43.5 K Views
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2207
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @jankwi01

It looks like Leo Gruba was never drafted, anyone know why? He put up some crazy numbers in the USHL.

Wasn't eligible last year, wasn't doing much the two previous years.

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 110

@j22 

I haven't seen him in many mock drafts, is there a major hole in his game? The film looks pretty good and he is a big kid.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

@j22 

I haven't seen him in many mock drafts, is there a major hole in his game? The film looks pretty good and he is a big kid.

He's two years too old for this years draft.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4532
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @j22

@j22 

He made a big jump in points last year for Fargo.  Went from scoring 23 points (60 games) for Fargo 2 seasons ago to 57 points (60 games) last season.  Is this just an artifact of ice time or did he really make that big of a jump in his game in one year?

6'2" and 209 lbs.  He's got decent size and is 20 years old.  Could be a nice surprise for the Gophers.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

@j22 

He made a big jump in points last year for Fargo.  Went from scoring 23 points (60 games) for Fargo 2 seasons ago to 57 points (60 games) last season.  Is this just an artifact of ice time or did he really make that big of a jump in his game in one year?

6'2" and 209 lbs.  He's got decent size and is 20 years old.  Could be a nice surprise for the Gophers.

I think it's mostly the fact that if you put a decent player in the USHL at 20 years old, he will probably be able to put up good numbers.  Same reason why teams are able to win in the NCAA with mediocre 25 year old players. 

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 373

Posted by: @bigbeer

Posted by: @handyman

@handyman 

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to play North Dakota every year. That's one of the great rivalries in the sport.

Its really not.  It was when we were in a conference together...now I honestly don't care about it.  It means the same to me as a series against BC would mean...and since we never see that I would prefer that.

I am not saying we shouldn't ever play them...but there are plenty of good teams out there and I would rather play as many as we can.  Regional rivalries matter very little when there is nothing at stake.  

@steve-mn has it right...rotate the regional games and spice it up with something else.

A lot of the “rivalry” part goes back to when Hakstool was coach and obviously encouraged all the cheap and cheesy play they were known for. The fact that their fans ate it up and made excuses was not surprising at all. They also have a huge boner for us and I couldn’t care less if we play them or not. 

Gino Gasperini wasn't exactly putting figure skating cupcakes on the ice. 

And whomever mentioned no rivalries that pop off the page in the Big10 must not have been watching for too long.  Back in the 80's and earlier, the 3-way rivalry between MN, UND and WIS was like no other rivalry I am aware of.  The players all seemed to legitimately hate the players on the other teams, and of course that extended to the fans.  So while Wis has been a non-factor in some recent years, I think that for most who have been fans for several decades, they will always consider Bucky a rival. 

And I am guessing the legacy effect of older fans making it a point to show up with energy to those games against teams like UND creates the excitement that newer fans pick up on which helps carry the rivalry even after teams are no longer in the same conference or when one rival hits the skids for a period.

And lets face it, the Pioux are just evil.  So you have to cheer against them.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@j22 

Maybe you are right, but 22 goals and 57 points was top in the USHL for defensemen by a wide margin. I would have to think offensively he is going to be above average in the Big 10. 

ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

I know people will disagree with me. That’s fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I also know all of the reasons why this will never happen. But I truly wish that North Dakota was in the B1G. It would round it out with 8 solid Midwest teams and having Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Michigan all in the same conference would produce some fantastic hockey and only heat up the rivalries. I know that there’s no financial incentive for the B1G and there’s the whole academic issue but I really don’t care. Bring them as an affiliate only and enjoy some fun hockey. 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

@j22 

Maybe you are right, but 22 goals and 57 points was top in the USHL for defensemen by a wide margin. I would have to think offensively he is going to be above average in the Big 10. 

I'm not trying to say anything about the player Gruba will be at Minnesota, or beyond. 

