109 Users
874 Reactions
43.5 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8050

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

Beckett Hendrickson has removed any reference to Gopher Hockey on his insta. I’m fairly certain that he had gopher hockey on it recently. 

He’s coming in don’t worry. A lil late to go shopping anyway.

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 163

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Posted by: @younggopherdiehard2

Beckett Hendrickson has removed any reference to Gopher Hockey on his insta. I’m fairly certain that he had gopher hockey on it recently. 

He’s coming in don’t worry. A lil late to go shopping anyway.

"Gopher recruit" still on his twitter, has already signed NLI so I believe he committed unless something significant happened and the Gophers released him from that. Doesn't seem likely.

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 360

His commitment post is back on his insta. False alarm, everyone carry on. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

After last summer no amount of paranoia is without merit😄

Jankwi01 reacted
ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 360

https://twitter.com/ryan_sikes10/status/1802507157868355821?s=46

This article indicates that Whipple is leaning towards coming to campus this fall, but Sioux Falls is trying to convince him to spend a year with them. 

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2153

I think it would be fun to start a new version of the College Hockey Showcase. How about MN & WI @ BC & BU. Then reverse it the following year. We'd only have to fly to Boston every other year. Seems doable.

maroon and gold, upnorthkid, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 343
Post on old board: 5728

Wasn't sure where else to put this...  Anyone have any opinions on club level seats?  I'm considering upgrading...

ReplyQuote

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2694
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @rowshkex

Wasn't sure where else to put this...  Anyone have any opinions on club level seats?  I'm considering upgrading...

I've been up there for a number of games. Had passes in the old days and have been with friends. You're a bit disconnected from the crowd up there and for fans who like to be a part of the game experience, it's not immersive. Personally, for the price Im not fond of the skyview  sight line from the end of the rink. There's a reason Mark Cuban sits on the floor.

Some people like that exclusive clubby experience (no judgements here). If your thing is to have a bit more space for lounging and dialogue, it's good for that, but I prefer sitting with the rabble.

I wonder if you can buy a pass for one game to give it a test run?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13399
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

The proposal from the U's Athletics Committee would allow fans to purchase canned and batched cocktails at concession stands in Huntington Bank Stadium, Williams Arena, Maturi Pavilion and 3M Arena at Mariucci as soon as fall. It would bring full-service bars to club rooms and limited bottle service in suites in the 2025-26 season and allow in-seat "hawking" in the football stadium, except in student sections, the following year.

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1803193544040919103

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4921
Post on old board: 28736

Yeah I am sure that won't be problematic at all...

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2571

Posted by: @handyman

serving cocktails and bottle service in the clubs? don't see any way it'll be more or less problematic than the beer. People get drunk either way. 

from a logistics standpoint, i could see it both ways. maybe it frees up lines a little bit by having things come to seats for some people, but they'll also need to massively up their staffing to try accommodate with runners. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

Looks like Whipple is coming in this fall

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 571

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Looks like Whipple is coming in this fall

Good for him, I like that he’s willing to compete.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
JDPuck04
(@jdpuck04)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 133

I know I'm an absolute Gopher hockey homer (and in welcome company)... But as I look at my homemade lineup chart - that I graciously overshare - I can honestly see a lineup where EVERY player (assuming health) is a 20 point + contributor this year. I mean the depth of the forward group only helps the potential defensemen point totals. And the depth is the best I may have seen in three decades (not saying top-tier talent like 22-23 with immediate NHL roster transition but 4 F lines and 3 D pair + extra). The entire starting lineup has two undrafted players in Nevers and Gruba, with Nevers being a 5th year and Gruba winning USHL defensemen of the year. Whipple likely getting drafted as your probable 7th Dman is a gluttony of wealth. 

We don't have to play scratch guys like Pino or Strobel (who left), worry about an upperclassmen that never got ice like Fish (who left for his extra year), or bring in an extra scratch guy from SJU like last year (also gone)... Whipple coming to campus keeps Rud and Begley off the ice. Win win. The next NAHL kid to be a Gopher will be a league hero!

Takes on previous posts:

1) Ziemer is a stud. He will be a 3rd line guy on the RW that pushes Brody Lamb for 2nd line minutes. While he may not score like your Knies, Cooleys, Snuggys, or Woods, the kid sees the game so well and works so hard that he will be on the scoresheet more often than not. He is a future letter wearer in the making. His C/LW linemates will score because of him (hello Hugelen / Wood / Pitlick / Kurth / Clark). 

