42 Users
150 Reactions
15.5 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8449
Post on old board: 35040

Hell of a series. Cannot complain whatsoever. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8579

The Cup stays in the United States for the 31st straight year.

Maybe some day Canada will see the Cup again. 😉 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2738
Post on old board: 15478

Not enough Draisaitl tonight or in any game this series. 

One soft goal cost Edmonton, but Florida's defense was dialed in.

It looked like a high school hockey tournament game out there in the end. #97 was pretty much out there for 5 minutes.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7853
Post on old board: 10120

Florida got a bit of the luck they didn’t have the last couple games; Edmonton’s ran out.  
But yeah, game seven, what more can you ask for as a fan? 
A little over three months to go until the puck drops again.

GIF

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11564
Post on old board: 21741

Whoa…..Connor McSmyth?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1918

@greyeagle total no-brainer

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Ehhhhh, disappear for 2 key games? There were pros and cons. It was far from a slam-dunk. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @youngeagle

Statwise yes but still a surprise. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Statwise yes but still a surprise. 

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 😉 I think Ben Franklin said that. 

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2738
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @the-rube

Ehhhhh, disappear for 2 key games? There were pros and cons. It was far from a slam-dunk. 

Florida had some disappearing acts as well, including Bobrosky.

Don't think any player on either team, especially on Edmonton, cares who won an individual trophy, but McDavid was a deserving recipient.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Bob was hung out to dry so many times in Games 4-6 it was embarrassing. I don't absolve him of all blame, mind you, but the FLA D was horrid at times. Rookie mistakes horrible. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6031
Post on old board: 16243

The Conn Smythe hasn't always been the best player. Crosby won it once, if not twice due to his name. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I realize some Gophers fans will never like or root for Kyle Okposo because he turned pro mid season and I understand that. We are all entitled to our opinions but I am happy for Kyle.

He was born in St. Paul, played high school hockey at Shattuck St. Mary, and played for the Gophers for a season and a half.

He made his NHL debut on March 18, 2008, against the Toronto Maple Leafs, and netted his first career NHL goal on March 21, 2008, against the New Jersey Devils, a game-winner scored on the power play against Martin Brodeur.

He became the 7th player in Gopher history to play in 1,000 career NHL games on November 14, 2023. He has played 17 NHL seasons (9 with the New York Islanders and 8 with the Buffalo Sabres).

He has played 1,051 regular season NHL games scoring 242 goals and 372 assists (614 points).

He has played hockey for approximately 30 years (he is 36 years old) dreaming of winning and raising the Stanley Cup. Tonight he did that. 

Congratulations Kyle on achieving a life long goal!!!

Hammy, YoungEagle, MATT and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2672

Last change reared its massive head tonight (and I think was why Maurice felt so positive coming back to Florida). Let’s them sell out to shut down Edmontons one line and live with the rest 

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8061
Post on old board: 18942

I haven't seen these teams during reg season, but seems to me that EDM is flashy/pretty goals, and FLA is more a workhorse team. That being said, I would compare this game to the Celtics/Lakers of the 80s, or that Super Bowl of Rams' Greatest Show On Turf vs grind it out Patriots...

fwiw FLA was 11th in the NHL for gpg during the regular season.

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

@upnorthkid 

Big time, Knoblauch rode his horses hard in the game third - several Oilers played close to half the third period and half the game  - and you could see they didn't have much left in the last couple minutes.  I get trying to sneak your main guys into a matchup but he overplayed his hand.  I think McDavid fell at least once in the neutral zone trying to rush the puck, and he just doesn't do that unless he's gassed.  The Oil had a few good chances in the back half of the third but once they didn't get one with about four to play it seemed inevitable Florida would hold on for the win.  Even if Edmonton had tied it I suspect they would have needed a goal quick in OT to get The Cup.

https://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20232024/TV030417.HTM