I was just pointing out the timeline of why he was never drafted. Gruba seems like he could very well be the defensive version of Ben Meyers 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I know people will disagree with me. That’s fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I also know all of the reasons why this will never happen. But I truly wish that North Dakota was in the B1G. It would round it out with 8 solid Midwest teams and having Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Michigan all in the same conference would produce some fantastic hockey and only heat up the rivalries. I know that there’s no financial incentive for the B1G and there’s the whole academic issue but I really don’t care. Bring them as an affiliate only and enjoy some fun hockey. 

I would have more interest in playing North Dakota or UMD or St. Cloud if they were conference rivals.  But as long as they are non-conference, I would like to instill more variety into the schedule.  Otherwise it starts to feel like a real life version of Groundhog Day.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1512
Post on old board: 6912

I would have more interest in playing North Dakota or UMD or St. Cloud if they were conference rivals.  But as long as they are non-conference, I would like to instill more variety into the schedule.  Otherwise it starts to feel like a real life version of Groundhog Day.

Based on proximity (= travel cost) & the relationship between head coaches…while Gopher fans can wish for more variety in non-conf opponents, they’re still going to play the other MN schools, including St Thomas, regularly in the foreseeable future (along with the Fning Hawks).

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Based on proximity (= travel cost) & the relationship between head coaches…while Gopher fans can wish for more variety in non-conf opponents, they’re still going to play the other MN schools, including St Thomas, regularly in the foreseeable future (along with the Fning Hawks).

So long as they're selling out the arena, I guess that's fine financially.  Meanwhile North Dakota sells out every game AND chooses to play home games in Vegas and Nashville so they manage to be competitive, keep fans engaged without pinching pennies.   

ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

So long as they're selling out the arena, I guess that's fine financially.  Meanwhile North Dakota sells out every game AND chooses to play home games in Vegas and Nashville so they manage to be competitive, keep fans engaged without pinching pennies.   

The big difference is UND knows that is their main focus and they treat it as such. The U puts hockey behind football and basketball. 

ReplyQuote
Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 376

The big difference is UND knows that is their main focus and they treat it as such. The U puts hockey behind football and basketball. 

ReplyQuote

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 738

Posted by: @northerngopher218

Put another way:

UND relies on men's hockey along with a student body fee to fund their entire athletic department.

UMN makes tens of millions of revenue from football and basketball and their association with the B1G, while hockey makes a few million total.

Coyle knows where his bread is buttered.  He knows hockey is a profitable enterprise, but also knows that with the Wild down the street there is a market cap on that revenue.  By contrast, UND is one bad hockey season away from cutting other sports and exacerbating a potential Title IX problem.  Which position would you rather be in?

I am as big a Gopher hockey fan as anyone here, but I am also realistic on its appeal and profitability.  

HandyNotDan, MikeEruzione11, Greyeagle and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5153
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

Put another way:

UND relies on men's hockey along with a student body fee to fund their entire athletic department.

UMN makes tens of millions of revenue from football and basketball and their association with the B1G, while hockey makes a few million total.

Coyle knows where his bread is buttered.  He knows hockey is a profitable enterprise, but also knows that with the Wild down the street there is a market cap on that revenue.  By contrast, UND is one bad hockey season away from cutting other sports and exacerbating a potential Title IX problem.  Which position would you rather be in?

I am as big a Gopher hockey fan as anyone here, but I am also realistic on its appeal and profitability.  

Hey, this is the Internet, you know.  Stop replying with logical, well-reasoned information, it will confuse people.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Put another way:

I am not saying the Gophers have to host games in Vegas like UND.  But I am saying they can branch out and play more teams outside of Minnesota.  A trip or two to Michigan, Maine, Colorado, or Boston each year isn't going to kill the Athletic Department budget and it may even draw more interest to the team and get butts in seat for home games.

