699 Reactions
56.1 K Views
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Wolverine fans gotta realize that the team that won the league by 19 points is gonna get the benefit of the doubt in a toss up with these award things. 

Puffy Chest U fans are nothing if not narcissistic. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2457

Let’s just curb stomp them this weekend in front of a sold out crowd and leave no doubt. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2517

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Posted by: @slap-shot

Oh boy, Michigan fans are really salty lol. Hate to see it. 

The Gophers owned the conference. Is their biggest gripe Knies or Faber?  Knies did lead the conference in GWG and Faber had the same +24 as Hughes.  Oh well. ? 

Those delusional Wolverine fans are all upset that Knies won POTY because “fAnTilli HaD mOrE gOaLS aNd aSSisTs tHan KnIes”. Failing to understand that there is much more to POTY than just scoring. Obviously that’s a big part but, doing my best to push all bias aside, Knies is definitely a better all around player and if I had to pick one to be on my team I’m picking Knies all day. Also, (bias back in full effect) Knies isn’t a little cheap shotting punk like Mr. Fantilli. 

There were also a couple of gripes about Faber getting picked over Hughes. Again, if I’m picking a defenseman for my team there’s only one way I’m going. 

Tbf there were also a few Gopher fans saying Cooley got robbed/snubbed by not winning Rookie of the Year. 

them not complaining about the faber pick would require them to realize defensemen actually are supposed to play defense

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2667
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @slap-shot

Oh boy, Michigan fans are really salty lol. Hate to see it. 

The Gophers owned the conference. Is their biggest gripe Knies or Faber?  Knies did lead the conference in GWG and Faber had the same +24 as Hughes.  Oh well. ? 

Those delusional Wolverine fans are all upset that Knies won POTY because “fAnTilli HaD mOrE gOaLS aNd aSSisTs tHan KnIes”. Failing to understand that there is much more to POTY than just scoring. Obviously that’s a big part but, doing my best to push all bias aside, Knies is definitely a better all around player and if I had to pick one to be on my team I’m picking Knies all day. Also, (bias back in full effect) Knies isn’t a little cheap shotting punk like Mr. Fantilli. 

There were also a couple of gripes about Faber getting picked over Hughes. Again, if I’m picking a defenseman for my team there’s only one way I’m going. 

Tbf there were also a few Gopher fans saying Cooley got robbed/snubbed by not winning Rookie of the Year. 

them not complaining about the faber pick would require them to realize defensemen actually are supposed to play defense

Defensive defensemen always get the shaft. Nice to see Faber get the nod. He's the best defensive defenseman on the team, and maybe in college hockey.

Award status is generally conferred on defensemen who score, but Faber transcends all of that. His passing, his vision, his ability to qb a power play, his defensive positioning, his skating...it's all off the charts. I think he's better than Paul Martin was back in the day, and he has a long NHL career waiting for him.

Anybody who doesn't see what Knies brings to the table just doesn't understand the game. It's pretty easy to look up the numbers and make a call based on that, but that wouldn't begin to tell you what Knies means to his team. It takes two guys to get the puck away from him, and even then they often fail. There's a reason one of those three guys is always open. You have to respect Snuggerud's shot while sending a second guy into the corner to help even the odds against Knies. That leaves two opposing skaters to handle Cooley plus two top defensemen.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2667
Post on old board: 15478

Does anyone else have trouble playing the gophersports.com links? For whatever reason they never work for me...just a black screen where the video is located. I thought I'd ask, in case someone had the same problem but worked it out.

None of them work, but here is the latest one:

https://gophersports.com/news/2023/3/14/mens-hockey-cinematic-recap-gophers-advance-to-b1g-title-game?utm_medium=email&elq_cid=431331&RSRC=Email&RDAT=1728&ehash=9d8eb4f0325905ef8b9bfc2ce943587c91906b098822f669c544a27c97352d50

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5013
Post on old board: 10695

Ugh.  Played around a bit.  Only plays in Micro$loth Edge as a browser.

Same video as was posted from Twitter, and it seems to play from there just fine in any browser:

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635430549237157891

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5552
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @steve-mn

Plays fine for me in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on my Mac.... On my iPhone as well.

The Twitter version works fine across the board for me too.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Steve MN reacted

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @steve-mn

Plays fine for me in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on my Mac.... On my iPhone as well.

The Twitter version works fine across the board for me too.

Upon further review, you're correct.  It's having an Adblocker that breaks the video.

Jupiter ♃ reacted
MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

It really is laughable seeing salty mich fans in the comments on social media complaining of Knies winning POTY.

I can think of no better response than for 89 to score yet another GWG this weekend & raise a banner! 

Cowgirl and Rau4SkiUMah reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7869

Got a sneaky feeling the boys are gonna come out with one of their best efforts of the whole year

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1635685604389183489?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I’m sure we can all agree that Bob’s very deserving of the recognition he gets & while he seems like the kind of person to rightfully acknowledge everyone that plays a role in helping the team succeed, he’s a big reason why there’s so much buzz & excitement around the state of the program & its future. Congrats to the bench boss!

Boodah06, trixR4kids, Cowgirl and 2 people reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13211
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1636049809973952559

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Kelly Red, MinnesotaKnies218, Cowgirl and 2 people reacted
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1336

So, evidently you don't have to be a nominee to be a finalist.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 441

It's a shame Faber's not on that list. Knies should win it though.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7800
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @mnnavy

So, evidently you don't have to be a nominee to be a finalist.