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid 

Big time, Knoblauch rode his horses hard in the game third - several Oilers played close to half the third period and half the game  - and you could see they didn't have much left in the last couple minutes.  I get trying to sneak your main guys into a matchup but he overplayed his hand.  I think McDavid fell at least once in the neutral zone trying to rush the puck, and he just doesn't do that unless he's gassed.  The Oil had a few good chances in the back half of the third but once they didn't get one with about four to play it seemed inevitable Florida would hold on for the win.  Even if Edmonton had tied it I suspect they would have needed a goal quick in OT to get The Cup.

agreed. And the odd part of trying the overload Mcdavid move is that they’d finally started to get scoring from other guys. Probably the only move knoblauch made all year that didn’t work out, but you cant have guys playing half the game in a fast paced, low stoppage, low penalty kind of game as you’re going to end up with a final 5 like they did where Florida has more energy. Edmonton had desperation, but couldn’t get over the final hurdle (and Florida got some massive puck luck throughout, which is part of what makes the nhl postseason the most difficult to win it all in)

ReplyQuote
Hammy
(@hammy)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 755
Post on old board: 14946

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

I realize some Gophers fans will never like or root for Kyle Okposo because he turned pro mid season and I understand that. We are all entitled to our opinions but I am happy for Kyle.

He was born in St. Paul, played high school hockey at Shattuck St. Mary, and played for the Gophers for a season and a half.

He made his NHL debut on March 18, 2008, against the Toronto Maple Leafs, and netted his first career NHL goal on March 21, 2008, against the New Jersey Devils, a game-winner scored on the power play against Martin Brodeur.

He became the 7th player in Gopher history to play in 1,000 career NHL games on November 14, 2023. He has played 17 NHL seasons (9 with the New York Islanders and 8 with the Buffalo Sabres).

He has played 1,051 regular season NHL games scoring 242 goals and 372 assists (614 points).

He has played hockey for approximately 30 years (he is 36 years old) dreaming of winning and raising the Stanley Cup. Tonight he did that. 

Definitely agree with you. I would have liked to have seen him start his pro career differently but I am very happy for him. He's carried himself very well as a pro and he deserves respect. Always good to see another Gopher with his name on the cup.

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1586
Post on old board: 6912

@upnorthkid 

McDavid fell twice making sharp turns but rather than fatigue it appeared he had a bad edge on his skate. I can’t fault Knoblauch coaching, with Leon skating far below 100% due to some type of lower body injury, McDavud had to carry the show much farther than any other player in the world is capable, despite not scoring in last two games, he was still producing chances for himself & his teammates. Leon didn’t score a goal in the finals, Panthers & Bob did an incredible job shutting down the cross ice pass one timer by Leon on the power play. Florida was the more complete team, especially on the blue line & despite blowing a 3-0 lead, pulled it together and earned the Cup! 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

it was a slam dunk. 10 more points than anyone on his team and 20(!) more than anyone else in the postseason. Bob actually had a relatively rough postseason. The difference is in the 1st 3 rounds (and 1st 3 games of the Cup), their defense absolutely was shutting everyone down. Bob still ended up 4th in GAA, 6th in Sv%, despite having 2 shutouts. Florida this year was by far the best "team" in that they could depth outscore you and forecheck you into the dirt. Edmonton was the only one who got around it for awhile, but every game felt like it was waiting for the regression back to the mean of how they played all year. 

have to remember the Conn Smythe is a postseason award, not Finals award. 

also on a random postseason note (or two). If you want an idea of how top heavy Edmonton is, their top pp unit wound up being 5 of the top 7 scorers. their next highest scorer is Ekholm with 10 points. contrast that with florida who's top point getter (Tkachuk) had 22 but they had 9 guys with double digit points. The Oilers PP finished converting 29.3% of chances in spite of being 3/24 (12.5%) against Florida. To me, those two points are the reason the series went how it did (and was why I took Florida to win when the series started). Fun series. Is it October yet?

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1586
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @hammy

Definitely agree with you. I would have liked to have seen him start his pro career differently but I am very happy for him. He's carried himself very well as a pro and he deserves respect. Always good to see another Gopher with his name on the cup.

Agree 100%! Kyle may not have worn the maroon & gold as long as hoped for…but he still wore it proud. Same goes for Casey (if he ever hoists a Cup). 