I know with my limited availability to attend games in person I'd pay to watch them play Maine, but I doubt I would go to a game vs Bemidji.  I don't think I am in the minority here either. 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1512
Post on old board: 6912

Put another way:

I am not saying the Gophers have to host games in Vegas like UND.  But I am saying they can branch out and play more teams outside of Minnesota.  A trip or two to Michigan, Maine, Colorado, or Boston each year isn't going to kill the Athletic Department budget and it may even draw more interest to the team and get butts in seat for home games.

I know with my limited availability to attend games in person I'd pay to watch them play Maine, but I doubt I would go to a game vs Bemidji.  I don't think I am in the minority here either. 

If you don’t think plenty of Gopher fans happily travel 2.5 hours, all on divided highway in October to Duluth, as my buddy’s Dad used to say “ Your flowering your nuts” Granted, this series draws a lot of local fans too & typically sells out. And when Dogs play Gophers at Mariucci, the crowds are big too. It’s about the 💵 to guys like Coyle & personal relationships to guys like Sandy & tBob. + both are U of M schools, as written on my college degree. lol

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@bertogliat 

I guess I'm in the minority. I like short road trips to other Minnesota teams.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Put another way:

If you don’t think plenty of Gopher fans happily travel 2.5 hours, all on divided highway in October to Duluth, as my buddy’s Dad used to say “ Your flowering your nuts” Granted, this series draws a lot of local fans too & typically sells out. And when Dogs play Gophers at Mariucci, the crowds are big too. It’s about the 💵 to guys like Coyle & personal relationships to guys like Sandy & tBob. + both are U of M schools, as written on my college degree. lol

I never said that and you know it.  I went to the game last year in Duluth and suggested they stop with the home and home series and just let fans have two games in Duluth for a real road trip weekend.

However I also said I'd prefer they kept it to 1 (sometimes 2) local teams per year and use the rest to play more exciting teams.  Next year the Gophers play 1x St Cloud (Exhibition), 2 x Duluth, 2 x St Thomas, and 2 x Bemidji.  Too much for me.  Cut one of those weekends and fill it with a bigger team from the East.

And the other non conference games are Alaska, Mercyhurst and the Ice Breaker.  Alaska and Mercyhurst are not exactly exciting and the non-conference schedule as a whole is not very competitive.  The ice breaker is great even though it won't likely be televised (I really wish I could go).

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

Is Airey better than Close? Is Souliere better than Close?

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2571

Is Airey better than Close? Is Souliere better than Close?

airey probably has all the things you'd look for to be better than close in that he's much bigger and seems to move well. Definitely more the prototypical NHL guy now. souliere at his best will be about a wash with close, however he was far from his best last year. whether that was just psu being trash or him regressing to his mean, impossible to say. i'd be pretty surprised if either guy is "better" than close this year. close is going to go down well up there in gopher hockey lore for many reasons. from his gopher hockey profile:

• Tied for first in Gophers history for career shutouts (13)
• Tied for first in Gophers history for career save percentage (.924)
• Second in Gophers history for career goals-against average (2.18)
• Sixth in Gophers history for career wins (62)
• Sixth in Gophers history for career games played as a goaltender (101)
• Seventh in Gophers history for career minutes played as a goaltender (5,625)
• Ninth in Gophers history for career saves (2,470)
• Second in Gophers history for single-season shutouts (6 in 2022-23)
• Seventh in Gophers history for single-season shutouts (4 in 2023-24)
• Third in Gophers history for single-season goals against average (1.95 in 2021-22)
• Sixth in Gophers history for single-season goals against average (2.02 in 2022-23)
• Fourth in Gophers history for single-season save percentage (.927 in 2022-23)
• Fifth in Gophers history for single-season save percentage (.925 in 2021-22)
• Sixth in Gophers history for single-season save percentage (.923 in 2023-24)

• Fourth in Gophers history for single-season saves (1,052 in 2023-24)

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid 

That's interesting I thought Close was average maybe a little below, but had a great team in front of him that protected him.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8050

@upnorthkid 

That's interesting I thought Close was average maybe a little below, but had a great team in front of him that protected him.

