1,460 Posts
109 Users
874 Reactions
43.5 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8050

MSU too. They’re really deep up front and have Trey Augustine in net. I actually like MSU more than Michigan at this point in time.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 571

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

MSU too. They’re really deep up front and have Trey Augustine in net. I actually like MSU more than Michigan at this point in time.

Wisconsin is also tough.  Brought in another great goalie.

Our season depends on Airey and if the individual talent is willing to sacrifice for the team as we have more NHL talent than ice time.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @boninthebear

Wisconsin is also tough.  Brought in another great goalie.

Our season depends on Airey and if the individual talent is willing to sacrifice for the team as we have more NHL talent than ice time.

I really think Wisconsin is a big sleeper team this year both in the Big Ten and nationally. They lost a lot of talent on paper but they got older and more experienced through transfers and that’s what makes Hastings teams dangerous. 

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 110

@upnorthkid 

Why are you so bullish on Michigan?

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Once again it’s going to be a slugfest all year long in the B1G. No easy games. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State could all make some serious noise along with the Gophers and then you have Penn State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame won’t be pushovers either. Should be a fun year! Is it October yet? 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2571

Posted by: @jankwi01

@upnorthkid 

Why are you so bullish on Michigan?

i'm not; I think MN is above on paper (we still need to see what we've got in net however) both in terms of star power as well as in terms of depth.

michigan as of now has mcgroarty back who is an all american caliber player, plus a bunch of depth guys up front in addition to a solid recruiting class and some high quality guys on the backend. they'll look very different, but i'd put them at #2 in the league though it could also be Mich St (the loss of Levshunov for them is massive).

the other 4 i'd put well down the list compared to the top 3. Wisconsin is probably number 4, but that's purely a stylistic thing that will make them tougher to play against in a typically high flying, younger b10. 

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid 

I think if McGroarty goes pro Michigan misses the tournament.

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid 

I think if McGroarty goes pro Michigan misses the tournament.

I think this is a little too negative a take on them. Even without him they still have TJ Hughes, Schifsky, and Moldenauer who all had more than 20 points as well as bring in Hage who lit it up in the USHL this year to fill some scoring punch. Lovell and Whitelaw from the portal will also help. They won't have the "high end" quite so much as in past years, but they'll be plenty deep with some top guys who can hurt you. May be similar to last year's gopher team

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid 

They don't play defense in the regular season. Motzko doesn't let the Gophers play that way. I'm also not sure how good the ferris state goalie is from the portal.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I think Michigan is going to have a very tough time keeping the puck out of their net but I still think they’ll make the tournament.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid 

They don't play defense in the regular season. Motzko doesn't let the Gophers play that way. I'm also not sure how good the ferris state goalie is from the portal.

and yet the team that won the title finished 20th in GA/G this year, even with giving up only 11 goals in 8 games in all postseason play. Prior to the postseason they would've been tied with Michigan at 32nd. Different styles work and Michigan will have a lot of talent still this year. 

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid

Michigan is 23–21–4 the past 2 years in big 10 play. That's with all those talented players. What are they going to be like with less talent? Probably under 500 in big 10 play which may result in missing the tournament.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid

Michigan is 23–21–4 the past 2 years in big 10 play. That's with all those talented players. What are they going to be like with less talent? Probably under 500 in big 10 play which may result in missing the tournament.

and the year before they were 16-8. There’s only one other team above .500 aside from MN and it’s Mich st. When the gophers have as ridiculously dominant as season as they did 2 years ago, it’s going to kill everyone else’s records in that time span. 

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Wanted to look at how rosters stacked up. I know plenty of teams win it all without picks, spare me.  I’m bored and want it to be October.

Assumed 2006’s would be on the roster if draft picks.  Also called out Rd1-3 picks as there is a drop off statistically in a number of categories once you get past round 3.  Same could be said after round 1 but numbers were smaller. 