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Kyle represents two of my favorite programs winning The Cup:  The Gophers and the St. Paul Capitals.  Awesome stuff.

My God I love this sport!

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1805622183445594525

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5224
Post on old board: 10695

I have some minor hard feelings toward Kyle due to him leaving mid-season.  I get that he was pressured by the GM though, so, not too upset, really, so happy for him to accomplish this.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

It’s funny because it’s true. 😇

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1358
Post on old board: 5547

So the State of Florida has won the Stanley cup multiple times , and the State of hockey Minnesota has won 0 Stanley Cups

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 202

Posted by: @gopher6

So the State of Florida has won the Stanley cup multiple times , and the State of hockey Minnesota has won 0 Stanley Cups

By design.  I admit I’m anti Florida because of this but did the refs really have to lose complete control? With five minutes left mcdavid is tackled on the blue line.  Had Edmonton been ahead I’m sure they would have played the clutch and grab but they let Florida get away with too much.  0

congrats to Kyle O, it’s nice to have a class guy represent the Gophers.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1358
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @ex_goldy

By design.  I admit I’m anti Florida because of this but did the refs really have to lose complete control? With five minutes left mcdavid is tackled on the blue line.  Had Edmonton been ahead I’m sure they would have played the clutch and grab but they let Florida get away with too much.  0

But Kyle O quit on the Gophers 1/2 way through his second season Fighting  

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2617
Post on old board: 6782

I am sure most of us carried a grudge towards Kyle for some time after Garth plucked him away.  Time heals most wounds and I rather him be on the cup for his long tenure in the show as a reward.  He is a Minnesota guy and I applaud that he won one finally.  Honestly I feel a bit more connected to Kyle winning a cup than Phil the Thrill.  Besides, Kyle gave us one of the best goals ever scored by a Gopher.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1918

There's no reason to still be upset by this.  It was like 17 years ago. I can't blame anyone for wanting to begin their career and putting themselves in the best possible spot for that.  Like it or not we are fans of a development league. I have a feeling a lot of the keyboard warriors who have thrown shade at Kyle would have a tough time turning down that kind of money if it was offered.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

I am sure most of us carried a grudge towards Kyle for some time after Garth plucked him away.  Time heals most wounds and I rather him be on the cup for his long tenure in the show as a reward.

That's pretty much the case for me.  I had a grudge toward him at the time that has lessened because:

A:  NHL GM basically told him that he had to leave then if he wanted to be able to get on the team

B:  It was many years ago.

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

When Kyle was here we had more wingers then centers so he was playing out of position at center. This likely played into GM Snow's comment 

Islanders general manager Garth Snow told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program. They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that."

It was unfortunately that the issues couldn't get worked out and have him finish his second season with the Gophers.

Kyle was put in a very tough situation where the team that drafted him wasn't happy with how the Gophers were developing him and wanted him to leave. Since the Islanders held his NHL rights it wasn't in Kyle's best interest to go against their wishes.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

When Kyle was here we had more wingers then centers so he was playing out of position at center. This likely played into GM Snow's comment 

Islanders general manager Garth Snow told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program. They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that."

It was unfortunately that the issues couldn't get worked out and have him finish his second season with the Gophers.

Kyle was put in a very tough situation where the team that drafted him wasn't happy with how the Gophers were developing him and wanted him to leave. Since the Islanders held his NHL rights it wasn't in Kyle's best interest to go against their wishes.

Good ole Garth snow. One of the worst GMs of all time. 

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

"Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program. They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that."

So now, NHL GMs see NCAA programs as their farm teams?   How much funding do they provide?   The U had ZERO "responsibility" to coach/make anyone a better player/etc.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8061
Post on old board: 18942

There's no reason to still be upset by this.  It was like 17 years ago. I can't blame anyone for wanting to begin their career and putting themselves in the best possible spot for that. 

I stopped holding any grudge a very long time ago, but I can and do blame him for leaving his team mid-season. The NHL wasn't going anywhere and he didn't have to leave, but he bailed on his teammates for selfish reasons.

But like I said I don't hold it over him any longer and am happy for him winning a cup.  

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 12