If you believe Close was below average you’re setting yourself up for disappointment just about every year 

TheBirdman, upnorthkid, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 571

The tying goal to Qunnipiac and 1st BU goal this year will always be the first things I think about when I think about Close unfortunately.

His NCAA performance statistics with some sort of factor on quality of the chance would be interesting to see if my perception is correct.

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 793

The first things I will think of when I think of Justen Close is him taking a team that everyone wrote off when his predecessor left to a Frozen Four. Then leading the team to one of the most fun seasons I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing and leading them to a National Championship game. Then being the backstop of another fun team and being 1 bad period away from a 3rd straight Frozen Four appearance. 

That, on top of this:

• Tied for first in Gophers history for career shutouts (13)
• Tied for first in Gophers history for career save percentage (.924)
• Second in Gophers history for career goals-against average (2.18)
• Sixth in Gophers history for career wins (62)
• Sixth in Gophers history for career games played as a goaltender (101)
• Seventh in Gophers history for career minutes played as a goaltender (5,625)
• Ninth in Gophers history for career saves (2,470)
• Second in Gophers history for single-season shutouts (6 in 2022-23)
• Seventh in Gophers history for single-season shutouts (4 in 2023-24)
• Third in Gophers history for single-season goals against average (1.95 in 2021-22)
• Sixth in Gophers history for single-season goals against average (2.02 in 2022-23)
• Fourth in Gophers history for single-season save percentage (.927 in 2022-23)
• Fifth in Gophers history for single-season save percentage (.925 in 2021-22)
• Sixth in Gophers history for single-season save percentage (.923 in 2023-24)

• Fourth in Gophers history for single-season saves (1,052 in 2023-24)

Will be what I think of when I think of Justen Close.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4921
Post on old board: 28736

As they should.  We are not a hockey school we are a D-1 program across the board playing in the most financially successful conference in history.

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 373

As they should.  We are not a hockey school we are a D-1 program across the board playing in the most financially successful conference in history.

I disagree.  MN should be a hockey first school with everything else taking a back seat.  I don't know why so many Minnesotans get this wrong and put so much emphasis on football and that 'sport' with the bouncy ball and little net thingy on a pole (not poll) that takes hours to play the last 2 minutes!  And I shudder when I see there is a thread for the Timberpuppies on this site and it is at the top of the portal. At a minimum, broadcasters should realize they have priorities wrong.  If the bouncyball is running late, let people read about it in the paper.  Switch your broadcast to the hockey game so as not to miss any of the game.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
ReplyQuote

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2581
Post on old board: 6782

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

SkiUMahLaw, Jupiter ♃, HandyNotDan and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2463

Would I love for hockey to be the main focus of the athletic department? Yes. Does it drive me nuts when they are put on the back burner for marketing time and money in favor of a mediocre football team that hasn’t been legitimately good in decades? Also, yes. But for better or for worse that is the way of the world. Football pays for basically everything. Yes, even a middling program like ours. To put anything in front of football would be asinine. Basketball has a fan base waiting for a reason to get excited. We are a hockey state but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a lot of basketball fans in Minnesota. Look at the excitement the Timberwolves generated this year. Watch old Gopher basketball games from when the team was good in the 70s, 90s, or even big games back in the early 10s against rivals/top competition. That game against Indiana back in 2012 or 2013 when the Gophers beat Cody Zeller and the Hoosiers had the Barn packed to the rafters. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We’re in a weird spot. Other Power Five schools like Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, etc. (basically the rest of the B1G) have football and/or basketball programs that are consistently good enough where hockey can be solidly labeled as a supporting role player and no one will really raise a fuss. “Hockey schools” like UND, Denver, BU, Duluth, etc. are set up where hockey is the show in town. Minnesota is neither of those. So this is the life that we live. While I’d like more success for all three sports I do like that Minnesota has a big three and that actually means something here. Even Michigan, a hockey blue blood, has plenty of fans that I’ve met who barely pay attention to hockey unless they’re in the frozen four. 

