124 Reactions
15.7 K Views
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4923
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

The Twins have the 20th highest payroll with the 9th best record overall (out of 30). People can certainly be pissed about the same old Twins (can't beat the top 5 teams) or choose to enjoy that the players, manager and GM are doing well with the limit assets that have been given to them.

The team have quite a few exciting players that I choose to enjoy knowing it likely wouldn't be enough to win in the end.

No team this low in payroll has won the World Series in the last 30 years. Kansas City (2015 - 17th in payroll) is the only team outside the top 12 in payroll that has won in the last 30 years. 

Yes I realize Cleveland and Baltimore are doing great this season with low payrolls but so has Tampa Bay other years. The Rays have lost 7 straight playoff games and 9 of their last 10 never winning a World Series while making the playoffs 5 straight years and 9 times in the last 16 years.

It would be fun to see a low payroll team win the World Series but unfortunately history says it is very unlikely so I don't base my enjoyment on the Twins winning in the playoffs yes people can say that is accepting mediocrity but I have no control over what the Pohlads choose to spend on payroll but I do have control over how much enjoyment I find in following the team.

Tampa may not have won a WS but they made one.  I don't think many around here would be upset if the team lost the World Series.  But that isn't close to happening.  Hell I think most people would be fine just making the ALCS...havent done that since Jordan Leopold was on the Gophers.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 740

The Mets have the highest payroll in baseball and are 3 games below.500. The white Sox have a higher payroll than the twins and are at the bottom swimming among the whale shit. I believe 14 teams have gone 26+ years without a title and 4 or 5 have never won it. A lot has to go right with scouting, injuries, pitching depth/expectations, trades at the deadline, etc.. I criticize the ownership regularly and on occasion the manager but at the end of the day there isn’t a thing I can do about it and it is what it is. The small market large market payroll case only holds so much water in the glass anyway and I gripe at the twins lack of spending, lack of addressing needs with mediocre as much as the next guy. Twins fan for life.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5608

Woof. Lopez really grooving them in there in the first. 

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

I hope he’s paying attention to the strike zone in the 2nd inning because the twins hitters sure aren’t seeing any being called one.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I was about to write a post mentioning how they’re wasting lead off hits, but then they rallied for four two-out runs to tie it. 

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1513
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I heard on the radio (yes, this doesn't mean its exactly true) that only 10% of Minnesotans are able to watch Twins games live. If the Twins ownership isn't going to take the team seriously, I would argue fans shouldn't either.

It is a disgrace what they did with the team payroll year. Not to mention throwing a middle finger to the fans with the TV product this season. 

I know many are die hard Twins fans no matter what crap ownership pulls, and that’s their  prerogative. It’s been so long since Twins ownership established an artificial team salary cap that fans become weary of grousing about things Twins ownership does year after year, and that’s their prerogative. But for ME, the Comcast/Bally impasse is the last straw! Out of sight, out of mind. They’ll never reach a WS again, not with this half assed approach by the Pohlad family! It’s that simple. But, to each their own. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Gutsy win after being down 4-0 and then a lengthy delay. Santana killing it lately. 

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8197

Royce Lewis goes 0 for 5 while the rest of the team scores 7 runs on 13 hits. Time to bench Royce. 😉 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8339
Post on old board: 35040

Royce Lewis goes 0 for 5 while the rest of the team scores 7 runs on 13 hits. Time to bench Royce. 😉 

Trade him for 5 top prospects. Let's do this the Twins Way. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Another dinger for Lewis. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

He has been on base all 4 times he has been up. 

Single in the 1st, Single in the 3rd, Home Run in the 5th, Intentionally Walked in the 7th

The Rays are learning. 😉 😀 

Royce is pretty good.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1803596423277023387

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

R

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @karlsson

@Karlsson could make this post before the game starts and he would be right more than half the time. Counting the 2023 playoffs Royce has 14 home runs in his last 22 games. 😲 

https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1804350666753692146

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

This team just can’t find a way to stop losing in bunches. 

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2934
Post on old board: 7833

2007 Alex Rodriguez: 12

1976 Mike Schmidt: 12

2019 Aristides Aquino: 11 👈

2006 Albert Pujols: 11

Daria GIF by Paramount+

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3568
Post on old board: 30840

Twins win again today, Pablo absolutely dominates with 14 Ks in 8 innings allowing 2 hits and a walk. Hopefully this is the game that gets him back in his groove, as he's been pretty brutal far too often this year.

After starting 7-13 the Twins are now 43-35. Unfortunately Cleveland continues to play ridiculously well and still has a 7.5 game lead in the division.

The AL has 7 teams above .500 as we near the halfway mark of the season. 3 of them are in the AL East, 3 are in the AL Central. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13399
Post on old board: 9626

Nooooo. Correa gets HBP and has to leave the game. The 2nd inning in a row a Twins player was HBP.

Edit-- Good news. No bone break. Considered day to day.

https://twitter.com/RyanBHQ/status/1806446671125221817

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Funderburk plunked Blaze Alexander in the thigh in the ninth in what sure looked like retribution to me. Good time to do it, up seven runs in that last game of the series. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Somewhat related:

Bought La Velle E Neal's book about Twins history https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-franchise-la-velle-e-neal-iii/1144223730

It's good, but admittedly, needed better editing. A lot of repeat info in the different chapters. Overall, a good in-depth read. If one loves the Twins, I would recommend. 