2) If Nevers isn't on the fourth line and that wasn't part of Motzko's chat with him coming back - I'm grumpy. Wood and Pitlick have the first two lines locked up in some combo on his side, and Kurth's production has been better than his (plus he has future eligibility...). Sure push and teach the underclassmen, but don't take their icetime as the 5th year or push them towards the transfer portal. 

My biggest question:

1) Goaltending.

My second biggest question:

2) How things play out down the middle. We have so many guys with C experience and pressure to play in certain spots by the teams that drafted them. Moore, Wood, Hugelen, Clark, Hendrickson. Big time offseason rumors around Moore and Wood. Yeah we have Falloon too, who I love as a depth player with size. Nevers was recruited as a C out of Edina I believe... At least our faceoff percentages should be solid this year even losing Jax. 

This team feels like a Gopher team of old with a great balance of incoming talent and established players to push each other. To me... It is all about Airey. Sorry for the pressure kid! 

ReplyQuote

Miller77
(@miller77)
Rep Pts: 1

What about the Swedish kid? He was not on the freshman video yesterday.  Erik Paulson. (Spelling not correct)

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @miller77

What about the Swedish kid? He was not on the freshman video yesterday.  Erik Paulson. (Spelling not correct)

Per his social media accounts,  I believe he is at home visiting family so he isn't on campus yet for the photos. I assume the same can be said of the new goalie. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 110

@jdpuck04 

Jimmy Clark is likely the third line center, no? I thought I read he was at 60% faceoffs.

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

Moore, along with Ziemer, Hendrickson and Whipple invited to the World Junior Summer Showcase.

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/1803820184987136161?s=61&t=-_wGA13cAbVi0rBpXZvfNA

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @jdpuck04

I know I'm an absolute Gopher hockey homer (and in welcome company)... But as I look at my homemade lineup chart - that I graciously overshare - I can honestly see a lineup where EVERY player (assuming health) is a 20 point + contributor this year. I mean the depth of the forward group only helps the potential defensemen point totals. And the depth is the best I may have seen in three decades (not saying top-tier talent like 22-23 with immediate NHL roster transition but 4 F lines and 3 D pair + extra). The entire starting lineup has two undrafted players in Nevers and Gruba, with Nevers being a 5th year and Gruba winning USHL defensemen of the year. Whipple likely getting drafted as your probable 7th Dman is a gluttony of wealth. 

We don't have to play scratch guys like Pino or Strobel (who left), worry about an upperclassmen that never got ice like Fish (who left for his extra year), or bring in an extra scratch guy from SJU like last year (also gone)... Whipple coming to campus keeps Rud and Begley off the ice. Win win. The next NAHL kid to be a Gopher will be a league hero!

Takes on previous posts:

1) Ziemer is a stud. He will be a 3rd line guy on the RW that pushes Brody Lamb for 2nd line minutes. While he may not score like your Knies, Cooleys, Snuggys, or Woods, the kid sees the game so well and works so hard that he will be on the scoresheet more often than not. He is a future letter wearer in the making. His C/LW linemates will score because of him (hello Hugelen / Wood / Pitlick / Kurth / Clark). 

2) If Nevers isn't on the fourth line and that wasn't part of Motzko's chat with him coming back - I'm grumpy. Wood and Pitlick have the first two lines locked up in some combo on his side, and Kurth's production has been better than his (plus he has future eligibility...). Sure push and teach the underclassmen, but don't take their icetime as the 5th year or push them towards the transfer portal. 

My biggest question:

1) Goaltending.

My second biggest question:

2) How things play out down the middle. We have so many guys with C experience and pressure to play in certain spots by the teams that drafted them. Moore, Wood, Hugelen, Clark, Hendrickson. Big time offseason rumors around Moore and Wood. Yeah we have Falloon too, who I love as a depth player with size. Nevers was recruited as a C out of Edina I believe... At least our faceoff percentages should be solid this year even losing Jax. 

This team feels like a Gopher team of old with a great balance of incoming talent and established players to push each other. To me... It is all about Airey. Sorry for the pressure kid! 