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

@eric-vegoe 
In the past (like 20 years ago), I was told that the hockey program netted the most revenue compared to what they spent.  Is that still true? 

math and memory I suck at these days so I could be wrong.  

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7942
Post on old board: 18942

The hockey revenue overall though pales in comparison and is not the driving force behind the B1G including the B1G channel. It's just a fact.

I think the U could still do more without negatively impacting fb and bb, but those 2 sports drive everything even in a hockey hotbed.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 163

I get Close may have let in soft goals in big moments, but IMO, he kept the wheels on the wagon at the beginning part of this season. In the midst of trying to replace 3 All-American caliber defensive men, he was shelled in the early part of the season and kept the Gophers in games, even when the offense (and particularly the power play) wasn't very good.

I can't tell you where he falls in Gopher goalie-dom greatness, but overall, I never worried about who was in the goal the past 2.5 seasons. 

HandyNotDan, Boats, Slap Shot and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level

@thebirdman is he even playing pro ho key right now?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7776
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @slap-shot

The hockey revenue overall though pales in comparison and is not the driving force behind the B1G including the B1G channel. It's just a fact.

I wasn’t trying to say otherwise.   Was just throwing out something I dusted the cobwebs off of in my brain. 😁

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7942
Post on old board: 18942

@thebirdman is he even playing pro ho key right now?

That's not how I evaluate a Gopher career. 

upnorthkid, HandyNotDan, Steve MN and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level

If Knies/Cooley/Snuggerud gets a single goal in the championship game 2 years ago, not a single person is questioning Close lol

gopheritall, upnorthkid, HandyNotDan and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @boats

If Knies/Cooley/Snuggerud gets a single goal in the championship game 2 years ago, not a single person is questioning Close lol

Correct.  Or if they had played the game as they had played games all season rather than sitting on a two goal lead for half the game praying nothing slips by.  I REALLY hated the coaching of that game and I hope if they are lucky enough to be in the same position in the next couple of year, the game will be played differently.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @koho

I disagree.  MN should be a hockey first school with everything else taking a back seat.  I don't know why so many Minnesotans get this wrong and put so much emphasis on football and that 'sport' with the bouncy ball and little net thingy on a pole (not poll) that takes hours to play the last 2 minutes!  And I shudder when I see there is a thread for the Timberpuppies on this site and it is at the top of the portal. At a minimum, broadcasters should realize they have priorities wrong.  If the bouncyball is running late, let people read about it in the paper.  Switch your broadcast to the hockey game so as not to miss any of the game.

This is, legitimately, the dumbest thing that has been posted on this board that did not include "Fire Lucia" or "Motzko Needs to Go".  No hyperbole, no joking...legit the dumbest thing ever posted on this board.  Congrats I think we are all done here!

Slap Shot, g-manpuck, Jupiter ♃ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Would I love for hockey to be the main focus of the athletic department? Yes. Does it drive me nuts when they are put on the back burner for marketing time and money in favor of a mediocre football team that hasn’t been legitimately good in decades? Also, yes. But for better or for worse that is the way of the world. Football pays for basically everything. Yes, even a middling program like ours. To put anything in front of football would be asinine. Basketball has a fan base waiting for a reason to get excited. We are a hockey state but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a lot of basketball fans in Minnesota. Look at the excitement the Timberwolves generated this year. Watch old Gopher basketball games from when the team was good in the 70s, 90s, or even big games back in the early 10s against rivals/top competition. That game against Indiana back in 2012 or 2013 when the Gophers beat Cody Zeller and the Hoosiers had the Barn packed to the rafters. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We’re in a weird spot. Other Power Five schools like Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, etc. (basically the rest of the B1G) have football and/or basketball programs that are consistently good enough where hockey can be solidly labeled as a supporting role player and no one will really raise a fuss. “Hockey schools” like UND, Denver, BU, Duluth, etc. are set up where hockey is the show in town. Minnesota is neither of those. So this is the life that we live. While I’d like more success for all three sports I do like that Minnesota has a big three and that actually means something here. Even Michigan, a hockey blue blood, has plenty of fans that I’ve met who barely pay attention to hockey unless they’re in the frozen four. 

