.  

It's not the calls that McDavid does or doesn't get. It's the way their AHL caliber defensemen are allowed to play in their zone.

ReplyQuote
Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 709
Post on old board: 14946

I really don't care who wins now that Dallas is out. I never... ever... want Dallas to win.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7942
Post on old board: 18942

Chris83 and bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1379
Post on old board: 5215

Posted by: @hammy

I really don't care who wins now that Dallas is out. I never... ever... want Dallas to win.

THIS!!! This, ad infinitum. There is no hockey team, at any level, from anywhere on the planet, where I would pull for Dallas to win against them. That will never change for me. My late, dear Aunt was from Brooklyn and a die-hard Dodgers fan. After they relocated to Los Angeles, she loathed them with a passion until her dying breath. So, I learned at the feet of the master.  🤣 Is that being petty? Sure. And I couldn't be prouder. 

MATT and Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@slap-shot 

Even Flames fans as much as they don't like it or want to admit it. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @hammy

I go by more players I can't stand. Like Dallas, having Joe Pavlelski is enough to dislike them. The Oilers do have Corey Perry and Evander Kane, but Canada's drought of over 30 years w/o a Cup needs to end is why I'll rout for Edmonton.  

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

I don’t watch a ton of NHL, but I’m surprised to see Florida only as slight series favorites (-128). Thought they would be bigger favorites. 

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 12