The fan voting list isn't even an official list of nominees.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Said this in the other thread but Jimmy is two goals away from leading that line in goals and points lol

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

While I would like to see Knies winning, I have a feeling the three finalists will be Fantilli, Graf and Pollin, with either Fantilli or Graf winning it all.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I do suspect that Fantilli may get it, depending on how much they look at the team, and sportsmanship/etc

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

A lot of the college hockey "experts"  that I follow on Twitter seem to think Fantilli will win it. A couple have Levi as the winner.  Knies has a shot despite scoring about 20 less points than Fantilli because he was B1G POTY and he is a more complete player. I know scouts are part of the voting process and the scouts love Knies. Reminds me of when Leo won it and how much the scouts loved Leo.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

Posted by: @gopherpete

It's a shame Faber's not on that list. Knies should win it though.

Maybe its my maroon and gold colored glasses, but I also think Knies has a really good chance at it.

As Frozen4 said above, NHL scouts have a decent to do with it and they love Knies. He is a total package player. I would be disappointed if he wasn't in the final 3.

Any Road
(@any-road)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 444

Its almost as if the team that won the conference by 19 points might have the best forward and defensemen on their roster. Smile  

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

The Hobey hat trick will be Fantilli, Knies and a mystery 3rd player. Northeastern getting knocked out so early hurts Levi’s case. Hell the third player could be Cooley. 

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

Did anyone come up with a name for the top line?  Or is it just: the Knies , Cooley and Snuggerud line. KCS is actually a train, which is actually not a bad comparison for how hard this line works together.

th 3193659766

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5915
Post on old board: 16243

Gophers 1st line

Keep your stick on the ice...

Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

Motzko called them the Fancy Pants Line once in an interview and that's always stuck with me

gopherfun83 reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I’ve been calling them the hot shots all season lol

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1364

Posted by: @frozen4champs

A lot of the college hockey "experts"  that I follow on Twitter seem to think Fantilli will win it. A couple have Levi as the winner.  Knies has a shot despite scoring about 20 less points than Fantilli because he was B1G POTY and he is a more complete player. I know scouts are part of the voting process and the scouts love Knies. Reminds me of when Leo won it and how much the scouts loved Leo.

Those experts know how to look up stats online. Neat.

We are down to the Hobey Committee stage now though, it's no longer a big voting process and one more weekend to impress.

HandyNotDan reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4458
Post on old board: 12555

The Hobey Baker award is supposed to be about sportsmanship too, not just points.  Fantilli had 19 penalties for 63 minutes in 32 GP.  Knies had 12 penalties for 27 minutes in 35 GP.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2457

And to my knowledge Knies hasn’t tried to spit on anyone. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

The article includes a photo by @Jupiter.

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1636725587564806146

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

THE photo by “Craig Cotner for the Star Tribune”

Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 272

@frozen4champs 

A toast to the other 1,500 fans there for the 2019 first round B1G series vs. Michigan.  Still have the ticket on my pinboard downstairs

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

My infamous photo that got me yelled at by Pat Micheletti has been making the rounds lately.

Get your own board!

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

My infamous photo that got me yelled at by Pat Micheletti has been making the rounds lately.

How dare you take a photo!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11260
Post on old board: 21741

Amazing you didn't get slashed!

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Posted by: @greyeagle

Amazing you didn't get slashed!

I don't think he was angry at me so much... Just more about how bad it made the U look and the entire sad situation.

Get your own board!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck

@frozen4champs 

A toast to the other 1,500 fans there for the 2019 first round B1G series vs. Michigan.  Still have the ticket on my pinboard downstairs

Only a handful of people can say they saw Quinn Hughes’s last game in college. Me and you are two of them?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4458
Post on old board: 12555

@frozen4champs 

Only a handful of people can say they saw Quinn Hughes’s last game in college. Me and you are two of them?

Something to tell your grandkids about. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

My wife and I are in the photo. I think there were 30 people in our section.

max27t
(@max27t)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 171

I'm watching the 1979 season on Big Ten Elite right now. It is amazing how the shots of the players or the bench immediately trigger recall of who was wearing that number. 40+ years ago and the memories of Williams Arena come flooding back.

Slap Shot and Steve MN reacted
JB
 JB
(@jb)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 40

After the Quinnipiac loss last night, the Gophers have clinched the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Couple that with a loss by UND in the NCHC Semi-Final, it is almost certain that Minnesota will be playing in Fargo for the Regionals. If I had to guess, they'll have St. Cloud State, Ohio State, and the winner of the AHA (Holy Cross or Canisius).

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

If any of the underdogs (CC, Colgate, or Northern) win tonight, than Alaska will be out of the tourney as well.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Torn between rooting for CC or Alaska. Only one can make it. 

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 157

Posted by: @joegopher

If any of the underdogs (CC, Colgate, or Northern) win tonight, than Alaska will be out of the tourney as well.

not true per USCHO predictor. Northern can win. Regardless they definitely don’t want upsets. 

Steve MN reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherhockeyfan7

Posted by: @joegopher

not true per USCHO predictor. Northern can win. Regardless they definitely don’t want upsets. 

This is correct.  Chatting with people on the reddit.com/r/collegehockey Discord server about the scenarios, and I did a deep dive.  If NMU wins, they bump Mankato down enough that Alaska passes them and is at 14.  Colgate and CC are the two teams Alaska doesn't want to win, none of the other games matter to them.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4803

Time for a 4 game winning streak. This is the season. No excuses, just win.

GO GOPHERS

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7690
Post on old board: 10120

Is it bad I’m already nervous?  Going to be a slow three days at work.  I love and hate this time of year all at the same time! 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

It’s our title to lose. The boys are prepared for this moment. 

max27t
(@max27t)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 171

Lots of work in progress at Mariucci today. Ice gone, benches and boards being disassembled. Concrete saws ready to go to work.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1865
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @max27t

Lots of work in progress at Mariucci today. Ice gone, benches and boards being disassembled. Concrete saws ready to go to work.

Tears

Page 21 / 26