People hate it, and refuse to admit it, but when basketball is good the average fan in this state cares more about that than hockey.  It honestly isn't really all that close.  Basketball is a national sport, with a cache hockey can only dream of anywhere outside of Canada.  Midnight Madness, even at the U in "off years" when I was a kid, would get thousands to show up. (my frosh year it was backed and Biz Markie played!)  Hockey is niche, with a fanatical fanbase, but it is a small fanbase nonetheless even in Minnesota.

(football is a different stratosphere...while I disagree with your assessment of the team even our program made money at its lowest and funded the athletic department.  Hockey was 3rd in money)

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5153
Post on old board: 10695

This is, legitimately, the dumbest thing that has been posted on this board that did not include "Fire Lucia" or "Motzko Needs to Go".  No hyperbole, no joking...legit the dumbest thing ever posted on this board.  Congrats I think we are all done here!

I agree.  And that puts it in rarefied air in terms of dumb things.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

none of that changes the fact that Close was handed a National title on a platter, and he choked.

ReplyQuote

Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level

I disagree.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

I disagree.

with what?

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level

I disagree.

with what?

With both it being on a platter and him individually choking. He faced 2x the shots. He faced defensive zone time for the majority of the game. Faced 6 on 4 at the end of the 3rd. Could he have saved it? Sure. Do I think it was on a platter and he choked? No. Then the OT goal was just a complete breakdown from everyone on the ice and a good play call from the other team. That happens.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 571

none of that changes the fact that Close was handed a National title on a platter, and he choked.

0.891 save percentage in 9 NCAA games.

Jankwi01 reacted
ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Stauber Level

Posted by: @boninthebear

Where did you get that? I see .919

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden

I disagree.

with what?

With both it being on a platter and him individually choking. He faced 2x the shots. He faced defensive zone time for the majority of the game. Faced 6 on 4 at the end of the 3rd. Could he have saved it? Sure. Do I think it was on a platter and he choked? No. Then the OT goal was just a complete breakdown from everyone on the ice and a good play call from the other team. That happens.

There's a ton of blame to go around the entire team for that game, but Close is certainly a big part of it. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @boninthebear

Where did you get that? I see .919

they can’t math or can’t read and realize the stats posted are saves not shots

ReplyQuote

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

I disagree.

with what?

There's a ton of blame to go around the entire team for that game, but Close is certainly a big part of it. 

Motzko and the leadership group (whoever you want to put as that guy/group of guys on that team) for the overall poor effort/response to quinnys push is the only one I'd "blame", that's controllable. The rest you could try say close, cooley, snuggy, etc., but those are all "moments" where shit happens, as it often does in a one and done. There were so many things that had to break just wrong to end up with the loss. Would you feel differently if one of the numerous one timers he gloved went in instead? It’s a fluky goal that caught him off that you see happen a lot in high pressure spots where the game is tight (hence the put the puck on net in the playoffs). He was incredible to that point and it’s brutal the time it happened at, but he had stopped probably 4-5 solid shots from the slot prior to that one going in that we all conveniently forget (I was also guilty of this in the moment). Had we won he was absolutely the mvp and to me we shouldn’t forget that part. Same as Perets literally gifting us an early goal and leaving the yawning cage Snuggy missed doesn’t make him a mediocre goalie either

camo coat guy and Boats reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 19 / 30