24 Posts
16 Users
11 Reactions
wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 245
Topic starter  

Who likes the upcoming non-conference schedule?  Is it too weak? Are playing a lot of Minnesota schools each season that exciting?

Should we try to play the better schools from back East that we normally do not see? Should North Dakota be an annual match-up?

What do you think???

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5800
Post on old board: 16243

A weaker non conference schedule seems to work for PSU. Not saying it’s a good thing, but seems to work if you can get through your non conference sch. unscathed.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4652

Posted by: @wincav

Should we try to play the better schools from back East that we normally do not see? Should North Dakota be an annual match-up?

They play North Dakota the next 4 seasons starting in the fall of 2025.

I think a fair criticism is the lack of playing eastern teams like BU/BC/Maine. I believe there is a good chunk of us fans that would love to travel out east.

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1320

I've heard that Motzko isn't too keen on playing SCSU at this point. I certainly could understand how that's a tough relationship as his ties to that community are so strong.

I also heard that Minnesota State isn't interested in scheduling the Gophers right now. Looking at their schedule with North Dakota, Omaha and Michigan makes it seem like they wanted some variety there too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bl9Tq91I0hqnBJy00jR-UhHcj0ivctpU/edit#gid=403465873

BC already has western dance partners Michigan State and SCSU, BU has NoDak and Michigan... I still think we'll see the Gophers schedule the Boston schools soon.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4862
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @wincav

They play North Dakota the next 4 seasons starting in the fall of 2025.

I think a fair criticism is the lack of playing eastern teams like BU/BC/Maine. I believe there is a good chunk of us fans that would love to travel out east.

Even if we can't make the road trip, just get some different teams into Mariucci, please.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7589

Is the schedule soft? Yes, but I’m fine with it if it’s just for one year. Pad our record a bit. I don’t wanna see it become a trend however.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

I've heard that Motzko isn't too keen on playing SCSU at this point. I certainly could understand how that's a tough relationship as his ties to that community are so strong.

I also heard that Minnesota State isn't interested in scheduling the Gophers right now. Looking at their schedule with North Dakota, Omaha and Michigan makes it seem like they wanted some variety there too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bl9Tq91I0hqnBJy00jR-UhHcj0ivctpU/edit#gid=403465873

BC already has western dance partners Michigan State and SCSU, BU has NoDak and Michigan... I still think we'll see the Gophers schedule the Boston schools soon.

Id be fine with St. Thomas becoming an annual thing. Having a crosstown “rival” hasn’t been possible til a few years ago and it’s kind of fun. I love college hockey at the X and once they get their new arena there should be some fun 50/50 split atmospheres in those buildings.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Id be fine with St. Thomas becoming an annual thing.

🤢 

Good lord please no.  The non-conference schedule needs to have variety.  Adding another school as an "annual" thing just makes it worse.

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @steve-mn

🤢 

Good lord please no.  The non-conference schedule needs to have variety.  Adding another school as an "annual" thing just makes it worse.

K not annual but very common how about that

ReplyQuote
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 78

@eric-vegoe 

You got any more detail on Mankato not being interested? They not confident in their program? I would think Motzko would want to play St.Cloud did he burn a lot of bridges?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

🤢 

K not annual but very common how about that

Every 4 years or so on average is plenty.  There's 5 Minnesota schools and North Dakota to play "regularly"  Two weekends a year of that group is enough.  Based on actual history, North Dakota in particular, and Duluth to a lesser extent, should be a little more regular that the other 4.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7409
Post on old board: 18942

I honesty couldn't care less if they play the other MN schools regularly outside of UMD.  Although if I had to pick between SCSU and Mercyhurst and the like of course go local.  

wincav and gator reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2295
Post on old board: 6782

Posted by: @jankwi01

You got any more detail on Mankato not being interested?

If I had to guess by what my bosses tell me from donor gatherings with the staff is that they already have in place a good mix of scheduling that the fanbase enjoys without relying on bringing in Minnesota every year.  Honestly they do a good job of mixing in the in state schools each year besides a series from an out of state team for non conference games.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1320

Posted by: @g-manpuck

If I had to guess by what my bosses tell me from donor gatherings with the staff is that they already have in place a good mix of scheduling that the fanbase enjoys without relying on bringing in Minnesota every year.  Honestly they do a good job of mixing in the in state schools each year besides a series from an out of state team for non conference games.