Totally agree. This team is without a doubt deeper than the 2023 team. Whether they have the same high end production from the first rounders remains to be seen. Goaltending is the big wildcard. I for one have a lot of faith in Airey.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

Moore, along with Ziemer, Hendrickson and Whipple invited to the World Junior Summer Showcase.

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/1803820184987136161?s=61&t=-_wGA13cAbVi0rBpXZvfNA

Moore should be a lock. The others will have to earn it.

ReplyQuote
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

Moore should be a lock. The others will have to earn it.

Matt Mania is an awesome name

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

serving cocktails and bottle service in the clubs? don't see any way it'll be more or less problematic than the beer. People get drunk either way. 

from a logistics standpoint, i could see it both ways. maybe it frees up lines a little bit by having things come to seats for some people, but they'll also need to massively up their staffing to try accommodate with runners. 

Honestly I don't like that they serve beer either but that is a whole different argument...

And as someone who has bartended for over 20 years believe me liquor drunk and beer drunk are too different things.  And the ones doing it at sporting events are the ones you definitely don't want doing it. (seen it first hand serving at sporting events)

The logistics will be a whole different problem...but seeing as the third party company that does concessions are pretty incompetent anyways, I would bet this will be run terrible from the jump.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 740

Personally for me (which means little to nothing in this case) I get annoyed by intoxicated people who can’t handle their alcohol. My tolerance for it increases with some alcohol intake of my own but since I don’t see myself wanting to drink at a gopher hockey game to be able to enjoy the game better because of people around me being stupid, I guess I don’t really like this change. I’m all for a good buzz pregame and if I’m not driving home, a few beers afterwards too. I’m there to watch a hockey game the parties can be everywhere else but again that’s just me.

ReplyQuote
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Personally for me (which means little to nothing in this case) I get annoyed by intoxicated people who can’t handle their alcohol. My tolerance for it increases with some alcohol intake of my own but since I don’t see myself wanting to drink at a gopher hockey game to be able to enjoy the game better because of people around me being stupid, I guess I don’t really like this change. I’m all for a good buzz pregame and if I’m not driving home, a few beers afterwards too. I’m there to watch a hockey game the parties can be everywhere else but again that’s just me.

Friday night of the last UND series I was sitting in section 1 with a group of 20-something Gopher fans in front of me and a group of 4-5 UND fans behind me.  The one guy in front of us crushes at least a dozen beers over the course of the game.  Getting extremely loud and obnoxious with each one.  Middle of the third period he starts standing during play screaming obscenities at the ice (from 18 rows up).  We kindly asked him to sit down, to which he replied negatively.  "I can scream all I want, we're both Gopher fans."  Had to tell this guy that UND fans act like this, not Gopher fans.  And he was a disgrace to the maroon and gold.  He didn't like that.  A cop came by during our verbal altercation and took my side once he saw the pile of empty cans by the 20-something's feet.  I apologized to the UND fans behind us.  They were nice and we ended up making friends with them.  I would not have guessed walking into the arena that night that I would have to scold a drunk Gopher fan and make friends with UND fans.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 740

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Friday night of the last UND series I was sitting in section 1 with a group of 20-something Gopher fans in front of me and a group of 4-5 UND fans behind me.  The one guy in front of us crushes at least a dozen beers over the course of the game.  Getting extremely loud and obnoxious with each one.  Middle of the third period he starts standing during play screaming obscenities at the ice (from 18 rows up).  We kindly asked him to sit down, to which he replied negatively.  "I can scream all I want, we're both Gopher fans."  Had to tell this guy that UND fans act like this, not Gopher fans.  And he was a disgrace to the maroon and gold.  He didn't like that.  A cop came by during our verbal altercation and took my side once he saw the pile of empty cans by the 20-something's feet.  I apologized to the UND fans behind us.  They were nice and we ended up making friends with them.  I would not have guessed walking into the arena that night that I would have to scold a drunk Gopher fan and make friends with UND fans.

yeah that’s just it, it only takes one to ruin something for everyone. I have absolutely no problem sitting next to or around someone drinking whatever it is if they’re able to stay civilized and in control of themselves. I’m totally cool with that. But it’s that shit that is ridiculous and if adding the open bottle shop to the game increases those chances of it happening I think it’s a bad move for that percentage of fans that want to focus on a game.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

All of the student season tickets sold out in just 25 minutes! Could some of the cheers be a bit more creative? Sure. But it’s awesome to have a full student section! I remember some games in 2016 & 2017 when I was a student when the student section was like two thirds full. Usually it was decent but I can’t say that we had the same solid showing week in and week out that these kids do. 

