1,383 Posts
109 Users
818 Reactions
39.9 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7906

Rinzel and Thomas number switched make sense cause they’re both what they wore in high school but man it always sucks when you gotta retrain your brain to associate a new number with a player😂

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4510
Post on old board: 12555

I have zero interest in a Gopher Jersey that has a Goldy Logo on the front.  It should be a block M or the script "Gophers" and nothing else.

GopherPete reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Rinzel and Thomas number switched make sense cause they’re both what they wore in high school but man it always sucks when you gotta retrain your brain to associate a new number with a player😂

Wait until you're old and have to do that with every player every year.  🤣 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @bertogliat

I have zero interest in a Gopher Jersey that has a Goldy Logo on the front.  It should be a block M or the script "Gophers" and nothing else.

Hey man we're just here to water your lawn.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2537

Posted by: @bertogliat

i'll take yours when the school donates a bunch of them to we faithful GPL followers. 

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 157

@upnorthkid 

Yeah I guess I am a get off my lawn too since I do NOT care for the skating goldie as a logo.  Big M, gophers, the old tough looking gopher, just about anything else.  I wouldn't buy it but not trying to rain on the parade of buyers.  On a hockey note, now are we feeling about filling the big holes (size and leadership) of Nelson and Brodzinski?  A dynamic duo for the past couple years and Nelson pretty much carried the team through the playoff run.  Do we have that guy this year? Can Snuggy do that?

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

I assume that’s why Wood is coming in, to replace Nelson’s production and position on the depth chart.

ReplyQuote

BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 541

Posted by: @mg-since-forever

@upnorthkid 

Yeah I guess I am a get off my lawn too since I do NOT care for the skating goldie as a logo.  Big M, gophers, the old tough looking gopher, just about anything else.  I wouldn't buy it but not trying to rain on the parade of buyers.  On a hockey note, now are we feeling about filling the big holes (size and leadership) of Nelson and Brodzinski?  A dynamic duo for the past couple years and Nelson pretty much carried the team through the playoff run.  Do we have that guy this year? Can Snuggy do that?

I think the team will have success for different reasons than replacing Nelson, Brodz, Pitlick.

They will have more production from the bottom 6, and a better Power Play.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @trixr4kids

I assume that’s why Wood is coming in, to replace Nelson’s production and position on the depth chart.

Wood likely plays wing this year, but I suppose it’s not out of the question if he’s good at draws.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Wood likely plays wing this year, but I suppose it’s not out of the question if he’s good at draws.

He didn't play much center last year.  The UConn website shows he won 37/99 faceoffs last season (37% win).

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 106

@maroon_and_gold 

I don't think he is good at draws. Believe he was under 30%

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @boninthebear

Posted by: @mg-since-forever

@upnorthkid 

I think the team will have success for different reasons than replacing Nelson, Brodz, Pitlick.

They will have more production from the bottom 6, and a better Power Play.

Id also add being better defensively (the whole d core is back) and a little more dynamic off the rush across multiple lines. Theres a reason Bob is high on this group

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Agreed, I feel like gopher dmen are typically at their best in year 3. 

Idk the center depth of the team because idk what positions the new guys play but assuming that’s not an issue the team should be fine. Didn’t realize wood was a winger but I’m sure he’ll be fine whatever position he plays. Curious to see if Moore improves in playmaking ability. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13274
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

A funny note from the story-- 

Telling his father was a bit more of a challenge, Gruba joked. Tony’s college arch-rivals wore that Gopher ‘M’ and Minnesota ended the elder Gruba’s college career in 1994, beating SCSU in overtime of the WCHA playoff title game in Milwaukee. Leo recalled, with a smile, that as a youth hockey player he was instructed to switch from number 4 to number 5, because Tony felt that yelling “Go Four!” sounded too much like “Gopher!”

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1835317670427672793

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

A couple of predictions/takes for the upcoming season:

- Snuggerud will be the first Gopher to score 30 goals in a season since Ryan Potulny scored 38 in 2005-06

- the team will reach the 30 win threshold for the first time since 2006-07

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

- Snuggerud will be the first Gopher to score 30 goals in a season since Ryan Potulny scored 38 in 2005-06

30 wins would be awesome. Part of it helped by a weaker NC schedule, but let’s also hope it includes the last win of the season

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @upnorthkid

30 wins would be awesome. Part of it helped by a weaker NC schedule, but let’s also hope it includes the last win of the season

Yep, weak non-con plus two free games from playing in the icebreaker

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1480
Post on old board: 6912

While being buoyed about the teams potential is understandable…after two decades + one…NOBODY cares if they win 30 games…unless they win their last 4 games too. Being KINGS of the Regular Season…means Jack-Squat (at this juncture). 

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Meh, we all (not you lol) want to see them win that and can also acknowledge that the tourney has a stupid format that doesn’t exactly increase the likelihood of the best teams winning. Personally I’d like to see this team perform be more consistent in the regular season and be better in the big ten tourney, especially if they get another home game for the final. Ideally come playoff time they’re playing their best hockey and hopefully the chips fall in their favor. 

The “win a national championship or bust!” expectation is for casual fans. 

