684 Likes
50 K Views
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2194
Post on old board: 6782
Topic starter  

I think @Vegoe wrapped up the subject of Barty starting last night very well on Twitter before the game last night

https://twitter.com/evegoe/status/1583971956864393216

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

F Da Sue
(@f-da-sue)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 91

What were the important PWR things the Gophers locked up getting .66 of a win Friday night?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

My gut tells me Close saves one out of that 4 goal cluster. One more save is all we needed. 

Whatever. Barto will have his chances and I’m rooting for him!

If you want to be mad about something related to the 3 goal burst, be mad how the Gophers skaters couldn’t get the puck away from UND after dominating them up to that point.  They turtled.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7378

Posted by: @bertogliat

My gut tells me Close saves one out of that 4 goal cluster. One more save is all we needed. 

Whatever. Barto will have his chances and I’m rooting for him!

If you want to be mad about something related to the 3 goal burst, be mad how the Gophers skaters couldn’t get the puck away from UND after dominating them up to that point.  They turtled.

They were on the power play. Don’t teams on the power play typically have the puck?

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6907
Post on old board: 18942

The PK was inadequate all weekend.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2290

I think one of the biggest positives of this past weekend is the excitement around the program. I already mentioned the comments I saw on social media but the Strib comments section as well was surprisingly upbeat (once again, aside from some trolls). The sentiment I’m hearing around the program is that if we can mature and clean up the dumb penalties, this team can do something special. Also, the PK needs to be better. But my point is this is the most universally I’ve seen there be a positive attitude towards the program since possibly my freshman year of college, the 2013-14 season. I know this weekend was particularly special and unique due to the opponent and other circumstances. But I hope it’s a springboard not just for the team but also the fan base. This team is a lot of fun. Let’s make gopher hockey the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. 

MN State 0f Hockey, Cowgirl, F Da Sue and 2 people reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I think one of the biggest positives of this past weekend is the excitement around the program. I already mentioned the comments I saw on social media but the Strib comments section as well was surprisingly upbeat (once again, aside from some trolls). The sentiment I’m hearing around the program is that if we can mature and clean up the dumb penalties, this team can do something special. Also, the PK needs to be better. But my point is this is the most universally I’ve seen there be a positive attitude towards the program since possibly my freshman year of college, the 2013-14 season. I know this weekend was particularly special and unique due to the opponent and other circumstances. But I hope it’s a springboard not just for the team but also the fan base. This team is a lot of fun. Let’s make gopher hockey the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. 

So far, they're getting a little help from the mighty Wild this year. The attention on hockey is turning West.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

https://twitter.com/uscho/status/1584577378487263232?s=46&t=RU_l_MTHFo2OhD17CDOu2g

Gophers stay at 1 as I think they should

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Posted by: @streakygopher
Posted by: @rau4skiumah

So far, they're getting a little help from the mighty Wild this year. The attention on hockey is turning West.

Very true! The Wild are currently struggling, Gopher football has fallen apart, and unfortunately I don’t think Gopher basketball will be making a ton of noise this winter. Vikes are riding high right now but I still don’t know what to make of them. Finally, the other exciting team in Minnesota this year is actually potentially the Timberwolves. But of all of the Minnesota fan bases that would have the least amount of crossover with gopher hockey fans the Timberwolves fan base has to be it. So I’m not really worried about Gopher hockey and the Timberwolves having to compete for the same fans to go to their games. Anyway, it’s too bad that it’s at the expense of other Minnesota teams but Gopher hockey needs to take advantage of being one of the more exciting teams in town and run with it.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The Gophers have done well relative to other sporting options in town in the past.  I would put far less of the increased interest on what other teams in town are doing and more on the program showing more consistency the past few years as well as the U finally making an effort (even if it's slight) in trying to sell tickets and get butts in seats. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4341

Posted by: @slap-shot

The Gophers have done well relative to other sporting options in town in the past.  I would put far less of the increased interest on what other teams in town are doing and more on the program showing more consistency the past few years as well as the U finally making an effort (even if it's slight) in trying to sell tickets and get butts in seats. 

Couldn't agree more.. I really think the University needs to step up and make an effort to market the team this year.

The product on the ice is a great selling point and should be the general focus of emphasis to "casual" Gopher fans. This is the type of team that should be marketed as a must see ticket in town.

