874 Reactions
43.5 K Views
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4532
Post on old board: 12555

😂 

This has to confirm a rift between Rhett and Motzko.  

I wonder if he fought to get on the roster of a rival, only to settle for Mankato.  Mankato on its own makes zero sense.

ReplyQuote
Gopherr16
(@gopherr16)
Rep Pts: -36

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

He was benched in the biggest game of the season. Fault on both sides in my opinion. But Rhett couldn’t get over the sour grapes, too bad. 

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2581
Post on old board: 6782

My phone is blowing up this morning.  Mav fans are let’s say…..happy.  

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5602

This reeks of him thinking something better would be on the table only to have them fall through. Sometimes you miss when you take a swing. Best of luck to him. 

Eric Vegoe reacted
ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2694
Post on old board: 15478

A lightning-fast player who refuses to abide by any defensive structure goes to Mankato, a team full of league-average, older players who can only play that way for a chance to win.

Makes sense on both sides.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2207
Post on old board: 5631

It finally makes sense. Pitlick was told to find somewhere else to play.

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote

BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 571

Posted by: @bertogliat

😂 

This has to confirm a rift between Rhett and Motzko.  

I wonder if he fought to get on the roster of a rival, only to settle for Mankato.  Mankato on its own makes zero sense.

Anyone have any inside info?

-Always intended to leave and pro opportunities weren’t there?

-Coaching staff gave him a deadline and it past?

I find it hard to believe with his skills his lack of discipline pushed him out, for that would need to be cultural as well.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Look it’s a whole new world and to be fair we don’t know all that was going on behind the scenes but to me going to a team that’s an in state rival isn’t the best look. I guess it’s not like he went to North Dakota, Wisconsin, or Michigan and I understand the desire to play in state but it certainly feels like a bit of a middle finger. But maybe I’m just being sour grapes and I need to get over it. Just don’t score against Minnesota. 

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 360

I think Bob is a great coach and I love what he’s brought back to Gopher hockey, but I do think he may start to get tired (if he hasn’t already) of the new age of transfers and players seeming to have all the power. More and more I can see him wanting to retire in say within the next 5 years. You can tell he’s not going to deal with any BS from players, parents, advisers which cause to decide he’s had enough. 

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 571

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Look it’s a whole new world and to be fair we don’t know all that was going on behind the scenes but to me going to a team that’s an in state rival isn’t the best look. I guess it’s not like he went to North Dakota, Wisconsin, or Michigan and I understand the desire to play in state but it certainly feels like a bit of a middle finger. But maybe I’m just being sour grapes and I need to get over it. Just don’t score against Minnesota. 

Mankato isn’t a middle finger.  We don’t play them and they won’t make the tourney.

Jankwi01, HandyNotDan, trixR4kids and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2216
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

I think Bob is a great coach and I love what he’s brought back to Gopher hockey, but I do think he may start to get tired (if he hasn’t already) of the new age of transfers and players seeming to have all the power. More and more I can see him wanting to retire in say within the next 5 years. You can tell he’s not going to deal with any BS from players, parents, advisers which cause to decide he’s had enough. 

Maybe or this is what he intended, not like Rhett and him always got along, he got benched more than any other player I can remember.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Posted by: @boninthebear

Mankato isn’t a middle finger.  We don’t play them and they won’t make the tourney.

Fair enough. Like I said, I’m probably being a little bit unnecessarily bitter and harsh. 

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1512
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

tBob is 63, saying he will coach 5 more years is a stretch. If Gophers win their last game during next few years…he may retire sooner. That’s pretty much the only thing missing from his coaching resume. 

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

The fact that he ended up at Mankato, makes it pretty likely that him leaving Minnesota wasn't his decision

gopheritall, upnorthkid, trixR4kids and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5602

Posted by: @j22

The fact that he ended up at Mankato, makes it pretty likely that him leaving Minnesota wasn't his decision

This is a simpler explanation than the one I thought up earlier, which makes me think it’s likely correct thinking about it again. 

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

If that’s the case I think it’s a poor decision to push out your leading scorer. Even if he struggled with the defensive side of the game. 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

This is a simpler explanation than the one I thought up earlier, which makes me think it’s likely correct thinking about it again. 

I would guess that Pitlick decided that he was going to turn pro after last season and probably burned some bridges on the way out. After the NHL teams let him know that there wasn't any interest, returning to the U probably wasn't an option anymore.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2216
Post on old board: 15139

Agreed it’s probably something along these lines, I’m just speculating based on zero inside info. He probably got forced out to give others more playing time whether it’s the incoming guys or someone like Jimmy Clark who should probably have a bigger role on the team this year. I only say that due to him getting benched more often than anyone I can think of due to neglecting the defensive side of the game (and not being talented enough on offense to justify it). Him looking to go pro could’ve been what forced this or it could’ve been a reaction to being in the doghouse. The fact that it’s Mankato makes me think he was low on options.

