668 Posts
45 Users
124 Reactions
15.7 K Views
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8197

Make that 9 in a row!!! 😯 5 of the hits are extra bases (4 doubles and a home run).

Time to give him the Barry Bonds treatment and just walk him to keep him to one base. 😉 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5608

Unfortunately Lopez wasn’t very good tonight and we’re losing regardless. Good amount of game left, though. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8339
Post on old board: 35040

Miranda 4-4 tonight so far.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

With the way Lee and Miranda are hitting will Royce get his job back? 😉 😆 Royce Pipp 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

This would have been a lot more fun if they could just get these effers out. Cripes.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

WHAT AN (alleged) CATCH!!!!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That didn’t age well. 🤨

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Todd Sampson Reaction GIF by ABC TV + IVIEW

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Funderburk sucks. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Two hottest teams in baseball and it wasn’t close.

At least both Cleveland and Kansas City lost. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4553
Post on old board: 12555

They pulled Miranda?  Down 8 runs in the 9th?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

I missed it live so had to rewind.  IMHO based on the replays available the ball did not appear to touch the wall.  So yeah, phenomenal play.  Some nice web gems tonight both sides.  

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 740

Right now baldelli is hoping for the 3rd out in the 9th so he’s off the hook

ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Wheeee!  Grand salami to get within one.  What a crazy game. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Okay so it wound up being close. 😆 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

I missed it live so had to rewind.  IMHO based on the replays available the ball did not appear to touch the wall.  So yeah, phenomenal play.  Some nice web gems tonight both sides.  

I was kind of surprised they ruled it a hit at first. Didn't look like any carom or anything. 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Okay so it wound up being close. 😆 

I bet there will be a lot of surprised folks who left early and get home to turn on the postgame….

Damn to lose by one kinda stings after all that.   Maybe I need to go to the game tomorrow. 🤔

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

JFC. I shoulda kept watching.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

i don’t understand pulling Miranda down 8.  If you’re going to score 8 runs to tie the game you’re going to have the players who aren’t hitting well that would be much better candidates for a PH.  Why pull the hottest batter in MLB when you could pinch hit for one of your 0fer batters?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

i don’t understand pulling Miranda down 8.  If you’re going to score 8 runs to tie the game you’re going to have the players who aren’t hitting well that would be much better candidates for a PH.  Why pull the hottest batter in MLB when you could pinch hit for one of your 0fer batters?

Maybe worried about the streak with the pitcher they were facing, and obvi not expecting to come back…

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Pretty sure they were down 8, said fuggit, let's get some time in for others. Then things kinda changed. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Maybe worried about the streak with the pitcher they were facing, and obvi not expecting to come back…

I don’t follow the Twins super close but I thought Rocco was known for not giving a rip about player’s records.  Just goes straight from the sabermetrics.  

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Maybe pohlad sent him a message about needing to sell more tickets for tomorrow afternoon. A little over thinking things imo from baldelli though.  I could understand it if guys were getting thrown at and shit was getting out of control to protect your players that way but it wasn’t. To me he just threw out the towel and sent a message to his players that were done and Miranda doesn’t need to hit anymore tonight. Maybe he had a good reason for it but I’m not watching the post game. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I don’t follow the Twins super close but I thought Rocco was known for not giving a rip about player’s records.  Just goes straight from the sabermetrics.  

Rocco is pure analytics. 

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Altuve was HBP in the hand and left the game in the 8th. That could’ve played a part in why he pulled Miranda. I watched most of the game but missed that.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

When the Twins bats got off to a slow start in April people where calling for hitting coach David Popkins's job. The Twins are now 5th out of 30 teams in runs scored. Baseball is a marathon you can't replace players/coaches every time a certain area of the team is struggling. There are many twists in turns to a baseball season. Every player/part of the team has good and bad months.

Jose Miranda and Carlos Correa are great examples of this they had bad seasons last year and are having great seasons this year. In both cases injuries last season were a major factor.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1809585318049239122

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Miranda gets hit by a pitch in his first at bat. Well I guess that works the same as walking him. 

ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Maybe camo coat guy was on to something…

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

What are the pairs of white dots down the back of Buxton’s neck?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Miranda.  Wow.  13th straight at bat reaching base with 12 hits.  

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Miranda gets hit by a pitch in his first at bat. Well I guess that works the same as walking him. 

it doesn’t count as an AB right?  So he should be at 12 straight hits?  Is he tied for the MLB record?