MN (17 picks, 6 in Rd1-3)

ND (16 picks, 5 in Rd1-3)

BU (15 picks, 10 in Rd1-3)

Denver (13 picks, 4 in Rd1-3, assumes Zeev back)

BC (12 picks, 9 in Rd1-3, assumes Hagens 1st rounder)

UMASS (12 picks, 3 in Rd1-3)

MI (9 picks, 6 in Rd1-3, assumes McGroarty back)

Sparty (9 picks, 4 in Rd1-3)

WI (9 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

Notre Dame (8 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

CC (8 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

SCSU (7 picks, 2 in Rd1-3)

Didn’t see anyone else in top 20 Pairwise from last year with more than 5, although went pretty fast through it.

UMASS in Vegas could be fun.  BU and BC with a spoil of riches.  

ReplyQuote

Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@boninthebear 

Weren't danny Nelson and Cole Knuble both second round picks for Norte Dame?

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid 

Wisconsin almost won the conference last year. Mel was the coach 3 years ago and was generally a better coach than Naurato. I think the year before their was a lot of parity in the conference but Michigan has underachied in conference play the past 2 years.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1264

@boninthebear 

Weren't danny Nelson and Cole Knuble both second round picks for Norte Dame?

Knuble went in Round 4. Correct on Nelson.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Wanted to look at how rosters stacked up. I know plenty of teams win it all without picks, spare me.  I’m bored and want it to be October.

Assumed 2006’s would be on the roster if draft picks.  Also called out Rd1-3 picks as there is a drop off statistically in a number of categories once you get past round 3.  Same could be said after round 1 but numbers were smaller. 

WI (9 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

CC (8 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

Didn’t see anyone else in top 20 Pairwise from last year with more than 5, although went pretty fast through it.

Nodak has 13 not 16

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

WI (9 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

CC (8 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

Nodak has 13 not 16

You didn’t factor in all of the ‘05 and ‘06 birth years (per the assumptions I referenced).  Still a chance someone like Will Zellers can come in before the start of the season and to be consistent was the easiest way to do it. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

@upnorthkid 

Wisconsin almost won the conference last year. Mel was the coach 3 years ago and was generally a better coach than Naurato. I think the year before their was a lot of parity in the conference but Michigan has underachied in conference play the past 2 years.

im more just saying citing teams records from the past 2 years is not going to impact what they do this year one iota as it’s all relative. The B10 has also gotten massively better over that time period with MSU figuring life out and Wisconsin returning to the land of the living. It looked like Nauruto figured something out towards tail end of last year (this was only his first year as a head coach in noninterim status after Mel was fired very late). Maybe they’ll get worse, but there’s a lot of talent on that team that people are sleeping on mixed with a lot of older guys who hit and grind which is a good mix

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

WI (9 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

CC (8 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

Nodak has 13 not 16

You didn’t factor in all of the ‘05 and ‘06 birth years (per the assumptions I referenced).  Still a chance someone like Will Zellers can come in before the start of the season and to be consistent was the easiest way to do it. 

Yeah I get why you did it just to be consistent with all the teams but I can tell you as a fact they have 13 cause they already posted their roster lol 

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @upnorthkid

@upnorthkid 

im more just saying citing teams records from the past 2 years is not going to impact what they do this year one iota as it’s all relative. The B10 has also gotten massively better over that time period with MSU figuring life out and Wisconsin returning to the land of the living. It looked like Nauruto figured something out towards tail end of last year (this was only his first year as a head coach in noninterim status after Mel was fired very late). Maybe they’ll get worse, but there’s a lot of talent on that team that people are sleeping on mixed with a lot of older guys who hit and grind which is a good mix

Not to pat ourselves on the back too much but I feel like we do it the best in terms of a balanced roster construction where 1st rounders are sprinkled in with the proven college talent. Lamb, Kurth, Pitlick, Huglen, Ziemer, Clark, etc., etc. are all 3-4 year guys that continue the pulse of the program after guys like Cooley come and leave quickly. 

Michigan feels like they’re in more of a rebuild mode more frequently.

Jankwi01 and upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

WI (9 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

CC (8 picks, 1 in Rd1-3)

Nodak has 13 not 16

Yeah I get why you did it just to be consistent with all the teams but I can tell you as a fact they have 13 cause they already posted their roster lol 

Link?