As far as him being a leading scorer that’s partly due to having a role in the top 6 and ample power play time, it’s definitely not irreplaceable. I don’t think he’s a bad player but he was wildly inconsistent. 

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5153
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @trixr4kids

The fact that it’s Mankato makes me think he was low on options.

At this stage?  Very low.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2154

I'll always remember Rhett for one of the most amazing goals I've ever seen.

ReplyQuote

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1264

Best of luck to Rhett. Odd situation but maybe best for both sides to move on.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13399
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Let's take a deep breath and try to piece this together and try to debunk some stuff. Everything is pure speculation of course.

1. If Bob was the reason he left, why didn't Rhett enter the transfer portal in any of the previous chances he had? I would guess lots of teams would have loved to have him.

2. Brodzinski was in the "doghouse" as much as or more than Rhett was. Other than the benching during a few games, nothing ever came out that Bob and Rhett were having issues. Fans need to remember that Bob needs to make sure everyone is pulling the rope in the same direction, and sometimes that means players need to sit a shift or 2. 

3. From most reports, Rhett tried to find a pro deal, and when he didn't get the offers he wanted, he decided to return to college to try to create more interest next year. It happened so late that most rosters were already full, so he had to settle with Kato. 

4. Rhett seems to be a free spirit. So something like this is not totally unexpected.

5. I have no ill will towards Rhett. Best of luck to him, but if a player is not all in, it might be good for them to move on. We have seen it before when players come back and their heart really isn't with the Gophers.

For Bob haters, these last few days have added fuel to their so called fire. For the rest of us, we know "stuff" happens, and it will all work out. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle, trixR4kids, Rau4SkiUMah and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5153
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @frozen4champs

3. From most reports, Rhett tried to find a pro deal, and when he didn't get the offers he wanted, he decided to return to college to try to create more interest next year. It happened so late that most rosters were already full, so he had to settle with Kato. 

This seems the simplest and most obvious explanation to be found.

And, agreed, no hard feelings, it seems apparent that the Gophers had other plans well in place already, so, no real harm done.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Neely reacted
ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Let's take a deep breath and try to piece this together and try to debunk some stuff. Everything is pure speculation of course.

1. If Bob was the reason he left, why didn't Rhett enter the transfer portal in any of the previous chances he had? I would guess lots of teams would have loved to have him.

2. Brodzinski was in the "doghouse" as much as or more than Rhett was. Other than the benching during a few games, nothing ever came out that Bob and Rhett were having issues. Fans need to remember that Bob needs to make sure everyone is pulling the rope in the same direction, and sometimes that means players need to sit a shift or 2. 

4. Rhett seems to be a free spirit. So something like this is not totally unexpected.

5. I have no ill will towards Rhett. Best of luck to him, but if a player is not all in, it might be good for them to move on. We have seen it before when players come back and their heart really isn't with the Gophers.

For Bob haters, these last few days have added fuel to their so called fire. For the rest of us, we know "stuff" happens, and it will all work out. 

I'm not saying that Motzko was the reason that he left, but it's pretty clear that Motzko knew that he wasn't coming back long before any of us did. I don't believe Motzko was ever waiting to see what Rhett decided.

I have no idea what would have brought it about, but I think it's pretty clear that at some point Pitlick was told that he wasn't welcome back.

bearpaw28 reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

Rhett was a legacy & an exciting player to watch….he had moments where he FLASHED. Clearly he planned to sign a pro deal, but nothing substantial materialized, & by then it was (most likely) too late to return to Gophers, so he landed in Mankato where his skill set will be welcomed. Hey…it’s not like he transferred to Denver.

ReplyQuote
Gopherr16
(@gopherr16)
Rep Pts: -36

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Rhett was a legacy & an exciting player to watch….he had moments where he FLASHED. Clearly he planned to sign a pro deal, but nothing substantial materialized, & by then it was (most likely) too late to return to Gophers, so he landed in Mankato where his skill set will be welcomed. Hey…it’s not like he transferred to Denver.

Bearpaw is like the Carl Gerbschmidt of GPL.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level

Posted by: @gopherr16

lol 😂 Some folks resent that hit song by Lizzo (too)

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

Posted by: @gopherr16

Gerby is way more factual and knowledgeable. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4922
Post on old board: 28736

It is not a middle finger...he obviously thought he could go pro and no one wanted him.  He picked a team close to home.

I don't see why anyone is upset Mankato is not a rival.  

Jupiter ♃ reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

My phone is blowing up this morning.  Mav fans are let’s say…..happy.  

How sad for them.

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I would guess that Pitlick decided that he was going to turn pro after last season and probably burned some bridges on the way out. After the NHL teams let him know that there wasn't any interest, returning to the U probably wasn't an option anymore.