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

it doesn’t count as an AB right?  So he should be at 12 straight hits?  Is he tied for the MLB record?

Yes

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1809669550230716739

🤣

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1809670024573120779

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Through 4 innings the Twins have 12 hits (7 runs). Everybody in the line up already has at least one hit along with a RBI or a run scored. The Twins bats are on FIREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That didn’t age well. 🤨

I think it aged quite well. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

No a hbp does not count as an at bat; but it’s still a plate appearance and does count for on base percentage due to reaching base.  

But yea you are correct, he is tied for the MLB record.  What a run!

“In the second inning, Miranda drove Brown's first pitch into center field for an RBI single. In the fourth, he lashed another single to right-center to tie the major league record of 12 straight hits, accomplished by Johnny Kling in 1902, Pinky Higgins in 1938 and Walt Dropo in 1952.”

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That didn’t age well. 🤨

to be fair…. I posted that when the astros were up to 10 runs last night. 😬

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @karlsson

Two hottest teams in baseball and it wasn’t close.

At least both Cleveland and Kansas City lost. 

Yep it wasn't close Twins win 9-3 😉 

Karlsson reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That didn’t age well. 🤨

to be fair…. I posted that when the astros were up to 10 runs last night. 😬

Appears they’re on a roll going back in time for a supposed “gotcha” moment. 😊

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3568
Post on old board: 30840

Rocco is pure analytics. 

No he isn't.

ReplyQuote

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

What are the pairs of white dots down the back of Buxton’s neck?

https://twitter.com/Audra_Martin/status/1809408986677977259

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Rocco is pure analytics. 

No he isn't.

I haven't seen much, if anything, to say otherwise. Sometimes, that's a good thing, sometimes, it's not a good thing. 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Maybe pohlad sent him a message about needing to sell more tickets for tomorrow afternoon. A little over thinking things imo from baldelli though.  I could understand it if guys were getting thrown at and shit was getting out of control to protect your players that way but it wasn’t. To me he just threw out the towel and sent a message to his players that were done and Miranda doesn’t need to hit anymore tonight. Maybe he had a good reason for it but I’m not watching the post game. 

My guess is his reasoning was "We're down by 8, we have a few guys who haven't played much lately so lets get them some live game action."

Down 8 in the 9th you're not really expecting a comeback. Basically every manager in baseball does it (Boston did it today when they got thumped by NY, the Orioles did it today when they got whooped by Oakland, the Mets did it last night when they got housed by the Pirates, hell the Diamondbacks partly did it last night down 7-2 in the 9th, scored 6 to take the lead and the the Padres walked them off with 3 runs in bottom 9). 

It's common practice in blowouts. All the guys on the team are pro baseball players. Pinch hitting one for another in a blowout, especially if teams are concerned about "retribution" from the other team on a HBP, is not only commonplace, its common sense if you think a guy as red hot as Miranda is may be a target of said retribution.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Rocco is pure analytics. 

No he isn't.

I haven't seen much, if anything, to say otherwise. Sometimes, that's a good thing, sometimes, it's not a good thing. 

The Twins were 3rd in all of MLB last year in innings pitched/start. Despite it not being necessarily wise based on "analytics" that have shown time and time again that pitchers tend to get rocked far more often their 3rd time through the order. And only 9 teams in baseball averaged more pitches thrown/start than Twins pitchers despite all the claims Rocco takes them out so early (and they were 3 pitches/start behind the team with the most). Only 10 teams had starters throw 100+ pitches in a game more frequently than Minnesota and one of those was the god-awful White Sox who let Lance Lynn throw 100+ pitches 16 times, which I believe was most in the league, despite having an ERA over 6 as late as the first week of September. Another was the mostly bad Mets who had 2 absolute historical workhorses (Verlander and Scherzer) throw 100+ in 16 of their combined 35 starts before being traded and Kodai Senga had 14.

If you're going to use the "bat a righty vs a LHP" type argument as analytics then sure, but those types of "analytics" have been happening since at least like 1970 and don't count in this argument about modern day "analytics" IMO. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

The bat righty thing, I don't count. It's all the WAR, GRIT, IOUTIEW+ whatever stuff they come up with...

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Opposing pitchers please stop hitting Twins players!!!!!

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1810022240693457128

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

I would’ve thrown at altuve’s hand that next inning but that’s just me.

Bertogliat reacted
ReplyQuote

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Walk it off twins!!! Wooohoooo!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 14