The hardcore fans are going to be there regardless.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

https://twitter.com/gopherhockey/status/1584665427187494912?s=46&t=vwWPDNIV8u7zAkEXXMQiiA

Here is a good start to what I mentioned right above. Keep the promotions up. 

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

On a related note, the U's posted the game promotions for this season.  Worth noting is that Saturday against ND, the U will be honoring last year's Frozen Four team and raising the conference championship banner

https://gophersports.com/sports/2019/3/19/mens-hockey-tickets#promotions.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12447
Post on old board: 9626

Posted by: @thinkbui

On a related note, the U's posted the game promotions for this season.  Worth noting is that Saturday against ND, the U will be honoring last year's Frozen Four team and raising the conference championship banner

https://gophersports.com/sports/2019/3/19/mens-hockey-tickets#promotions.

It is not listed, but rumor has it that when they play SCSU, they will also recognize the 2002 and 2003 FF teams.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 260

https://twitter.com/uscho/status/1584577378487263232?s=46&t=RU_l_MTHFo2OhD17CDOu2g

Gophers stay at 1 as I think they should

I don't see Wisco! Must be a typo?

The Rube reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7629
Post on old board: 35040

Don't troll. 🙁 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

Don't troll. 🙁 

Good Lord why not?

Chill Kessel reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

I know I’ve mentioned it before. Others have mentioned it before, but what is going on with Staudacher? I always liked his grit and tenacity. I think the freshmen D have been playing well but I don’t think they have all been playing so well that it completely takes Staudacher out of the equation. Cal Thomas for instance has for the most part been good. But there has been one or two games when he hasn’t been at his best. This past Friday for instance. So is there something going on between Staudacher and the coaching staff? Is he healthy? Is he really that much of a liability? I know there were a couple of times last year that he took a penalty when while playing very aggressive but for the most part he was a reliable part of Bob’s D corps for three years and now nothing. Got to feel bad for the kid. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I think he just got the short end of the stick when we over recruited our d a bit (Bob thought a couple would sign). In terms of puck movers 55 doesn’t stack up to any of the three freshmen unfortunately. I do feel really bad for the guy and I think we should offer him a 5th year with 14, 2 and 23 very likely signing. 

Next year’s D would look something like

Koster-Chesley

Thomas-Mittelstadt 

Fish/Staudacher??-Rinzel

Extra: Fish/Staudacher, Rud

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

I agree! If he is interested in coming back for a fifth year I think we should definitely offer it to him. He’s done more than enough to earn it. 

Any Road
(@any-road)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 444

staudacher is even on the team poster this year too

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @wnc

staudacher is even on the team poster this year too

So is Schmidt FWIW

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I've now seen a few comments from two different sites being critical of the ice this season at Mecca. Are those comments legit and if so what's the deal?

btw if this team can shore up the PP and PK they are going to be scary good.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

I've now seen a few comments from two different sites being critical of the ice this season at Mecca. Are those comments legit and if so what's the deal?

btw if this team can shore up the PP and PK they are going to be scary good.

I haven’t noticed any issues with the ice

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4582
Post on old board: 10695

Main ice issue I've noticed is the same as the past several years, with the holes for the goal pegs.  Those are just ridiculously bad.  Very common to see the peg sitting a good inch or two too high.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7203
Post on old board: 10120

It’s been extraordinarily warm outdoors so far this hockey season.  Wonder if that could have anything to do with it? 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

The ice is fine. The pegs are awful per usual. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1779
Post on old board: 8686

Well, it will be new ice next season. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

What is the status of the parking lot with respect to exiting after the game. The last report I remember is that it is not working well. Also, what’s the cost?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @composer

What is the status of the parking lot with respect to exiting after the game. The last report I remember is that it is not working well. Also, what’s the cost?

$10 event parking. 
My wife parked in the Maroon Lot (surface lot next to stadium across street from arena) and getting out wasn’t too bad. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Thanks

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

The ice is fine. The pegs are awful per usual. 

I don’t get that though.  You have a drill bit the size of the hole needed for the pegs.  Maybe a little compressed air to blow out the snow/ice rather than water and a bottle to try and suck the ice chunks out?

MNBassman
(@davey-j)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 208

Why is Cal Thomas playing ahead of Matt Staudecker again???

Formerly known as davey j.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @davey-j

biggest reason is probably because he's better than Staudacher.