This is what I would bet as well.  Bob said he was going pro for a reason.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

How does one who (and their entire family) bleeds maroon and gold come to a decision to play at another school?  I would imagine he’s hopeful a great year of being a dominant player in a lesser league somehow gives him another shot at the next level, but it’s got to feel a little dirty?  

Best of luck to him. I hope he finds what he’s looking for.  We’ll miss the little jello salad.  

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1892
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @gopher6

So any updates to Mariucci arena for the upcoming season? I know from watching last season on tv the lighting had a few issues to watch the games

Not unless tweaks to things such as lighting or behind the scenes.  They got Ridder switched over to the same cooling system as Mariucci this offseason, so fully replaced both arena's refrigeration.

There's a plan to redo the concourse at Mariucci at the ends to expand it and create more room (would take away some seats in the end.  I got the plan overview form the Golden Gopher Fund trying to get a donation.  No idea when/if that ever actually happens.  It was phase 3 of the Mariucci plan.  It did not happen this offseason.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I just hope they updated the All American Murals and the Olympic Banners. It is a pet peeve of mine that they did not update those last year. I think some said they did not update them last off season due to the construction. For a high profile program like the Gophers, it is unacceptable.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

I know there were several banners not hung back up last year due to interference with the new lights.  Curious of those will be up this year.  

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8050

I just hope they updated the All American Murals and the Olympic Banners. It is a pet peeve of mine that they did not update those last year. I think some said they did not update them last off season due to the construction. For a high profile program like the Gophers, it is unacceptable.

Arent they redoing the concourse next offseason? I remember hearing somewhere that they’re waiting update certain murals and such til they finish construction on the concourse.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Per Mike McMahon's podcast on the Pitlick situation. He went into detail with the info he has gathered. What people are telling him, since he graduated from Mn he did not have to enter the portal. He also said that since he was a "grad student" he could enroll at any school as a "student". He also said that Mankato could not contact him at all and after Rhett enrolled, Rhett then called the Kato coach and said, hey, I'm enrolled here, can I join the team? It seems hard to believe that no conversation was had with the Kato coach before hand. Kato seems a weird place to get his masters....

McMahon said he had many coaches call him about this and had to do some digging to see how this happened. He said, like most of us said, Pitlick wanted a pro deal and found nothing acceptable, so he decided to go back to school. McMahon did not bring up if there was any ill will between Motzko and Pitlick. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2571

Per Mike McMahon's podcast on the Pitlick situation. He went into detail with the info he has gathered. What people are telling him, since he graduated from Mn he did not have to enter the portal. He also said that since he was a "grad student" he could enroll at any school as a "student". He also said that Mankato could not contact him at all and after Rhett enrolled, Rhett then called the Kato coach and said, hey, I'm enrolled here, can I join the team? It seems hard to believe that no conversation was had with the Kato coach before hand. Kato seems a weird place to get his masters....

McMahon said he had many coaches call him about this and had to do some digging to see how this happened. He said, like most of us said, Pitlick wanted a pro deal and found nothing acceptable, so he decided to go back to school. McMahon did not bring up if there was any ill will between Motzko and Pitlick. 

interesting. Probably also then driven by a team has to be willing to take on a guy VERY late and I’d envision he still wants to be reasonably close to home

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

I hope that my bosses get some information on this during some of their donor and collective gatherings in the next couple of weeks.  Both of them had NO idea that this was coming because they text me as soon as it was made public by the Mavs.  The funny thing is that Pitlick was the last hockey related subject we had on Friday before we left work.  It was crazy how quiet this all was.

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 373

But why was it 'too late' to return to the Gophers but not another school?  That is what seems to be strange. Seems like he must have made a decision that he didn't want to return, more than Bob not wanting him.  Sure, he wasn't the greatest defensive forward, but has a lot of offensive ability.  It is not like there is no room for him.  What coach turns away proven talent in a year they have a shot at winning it all? The more talent the more competition among lines. I find it hard to believe a guy of Bob's age would turn petty enough to tell him to leave (unless Pitlick really said some crap at the end.)  And Pitlick obviously would have a number of friends on the team.  It doesn't sound like it is likely he is getting scholarship money at Mankato, so why not UM?  Just seems like either he really didn't like Bob, or said some things he probably shouldn't have when he was confident he would be signing a contract. And therefore didn't feel he had a place there anymore.  But I am guessing we will never know for sure.  Hopefully he learns from this.  I hope it is the ultimate learning lesson in that he watches the Gophs win it all. (Wait, To be clear. It is not because I want Pitlick to suffer. Seem like a decent kid.  Just that I want the Gophs to win another so badly.  Hell if I'm going to say that I don't want the Gophs to do well just so he doesn't feel bad. Wink )

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

To me it seems plausible that Bob gave him a deadline to make a decision and that deadline passed, which closed the door on him returning. Bob does not seem to allow any player to be bigger than the team and holds individuals accountable. 