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2603
Post on old board: 11850

IMG 8989

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Posted by: @zwak

IMG 8989

Season’s over. Fold the program. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8185

2023 Jayson Shaugabay Warroad
2022 Max Strand Roseau High School
2021 Jack Peart Grand Rapids H.S.
2020 Blake Biondi Hermantown H.S.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

has to be pretty close to if not the longest stretch of outstate (especially northern MN) kids ever

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7942
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

North coast bias.

ReplyQuote

BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

The Chesley and Thomas ones are definitely interesting. Huglen surprising to me also. 

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

The Chesley and Thomas ones are definitely interesting. Huglen surprising to me also. 

Chesley made no sense to me so I checked, he was at camp.  As was Cal Thomas with Utah.

No Huglen, Koster, Pitlick, or Brodzinski.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Chesley made no sense to me so I checked, he was at camp.  As was Cal Thomas with Utah.

No Huglen, Koster, Pitlick, or Brodzinski.

I mean for several of these guys, it would likely be ECHL or nothing and given the degrees and connections these guys get access to, there’s nothing wrong with knowing you’re ready to move on after you’re done. Pitlick is the only one that’s somewhat surprising to me, but sometimes it can be a breath of fresh air for guys to ultimately become free agents. Not like they won’t have enough film on any of them

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Just saw this, interesting that Chesley, Thomas, Koster, Huglen, and Pitlick weren’t at camps?  Also, no Brodzinski.

https://www.si.com/college/minnesota/gophers-hockey/18-gophers-of-past-present-and-future-participating-in-nhl-development-camps-01j29gjjq9c0#:~:text=The%20current%20Gophers%20participating%20in,(Nashville)%2C%20Brody%20Lamb%20(

I literally saw videos of Chesley and Thomas at their camp.

Edit: someone else clarified that sorry

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13399
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Isn't Brodzinski opting for being a free agent and not signing with the Flyers. Is that date still Aug 15th? So that is probably why he isn't anywhere yet.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

On the bright side, Ziemer made an impression at Sabres camp.

Brodie Ziemer

Buffalo’s third-round pick in 2024, Brodie Ziemer, was perhaps the surprise standout of the development camp. Ziemer’s most impressive attribute is his shot, and he used it numerous times to beat the goalies clean. While some of his puck skills need refining, his shot is NHL-ready at age 18.

The U.S. National Development Program under 18 team captain is headed to the University of Minnesota for a few years to become pro-ready. If Ziemer adds more confidence with the puck on his stick in tight areas, there’s a top-six ceiling in the cards for the 71st overall selection.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

The best part about Ziemer in my opinion is that his “best attribute” varies with each scouting report. Some say it’s his shot, some say it’s his playmaking/vision and others say it’s his compete and leadership. By all accounts he sounds like a total Swiss Army knife and the best part is it sounds like we’ll get him for at least 3 years

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1811105669057048793

JDPuck04, camo coat guy, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1264

Great video. Excellent vehicle for getting me more hyped.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

LOL

https://twitter.com/Mariucci_Guy/status/1811182569737568747

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I know it’s not exactly the hottest topic of discussion but does anyone know if Nick Michel is using his Covid year next season? I took August Falloon taking #9 to mean no.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4532
Post on old board: 12555

I know it’s not exactly the hottest topic of discussion but does anyone know if Nick Michel is using his Covid year next season? I took August Falloon taking #9 to mean no.

I can't think of a reason why he would.    Not one.

ReplyQuote

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2931
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @bertogliat

I can't think of a reason why he would.    Not one.