But almost just as important is the fact that he will probably be a top4 guy next year, and it will be very helpful if Thomas has a year of experience under his belt.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Thomas is a guy that, although he’s taking his lumps right now, I can clearly see what he’ll (hopefully) turn into. If Thomas “pans out”, he’ll be a Brady Skjei type defender. Tall, long reach defender, good in transition and reliable in all three zones. And no I’m not saying he’ll be as good as Skjei I can just clearly see that’s where his development is taking him. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

If what I’m hearing about Staudacher potentially being able to redshirt this year is true, then totally go for it imo. If he gets the RS he could play for two more seasons after this one (1 RS + 1 Covid) and play until he’s 25. Why the heck not?

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1698

One of my main takeaways from Saturdays game was it is just such a luxury to have LaCombe come off on a change and get replaced by Faber.  The teams breakouts were very good this weekend, and I liked how they didn’t seem to get frustrated by Notre Dame’s defensive strategy.. 

I was also just over the moon when my fiancé (who is still learning hockey) leans over and tells me Notre Dames defensive structure reminded her of Minnesota State at the Frozen Four. It’s been fun to see her learn the game and begin to appreciate it over the past few years!! I told her in a few years she’ll be the expert ha! 

Looking forward to a sweep of the Nittany Lions! 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

trixR4kids reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/DylanLoucks4/status/1589688183369105408

https://twitter.com/DylanLoucks4/status/1589680843597176833

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

A year ago at this time the Gophers were 6-4 and 11th in PWR.  Yes, I get PWR doesn't matter at all until into January.  But, 11 of the top 15 in the PWR at this time a year ago made the tournament and we made the Frozen Four.

So, early indicator that we're looking good for the long haul.

Though, interestingly, at this time a year ago Denver was 37 in the PWR.  

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1589718449009283072?s=20&t=LAk_OW12bkckz-kR5iopZQ

MNBassman
(@davey-j)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @j22

But almost just as important is the fact that he will probably be a top4 guy next year, and it will be very helpful if Thomas has a year of experience under his belt.

Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more!  Thomas might very well have a higher ceiling, but he is also a complete mess out there!  He panics all the time and is a turnover machine!

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @j22

Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more!  Thomas might very well have a higher ceiling, but he is also a complete mess out there!  He panics all the time and is a turnover machine!

Sounds like Staudacher minus the penalties. 

I don't think it would hurt the team at all to play Staudacher for Thomas, but you're not going to gain anything either.  The difference is that Thomas is likely to get much better than he currently is, and that will happen much faster if he's actually in the lineup. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I can think of many a defenseman who looked shakey in their first semester with the team. Thomas will be fine. 

Staudacher isn’t a turnover free player either. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10421
Post on old board: 21741

I can think of many a defenseman who looked shakey in their first semester with the team. Thomas will be fine. 

Heck, as good as he was his FR year no one fought the puck more than LaComb in the first half of last season.  It happens to the best of players and especially noticeable with 1st/2nd year dmen.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Go to 1:28:00

I think when Ballard talks about the 02 team, this years team is in the same spot. I don't mean this to say Staudacher should or should play over Thomas. Everyone has a role on a team and the most successful team achieve their goals when everyone buys into their role on the team. We need to just trust Bob that he puts these guys in the right roles and everyone buys in. I look at guys like staudacher and fish that easily could have left when they saw who's coming in and who's returning. I think there is a lot of guys that are bought into Bob's vision and goal for the team and we need to trust that.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10421
Post on old board: 21741

That was fantastic, thanks for the link.

They called Vanek "Teen Wolf", that is too funny!  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
MNBassman
(@davey-j)
Wooger Level

@maroon_and_gold 

25 year olds playing college sports…yay!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@maroon_and_gold 

25 year olds playing college sports…yay!

Not suggesting we build an entire team out of middle aged men ala Kato, but in this instance since it’s legal, toss Staudacher a bone

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Just a random observation but this season’s schedule makes it four straight seasons when the Gophers have been scheduled to play at Penn State on the second to last weekend of the regular season. However we didn’t play the series at Penn State in February of 2021 due to Covid. B1G must like having the Gophers at Pegula in the final stretch of the season. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

is the Blue Line Club not a thing anymore?  I was looking at Goal Line Club stuff and then was trying to find Blue Line Club Info. And nothing since 2017 I could find. 

Page 2 / 26