I think they should have welcomed Pitlick back if he wanted to return but many factors may have made it better for both parties to move on. 

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Mike McMahon would have known most of that information if he just looked at how Grad Transfer rules work...or the Portal for that matter.  Not ripping him just saying most of that information is easy to find.

Weird Pitlick chose that route.  He could have entered the portal and then the coaches could have contacted him. Graduated students can enter I believe at any time.  That tells me this was a last minute deal...he waited as long as he could to find a pro deal, maybe enrolled at MSU as a backup plan and then when he realized he was not going to get a deal decided on school and then contacted the coaches.  

That is probably why no one knew anything gman, it probably came out of nowhere in the eyes of most people in the program.  Even if someone had an inkling based on his enrollment if it got out it would look like tampering.

edit to add: I have friends that got their Masters at MSUM it is a pretty solid school.  And as someone who spent a decade teaching in the State System and who took grad classes at multiple schools (mostly Bemidji) I can say it is a smart path if he is truly looking to get a post grad education at a good cost.

Also I apologize if the tone of my post seemed snarky, it was not meant that way but I just re-read it and realized I seemed kind of that way unintentionally.

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Even if someone had an inkling based on his enrollment if it got out it would look like tampering.

We had that very conversation this morning here at work.  My bosses don't believe they will really get much info at all because of the possibility of appearing like tampering.  Both my bosses and I do believe that there is NO way that Pitlick moved here to Mankato and enrolled in school without the coaching staff knowing of his arrival. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Even if someone had an inkling based on his enrollment if it got out it would look like tampering.

We had that very conversation this morning here at work.  My bosses don't believe they will really get much info at all because of the possibility of appearing like tampering.  Both my bosses and I do believe that there is NO way that Pitlick moved here to Mankato and enrolled in school without the coaching staff knowing of his arrival. 

I don't doubt they knew...I am sure he (or someone who reps him) told them it was a possibility but that he wouldn't know until he passed the point of no return for a pro deal.  It had to be a real one sided convo though because of the rules.

Which again is the weird thing, he could have just entered the portal and then anyone could contact him.  Thing is usually players do that to force the issue with the pros (get a better deal in theory though I always question that logic) even though it tends to burn the bridge of the school you are currently at.  With what little we actually know everything seems to indicate he likely wanted to not burn bridges at the U but by making his intentions known he wanted to go pro Bob moved on...which to me is the right move.  The longer you wait trying to figure out if someone might come back the more likely you are to have roster issues.  Smart coaches in all sports assume when a player is looking to move on (either in the portal or the pros) you assume they are gone until told otherwise.

I dunno...I think the Pitlicks and Motzko knew exactly how this would play out and everyone is fine with it.  Pitlick was done with the U but didn't want to spit in their face and Motzko was fine having a roster without him and letting him do what he felt was in his best interest.  The door was closed, but not slammed in his face.

(again based only one what little we actually know)

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

That is how we feel about here after talking this morning.  Everything you said just seems like the scenario that played out and I don't think there will be or are sour grapes on either side.  I don't hold any grudge on Rhett if this is how he played it for his career.  The Gophers got three good years from a great player and now the Mavs will benefit for possibly the next two from a player who played at a high level and will add much needed scoring to their lineup.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5608
Post on old board: 15786

Which again is the weird thing, he could have just entered the portal and then anyone could contact him.

Actually since it was so late, he could not enter the portal since it the last entry date for this offseason was I think July 10th or so. But graduating school makes him a free agent of sorts, there was some conflicting info on if he actually graduated. But I guess he must have in order to just enroll at Mankato.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Which again is the weird thing, he could have just entered the portal and then anyone could contact him.

Actually since it was so late, he could not enter the portal since it the last entry date for this offseason was I think July 10th or so. But graduating school makes him a free agent of sorts, there was some conflicting info on if he actually graduated. But I guess he must have in order to just enroll at Mankato.

Everything I have read and been told over the years is if he graduated there is no date that the Portal closes.  Grad Transfers can jump in any time.  I am an amateur on this stuff at best though.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5608
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @jupiter

Everything I have read and been told over the years is if he graduated there is no date that the Portal closes.  Grad Transfers can jump in any time.  I am an amateur on this stuff at best though.

That is the strange part... IF... We really don't know if her did or not. I have heard. Yes. No. I have heard he has just a few more credits to get it done. Who really knows?

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2571

To me it just screams of this was really the last option and he made the best of enrolling late at a school he could get a degree. Don’t think he had any intention of playing college until me saw the level of offers he had to go pro and I’d imagine he just signs immediately after the Mavs season ends or hangs it up if it doesn’t work out/he can’t showcase himself better

ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 30