Two years on a Gopher roster makes a better story to tell the grandkids than one?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Isn't Brodzinski opting for being a free agent and not signing with the Flyers. Is that date still Aug 15th? So that is probably why he isn't anywhere yet.

lists now confirmed by gophersports, but I’d bet you’re right on Brodz

https://gophersports.com/news/2024/7/12/mens-hockey-seventeen-gophers-take-part-in-nhl-development-camps

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Needed to get my Gopher Hockey fix so watched the ‘23 Frozen Four games.  I’ll keep it on topic:

-Huglen and Pitlick played very well, looking forward to their Senior Season

-Nevers played a lot of big minutes and was in PK and PP rotations, also really good grinding pucks out of the boards.  I’ve been saying he will be 4th line but probably valuing scoring too much, likely it’s Kurth/Clark/Nevers on L3 or Kurth/Clark/Lamb with Nevers on L2.

-Doesn’t get talked about enough how Lamb being hurt impacted the Natty.  Glad Pino transferred.

-Koster was right with Lacombe, Faber, and Johnson in terms of caliber of play.  Looking forward to a healthy season with him back.

-Hope Wood can be a playmaker and think he’ll open up better looks for Snuggy.  PP will be back this year.

Hey drop the puck

TBGopher, JDPuck04, MikeEruzione11 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Huglen is pretty much confirmed to be back for a variety of reasons (most of which are social media based so I’ll spare you all) but I still haven’t seen anything on Pitlick. As of now I assume he’ll be back but I just get the sneaky feeling that once he becomes a free agent in August he signs with a new team.

Part of the reasoning convincing me that Rhett will be back is that as of now we are carrying 14 forwards (this is why I asked about Michel). If Pitlick intended to sign in August he likely would’ve told Bob in the end of year meetings. As of now it appears that wasn’t the case because a Pitlick signing would leave them very short at 13 forwards so if anything it’s a very good sign that they haven’t prepared for anything of the sort.

JDPuck04 reacted
ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2207
Post on old board: 5631

Huglen is pretty much confirmed to be back for a variety of reasons (most of which are social media based so I’ll spare you all) but I still haven’t seen anything on Pitlick. As of now I assume he’ll be back but I just get the sneaky feeling that once he becomes a free agent in August he signs with a new team.

Part of the reasoning convincing me that Rhett will be back is that as of now we are carrying 14 forwards (this is why I asked about Michel). If Pitlick intended to sign in August he likely would’ve told Bob in the end of year meetings. As of now it appears that wasn’t the case because a Pitlick signing would leave them very short at 13 forwards so if anything it’s a very good sign that they haven’t prepared for anything of the sort.

I'm not sure that Pitlick could even get an NHL contract at this time. I'm sure he could sign an AHL deal if he just wants to be done with school, but he isn't really an NHL prospect at this point of his career. 

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 163

Needed to get my Gopher Hockey fix so watched the ‘23 Frozen Four games.  I’ll keep it on topic:

-Huglen and Pitlick played very well, looking forward to their Senior Season

-Nevers played a lot of big minutes and was in PK and PP rotations, also really good grinding pucks out of the boards.  I’ve been saying he will be 4th line but probably valuing scoring too much, likely it’s Kurth/Clark/Nevers on L3 or Kurth/Clark/Lamb with Nevers on L2.

-Doesn’t get talked about enough how Lamb being hurt impacted the Natty.  Glad Pino transferred.

-Koster was right with Lacombe, Faber, and Johnson in terms of caliber of play.  Looking forward to a healthy season with him back.

-Hope Wood can be a playmaker and think he’ll open up better looks for Snuggy.  PP will be back this year.

Hey drop the puck

Agreed about Koster --- I was expecting more from him last year. Shows glimpses but not the true force of the PP he was the year before. Seemed dinged up the whole year and was never right. Hoping improved play from him and some playmaking from Wood will can open the ice up a little. Power play was just not very good last year IMO.

Interested to see new guys from the USHL and how they fit in as well.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @j22

I'm not sure that Pitlick could even get an NHL contract at this time. I'm sure he could sign an AHL deal if he just wants to be done with school, but he isn't really an NHL prospect at this point of his career. 

I agree.

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @j22

I agree.

only way I could see this with Pitlick is if he and Bob really had a falling out over the benchings and things down the stretch. That said, no idea why you’d want to cut bait and play AHL when you’ve got a team that could win a natty and you could greatly boost your image while doing another year at the U

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 30