As much fun as it'd be to watch, not many Minnesota coaches would like to play a non-conference schedule of NoDak, DU, BC, BU and Quinninpiac every year. Every coach wants a mix of a couple top teams and couple teams they feel like they should sweep... and I'm sure other schools in the state feel the same way.

ReplyQuote

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 333

I think the ideal schedule would include one old rival (UMD, SCSU, DU, CC, MT, NU, UND), someone from the HE every year (preferably BC, BU, UMass, UNH, MAINE), One team from the ECAC , and then wildcards where it can be anyone.  Get a mix of perennial top 20 PWR and some mid-tier and bottom tier.  Might be a hard schedule to manage, especially given the U's penchant for preferring $$$ from home games to good hockey, but it provides variety.

If all you are trying to do is generate revenue and have 6 of 8 NC games at home, you will always have a turrible Non-Con schedule.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @joegopher

If all you are trying to do is generate revenue and have 6 of 8 NC games at home, you will always have a turrible Non-Con schedule.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is the real driver for the NC schedule.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4061
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

Posted by: @g-manpuck

As much fun as it'd be to watch, not many Minnesota coaches would like to play a non-conference schedule of NoDak, DU, BC, BU and Quinninpiac every year. Every coach wants a mix of a couple top teams and couple teams they feel like they should sweep... and I'm sure other schools in the state feel the same way.

There's nothing saying you can't find a sweapable team with a familiar name from Hockey East or ECAC for some variety.  I don't know why, but I'd rather play Northern Michigan, Mass Lowell or Vermont than Mercyhurst.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't mind playing Mercyhurst once or twice... but then move on to NMU, or UML, etc.  I don't want to see BC or BU on the schedule nearly every year any more than I want to see Bemidji 3 out of 4 years.  Would I like to see them occasionally?  Of course... get a couple years with BC, then a couple with BU, then a couple with NMU, then a couple with Cornell, etc.

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 855
Post on old board: 5335

Frankly the fans have a lot to play in this as well.  The Gophers aren't going to drop season ticket prices.  So they almost need to schedule this way to have a certain number of games in the package because many--not all but many fans will complain if they are still paying full freight for a season ticket but there are 2-4 less games per season even if they are playing more interesting road opponents. 

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1259
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Frankly the fans have a lot to play in this as well.  The Gophers aren't going to drop season ticket prices.  So they almost need to schedule this way to have a certain number of games in the package because many--not all but many fans will complain if they are still paying full freight for a season ticket but there are 2-4 less games per season even if they are playing more interesting road opponents. 

I know I am not a college graduate but I can not understand how the U of M can continue to be charging the highest ticket prices for college hockey, they have not won a national championship since 2003

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1034

Posted by: @gopher6

I know I am not a college graduate but I can not understand how the U of M can continue to be charging the highest ticket prices for college hockey, they have not won a national championship since 2003

When was the last championship the Vikings won?  Do they fall in line for ticket pricing with other teams that fall there in terms of championship recency? 

That has nothing to do with ticket pricing.

Northern Gopher 218, upnorthkid, Steve MN and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4061
Post on old board: 12555

In a free market price is set where supply meets demand.  They're setting the price to maximize revenue.  

In Stearns County you have different demand and thus a different price.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4147
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @bertogliat

In a free market price is set where supply meets demand.  They're setting the price to maximize revenue.  

Except they are significantly higher than all the other schools, not just rural ones. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2358

Posted by: @bigbeer

Posted by: @bertogliat

Except they are significantly higher than all the other schools, not just rural ones. 

idk what you missed about the “supply/demand” part. 

To me, the U has a substantial “money making” strategy regarding hockey almost nowhere else in the country can match. You have your big money donors eating box seats and season tickets (ie 3M, Medtronic, etc) coupled with all the pro sports teams driving up ticket prices elsewhere which makes the Gopher ticket price seem like a “deal” comparatively. Now add that to we are one of the only hockey programs in a major metro area in a hockey hungry state. When you’re setting prices against nothing, ie what UND and Denver are doing versus just other college sports, ie what BC or Wisconsin are doing, you can’t ramp prices as aggressively even if you’re winning. 

in short, this is an incredibly unique supply/demand situation that the U has decided to hammer their season ticket holders in, rather than ramp things to the general public to incentivize season ticket holding. They’re getting better with things like the buy back program, but the “discounted” rate (and perks/incentives for scanned tickets) could be better to reward your diehards who want to be there

ReplyQuote