109 Users
874 Reactions
43.5 K Views
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2694
Post on old board: 15478

I would think his pops is advising him. Maybe he thinks he needs a season of playing in a boring defensive system.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2216
Post on old board: 15139

Lol idk anything about Mankato’s coach or if the cows still play that style but that’d be funny if true.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4921
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @handyman

Posted by: @jupiter

Which again is the weird thing, he could have just entered the portal and then anyone could contact him.

Actually since it was so late, he could not enter the portal since it the last entry date for this offseason was I think July 10th or so. But graduating school makes him a free agent of sorts, there was some conflicting info on if he actually graduated. But I guess he must have in order to just enroll at Mankato.

Everything I have read and been told over the years is if he graduated there is no date that the Portal closes.  Grad Transfers can jump in any time.  I am an amateur on this stuff at best though.

That is the strange part... IF... We really don't know if her did or not. I have heard. Yes. No. I have heard he has just a few more credits to get it done. Who really knows?

Well for a lot of reasons I hope he did Smile

Wish him nothing but the best...I never begrudge a guy continuing his dream.  Unless he goes to Wisconsin. (or Iowa in other sports) 😉

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

I would think his pops is advising him. Maybe he thinks he needs a season of playing in a boring defensive system.

That is funny.

I have to think they know he doesn't have much of a pro future (he wouldn't be going to school if anyone wanted him) so its probably more "time to work on that backup plan son!" Smile

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2207
Post on old board: 5631

I think he's good enough to have a pro future, I just don't think he's an NHL player. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

That's fair...question is does he want to play in Europe or the AHL.  Smart to take another year to figure everything out.

ReplyQuote
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 343

That's fair...question is does he want to play in Europe or the AHL.  Smart to take another year to figure everything out.

It's also possible the only interest he got this year was from the ECHL and he decided to pass on the long bus trips and $50K salary.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1899

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

If that’s the case I think it’s a poor decision to push out your leading scorer. Even if he struggled with the defensive side of the game. 

I'm sure if Bob didn't think he was 100% committed to playing at Minnesota this year, he encouraged Rhett to look at other options... which I think is absolutely the right call. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Eric Vegoe reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @joegopher

It's also possible the only interest he got this year was from the ECHL and he decided to pass on the long bus trips and $50K salary.

That was kind of my guess too.  Very easy to wait on that.

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1393

Personally... I'm surprised he didn't sign a deal to play in Europe. I'm wondering if the family thought they could get an AHL deal at least for this season and it was too late to find a Euro contract that was worthwhile when it didn't work out.

ReplyQuote
Page 30 / 30