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1264

Ziemer to Buffalo in Round 3.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

All of the student season tickets sold out in just 25 minutes! Could some of the cheers be a bit more creative? Sure. But it’s awesome to have a full student section! I remember some games in 2016 & 2017 when I was a student when the student section was like two thirds full. Usually it was decent but I can’t say that we had the same solid showing week in and week out that these kids do. 

That is awesome to hear!

ReplyQuote

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Whipple to Detroit in Round 5. All going close to where expected. Pahlsson pending.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1807135822740890042?t=Ti9FdwwguMmyYAV1kJoH1Q&s=19

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Good draft for the boys. Everyone who could have gone got picked. As the roster stands now there are 17 NHL draft picks which I have to believe is a program record.

BlueBandit24 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Good draft for the boys. Everyone who could have gone got picked. As the roster stands now there are 17 NHL draft picks which I have to believe is a program record.

I was curious about the number now. The undrafted guys in this class (Gruba/Falloon) look like strong three or four year players as well. It is all coming together.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 110

@bluebandit24 

It's entirely possible that Leo Gruba is better than all the drafted guys. His numbers in the USHL were by far the best among defensemen.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @jankwi01

@bluebandit24 

It's entirely possible that Leo Gruba is better than all the drafted guys. His numbers in the USHL were by far the best among defensemen.

Agree, believe most speculate Gruba will be the 6th D with Whipple as 7.

Forward group is the most exciting.  Will be interested to see how the top 12 shakes out.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Gruba invited to Nashville dev camp. I think he’s the only undrafted player invited to a camp from an admittedly small pool of undrafted Gopher players.

Airey was invited to Buffalo’s camp last year haven’t heard if he ended up anywhere this time around.

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 893
Post on old board: 5335

The Gophers posted this on instagram and I did one massive doubletake.

But there are tons of the youngins in the comments saying they wish it was true.

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2581
Post on old board: 6782

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

@

Posted by: @gopherguy05

But there are tons of the youngins in the comments saying they wish it was true.

That jersey is awesome.  Hope they go Vegas Knights with the all black/grey with gold trim.  Gotta change with the times.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

When do final rosters get posted?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7942
Post on old board: 18942

wtf is that abomination?

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4532
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @boninthebear

@

That jersey is awesome.  Hope they go Vegas Knights with the all black/grey with gold trim.  Gotta change with the times.

Time for the ban hammer. 

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Posted by: @bertogliat

Posted by: @boninthebear

@

Time for the ban hammer. 

Am I on Gopherhole?

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't hate it as a one time jersey...

ReplyQuote
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level

Speaking of one time jerseys, bring back the Hankinson alts for one game, preferably for Halloween

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4532
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

Speaking of one time jerseys, bring back the Hankinson alts for one game, preferably for Halloween

-- attachment is not available --

Also deserving of the ban hammer.

Greyeagle and Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

You Want A Piece Of Me GIF by Leroy Patterson

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1393

Just so you know that jersey is not the mysterious alternate that could be an option this season. Stay tuned, but that one is not it.

Also... Coyle going before the UMN Regents next week. The B10/NCAA Media deal coming means that the budget is going up to about $150M with the media rights going from $60.8M to $75M. It's good to be in the power two. The revenue share model will be the next big thing in FY26 when it sounds like the B10 schools will split up $20M/year to current student athletes somehow.

https://twitter.com/evegoe/status/1809277029277200540

Steve MN and Jupiter ♃ reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1809638158805410102?t=1hHtlLYdDyJBPJrC5krYPA&s=19

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4817

With Levshunov signing today, I’d have to think the Gophers are big ten favorites on paper now. Is it October yet? 

https://twitter.com/annk_mamaonice/status/1809620305150906756?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2571

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

With Levshunov signing today, I’d have to think the Gophers are big ten favorites on paper now. Is it October yet? 

https://twitter.com/annk_mamaonice/status/1809620305150906756?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

MN and Michigan I’d say are the clear top 2

ReplyQuote
Page 21 / 30