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Ryan must be laughing his ass off right now. He tried to wave Rocco off but they took him out regardless, and now Thielbar has walked two lefties in a row.

Luckily, Santana makes a good play to bail him out. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Larnach really saves the day with a two run shot in the eighth. Another series win. 6-3 road trip. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Twins have won 15 of their last 20 series going 40-24 over the 64 games.

They won 5 of the 7 games in the season series against 1st place Seattle.

The Twins are tied for the 7th best record (out of 30) with Atlanta.

The AL Central is the only division with 3 of the top 10 records. The AL East and the NL East each have two while the AL West, NL Central, and NL West have one each.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4543
Post on old board: 12555

If they had better pitching maybe they’d contend?

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/SKORNorth/status/1808305844028612663

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1513
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/SKORNorth/status/1808305844028612663

Royce is trending towards a Byron Buxton injury trajectory. So frustrating 🙁

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The winning run last night. Buck affects games in SO many ways. 

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1808312822587445367

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

The winning run last night. Buck affects games in SO many ways. 

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1808312822587445367

His diving catch earlier in the game was a play not many in MLB could make.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

The Brooks Lee era has arrived.

https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1808601950998421838

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Brooks Lee is in the starting lineup tonight at 3rd base batting 8th.

In college and in the minors he played SS so it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to playing 3B. He has all the tools needed to be a very good major leaguer. It is not unusually for a top prospect to have some growing pains his first time in the majors so who knows how his first crack will go but having said that he will likely be a very good major leaguer at some point in the near future. As a result, I am very excited to see how he does.

With Correa, Lewis, Castro, Miranda, Lee, and Julian as 2B, SS, 3B options the Twins infield is in really good hands.

Yes Lewis is going on the 10 day IL and Julian is currently at AAA (St. Paul Saints) but they will likely both help the team in the near future.

With Lee's and Julian's continued development the Twins are going to have REALLY good depth soon.

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1808598651276832975

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

So much for Lee playing in the Future's game (that he was just selected for) which is part of the All Star festivities. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

This Festa guy doesn’t seem very good at his job. 

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

This home plate ump has made any attempt at a comeback impossible tonight. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Giving up three triples was impressive, at least. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Given the score, I’m pretty surprised this game is still going. The infield has quite a bit of standing water, as does the warning track. 

Edit: They finally get them off the field after the Tiger pitcher has a ball slip on him and hits Jeffers in the helmet. 

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

A few inches lower that hits Jeffers in the left eye. 12-3 with a downpour going on and more coming there’s no way that at bat should’ve even happened. Over and done with but very lucky that wasn’t a career ending pitch. 

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1336
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

A few inches lower that hits Jeffers in the left eye. 12-3 with a downpour going on and more coming there’s no way that at bat should’ve even happened. Over and

done with but very lucky that wasn’t a career ending pitch. 

they called the game done in the 7th

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I always get a kick out of people saying baseball players are wimps who wouldn't play in rain.

The increased chances of a major injury due to a pitch to the face as a result of pitchers throwing baseballs that are wet and slippery is why baseball games are typically stopped when it is raining too much.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Jose Miranda in 234 at bats this season is hitting .312 with an on base % of .354 and a slugging % of .504 (OPS of .859).

In June he hit .333/.388/.552 (OPS of .939) and is off to a great start in July going 5 for 5 today.

The MLB average OPS this season is right around .700

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1808943377351913510

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1808955505517473967

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Given the score, I’m pretty surprised this game is still going. The infield has quite a bit of standing water, as does the warning track. 

Edit: They finally get them off the field after the Tiger pitcher has a ball slip on him and hits Jeffers in the helmet. 

people sitting in champions club seats needed to get their moneys worth.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

A few inches lower that hits Jeffers in the left eye. 12-3 with a downpour going on and more coming there’s no way that at bat should’ve even happened. Over and

done with but very lucky that wasn’t a career ending pitch. 

they called the game done in the 7th

Listening to the game at home, and after that pitch, we were wondering how they hadn't called the game yet. Given the inning and run differential, seemed like a no-brainer. Thank goodness they called it. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

I feel bad for Miranda who was 5 for 5 in the game and had a chance to go 6 for 6 which I believe ties a Puckett record.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

I feel bad for Miranda who was 5 for 5 in the game and had a chance to go 6 for 6 which I believe ties a Puckett record.

The 12-13 two game thing against MIL, IIRC. 

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2934
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @the-rube

Posted by: @bertogliat

The 12-13 two game thing against MIL, IIRC. 

Not good quality, but…….

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

Miranda is already 2 for 2 tonight.  His 8th straight hit. ⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The longest on record is a three-way tie: the Tigers' Walt Dropo (1952), the Red Sox's Pinky Higgins (1938) and the Cubs' Johnny Kling (1902) all got hits in 12 straight at-bats.

13 player in the MLB expansion era -- since 1961 -- have a hit in 10 at-bats in a row or more, according to data provided by the Elias Sports Bureau. (Dustin Pedroia and Bernie Williams with 11 and 11 players with 10.

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 14