Slap Shot, BlueBandit24, Any Road and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Forgive him. His team finally won some titles that are more recent than Minnesota's so he thinks he's in position to hockeysplain around here.  Except this is what it feels like reading him:

trixR4kids, frozen4champs, MikeEruzione11 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 106

@upnorthkid 

I don't share the optimism why you like this team so much?

ReplyQuote

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Can’t speak for them but the D core being slightly more experienced, improvement in Snuggy’s game, and better forward depth aren’t unrealistic expectations that result in an improved team. 

ReplyQuote
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 157

I kind of agree here with trix.  The D core was actually pretty good last year and should be markedly better this year.  I do still feel like there are some unknowns but NOT talent wise.  Leadership and cool heads/experience at certain positions but I think we are in a better situation than most teams there also.  Close, Nelson, and Brodz (admit not always a fan) gave some pretty solid " we got this" type leadership last year and even the year before.  Snuggy needs to seriously step up and play with some intensity as a line LEADER not the feed me the puck guy he has been at times (not that we shouldn't feed him the puck of course:). There is a goalie question no doubt but feeling OK about that combo.  The rest?  So many top recruits there has to be some excitement I would hope

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1252

I am very bullish on this team. Feels it was put together with intention; complementary skillsets all over the ice with the high-end talent to steal wins on nights they do not deserve it.

Goaltending is a question mark, though I would guess the floor there is adequate play. This should be a contender...no reason why they cannot be one of the nation's elite.

maroon and gold, Rau4SkiUMah, upnorthkid and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @jankwi01

@upnorthkid 

I don't share the optimism why you like this team so much?

100% d core. You’re returning everyone, Koster is healthier a year and you had a green Rinzel as your major pick mover who now has his year under his belt. Usually that’s a big jump year for d men as is the soph-jun transition. Bobs best teams are built from the back and that is what it takes to win in April. Then you brought in scoring in Wood, have a veteran laden middle 6 and a ton of speed on the bottom 6 to keep pressure on. Biggest question is goaltending and we have seen Souilere be very good in the past for PSU if the lights are too bright for Airey (I don’t think this will be the case, but respect to Bob for bringing him in). Actually feels quite similar to the 21-22 to 22-23 years in that we unloaded a lot of vets up front (Walker, Meyers, McLaughlin, Sorensen, Broz, Cruikshank, Lucius) but brought back so much on the blue line. I am super optimistic about Moore’s game fitting well with Snuggerud and Wood if that is the combo we get and think it will feel very similar to Knies, Cooley, Snuggerud. 

so in short, a dominant top line and a veteran d core with depth scoring available all over the lineup that also plays solid defense. They may not be as blue chip as BC but they’ll be older and more physical with some difference makers across the lineup. Reminds me a lot of DU last year 

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 418

I think people are really underestimating how good Wood will be. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @jaykay3

I think people are really underestimating how good Wood will be. 

totally agree 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

I hope so because it's there's not been a great record of transfers coming here and lighting it up.  Although as soon as I type that surely I'm forgetting someone.  🤣 

TheBirdman reacted
ReplyQuote

Boosker
(@boosker14)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 216

Posted by: @slap-shot

transfers coming here and lighting it up.

Maybe if we start pulling entire D cores from the portal like Mercenary U up in Grand Forks...

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 163

Posted by: @slap-shot

I hope so because it's there's not been a great record of transfers coming here and lighting it up.  Although as soon as I type that surely I'm forgetting someone.  🤣 

In fairness, they don't bring a ton of transfers. Cruikshank was disappointing a couple of years ago, then did well at Jan. Lafontaine was a phenomenal transfer who was able to help the program by coming and going, IMO. Going back pre-portal, first name that comes to mind is Jacob Cephis -- think he did decently.

Likewise, I'm sure I'm forgetting many or may not have realized someone was a transfer.

Looking forward to seeing Moore this year - think he really matured at World Jrs last year and was much better the second half. My expectations for him were skewed greatly by Cooley the year before - which was obviously unfair. Not sure if we'll see the Moore-Wood-Snuggy but if that's how it plays out, but certainly high ceiling there.

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2880
Post on old board: 7833

GIF

Some transfers only a select few on here will remember just as a history lesson and not to make any points.

Tom Younghans (St. Mary’s)

Mike Greeder (Gustavus)

Mike Reilly Sr. (Colorado College)

Mike Knoke (Colorado College)

Butsy Erickson (Cornell)

Deano Williamson (Denver)

Tony Bianchi (St. Cloud)

I’m sure I’m forgetting several

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Nick Seeler did well, he’s a recent one. Mike Szmatula wore a letter as well.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @iceburg

GIF

Some transfers only a select few on here will remember just as a history lesson and not to make any points.

Tom Younghans (St. Mary’s)

Mike Greeder (Gustavus)

Mike Reilly Sr. (Colorado College)

Mike Knoke (Colorado College)

Butsy Erickson (Cornell)

Deano Williamson (Denver)

Tony Bianchi (St. Cloud)

I’m sure I’m forgetting several

Did Butsy Erickson seriously go to Cornell? He played 4 years in maroon and gold how does that make any sense?

ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 28